Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2013, 23:40   #151
BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Yes, in fact I quite liked his setup and if you see carefully, my bumper with option 1 in bull-bar is almost the same as his. I used the pictures that I have since these designs are available in Delhi NCR. His I believe is SwastikFabs or some other local source which would be too far for me.
Swastikfabs is correct, I got the bumpers and rock sliders from Vijay sir. He also sends his stuff outside Bangalore in case you're interested.

Quote:
agreed. plus they also cause a lot of glare to myself due to reflection when they fall on vehicle in front. i have same issue with stock lights and keep switching them off at traffic signals. which is why I plan to use the HL's as secondary source of light and the fogs as primary.
You're right about the glare. Even I keep putting off the headlights because of that and got a pair of work lamps installed to act as fog lamps which can be used in the city. The big hellas have not seen too much action till date, they're more for emergency situations where the headlights give up or something.
Old 27th March 2013, 20:20   #152
Senior - BHPian

Exterior Pics

A couple of exterior pics taken today .. hope you like them !
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-1.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-2.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-3.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-4.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-5.jpg  

manveet is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 21:03   #153
BHPian

Now, that's more like it! She's a stunner and I guess will wind up becoming a reference point for many Thar owners looking to take it beyond the stock look. The tailpipe, minus the stock bumpers, look like a snarly cat all ready to pounce on its prey!
codelust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 22:02   #154
Senior - BHPian

Interior Pics

Interiors

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-int1.jpg

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-int2.jpg

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-int3.jpg

Rear Seating

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-dsc_0168.jpg

Gear knob, steering, and ABC Pedals ...

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-abc.jpg

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-gear.jpg

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-steering.jpg
manveet is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 14:54   #155
BHPian

@Mavneet it looks a pure stunner, have you done something to the exaust aswell ?

Loved the interiors , any issues with the hard top in terms of wind noise.
Old 28th March 2013, 16:40   #156
Senior - BHPian

Looks Stunning Buddy. I see that you have installed Power Windows. Is it an easy affair to do so? I was contemplating getting the same done on my Gypsy since my wifey finds it very difficult to roll up and roll down the windows but mind says no for it as it might just become one more reason for some failure.

You have also placed your Head Unit below the dash, any particular reason. Can it not be fitted in the standard position below the AC knobs. and did you have issues in fixing the speakers on the doors as i am assuming that the Thar / Gypsy doors are thinner than our usual passenger cars and placing the speakers would affect the movement of the window glass.

Steering Wheel is swell man. The only hindrance of an aftermarket steering wheel is that your fingers need to reach out for the headlight stalk if you need to flash or switch on your turn indicators since the hub occupies some space in between.

Waiting for your comments on the Power Windows and Speakers.

Cheers.
Old 29th March 2013, 13:13   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Manveet - I love the way your Thar looks, the main reason is that JEEP is now written on it. I would have done the same if I had bought one (I'll buy one someday, on my terms, at my price). Hard top looks good too, in my opinion, shining black would look lovely but this is my personal opinion. Please see if you can get original spring steel bumperettes which fit on the rear bumper (they were given in CJ3B army vehicles) and fit them, it will give a very balanced JEEP look to the vehicle.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 29th March 2013, 16:29   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
Now, that's more like it! She's a stunner and I guess will wind up becoming a reference point for many Thar owners looking to take it beyond the stock look. The tailpipe, minus the stock bumpers, look like a snarly cat all ready to pounce on its prey!
Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
@Mavneet it looks a pure stunner, have you done something to the exaust aswell ?
Thank you guys!

@invincible7 : Nothing at all, that's the stock exhaust - just looks different because I have removed the fancy bumperettes. But the earlier Thar version had the exhaust pointing to the rear and not the side, in case that's what you were referring to.

@codelust: absolutely loved your compliment with reference to the snarly cat, especially since you have been so hard to please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Loved the interiors , any issues with the hard top in terms of wind noise.
None, no wind noise whatsoever. At least till 100 kmph.

About the water leakage - The PA guys narrowed down the leakage to the welding points where the front windshield was chopped off and not where the HT merges with the body. All that was fixed last month and it passed the rain test yesterday. Once I survive a torrential downpour I can safely give my seal of approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Looks Stunning Buddy. I see that you have installed Power Windows. Is it an easy affair to do so? I was contemplating getting the same done on my Gypsy since my wifey finds it very difficult to roll up and roll down the windows but mind says no for it as it might just become one more reason for some failure.
It was a simple job. Went for "RD Power Windows" which apparently is a well respected brand here in North India. No history of any problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
You have also placed your Head Unit below the dash, any particular reason. Can it not be fitted in the standard position below the AC knobs.
Yes it can. But once I bought the "official" centre console from Mahindra dealer for Rs. 10K, I realised that the "official" space to mount the stereo was no longer possible. So I moved the stereo along with the OE mounting bracket to where you see it. Since we use the HU only with the iPod, and we have two remotes in the car (one for me and one for my wifey) this arrangement works out beautifully - never touched the OE ever since it was installed. In fact, now that we are on the subject, just the other day when we were driving down to Amritsar in the ML, I distinctly remember my wife mentioning how she prefers the Jeeps audio setup to the Mercs. Just the setup mind you, not the sound quality.

Also, don't let my post mislead you - the centre console is beautiful. Good quality stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici
and did you have issues in fixing the speakers on the doors as i am assuming that the Thar / Gypsy doors are thinner than our usual passenger cars and placing the speakers would affect the movement of the window glass.
So, we had to put two MDF rings. That solved the speaker interfering with the window problem, but created the speaker interfering with the seats problem. This is a twofold problem, first creates a hindrance to the front/back movement of the bigger+wider Innova seats and secondly spoils sound quality as the seat cushion comes right in front of the speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici
Steering Wheel is swell man. The only hindrance of an aftermarket steering wheel is that your fingers need to reach out for the headlight stalk if you need to flash or switch on your turn indicators since the hub occupies some space in between.
Thank you - the steering is a personal favorite.

But I did not understand your problem, that doesn't seem to be the way I reach out to the stalks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Manveet - I love the way your Thar looks, the main reason is that JEEP is now written on it.
Oops, THAT is my favorite. The steering wheel comes second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Please see if you can get original spring steel bumperettes which fit on the rear bumper (they were given in CJ3B army vehicles) and fit them, it will give a very balanced JEEP look to the vehicle.
Can you please share a picture of the same.

Also, is the Thar body shape of the Thar same as the Wrangler YJ? If not, which is the closest global vehicle - in case I am looking at body parts like floor mats, fender flares, etc.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 17:13   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It was a simple job. Went for "RD Power Windows" which apparently is a well respected brand here in North India. No history of any problem.

So, we had to put two MDF rings. That solved the speaker interfering with the window problem, but created the speaker interfering with the seats problem. This is a twofold problem, first creates a hindrance to the front/back movement of the bigger+wider Innova seats and secondly spoils sound quality as the seat cushion comes right in front of the speaker.

But I did not understand your problem, that doesn't seem to be the way I reach out to the stalks.

Thanks for your revert Manveet. Gives me more confidence for going with Power Windows.

Regd the speakers, i would let my front ones remain in the footwell (dont want any hindrances to the seat movements or legs)

I generally flash my lights or turn the indicators by resting my palm on the steering and dont remove my entire hand which is why i used to feel the gap with an after market Steering Wheel, plain old habits you know

and what can one say about BD Sir's comments, its more of a blessing
Old 29th March 2013, 17:37   #160
Senior - BHPian

Fender Flares

Another Quick Update.

It's been 7-10 days I've removed the fender flares. The vehicle definitely attracts more eye-balls, but its very very impractical.

Apart from the huge amount of mud it throws up on the doors and entire side body, the main issue is the muck that lands up on the side-mirrors and the dirty water that lands up inside the car even from the most insignificant puddles.

This is what I am looking for now (pic from bushwacker website). Any leads will be most appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-1090907_v1_20110615.jpg  

Old 30th March 2013, 12:22   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please share a picture of the same. Also, is the Thar body shape of the Thar same as the Wrangler YJ? If not, which is the closest global vehicle - in case I am looking at body parts like floor mats, fender flares, etc.
Dear Manveet - I am attaching a picture of CJ3B with the rear spring steel bumperettes. Body shape of Thar internal panels (front floor, dash panel etc) is same as Bolero because it is made on Bolero platform. Rear floor is of MM540. It will not match Wrangler YJ.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-img_3377.jpg  

DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 21:10   #162
BANNED

Hi Manveet, your thar looks awesome. I too have a theodor red thar and look forward to some mods. In my opinion the hardtop looks good mainly because the proportions of the Ground clearance to the Body height to the top height are near equal. Sirji I believe you have fitted CLF at the rear has this resulted in reduced pitching fir the thar and has the ride flattened out after this mod aslo I would like to get the contact details for these and the cost.
Regards
Old 31st March 2013, 07:46   #163
BHPian

Quote:

This is what I am looking for now (pic from bushwacker website). Any leads will be most appreciated.
Talk to Nithin from BoltOn Concepts, hes got the 6-inch rugged ridge fender flares which are exactly what you're looking for. The price may not be pleasant to know since it's an import, but it will fit nicely on the Thar.
Old 1st April 2013, 13:34   #164
BANNED

You could try Moni Designs based at delhi itself. His contact no. is 9810122796
Old 1st April 2013, 19:06   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
Sirji I believe you have fitted CLF at the rear has this resulted in reduced pitching fir the thar and has the ride flattened out after this mod aslo I would like to get the contact details for these and the cost.
Regards
Contact Deepak Pawar at 09422047019. This was for about 30k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Talk to Nithin from BoltOn Concepts, hes got the 6-inch rugged ridge fender flares which are exactly what you're looking for. The price may not be pleasant to know since it's an import, but it will fit nicely on the Thar.
This is not one of those mods on which I'd like to spend a LOT of money. Anyhow, thanks for the lead, have dropped him an email, could not find the phone no. on website and FB page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
You could try Moni Designs based at delhi itself. His contact no. is 9810122796
Please give website / facebook page details. Have never heard of them - Google did not throw up anything as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks