Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2009, 11:27   #706
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Shahnawaz lets work on a week long camp somewhere in the jungles of Karnataka during monsoon. I should have a 4x4 by then. Am not too familiar with the place but I have a friend who has a house in Chikmagalur with an open invitation to stay there and explore the countryside.
Hey, that's within 4 hours from my place.
Old 13th February 2009, 11:46   #707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...lets work on a week long camp somewhere in the jungles of Karnataka during monsoon. I should have a 4x4 by then. Am not too familiar with the place but I have a friend who has a house in Chikmagalur with an open invitation to stay there and explore the countryside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Sure. This monsoon we will plan a week long OTR/Camping trail -- should be fun with all the muck & slush around.
Old 13th February 2009, 14:56   #708
BHPian

Quote:
I should have a 4x4 by then.
DKG: After your dream LC100, what have you decided to buy now?
Old 14th February 2009, 03:41   #709
BHPian

Gurkha Sir -> Easy Sir Easy :-)
I have learnt immensely from you. If you remember, in the start I was also the same. Fixed ideas and thinking I am ALWAYS right (Typical Punjabi type thinking)
With time I learnt to open my mind and look elsewhere.

I know that after years and years of teaching in institutions of repute, both India and US, it's sort of second nature for you to hammer your point in to make everyone understand.
But here's my request. Just gently explain Bikram and leave it at that. If it makes sense to him, then that's good enough. This is an internet forum meant for knowledge sharing anyways. The knowledge is here and people are free to pickup whatever part of the knowledge they like.

How's the Gurkha running, by the way? I know the Engine is seeing Chevron's Delo 400. What about the tranny and differentials? (Just came to my mind as I was also thinking of flushing all fluids to either Mobil1 or Redline synthetic)
I'm slowly getting interested in rugged 4WD vehicles. My Subaru is a good stepping stone towards that. All thanks to you :-)

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 14th February 2009 at 03:44.
Old 14th February 2009, 09:13   #710
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The plantation belongs to a close friend and he would welcome a camp at his place. I am not familiar on the terrain around Chikmangalur, do you feel it affords some good offroading opps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Sure. This monsoon we will plan a week long OTR/Camping trail -- should be fun with all the muck & slush around.
Really looking forward to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
DKG: After your dream LC100, what have you decided to buy now?
There is a used 1998 VXR for sale GT but I'm a bit hesitant as its the V8 petrol. I'll go bankrupt running it

I'm hoping the Gurkha with the CRDi unit gets released soon but looks unlikely until after monsoon.

Am trying to get a new 550, which I am told also gets upgraded for the army this March.

Then there's a possibility I just might opt for the Fortuner as it would afford long distance travelling comfort too and in 4x4 guise enable me to do trails
Old 14th February 2009, 09:49   #711
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The plantation belongs to a close friend and he would welcome a camp at his place. I am not familiar on the terrain around Chikmangalur, do you feel it affords some good offroading opps?
It is a hill country, an offroading haven. Check these threads:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-o...reen-dale.html
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...en-some-2.html (River Tern Jungle Lodge, Kemmanugundi and then some…)
Old 14th February 2009, 20:23   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
I am non technical guy who has never done off-roading before.

Someone said about beginners luck I fully agree. I got stuck in slush in NCR OTR meet. But then one senior member took it umpteen number of times through deeper slush to tell me and pep me up (I was feeling down), that this vehicle is good, and you just need to practice more and you would be able to do it as easily! Most of the members had nice words to say to it. I also think I was able to clear the obstacles with ease because of Naveen/Amit and Randeep cheering me and guiding me.

Hi Rahul,

you did great in the OTR. The only reason you got stuck was that you need to get used to driving ofroad. One or two OTRs you will control on your acceleration and the experience will teach you to select the right gear. Thats it.

See you on 21st at the OTR.

Regds

Amit
Old 15th February 2009, 00:38   #713
BHPian

Quote:
There is a used 1998 VXR for sale GT but I'm a bit hesitant as its the V8 petrol. I'll go bankrupt running it
I Agree!

Quote:
I'm hoping the Gurkha with the CRDi unit gets released soon but looks unlikely until after monsoon.
Should be a good choice - but with the uncertainties of Force Motors, I don't think you will get this machine for your Chikmagalur OTR.

Quote:
Am trying to get a new 550, which I am told also gets upgraded for the army this March.
I have no idea of MM Jeeps - By the way, have you considered any of the Bharat Motors modified MM's in H'Bad?

Quote:
Then there's a possibility I just might opt for the Fortuner as it would afford long distance travelling comfort too and in 4x4 guise enable me to do trails
Seems to the best choice - but is this launched in India?
Old 15th February 2009, 10:49   #714
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
have you considered any of the Bharat Motors modified MM's in H'Bad?
You'd have to go to them with the basic Jeep and work up. Time is a big constraint for me in doing so. The finished product is anywhere upwards of 5.5 lacs. I'd rather buy a new 550 in that case.

Quote:
Seems to the best choice - but is this launched in India?
Fortuner is slated for a June/July launch
Old 18th February 2009, 04:58   #715
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Some interesting reading on Gurkha's grand daddy.

Mercedes celebrates 30 years of the G-Wagen with special EDITION30 - Autoblog
Old 18th February 2009, 09:38   #716
BANNED

I am missing Gurkha's acid wit on this thread.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:20   #717
Team-BHP Support

Is the Gurkha a G wagon clone like the Cherry QQ from china is the Chevy spark clone?
Old 18th February 2009, 10:50   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Is the Gurkha a G wagon clone like the Cherry QQ from china is the Chevy spark clone?
its not a stolen copy, its not a clone either!

its under license production including the MB engine. and its exported back to Germany and its a BIG hit there!
Attached Thumbnails
Trax Gurkha - As good as it gets??-tempo_trax_010.jpg  

Old 18th February 2009, 11:38   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

its under license production including the MB engine. and its exported back to Germany and its a BIG hit there!

Nice find param, classic pic!!
Old 18th February 2009, 11:43   #720
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

So the current Gurkha which people can buy has a an Engine Built by Force Motors under License from Mercedes Benz.
What about the body,chassis and Transfer case etc., Is that also licensed from Mercedes?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks