Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2013, 18:56   #361
Senior - BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timson View Post
@manveet

- Pebbles/gravel do get stuck between the disc rotor and brake pads in most vehicles, I have experienced the same couple of times. Most often it slips out on its own, but if its too big then it won't. You need to remove the caliper assembly and clear it asap else it could scotch the rotor badly while applying breaks.
Thanks for your prompt reply. I have asked the service guys to send me pictures of the rotor, etc. lets see if they send them tomorrow. I have deliberately not taken delivery today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timson View Post
- Control arm bushes don't wear out very soon, but possibility is your negative off set rims putting too much stress on them. Also I hope your ASC guys are installing them with a proper press.
AFAIK, my alloys are NOT negative offset, but I could be wrong. Here is a link to where you can have a better look.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2987513

In case the alloys are not negative alloys, can just 20 mm increase in tire width damage the control arm bushes.

I now have one more query.

Apparently, rubber parts are not covered under warranty. Is this correct?

Asking because I just realized that even if I send a vehicle for its third "free service", and they change the control arm bushes NOT under warranty, I still have to pay for labor. And the labor is 5 times as expensive as the parts. Which makes me think I should try for warranty. Hmmm.
Old 15th October 2013, 19:53   #362
BHPian

@manveet

As per usual T&C of warranty consumables are not covered. I'm not sure if control arm bushes are classified under consumables. Since you are not using the stock rim and tires, claiming warranty will be difficult. As ASC will always look for reasons while doing free replacements under warranty.
Old 15th October 2013, 22:21   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
[*]Apparently both my front control arm bushes are damaged and need to be replaced. This is not a big expense - just 35 bucks per bush, but I'd like to know the genesis of this problem. Is this due to the load on suspension due to my slightly up-sized tires - as the service center guys are claiming. If that is the case, I can live with it - will just have to remember to keep a continual look out on the bushes. Or is this another quality issue with the Thar that should not have happened?

Quick inputs will be appreciated.
@manveet, What are the symptoms of this issue? Just ensuring if I have same issue as our Jeeps are from same month with almost same upgrades and kms on ODO.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 15th October 2013, 22:56   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
@manveet, What are the symptoms of this issue? Just ensuring if I have same issue as our Jeeps are from same month with almost same upgrades and kms on ODO.

Thanks,
Vishal
I used to get a "tak tak" sound when turning full circle. maybe the turning was slightly harder as well but I cannot be sure about that. at least not until I get the vehicle back and can compare the difference.

but I am sure of one thing. all this talk about upsizing affecting the suspensionisa load of nonsense. I have been upsizing the wheels of almost all my cars till date and never faced this problem. ever. atleast not in the first 4 or 5 years of ownership.

Last edited by manveet : 15th October 2013 at 22:57.
manveet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 23:39   #365
BHPian

Quote:
I used to get a "tak tak" sound when turning full circle. maybe the turning was slightly harder as well but I cannot be sure about that. at least not until I get the vehicle back and can compare the difference.

but I am sure of one thing. all this talk about upsizing affecting the suspensionisa load of nonsense. I have been upsizing the wheels of almost all my cars till date and never faced this problem. ever. atleast not in the first 4 or 5 years of ownership.
I still face the same tak tak issue with my 245x75 Geolanders. Haven't changed to alloys yet, just don't turn the steering fully.

Also, I had to change those bushes last month too. Mahindra took 2 months to get them from Nashik to Hyderabad.
Old 16th October 2013, 10:38   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Manveet / Vishal - control arm bush life is very high by design (> 100000 kms). Also, changing them invloves a lot of controlled processes, torsion bars are not that easy to set! Something seems to be fishy. Be careful.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 11:30   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Manveet / Vishal - control arm bush life is very high by design (> 100000 kms). Also, changing them invloves a lot of controlled processes, torsion bars are not that easy to set! Something seems to be fishy. Be careful.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Once upon a time, my vehicle was tilting more to LHS. Performance Auto guys at Noida had adjusted the Torsion Bars to resolve the issue.

Link here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3014766

Thereafter, people use to ask me whether I have raised the front suspension. Partly this was an illusion as my aftermarket fenders sat higher than the stock. But in retrospect, and based on your quoted post above, I believe this could have been due to the torsion bar setting set high. Perhaps the RHS torsion bar should have been reduced to match the LHS but the PA guys increased the LHS torsion bar to match the RHS?

Do you think the torsion bar setting could have led to this probem?

Last edited by manveet : 16th October 2013 at 11:32.
Old 16th October 2013, 11:46   #368
BHPian

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
BD sir, I've had the bushes replaced twice already. I was told it was because of the taller tires I have and there's nothing to worry as long as I get them replaced once they wear out or disappear. BTW, Im running 245/75 r16 tires.

I'm trying to find if there's a poly bush available for it but haven't heard of a definite answer yet. However if the same/similar setup holds good with the Scorpio Getaway then why would it give up so easy in the Thar.

On a separate note, there aren't direct lift kits available for the Thar which would solve this issue forever. Hoping that someone is enterprising enough to help Thar owners get 33 or 35 inchers in the future.
Old 16th October 2013, 12:09   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
... On a separate note, there aren't direct lift kits available for the Thar which would solve this issue forever. Hoping that someone is enterprising enough to help Thar owners get 33 or 35 inchers in the future...
Can't any of the Jeep suspension lift kits available in the US be used on a Thar with some slight mods/adjustments? And if its just for fitting larger tyres than I guess a simple body lift should be enough?

Last edited by vroom666 : 16th October 2013 at 12:23.
Old 16th October 2013, 12:12   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
On a separate note, there aren't direct lift kits available for the Thar which would solve this issue forever. Hoping that someone is enterprising enough to help Thar owners get 33 or 35 inchers in the future.
There aren't shackles one can use to lift the body up a few inches? I saw quite a few "high" Thars at the grounddesigns place in Pune... (http://grounddesigns.in/)
Old 16th October 2013, 12:38   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - see Ssangyong Musso! . Come on now!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 16th October 2013, 12:43   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom666 View Post
Can't any of the Jeep suspension lift kits available in the US be used on a Thar with some slight mods/adjustments? And if its just for fitting larger tyres than I guess a simple body lift should be enough?
AFAIK, there is no direct bolt-on solution as on date. I know one or two people who have done a 1-1.5 inch body lift but it is not recommended due to high speed stability issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekjayasheel View Post
There aren't shackles one can use to lift the body up a few inches? I saw quite a few "high" Thars at the grounddesigns place in Pune... (http://grounddesigns.in/)
Are you sure they are "Thars". Asking cause a lot of people have made their 550's look like Thars and suspension raises are easily done on MM5x0's due to the solid axle setup. The website link you posted did not have any Thars in the gallery, only MM5X0's and older Jeeps.

I have seen one or two shackle lift setups up here in NCR, not sure whether they were Thars or MM5x0's, but they are definitely not reliable. At least the ones I know of.

Quote:
Dear all - see Ssangyong Musso! . Come on now!

Please elaborate, I didn't get this one. :(

Edit: Got It

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post2918132

Last edited by manveet : 16th October 2013 at 13:01.
Old 16th October 2013, 15:19   #373
BHPian

Quote:

AFAIK, there is no direct bolt-on solution as on date. I know one or two people who have done a 1-1.5 inch body lift but it is not recommended due to high speed stability issues.
If ironman or Emu guys come up with a solution, it'll be worth the money even though it'll be expensive than the local setups. These aren't components to be taken lightly when it comes to engineering vs tribal knowledge since it could easily mean choosing between life and death. The high speed stability issues aren't a deal breaker for me since the Thar won't be driven like on a race track ever in its lifetime. As long as I can cruise at 80-100kph on the highway, I'm good with it. Not sure if that qualifies as high speed though.

Anyway, the crux of the matter is that no solution is available as of now and won't come until the aussies see a big opportunity in the Thar. BTW, the Scorpio 4x4 does get an Ironman kit where the rear setup is different while front is same. So its a matter of doing some mix and match to come up with a Thar solution. Hopefully it won't take another lifetime.

Having broken the front wheel and lost the suspension bushes a couple of times makes me think if I'm pushing the Thar too much beyond its limits. But I've not even done half the fun stuff that the hard core offroaders do, so it makes me wonder...why me!

My warranty gets over in about 3 weeks, so post that I will have to slow down a bit I guess.
Old 16th October 2013, 17:15   #374
BHPian

Quote:

Are you sure they are "Thars". Asking cause a lot of people have made their 550's look like Thars and suspension raises are easily done on MM5x0's due to the solid axle setup. The website link you posted did not have any Thars in the gallery, only MM5X0's and older Jeeps.

I have seen one or two shackle lift setups up here in NCR, not sure whether they were Thars or MM5x0's, but they are definitely not reliable. At least the ones I know of.
Please see the photostream on grounddesign's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/GrounDDesigns.in/photos_stream
Old 16th October 2013, 18:30   #375
BHPian

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Checked with my Thar, thank god there is no sound from front assembly while turning etc. I can't afford more critical issue now as already fed-up with brake issue.

Thanks,
Vishal

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks