Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2013, 11:04   #406
BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

manveet sorry for jumping onto your thread, Mods if this is inappropriate please do remove it but I needed some feedback from Thar owners

I wanted to check if anyone had installed the hardtop being done by Azad 4x4 in Delhi. (http://www.azad4x4.com/)
In case anyone has an idea of their products, please do provide your thoughts and feedback on the same.

I will probably be visiting them soon to check out their demo vehicle, will post pictures

cheers

Kundan
Old 1st November 2013, 10:03   #407
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone,

Sorry for being out of action for so long. There have been a couple of updates on my Jeep since I last posted here. About a month ago, I added two towing points welded to the chassis via slits in the front bumper. Plus original army spec MM540 mounting plate with similar high quality tow hook. This was a time consuming full day affair. Will post pictures soon.

Past 15 days have been tied up with small mods to my other vehicles. The ML350 got a tire upgrade from 255/50/19 to 255/55/19 and the new VW GT TSi got the rubber upgraded from 185/55/15 Apollo Accelere's to 205/55/15 Yokohama S-drives.

Plus, my wife hurt her knee so the Jeep has been out of action past fortnight or so due to difficulty in climbing in. The battery died on me today morning. But that's something I still need to figure out as my Mum drove it day before and we're quite confident nothing was left on.

Anyhow, all those who have posted their queries on this thread, my apologies once again for not responding. I will surely try to revert to each of you over the Diwali weekend.

Cheers!

Edit: Oh, and somewhere between all this, my Jeep completed 1 year. But there is still a long way to go. Sigh. It's a Jeep thing. You guys will understand

Last edited by manveet : 1st November 2013 at 10:06.
Old 1st November 2013, 11:15   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Hello everyone,

Past 15 days have been tied up with small mods to my other vehicles. The ML350 got a tire upgrade from 255/50/19 to 255/55/19 and the new VW GT TSi got the rubber upgraded from 185/55/15 Apollo Accelere's to 205/55/15 Yokohama S-drives.

Edit: Oh, and somewhere between all this, my Jeep completed 1 year. But there is still a long way to go. Sigh. It's a Jeep thing. You guys will understand
Hey Manveet ! You are one lucky man to have 3 vehicles to play around with !! My Missus is still on the warpath with the Thar Idea !!

Here's wishing you a happy Diwali and a of course the first anniv of ur Thar Cheers to many more !
Old 1st November 2013, 11:58   #409
BHPian

What a glorious looking Thar Manveet. Although quite unlikely I will ever buy one, but yours will be a major factor if that does happens some day!

Quote:
Plus, my wife hurt her knee so the Jeep has been out of action past fortnight or so due to difficulty in climbing in. The battery died on me today morning. But that's something I still need to figure out as my Mum drove it day before and we're quite confident nothing was left on.
Your mom drives the Thar?
Please pay our deepest regards to her, kudos to her spirit !!

Quote:
Edit: Oh, and somewhere between all this, my Jeep completed 1 year. But there is still a long way to go. Sigh. It's a Jeep thing. You guys will understand .
Good one
Old 1st November 2013, 13:24   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
What a glorious looking Thar Manveet. Although quite unlikely I will ever buy one, but yours will be a major factor if that does happens some day!

Good one
Same from my side;and just about 60 minutes ago i spotted a lady driving a nicely done up thar in chandigarh.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 10:28   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Hey Manveet ! You are one lucky man to have 3 vehicles to play around with !! My Missus is still on the warpath with the Thar Idea !!

Here's wishing you a happy Diwali and a of course the first anniv of ur Thar Cheers to many more !
Old 2nd November 2013, 16:58   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom666 View Post
@Manveet - Hope you dont mind me asking but approximately how much have you spent over and above the ex-showroom price of the vehicle - including mods and repairs to get the factory issues sorted out? Just curious that all.
Hi, I have not been keeping track but just a quick calculation now that you ask is showing me something like 2.5 Lakhs plus. Honestly, I would have gladly spent even 50% more for what all has been done till now, if someone could have taken this up for me as a project and delivered at the same quality levels.

There has been a huge amount of time and money involved getting things done from established vendors like Bimbra's, Performance Auto's, and Driven's of the world and then getting the same job FIXED at Mayapuri or elsewhere. On the other hand, whatever I have done under my personal supervision has been in most cases been first time right.

I got my HT from PA, unless they have made major improvements, what you will get from them will be inferior to the one in my Jeep, since I got the leaks finally fixed by my own R&D and DIY where PA could not do it after I sent my vehicle to them more than two times and for multiple days, because the rear hatch shock absorber just broke off from the mounts.

Similarly, I got my Hella work-lamps fixed from Bimbra and the wiring fried. Got it redone from them and now my battery is dead because of some short in the same redone wiring. Have finally sent it to my own trusted electrical guy today morning. The front bumper was nicely designed by them but mounting was all wrong, have got that fixed from Mayapuri as well.

So believe you me, a modification thread on TBHP looks very nice - the final pictures and the fancy writeups - but remember we guys usually don't put up pictures of the multiple attempts we went through before getting it right.

Since you have asked, and I happened to have some time on hand today, please excuse me if I went on a tangent. But anyhow I feel this was a relevant point to make i.e. enjoy this thread and be a part of my journey, but before you take the plunge with your hard earned money, be sure its a journey you would want to make.

And while I am at it, congratulation to the latest entrants to the TBHP Thar bandwagon, Samwagon and the sjcherian - you guy are truly passionate - kudos to you and your love for your Thar. Reading your threads is a pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
I wanted to check if anyone had installed the hardtop being done by Azad 4x4 in Delhi. (http://www.azad4x4.com/)

In case anyone has an idea of their products, please do provide your thoughts and feedback on the same.
Since it is similar looking, unless they are significantly cheaper than Bimbra, and I mean significantly, close your eyes and go for the Bimbra HT. Only reason not to choose Bimbra is if you don't like the looks of it. Why risk being the test mule when you don't need to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_jacob View Post

The only vehicle I play around with is the Thar, the other two vehicles are not half as fun and mostly a means to commute. The tire upgrades were necessities. Well not really, but almost.

I understand the missus angle. I had to use a lot of emotional blackmail with mine before she relented. Now she's cool with it, especially after the mods. But this Jeep would not be what it is without her support. Full credit to her for that.

And thank you for the wishes. Hope you have a great Diwali as well.

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words. Hope you buy a Jeep one day. There is nothing to beat the timeless design of one. There is only one life, live it.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Same from my side;and just about 60 minutes ago i spotted a lady driving a nicely done up thar in chandigarh.
Thanks guys, I'll pass on the message to my mum.

And my wife sits with me in the Thar, and bears with me ogling at Jeep Pictures on my phone. Kudos to her as well.

And kudos to me too, turning all the women in my life to Jeep girls.

Last edited by manveet : 2nd November 2013 at 17:08.
manveet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 19:45   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I have not been keeping track but just a quick calculation now that you ask is showing me something like 2.5 Lakhs plus. Honestly, I would have gladly spent even 50% more for what all has been done till now, if someone could have taken this up for me as a project and delivered at the same quality levels.

There has been a huge amount of time and money involved getting things done from established vendors like Bimbra's, Performance Auto's, and Driven's of the world and then getting the same job FIXED at Mayapuri or elsewhere. On the other hand, whatever I have done under my personal supervision has been in most cases been first time right.

I got my HT from PA, unless they have made major improvements, what you will get from them will be inferior to the one in my Jeep, since I got the leaks finally fixed by my own R&D and DIY where PA could not do it after I sent my vehicle to them more than two times and for multiple days, because the rear hatch shock absorber just broke off from the mounts.

Similarly, I got my Hella work-lamps fixed from Bimbra and the wiring fried. Got it redone from them and now my battery is dead because of some short in the same redone wiring. Have finally sent it to my own trusted electrical guy today morning. The front bumper was nicely designed by them but mounting was all wrong, have got that fixed from Mayapuri as well.

So believe you me, a modification thread on TBHP looks very nice - the final pictures and the fancy writeups - but remember we guys usually don't put up pictures of the multiple attempts we went through before getting it right.

Since you have asked, and I happened to have some time on hand today, please excuse me if I went on a tangent. But anyhow I feel this was a relevant point to make i.e. enjoy this thread and be a part of my journey, but before you take the plunge with your hard earned money, be sure its a journey you would want to make.

And while I am at it, congratulation to the latest entrants to the TBHP Thar bandwagon, Samwagon and the sjcherian - you guy are truly passionate - kudos to you and your love for your Thar. Reading your threads is a pleasure.

:
Thanks manveet for the kind words. It is for the precise reason (unprofessional workmanship of most of the garages), that I like to do all the works on all my vehicles myself. Over the years have built up sufficient experience and significant tools of all kinds for the same.
Also, did you get a answer from Beharam sir reg the passive snorkelling.
Old 2nd November 2013, 20:42   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
Even I am interested in putting one.
Old 4th November 2013, 11:02   #415
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the mention manveet. Its a good feeling to know you liked my thread. Also its good you mentioned the trial and error and frustration you went through getting things done the way you want - looking at your "after" posts it all looks so easy and simple to get done without realizing the effort involved.
Old 4th November 2013, 11:47   #416
BHPian

Quote:
The only vehicle I play around with is the Thar, the other two vehicles are not half as fun and mostly a means to commute. The tire upgrades were necessities. Well not really, but almost.

I understand the missus angle. I had to use a lot of emotional blackmail with mine before she relented. Now she's cool with it, especially after the mods. But this Jeep would not be what it is without her support. Full credit to her for that.

And thank you for the wishes. Hope you have a great Diwali as well.
Cant wait to cross that hurdle - I have a strategy in place though - turning 30 next year, am sure the folks will overlook a move they consider absolutely insane - mid life crisis maybe ? Its encouraging to see your wife participating in the OTR's and your journey with the Thar. Another 10 months waiting time minimum - until then i shall still day dream and continue lusting over all the thars on tbhp !
Old 6th November 2013, 16:31   #417
Senior - BHPian

With 150,000 plus views, I understand that this is the most read and perhaps most active OPEN Thar thread. Thank you everyone for contributing and for the five star rating. In my small little way of returning to the forum, I would at the very least like to maintain or improve the quality of THIS thread, if not the full forum.

With that context, and the recent off-topic posts on this thread I just wanted to clarify a few things.

Everyone is most welcome to post their queries on this thread, I or others will try to answer to the best of our ability. The questions may be about my Thar, your Thar, or even a general Thar query - it is cool. Please feel to drop in a line here. As long as these are genuine queries or points of discussion, I am sure the readers will benefit and the thread will remain true to the TBHP spirit.

At the same time, request members to refrain from lengthy rants or cribs about the Thar, on this thread.

They are welcome to post here >

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...oked-thar.html

Am reporting a few posts in the previous page and requesting mods to delete, hope you guys are OK with it.

Cheers!

Last edited by manveet : 6th November 2013 at 16:39.
manveet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 14:51   #418
BHPian

Fantastic thread Manveet. Your thread and Cpbopanna's thread were the ones that help me decide on the Thar, which I will be receiving next Monday.

I have a daily commute of 150km with about 50km of city driving. I really like a few of the hardtops but I transport a lot of oversized goods (trees, furniture, etc) and need the ability to go coverless occasionally. Do you think the soft-top will give me enough protection from the pollution and elements during my daily commute?

Also, can any Chennai members recommend any good interior shops. I'd like to take out the backseats and put in some padded material over the metal areas over the wheels.

Thanks.

Last edited by showboat : 7th November 2013 at 14:56.
Old 7th November 2013, 15:59   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Even I am interested in putting one.
Sorry guys. DB ji's response on this is still eagerly awaited. Lately, he has been conspicuous by his absence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
Fantastic thread Manveet. Your thread and Cpbopanna's thread were the ones that help me decide on the Thar, which I will be receiving next Monday.
Thank you, congratulations, and welcome on board - both on TBHP and on the Thar bandwagon!!

Do also check out the newest ownership threads by samwagon and sjcherian. So next month we can expect a review thread from you, that's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
I have a daily commute of 150km with about 50km of city driving. I really like a few of the hardtops but I transport a lot of oversized goods (trees, furniture, etc) and need the ability to go coverless occasionally. Do you think the soft-top will give me enough protection from the pollution and elements during my daily commute?
Yes, it will protect you very well from the elements and smoke pollution, but the noise pollution will still remain. Also, cannot guarantee the safety of the oversized goods in transfer. All else will be fine.

Last edited by manveet : 7th November 2013 at 16:02.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 17:58   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, congratulations, and welcome on board - both on TBHP and on the Thar bandwagon!!

Do also check out the newest ownership threads by samwagon and sjcherian. So next month we can expect a review thread from you, that's good.
Thanks Manveet. I'll start typing up the review as soon as I get the Thar. I've started writing an ownership thread on my other car (BMW 530d) and hope to have it up by the end of the weekend (I totally understand now what other's have gone through in writing one).

Quote:
Yes, it will protect you very well from the elements and smoke pollution, but the noise pollution will still remain. Also, cannot guarantee the safety of the oversized goods in transfer. All else will be fine.
Well thats good news. I guess the next step is figuring out how easy it is to take the soft-top off with the new screws. If its too difficult, I might end up getting a hardtop sooner than I want.

How happy are you with the sound quality of your ICE with the hardtop? Is it worth spending a lot and put in a top tier system with the works.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks