Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2014, 22:49   #541
Senior - BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

In these twenty years of off roading I have seen landcruiser engines seize attempting to ford two feet of water at speed. Mahindra MM550 seize it was fitted with snorkel and a pipe in the exaust leading to the roof level.

Pulled out and towed a Mahindra Classic from Ramganga river to Ramnagar. Water had entered the diesel tank as well.

And all these Thars of these new off roader wannabe boys in Gurgaon !

The Thar can ford water to a normal limit of about half the wheel immersed or the upper limit about 12 inches, anything above that could be inviting trouble.

Besides a sealed snorkel, exaust level raised, plastic sheet taped to the front of the car and all electrical components sealed with plastic and duct tape attempting serious water fording has led to many disasters.
desertfox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 10:42   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
In these twenty years of off roading I have seen landcruiser engines seize attempting to ford two feet of water at speed. Mahindra MM550 seize it was fitted with snorkel and a pipe in the exaust leading to the roof level.

Pulled out and towed a Mahindra Classic from Ramganga river to Ramnagar. Water had entered the diesel tank as well.

And all these Thars of these new off roader wannabe boys in Gurgaon !

The Thar can ford water to a normal limit of about half the wheel immersed or the upper limit about 12 inches, anything above that could be inviting trouble.

Besides a sealed snorkel, exaust level raised, plastic sheet taped to the front of the car and all electrical components sealed with plastic and duct tape attempting serious water fording has led to many disasters.
BPT Wadala (Mumbai) in monsoons regularly exceeds 12 inch deep floods - With the 550 I've pulled through 3 of these over the past 4 years - with the battery red light coming up (shorting) as the sole casualty - (of course post monsoon I change the gearbox, transfer case, diff oils to replace the 'chocolate milk shake')

With the Thar, I think, the ECU, common rail electronics need to be well protected - a more cautious approach should help matters.

@Manveet - does the owner's manual prescribe a water fording depth for the Thar ? Not sure I recall seeing anything on the Thar marketing / features list either.
Old 20th October 2014, 12:59   #543
BHPian

Hi Anoop,

Thanks for your comments.

The tyres are 255/65 R16 Cooper Discoverers, great tyres, went on a 1800 km long trip to Sach pass and came back via manali, they performed very well on both the highway and on the hills (there were no roads at all), Highlyy reccommended!!!

Yupp, the antenna gives it a veryy good look, just got a 50" led Bar as well, will post pictures soon!
Abhimanyu88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 15:05   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmananoop View Post
Needed to know when mahindra dealer invoices ... do they invoice against a particular vehicle, asking cause wanted to do a PDI before i take delivery .. and remember reading here ..nothing can be done once the vehicle in invoiced.

Background - had booked a month back for delivery on 20th Oct, applied for a loan. which was also approved. today they called to Invoice. therefore the question.

can anybody pls throw light on this process... greatly appreciate the effort . thanx a ton
Nope, thats not the case. This friend of mine went to take delivery of his thar which had already been registered according to Delhi standards, upon seeing the car , the car was rusted from the under-body and the joints, he refused to take the delivery and the next day he went a chose a car from a pool of 8 cars which was registered again.

Therefore, when you do take delivery, if you aren't happy with the car, DONT pick it up, you have the right to buy a car as per your liking if the car they are delivering is not up to the standards.
Abhimanyu88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 15:36   #545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhimanyu88 View Post
Hi Anoop,

Thanks for your comments.

The tyres are 255/65 R16 Cooper Discoverers, great tyres, went on a 1800 km long trip to Sach pass and came back via manali, they performed very well on both the highway and on the hills (there were no roads at all), Highlyy reccommended!!!

Yupp, the antenna gives it a veryy good look, just got a 50" led Bar as well, will post pictures soon!
Thanx for tyre clarification, must have been an awesome trip have passed that way on the bike.... wait to see some pic ... thanx again
Old 1st November 2014, 14:19   #546
Senior - BHPian

In 1991, Tom Cochrane released a song titled "Life is a Highway". Since then, it has been covered by Rascal Flatts for the Cars soundtrack, as well as by Chris LeDoux, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Jerry Jeff Walker, and Home Free. These guys clearly never owned a Jeep.

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-1598663_10154662552650321_5989992249683087344_o.jpg

Now, back to the boring stuff ..

Broke the front right alloy (now fixed after spending 300 bucks) and a quite damaged front bumper. The bumper had a design flaw (since then identified) else wouldn't have undergone such dis-figuration. Haven't got that repaired as yet - was enjoying the bashed up look. However, will be getting it repaired soon.

Also, my front tachometer is not working at all from before the MGE but post the NIOC OTR after the water-fording damages. Initially, it was not working on intermittent basis but for last 20 days its not been working at all. Also, the idle when I leave the accelerator is somewhat off, a bit spluttery - like the engine will die - so I end up pressing the clutch a lot - will be getting it fixed from the A.S.S. soon.

Am quite sure this Jeep will not be going in for any hard-core off-roading anytime soon. There's been a lot of pressure from family to sell it off, but after the money spent on it and the emotional connect - not sure if I want to. Plus, it drives like a beauty in the city.

Last edited by manveet : 1st November 2014 at 14:45.
manveet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 19:52   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Broke the front right alloy (now fixed after spending 300 bucks) and a quite damaged front bumper. The bumper had a design flaw (since then identified) else wouldn't have undergone such dis-figuration. Haven't got that repaired as yet - was enjoying the bashed up look. However, will be getting it repaired soon.
Looks like you missed a couple of spots there Manveet ! Jokes apart looks like you had a lot of fun as evident on the tired but happy look on your face.

Very curious to know how did the alloy break and what happened to the bumper as well ?
Old 3rd November 2014, 00:33   #548

Hello Manveet

Somewere in the thread you mentioned that you replaced the original bulbs with LEDs. From where did you get the LEDs in Delhi?

Thanks
Manjeet
Old 3rd November 2014, 09:58   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Very curious to know how did the alloy break and what happened to the bumper as well ?
Oops. I meant got it repaired by paying 3000/- bucks (and not 300/-). Will put of pictures of the alloys and bumper soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manjeet_Singh View Post
Hello Manveet

Somewere in the thread you mentioned that you replaced the original bulbs with LEDs. From where did you get the LEDs in Delhi?

Thanks
Manjeet
Welcome to the forum Manjeet. Like the neat look of your MM550 very much. Regarding your query, got the LED's from Karol Bagh. That was long back though. Nowadays they are available pretty much with every half-decent car accessory wala. But yes, the range and pricing at Karol Bagh would still be better.
Old 3rd November 2014, 14:24   #550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There's been a lot of pressure from family to sell it off, but after the money spent on it and the emotional connect, not sure if I want to. Plus, it drives like a beauty in the city.
Dear Manveet (Paaji) - I can understand your above sentence because normal people just cannot understand us! By the way, two of my best friends are Sardars (Jaggi and Arshjeet). I relate very well to your community, you guys really know how to live life "yaar"! Somrtimes I wish I was a Sardar as well, instead of a Bawa. Jo bole so nihaal, sat sri akaal!

The vehicle looks gorgeous in its natural element. Enjoy! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 19:06   #551
Senior - BHPian

Introducing : The Real McCoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Manveet (Paaji) - I can understand your above sentence because normal people just cannot understand us! By the way, two of my best friends are Sardars (Jaggi and Arshjeet). I relate very well to your community, you guys really know how to live life "yaar"! Somrtimes I wish I was a Sardar as well, instead of a Bawa. Jo bole so nihaal, sat sri akaal!

The vehicle looks gorgeous in its natural element. Enjoy! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you Sirjee! On this wonderful post of yours lets have a small Q&A session.

Q: What is more fun than a Jeep?
A: Two Jeeps.

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20141102_112239-copy.jpg

p.s.
Signature updated.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 16:48   #552
Senior - BHPian

Re: Introducing : The Real McCoy

Quote:

Q: What is more fun than a Jeep?
A: Two Jeeps.
So I spent a lot of time contemplating whether I should use this thread for the new Jeep in the garage but it finally gets its own thread. So thank you everyone for following and contributing to this thread and making it what it is right now.

But this is the new address for where I need your support the most.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...540-story.html
manveet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 16:04   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhimanyu88 View Post
Hi, I am new to Team-Bhp and have also recently bought a new Mahindra thar. I got the tires changed as soon as I got it out of the showroom and then sent it for modifications. I am happy with my vehicle and very very fond of it. Posting a picture of it, please give me recommendations on what more I can get done on it except a hard-top.

Thank you
Hi Abhimanyu, Can you please suggest if the front bumper is a direct replacement of the stock one or is it a modification, I want a same replica for my coming rocky biege Thar.
Old 26th February 2015, 20:01   #554
Senior - BHPian

Just a few pictures I found from August last year .. this is from the great Escape 2014 held in Chandigarh.

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-chd-ge-01.jpg
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-chd-ge-02.jpg
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-chd-ge-04.jpg
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 21:42   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Hi Abhimanyu, Can you please suggest if the front bumper is a direct replacement of the stock one or is it a modification, I want a same replica for my coming rocky biege Thar.
Hi ruchir, its a direct replacement, no mods needed buddy, you can adjust the height of it as well ☺

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks