Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:29   #586
BHPian

i had read some reviews of the M&M Axe and they all spoke highly of it. But what most of these magazines do not do is conduct a complete and hardcore 4X4 test of the available options in india and come out with a verdict. Also the gurkha due to its made to order requirement never features in any comparo.

But i saw one yesterday while driving back i think it was the toofan, and it does have significant rear overhangs. i have never seen a single gurkha black beauty on the roads!
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:34   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
It's with A/C on. Hardly drive without A/C.
ok, cool . 14kmpl with A/C on is very good.

The Force dealer here did mention the mileage of 14kmpl, glad that it is actually happening.
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:49   #588
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How highly do you rate Mahindra Axe which is suppose to come out soon?
M&M had allowed some journalists to drive the vehicle. Forget which magazine. The review was positive but I don't remember specific details
Old 3rd February 2009, 15:43   #589
Senior - BHPian

rhandle's gurka looks amazing. But i do agree with that the bull bar is a bit huge and would look a lot better if it was smaller and black in color.

The pic with safari looks like the bull getting tamed:-)
Old 3rd February 2009, 15:46   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanramesh View Post
i had read some reviews of the M&M Axe and they all spoke highly of it. But what most of these magazines do not do is conduct a complete and hardcore 4X4 test of the available options in india and come out with a verdict. Also the gurkha due to its made to order requirement never features in any comparo.

But i saw one yesterday while driving back i think it was the toofan, and it does have significant rear overhangs. i have never seen a single gurkha black beauty on the roads!

do you receive mail of luck saying forward it to 10 or 20 people & u will get good news within 48hrs or like that... well gurkha is so rare its of that breed when you see a gurkha tell it to tbhp or few of your friends & surely you will get some news.

Just kidding ... no personal attackes.
Old 4th February 2009, 20:53   #591
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Surely there are two more, Maruti Gypsy and Willys CJ2A
How about Jonga which I own or the Pajero or Patrol.
Old 4th February 2009, 22:40   #592
BANNED

Quote:
The international press especially the Euro press have thoroughly tested and reviewed the Gurkha, lately so have the Indian press, actually the Judo was tested against CJ, Gypsy, Safari and applauded for its extreme off road capabilities by Overdrive mag in 2000 so its not that it hasn't received its share of reviews and comparisons.
Old 5th February 2009, 02:00   #593

Quote:
I ave done 7K till now and te average has moved from 11KMPL to 14 KMPL, mostly inside the city.

Cannot use the Hi-speed diesel, if I use hi-speed ten the vehicle begins to emit black gas, another user of new Gurkha told me to get normal diesel only. I actually panicked after seeing the black smoke after filling the vehicle with Hi-speed. I do not know the reason why this is happening.
Hi Maan:

The black smoke could be due to the problem stated below.

In BS3 disel engines that are made in India, there is an unit called potentiometer which is controls the fuel spray quantity and timmings which is further controlled by electronic circuit.

This unit sits after the rotary pump.

If the potentiometer does not open and close properly either due to fault in the unit itself or in the electronic circuit that controls it, you get black smoke at the exhaust. Further even the power is compromised.

A perfect BS3 and above engine is not at all possible to build without a high preassure common rail or pump deuce controled by microcontroller which means that the engines available in India are BS1 BS2 patched to work somewhat as BS3.

For the same reason, none of these BS3s are exported to Europe as BS3s.

Therefore, get the unit checked.

Ganesh Laxmanmurthy
Old 5th February 2009, 08:36   #594
BANNED

The problem with additive diesel is just not limited to Gurkha BS-III engine alone, Toyota forbids additive diesel, so does FORD and Skoda, all of them develop the black smoke issue. Now I wouldn't think Toyota, Ford et al would do a patch job for BS-III so there has to be another issue here. OTOH, my ancient all mechanical IP OM616 turbo and HINO W04D run merrily with Turbojet and they run far better. If I put regular diesel, the engines take a rough note and the acceleration is not as smooth. Also I less smoke on these engines with additive diesel, both my ancient Euro-I engines pass Euro-II requirements with ease.
Old 5th February 2009, 08:56   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post

The international press especially the Euro press have thoroughly tested and reviewed the Gurkha, lately so have the Indian press, actually the Judo was tested against CJ, Gypsy, Safari and applauded for its extreme off road capabilities by Overdrive mag in 2000 so its not that it hasn't received its share of reviews and comparisons.
Gurkha Sir,
That was not a jab at the mighty Gurkha. It was a jab at me
You really don't have to defend the Gurkha on that one.
Relax and take it lightly.

Cheers

Last edited by gotzuk : 5th February 2009 at 08:59.
Old 5th February 2009, 09:48   #596
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
Gurkha Sir,
That was not a jab at the mighty Gurkha. It was a jab at me
You really don't have to defend the Gurkha on that one.
Relax and take it lightly.

Cheers
Not at all............enjoying the discussion, keep it up.
Old 5th February 2009, 10:01   #597
BHPian

The Jonga, for comparison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
The Jonga has been out of commercial availability for so long that it isn't fair to include it in a comparison.

The Pajero, on the other hand, is.

Again, by the same criterion, the Patrol oughtn't be; available new (in current avatar) but not as a matter of routine, from the dealers of the brand.

OT:

You probably know that you are among the most envied people for owning a working Jonga. There are still one or two trickling out in Army surplus auctions. I don't have the nerve to get one because I need to build up the basics for the family first; a good sedan capable of touring long distance comes first, a city runabout replacement for the wife's Santro comes second.

A company in Calcutta had a fleet of twenty, but is now reduced to the last three. They had taken out the engine, replacing it with Tata 1210s (a driver opened the bonnet and showed it to me, but I was only able to figure out the Tata identification, not much detail visible on a dirty engine in a badly-lit Calcutta street), thrown out the 4WD and generally converted it into the equivalent of a Tata 407. A real shame.
Old 5th February 2009, 10:28   #598
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonobashi View Post
The Jonga has been out of commercial availability for so long that it isn't fair to include it in a comparison.

Again, by the same criterion, the Patrol oughtn't be; available new (in current avatar) but not as a matter of routine, from the dealers of the brand.

OT:

You probably know that you are among the most envied people for owning a working Jonga. There are still one or two trickling out in Army surplus auctions. I don't have the nerve to get one because I need to build up the basics for the family first; a good sedan capable of touring long distance comes first, a city runabout replacement for the wife's Santro comes second.

A company in Calcutta had a fleet of twenty, but is now reduced to the last three. They had taken out the engine, replacing it with Tata 1210s (a driver opened the bonnet and showed it to me, but I was only able to figure out the Tata identification, not much detail visible on a dirty engine in a badly-lit Calcutta street), thrown out the 4WD and generally converted it into the equivalent of a Tata 407. A real shame.

I have the original diesel Jonga issued to civillians by VFJ. The only salient point apart from the original Nissan design is the stunning HINO W04D engine which I treasure along with my OM616 turbo in the Gurkha. I had to do lots of work on the Jonga to get it working as the factory had just given me a shoddy piece of unfinished vehicle.
Old 5th February 2009, 10:31   #599
Senior - BHPian

Gurkha, the mention of the gypsy and CJ2A was entirely in reference to gotzuk and not for a general comparison.
Quote:
...You probably know that you are among the most envied people for owning a working Jonga.
Not to mention that it was delivered brand new from VFJ. The image associated with this machine is so amazing, even initially i was in a thought to lay hands on one, but then just didn't have the guts and nerves!
Quote:
...A company in Calcutta had a fleet of twenty, but is now reduced to the last three. They had taken out the engine, replacing it with Tata 1210s (a driver opened the bonnet and showed it to me, but I was only able to figure out the Tata identification, not much detail visible on a dirty engine in a badly-lit Calcutta street), thrown out the 4WD and generally converted it into the equivalent of a Tata 407. A real shame.
Oh thats a new information, never knew it. Some are visible in various parts of Rajasthan also, but offcourse the internals are all changed as you mentioned.
-regards,
Old 5th February 2009, 10:31   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

OT:

A tat 1210 engine? was it a six cylinder engine? usually these vehicles are converted with 4 cylinder diesel engines, out of M&Ms or any other pickup.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks