Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 01:10   #781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
He's been given the Gama pricing for sure. Or I will take the next flight to Thane and buy the Gurkha.
Lol..How desparate are you? Now if only there were flights to Thane.

I cannot frankly understand the pricing of 4x4 vehicles in India.

Major 4x4 at 6 lakhs - for an absolutely spartan vehicle
Gurkha at 8-9 lakhs - All you get is A/C + PS(?)
Xenon at 7-8 lakhs
Bolero also similar.

Why cannot they have a 4x4 under 5 lakhs? or with creature comforts at 6-6.5 lakhs? The market would surely open up, if the pricing is right.
Old 20th March 2009, 10:11   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post

Xenon at 7-8 lakhs
Bolero also similar.

Why cannot they have a 4x4 under 5 lakhs? or with creature comforts at 6-6.5 lakhs? The market would surely open up, if the pricing is right.
I wud say Gurkha and other vehicles is perfectly priced. These companies are having enough money to employ great and intelligent people do the pricing for them, and with experience.

BTW in Gurkha you also get the front and rear differential locks, PTO and tubular chahsis (different than others). Chk out the prices of lockers and PTO in open market and things would began making sense to you.

Even if considering we are making Jeeps from Mayapuri a good one with A/c and PS would end up somewhere close to 5, and it would be a jugad (make shift arrangement) and not factory fresh and of course no guarentee. Besides you also think of the labor and time you will have to devote to it. All the people I have seen who love jeep and try to restore one become half mechanic and technical guys themselves by the time their project is over.

I might be wrong but this is my take at this point.

Last edited by rhandle : 20th March 2009 at 10:13.
Old 20th March 2009, 11:37   #783
Senior - BHPian

This one had me in splits....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
All the people I have seen who love jeep and try to restore one become half mechanic and technical guys themselves by the time their project is over.

I might be wrong but this is my take at this point.
Old 20th March 2009, 11:47   #784
Senior - BHPian

Frankly I was taken very much by the Gurkha.I didnt know such a beat existed in India until i sae the posts of Team-BHP.
But 8-9 lakhs and 1 Year wait is bit of too much i feel for a home steed.While Used Pajeros could be available in 6-8 lakhs range,they are more iconic from a possession point of view.
Old 20th March 2009, 12:20   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post

Xenon at 7-8 lakhs
Bolero also similar.

Kuttapan,
I agree with you completely. There was a time (some 8-10 years back) when vehicles like MM540 4wd was priced about 4 lakhs and so was CL 550 MDI. A hard top was about 5 lakhs on road with 4wd.

1. Even iam annoyed of the fact that one doesnt get even basic comforts like PS +A/C with 4wd for about 6 lakhs on road!!

2. These companies make super normal profits on these vehicles which are way beyond what one makes on hatchback or 3 box cars.

3. Volumes could be an issue but tell me how much does it take to provide an improved engine with turbo charger? The dies are age old so they didnt have to invest anything on it except for timely revamp.

4 Agreed more metals goes into making an MUV, but what are the developmental costs of vehicles like CL550, GAMA, Maruti Gypsy king, Tata SUmo etc? Nothing close to a hatchback car that meets all the crash test norms plus providing excellent NVH, and in some cases super powerful engines.

There isnt enough competition in Indian MUV 4x4 market. Hence existing players have oligopoly kind of control over market.

I feel base bolero is still over priced however the top end variants are value for money. Over 4500 units a month companies like Mahindra should not have a problem in reducing the base version price to realistic levels.
Old 20th March 2009, 12:30   #786
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
While Used Pajeros could be available in 6-8 lakhs range,they are more iconic from a possession point of view.
If used Pajeros were available for 6-8 lakhs, nobody would buy Bolero, Scorpio, Gurkha and Safari. I have not heard about any decent used Pajero at that price range.
Old 20th March 2009, 12:39   #787
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
While Used Pajeros could be available in 6-8 lakhs range,they are more iconic from a possession point of view.
I'll take one, what year are these?
Old 20th March 2009, 13:07   #788

pajero

There's a guy selling his 16 year old Pajero 2.5 (SWB), asking for 6.5 lkh should i pick it.
Old 20th March 2009, 13:14   #789
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligator View Post
There's a guy selling his 16 year old Pajero 2.5 (SWB), asking for 6.5 lkh should i pick it.
Totally depends upon the condition.

YES YES if its good
Old 20th March 2009, 13:17   #790
Distinguished - BHPian

Why dont you start a NEW thread and post pictures there Alligator? Dont mess this thread up - or you'll set the Force on you.
Old 20th March 2009, 14:11   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would not as spares and maintenance might become an issue. Looking at from a technology view point, automotive industry has advanced quite a lot so getting stuck with an old car for your regular use wouldn't make sense. Plus a I'm not sure how capable would a 16 year old car (however well maintained) be to take regular off roading.
Old 20th March 2009, 15:02   #792

Please read post # 780. OM 611 is only being developed for traveller category of vehicles to meet BS IV norms and there are no plans to upgrade GURKHA to BS IV norms. This is coming from forces technical guy sitting in bombay
Old 20th March 2009, 16:42   #793
BHPian

Quote:
Please read post # 780. OM 611 is only being developed for traveller category of vehicles to meet BS IV norms and there are no plans to upgrade GURKHA to BS IV norms. This is coming from forces technical guy sitting in bombay
LOL. First thing never trust what a Force guy tells you blindly. Use your judgement, Alligator.

Bro OM611 is already there in Gurkha and Judo and is being exported to US. So the question of development is not there. If you dont believe... here it is...

Read under Options

and yes 130 BHP can be out only from 611!! and CRDI option also means 611.
Trax Gurkha - As good as it gets??-cm-capture-1.jpg

If you want to Download PDF TRAXArmored.pdf

Last edited by rhandle : 20th March 2009 at 16:45.
Old 21st March 2009, 09:32   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
LOL. First thing never trust what a Force guy tells you blindly. Use your judgement, Alligator.

Bro OM611 is already there in Gurkha and Judo and is being exported to US. So the question of development is not there. If you dont believe... here it is...

.....Download PDF Attachment 113973
So Force already makes Judo with OM611 in Pune, but does not sell it in India? Why do all these auto manufacturers think that India is a back-water market where they can continue peddling decades old technology? Thankfully the small-car market seems to be catching up with the rest of the world. I will be glad when the same happens in the MUV/SUV segment also.

And thanks for the Trax_Armored PDF.

Cheers.
Old 21st March 2009, 12:22   #795
Senior - BHPian

i had a funny conversation with a sales man of the NOIDA dealer of Force Motors about Gurkha. ( i called him from Dubai)

i asked him if they sell Gurkha and he said NO.

i asked him where can i buy it, he said with them only!

i said if you dont sell it how can i buy it? he said i have to book it with them!

50,000rs deposit and 15 days delivery!! WHAT?? just 15 days?

i asked him few more detailed questions about Gurkha and then he said, sir if you can call me after 2-3 days i will find out EXACT details of the vehicle and the right amount and number of correct days for delivery!

what a JOKE force motors have made about this vehicle. a good vehicle and pathetic sales job for it!

i will be calling this sales man again on monday and lets see what kind of info he comes up with.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks