Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 23:27   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Naah. Those are not for me. I like my grille the way it is. Just need to plug those fender indicator holes now.

How about those square lights as in, what the vehicle in your post 203, has at the lower extreme ends of the windshield to cover your fender indicator holes. They can be swivel type to give an angular light spread during night OTR's.
Old 6th June 2013, 11:18   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
How about those square lights as in, what the vehicle in your post 203, has at the lower extreme ends of the windshield to cover your fender indicator holes. They can be swivel type to give an angular light spread during night OTR's.
These lights you are referring to are the Hella worklights, most commonly found on JCB's. The holes will be filled up and painted in the same red body-shade.

Below images show the plan of action for the worklamps - sideways swivel on all. Any thoughts round this setup?

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-dsc_0002-copy.jpg

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130315_080931-copy.jpg
Old 7th June 2013, 14:32   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Below images show the plan of action for the worklamps - sideways swivel on all. Any thoughts round this setup?
hey manveet, the idea is good, but the only problem in Delhi is some kid or mischief maker will use it as a "Swing" in a parking lot and then you are in for damage. I would go for firmly bolted ones.

Your Bumpers look Kewl!! a well managed job I must say. you should think of doing up the rear ones as well. A tyre carrier will do heavenly good to that poor tailgate door. I am planning one myself.
Old 7th June 2013, 16:14   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMASKARAN View Post
hey manveet, the idea is good, but the only problem in Delhi is some kid or mischief maker will use it as a "Swing" in a parking lot and then you are in for damage. I would go for firmly bolted ones.
You misunderstand. They have an in-built swivel which is slight, not as much as the picture suggests. They are going to bolted firmly on the body.

The context in which sideways swivel is mentioned because the default application is up-down swivel whereas I will be going for sideways.
Old 8th June 2013, 09:05   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Dear Manveet - your Jeep looks really "kewl" (as iMASKARAN mentioned). I LOVE IT! See if you can source a pair of original MM540 mirror mounts with bent pipes. Same parts were used on production CL340 also. The RH mirror is mounted slightly higher than the LH mirror. There were 4 tapped holes in the lower hinge support (between the two mounting bolts). If you can get this contraption (try Mayapuri, somewhere it will be available), you can recondition it and then use TATA 407 LUMAX make mirrors supported on them. For TATA 407 adaptation, you have to take 2 nos M10*1.25 bolts, cut off the heads, heat and bend the shank through 90 degrees, black powder coat them and support the mirrors on them. I had made the prototype within one hour. This will completely change the getup of your vehicle from the front. Then remove those silly mirrors from the doors and throw them out with a vengeance. I wish I could have done these mirrors in production. Alas! Sigh!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 09:25   #216
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bumper Upgrade

Quote:
Oh what the hell, I myself cannot hold back. Here goes. Designed by yours truly. Executed wonderfully by Taran Bimbra.
This looks quite cool. How much did you have to spend to get this fabricated and painted?
Old 12th June 2013, 16:52   #217
BHPian

Hi Manveet - I have read thru your posts from day one till date, and I congratulate on not only having created a formidable beast! but to also have collaborated continuously on this great platform that TeamBHP offers.

While i'm a newbie with less than 20 posts, I am a voracious reader on this portal for very long time, and have enjoyed this thread more than anything else i might have read recently.

I landed on this page looking for what people do with their Thar as the stock vehicle clearly needs work, and I have met Mr. Behram Dabhar at the 2010 (I may be off by a year) Chikmanglur great escape where i was on a bolero. This was the place where the Thar was originally displayed - and we met Mr. Dabhar with his Thar. I have the pics of that vehicle and my original thought was to get the minimum done, now looking at your post i did add a few more to my wish list. You have made the Thar "The" Jeep anyone would aspire to own.

Keep writing, there are many who I am sure read this thread and enjoy the updates. I have booked my vehicle, and will look forward to adding my bit when i get going!

cheers! A..
Old 12th June 2013, 16:57   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMASKARAN View Post
Suggestion acknowledged and implemented - I have gone in for firmly bolted ones. The rear mounted work-lamps are really useful as they either influence the high-beamers to shift to low-beam or move away from my rear-view. Haven't figured out any practical use of the front work-lamp though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMASKARAN
Your Bumpers look Kewl!! a well managed job I must say. you should think of doing up the rear ones as well. A tyre carrier will do heavenly good to that poor tailgate door. I am planning one myself.
Plenty of other places to spend money right now, rear bumper is way down the priority list. But then I remember saying that not so long ago for the front bumper as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Manveet - your Jeep looks really "kewl" (as iMASKARAN mentioned). I LOVE IT! See if you can source a pair of original MM540 mirror mounts with bent pipes. Same parts were used on production CL340 also. The RH mirror is mounted slightly higher than the LH mirror. There were 4 tapped holes in the lower hinge support (between the two mounting bolts).
Do you mean like the one in the pic below. Will look awesome!! But will it not interfere with the door movement (which was absent in the Classic)? If you were indicating something else instead of what is depicted in the pic, would appreciate an indicative image from your side. Thanks.

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-tmp3393.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
This looks quite cool. How much did you have to spend to get this fabricated and painted?
About 8.5-9K. Plus a lot of time with Bimbra Jr. on Whatsapp and Samsung Note II.

Another quick query ..

Can someone tell me where I can get the below highlighted accessory from? Does it server any practical purpose or is it just for show?

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-door.jpg

Last edited by manveet : 12th June 2013 at 16:58.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 17:41   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Another quick query ..

Can someone tell me where I can get the below highlighted accessory from? Does it server any practical purpose or is it just for show?

Attachment 1095688
I have seen this on Boleros. So I guess the local Mahindra dealers should have them or be able to get them for you.

The new Bolero.
Name:  Bolero.PNG
Views: 12314
Size:  180.2 KB

Other than aesthetic reasons, I cannot think of any other use for this.

Last edited by pjbiju : 12th June 2013 at 17:47.
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 17:58   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I have seen this on Boleros. So I guess the local Mahindra dealers should have them or be able to get them for you.

The new Bolero.
Attachment 1095724

Other than aesthetic reasons, I cannot think of any other use for this.
Thank you so much. This is why I love TBHP

Do you guys have any opinion on the aesthetic factor? Or would it be overkill?
Old 12th June 2013, 21:50   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Manveet could you please post some more pics of the white thar. Those are some interesting looking alloys.
Old 12th June 2013, 21:56   #222
Senior - BHPian

Double post. please delete.
Old 13th June 2013, 00:37   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These lights you are referring to are the Hella worklights, most commonly found on JCB's. The holes will be filled up and painted in the same red body-shade.

Attachment 1093459

Attachment 1093460
This is what I was thinking about, will be kind of unusual but very functional (sideways swivel).

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-dsc_0002-copy1.jpg
Old 13th June 2013, 12:09   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Manveet - your Jeep looks really "kewl" (as iMASKARAN mentioned). I LOVE IT! See if you can source a pair of original MM540 mirror mounts with bent pipes.
Quote:
would appreciate an indicative image from your side. Thanks.
Another quick query ..

DB Sir and Mandeep Ji,
Easy way (might not be the perfect way) is to get two RHS clamps as shown in below picture from Swaraz Mazda bus along with mirrors (You can attach Tata 407 mirrors as well) . You can easily get this accessory at any of their authorized shops. You only need to make clamps where mirror rod needs to be attached. You need to remove bottom of that rod to fit into mentioned clamps.

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-photo-2.jpg

Very sturdy, i am using this setup from last 3 years and except few broken mirrors during jungle drive, they are still intact.

Shubhendra
Old 13th June 2013, 12:24   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post

Shubhendra
Hi Shubhendra - might be a silly set of questions, but why have you put a tractor snorkel for your Jeep? And is there an additional air filter attached too, or have you removed that in the visible fiber cylinder on the top. Is this from a Mitsubishi mini tractor? Would there be any issue, I would have assumed the air intake needs to be direct into the filter without any resistance upfront.

And why this and not the usual snorkels that we see on 4x4s?

That was an interesting attachment and got me very curious.

thx. A..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks