Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2009, 10:32   #571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
....Somehow all this Gurkha talk was making me believe that the only 4x4's left in the world are Gurkhas, FJs and G Wagens...
Surely there are two more, Maruti Gypsy and Willys CJ2A
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:19   #572
BHPian

Well, I guess we shud not be fighting over which is the best. There is no absolute in anything. Everything is a compromise. At times you have to compromise for power for Fuel efficiency or creature comforts for more off-roading stuff.

One my friends told me that he has the go anywhere vehicle which Gurkha or any jeep cannot beat. He told me tht his vehicles can make their own roads... and trust me his vehicle does. He has got fleet of JCB earth moving vehicles

This is the Gurkha thread so lets highlight positive or negatives of Gurkha rather can comparing all the vehicles. Every body got the vehicle they thought it is best suited to them, why we shold comment on anybody's choice. Let's all enjoy what they are made to do i.e. off-roading!
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:12   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
...One my friends told me that he has the go anywhere vehicle which Gurkha or any jeep cannot beat. He told me tht his vehicles can make their own roads... and trust me his vehicle does. He has got fleet of JCB earth moving vehicles ...
Good one, rhandle !

I saw the pics of the your Gurkha in the NCR meet (25 Jan) thread. Looks like you had lots of offroading fun at that meet. Hope all the initial niggles are sorted out in your Gurkha.

What is the mileage you get in the Gurkha? And do you use normal or hi-speed diesel?

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 2nd February 2009 at 13:15.
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:27   #574
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Roughly speaking your offroad prowess is impacted by 33% your skill, another 33% your choice of tyres depending on the terrain you intend tackling, and 33% your vehicle.

Be it a Gypsy, Jeep, or Gurkha I think you have atleast 25% on the vehicle side taken care of, give or take a few points, which means all of them are reasonably capable vehicles atleast given the kind of terrain you throw at them in India

Now with some freeing of choice in tyres here in India, if you get that right another 25% should be taken care of.

Which leaves us with the fun bit, you and your talent. Keep practicing, doing more and more OTR's and as you get to know your vehicle intimately you will improve and I'd say a 25% goal is achievable.

Which means with any of the above vehicles, right tyre choice and loads of practice most 4x4 owners should be able to handle the bulk of terrains you will encounter

Its pointless to declare one car as inherently better than another.

Here as we are discussing the Gurkha as often reiterated by many the essentials of this car are robust and designed purely for offroad use. Perhaps its weight and other quality issues still need to be addressed.

There are some who feel buying a Jeep for 70k and spending 1.5 lacs max is the ultimate VFM offroader. For some a used Gypsy is just right. For some a new Gypsy is perfect given its basic quality. For some a Gypsy with mods is the way to go. And for some the Gurkha with its pedigree and mechanicals appeals

To me a strong diesel engine, ample axle articulation, front and rear diff locks and a robust chassis is all I desire in my offroader. Right now only the Gurkha offers that. I want this mix bad enough to be willing to pay 10lacs for the upgraded version as and when they release it.

If Force delay it to 2010 then my next option is a new Gypsy. If MUL scrap the Gypsy then I'll buy an old 2dr Prado and do it up with difflocks. If 2drs are hard to find i'll go for the old hardy 80 series TLC and mod it with diff locks. If even that option fails me then I'll buy a used Jeep and do up the mechanicals.

So you can see we all have tons of options. What each one of us does is entirely his prerogative given how he views his tastes and prefs.

At a recent drag a souped up Supra blew a Ferrari on the 1/4 mile. Will I go out and buy a Supra? No way. I always found the Supra a boring car to drive. Am I disappointed at the Ferrari not faring well at a drag? No way. She was like a supermodel on the ramp. Her poise, the sound, the pedigree.

Lets us not knock each other's choices or preferences. Just think about it. Most wouldn't consider your choice of wife/gf Cars are not too far off
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:21   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post

To me a strong diesel engine, ample axle articulation, front and rear diff locks and a robust chassis is all I desire in my offroader. Right now only the Gurkha offers that. I want this mix bad enough to be willing to pay 10lacs for the upgraded version as and when they release it.

If Force delay it to 2010 then my next option is a new Gypsy. If MUL scrap the Gypsy then I'll buy an old 2dr Prado and do it up with difflocks. If 2drs are hard to find i'll go for the old hardy 80 series TLC and mod it with diff locks. If even that option fails me then I'll buy a used Jeep and do up the mechanicals.

So you can see we all have tons of options. What each one of us does is entirely his prerogative given how he views his tastes and prefs.
Well said DKG. Its all what turns you ON!!! But amazed that jeep would be the last thing you would consider, but again your choice!
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:11   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Good one, rhandle !

I saw the pics of the your Gurkha in the NCR meet (25 Jan) thread. Looks like you had lots of offroading fun at that meet. Hope all the initial niggles are sorted out in your Gurkha.

What is the mileage you get in the Gurkha? And do you use normal or hi-speed diesel?
I ave done 7K till now and te average has moved from 11KMPL to 14 KMPL, mostly inside the city.

Cannot use the Hi-speed diesel, if I use hi-speed ten the vehicle begins to emit black gas, another user of new Gurkha told me to get normal diesel only. I actually panicked after seeing the black smoke after filling the vehicle with Hi-speed. I do not know the reason why this is happening.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:19   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I ave done 7K till now and te average has moved from 11KMPL to 14 KMPL, mostly inside the city....
That is pretty good mileage ! Thanks for the info.

Is this with A/C or without ? I think this factor should not affect the mileage since it has good low-end torque spread.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:21   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
next option is a new Gypsy. If MUL scrap the Gypsy then I'll buy an old 2dr Prado and do it up with difflocks. ..
looks like you might have to scrap the Gypsy - i went enquiring to the maruti dealer, and they said that now only the army can purchase the Gypsy, and us mortal civis cant! :(
Old 2nd February 2009, 20:25   #579
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
looks like you might have to scrap the Gypsy - i went enquiring to the maruti dealer, and they said that now only the army can purchase the Gypsy, and us mortal civis cant! :(
How come tbhp memeber Sha picked up a new gypsy king last year?

Old 2nd February 2009, 20:50   #580
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Madan:

Read Sha's story about the gypsy. Many dealers in bangalore discouraged him since they would rather sell you an SX4 than go through the pain of ordering a gypsy for you. If you really want one, you have one. If you asked the dealer one question and he says "No" and you come back and post the "No" here, you probably don't *need* one :-).
Old 2nd February 2009, 21:01   #581
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
Every dealer tells the same recorded story "military production". If you want to buy new one you can. if you have determination you can buy new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
How come tbhp memeber Sha picked up a new gypsy king last year?
Read my story louis in initial ownership report, I had determination to buy new one.
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:02   #582
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
But amazed that jeep would be the last thing you would consider, but again your choice!
Not really Vinod. While I wait for the Gurkha I am trying to get someone to put in a word to Anand Mahindra to release a new military spec 550. I totally love the way the 550 is. Love the detailing on it.

The used disposal Jeep option is the last one, only coz they would require a complete rebuild from scratch and sadly I don't have much time left on weekends to take on another project
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:32   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
That is pretty good mileage ! Thanks for the info.

Is this with A/C or without ? I think this factor should not affect the mileage since it has good low-end torque spread.

It's with A/C on. Hardly drive without A/C.
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:34   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Not really Vinod. While I wait for the Gurkha I am trying to get someone to put in a word to Anand Mahindra to release a new military spec 550. I totally love the way the 550 is. Love the detailing on it.

The used disposal Jeep option is the last one, only coz they would require a complete rebuild from scratch and sadly I don't have much time left on weekends to take on another project
How highly do you rate Mahindra Axe which is suppose to come out soon?
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:23   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How highly do you rate Mahindra Axe which is suppose to come out soon?
Do you have any new (2 week old or newer) info on the Axe? I thought it was a dead deal. ??????

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks