Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2006, 15:07   #31
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
Good Question?

Which brings in another point? Is it possible to tune the engine for performance/mileage using pete's tuning box?? Has anybody done it before??

Manish
Friend, No electricals in that engine, except for alternator and starter,, where do you connect the petes box...
Old 27th April 2006, 15:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
Friend, No electricals in that engine, except for alternator and starter,, where do you connect the petes box...
What a breath of fresh air - no ECUs, all mechanical. I'm beginning to like the sound of this vehicle.
Old 27th April 2006, 15:12   #33
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
What a breath of fresh air - no ECUs, all mechanical. I'm beginning to like the sound of this vehicle.
Kinda of feeling.... Back to mother nature No unnecessary gyan to engine
Old 27th April 2006, 17:11   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
Oops, yeah i kinda forgot that in all the excitement
Old 27th April 2006, 21:51   #35
BHPian

The mileage I am getting with A/C on ALL THE TIME is 9.5 Km / Ltr in Bangalore traffic and 12.5 Km/ Ltr on highway (if you dont cross 100 kmph) .

This is with a 5.3:1 rear end If you get a 4.9:1 you might get better mileage. ( Just a guess ) .
Old 3rd May 2006, 19:26   #36
BHPian

Hey guys I have known these beasts to be very capable, and reliable. And best of all you see them doing duty all over south india, what more do you thing about?

And yes It may not be a honda, but it has a better suspension than Mahindra.
Old 8th May 2006, 15:04   #37

Hello Ram,

Good to read your review on this forum too. I meant you mail you back again after I wrote to you a long time ago wondering why you were selling the bolero ... Now I understand why ... Any info on how it performs in cold conditions/high altitudes .... ? I have a tentative plan to drive to ladakh this year and I am thinking of selling my '97 410W gyspy and getting a 413 gyspy ... but yes, open to other options too ...

The only things I have against the Gurkha is the usual complaints of the FORCE attitude, bad interiors, etc etc ... but most of them are liveable with if the vehicle is good at the end of the day ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss
The mileage I am getting with A/C on ALL THE TIME is 9.5 Km / Ltr in Bangalore traffic and 12.5 Km/ Ltr on highway (if you dont cross 100 kmph) .

This is with a 5.3:1 rear end If you get a 4.9:1 you might get better mileage. ( Just a guess ) .
Old 8th May 2006, 19:16   #38
BHPian

What is the turning radius of the 2400 Gurkha?? I am curious..
Old 8th May 2006, 23:13   #39
BHPian

rrnss..

is your gurkha 4 x 4 black by any chance ?

have seen a fabulously well maintained black gurkha 4 x 4 move in and around the forests in Bandipur often ..
Old 18th July 2006, 11:07   #40
BHPian

Hey guys,

Came across this great thread, am really getting excited about the Gurkha! I see the options as limitless. Just thought these two pics would show one option of what can be done to the Judo..

Cheers!
Old 18th July 2006, 14:20   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread is an eye-opener. Have seen the names - Judo, Gama on Trax's, but never thought much of them. And with the image of the Trax in mind, never didnt follow-up either. Had heard a mention of the Gurkha somewhere, but again, the same lack of follow-up.
The video leaves no doubt of the vehicles capabilities .. just wish I had know of this before I got my TCIC Victa ..

Quote:
I put it in 4-Low and 4th gear and take my feet off the clutch and acclerator and at idling speed , it just crawls along to where ever I want it to go.
Do this with the Victa - crawling city traffic and all I do is put in first, and get off the clutch and acclerator. Just keeps going. Love this kind of behaviour.

Quote:
The vehicle is driven from Indore (Pithampur) to it's destination.
Almost all vehicles apart from cars are delivered like this - Mahindra's, Sumo's .. I think Scorp's are also driven down ..wont be surprised if Safari is driven down. Exceptions should be the Ford's and CR-V's.
Consolation is that the vehicles are supposedly handled well during this drive. No over-speeding, no rash driving, except for may be the rough patches.

Thanks for those detailed posts, rrnsss.

Last edited by condor : 18th July 2006 at 14:22.
Old 18th July 2006, 18:06   #42
BHPian

is it euro-III compliant ? if not might be a problem in mumbai & other cities
Old 19th July 2006, 11:00   #43
Senior - BHPian

The Force Motors website mentions only a

"
Quote:
Short Wheelbase - 5 door,2400 mm
" model, leaving everyone to presume that it is the "Gurkha".

And that too nothing is written about a soft-top version as well.

Among the options comes a 4-cyl Direct Injection engine. Is that the Direct Injection intercooled engine that was being talked about here ?
Old 19th July 2006, 14:32   #44
Senior - BHPian

Can you specify these 'quality problems' ?? If you are referring to build quality, then that is not a great issue as I work in a garage I can easily tackle most issues !

And from what I have heard, the ride quality is quite good for a vehicle of this class ! That's good enough for me !
Old 19th July 2006, 14:34   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saajan_20
crossing 100 kmph does strain on the average in a big way in crusing in these vehicles i am asking so becoz planning a long road trip in my qualis and a freind mentuioned the same. does it matter ??? shed some light
Well, there is no hard-and-fast limit of 100kmph - varies from car to car. But it is definitely true that high-speed driving uses up more fuel. One reason for this is that the drag or air resistance increases at high speeds. Note that this could again vary based on how aerodynamic the car is (depends of Cd - coefficient of drag, if I am right).

If you want to get the max FE on highways, stick to a constant (wherever possible) speed between 80 - 100 kmph. And it is safer too on our highways. But then, when your car can do a max speed of 175kmph (as in my case), it is tough to resist the temptation of flooring the pedal. I have gone to a max speed of 140kmph on highways, but usually stay below 120kmph.

Most Viewed