Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2013, 12:52   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurd
Hi Manveet - I have read thru your posts from day one till date, and I congratulate on not only having created a formidable beast! but to also have collaborated continuously on this great platform that TeamBHP offers.

While i'm a newbie with less than 20 posts, I am a voracious reader on this portal for very long time, and have enjoyed this thread more than anything else i might have read recently.
I have the pics of that vehicle and my original thought was to get the minimum done, now looking at your post i did add a few more to my wish list. You have made the Thar "The" Jeep anyone would aspire to own.

Keep writing, there are many who I am sure read this thread and enjoy the updates. I have booked my vehicle, and will look forward to adding my bit when i get going!
Dear A,

Firstly, congratulations on booking yourself a Thar and may you have great times together. May your starter wire hold its place and may no bolt fall on your head. If they do, may God give you the strength to forgive Mahindra and persevere in your journey with the Thar!

Also, thanks a lot for appreciating my Jeep. And yes, TBHP is really wonderful - I am happy that this thread is helping you out, and others aspiring to own a Jeep as well.

Now, for the technical discussion ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM
See if you can source a pair of original MM540 mirror mounts with bent pipes. Same parts were used on production CL340 also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra
Very sturdy, i am using this setup from last 3 years and except few broken mirrors during jungle drive, they are still
Thanks guys, but I repeat my question which is still unanswered ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
will it not interfere with the door movement (which was absent in the Classic)?
Old 13th June 2013, 12:58   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurd View Post
And why this and not the usual snorkels that we see on 4x4s?

That was an interesting attachment and got me very curious.

thx. A..
Dear Ankur,
This snorkel was designed by me keeping in mind of few requirements
1) I wanted my windshield frame to be folded on bonnet whenever required, to make jeep entirely topless
2) I wanted my original wet airfilter to be retained and didn’t want to shift to paper element air filter
3) I didn’t want snorkel head to be above the level where it is now, because I will never sink my jeep above my head, else I need a snorkel too
While seeing tractors at my home, which have snorkel attached to air filter, I inspired and made this contraption. Its not from any tractor, its custom made. I may be technically wrong buy I trust on my commonsense – if there are lacks of tractors having similar setup running for years (tractors at my home have same set up and we are using them for more than 3-4 decades) than why it should not be run on jeeps.
Regarding snorkel head, I didn’t want conventional safari snorkel head, it was not going well with looks. I tried that but switched to below contraption from MF tractor.

Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 13:01   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys, but I repeat my question which is still unanswered ...
Manveet Ji,
Do a simple test, measure your door travel with respect to this mirror. MM Classic was not doorless, it always came factory fitted with soft doors which didnt touch these mirrors.
And yes, you can control your door movement as well by reducing door strap if required.

Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 13:11   #229
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bumper Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Other than aesthetic reasons, I cannot think of any other use for this.
Other than aesthetic reasons, it also conceals the door hinge bolts.
Does it not also reduce the chances of theft by removing these bolts?
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 13th June 2013, 13:13   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Other than aesthetic reasons, it also conceals the door hinge bolts.
Does it not also reduce the chances of theft by removing these bolts?
Cheers,
Deepak
Deepak Ji,
It has no importance other adding aesthetic value, which M&M implemented from Bolero days.
remember : more accessories, more fall outs, more tension

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 14:03   #231
Senior - BHPian

A couple of decals that went on the jeep a few days ago. Excuse the picture quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130613_092255-copy.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130613_092500.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130613_092655.jpg  

Old 13th June 2013, 15:37   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bumper Upgrade

Quote:
Do you mean like the one in the pic below. Will look awesome!! But will it not interfere with the door movement (which was absent in the Classic)?
Dear Manveet - the illustration of the mirrors in the CL340 black classic is exactly what I am talking about (this particular vehicle is MH15K1948, which was later painted golden, used as "No 1" vehicle in numerous Great Escapes). This image has the TATA 407 mirrors mounted on those stalks also. If you will observe carefully, the RH side mirror mounting is oriented upwards and inwards as compared to the LH side mirror with is oriented a little downwards and outwards. This is the original mirror mounting principle of Jeep CJ5 RHD which we used for CJ340 export vehicles only. For LHD, it is opposite. LHD parts were also developed in Nasik. The angles are so perfect that even if you folded the windscreen down, the mirrors would not touch anywhere, remain folded next to the vertical edges of the windscreen due to which the vehicle looked extremely macho and desireable! See how beautifully Jeep has done their homework, its a treat! Now compare this work of art with the monstrosity fitted on your doors! How many times should I laugh! Some core competence is lost forever if company does not nurture it. HaHaHa!

The Bolero door hinge cover that you are mentioning will not serve any purpose. It was made to "close the issue" of "visible door hinges" in Bolero. It will not fit just like that, there are press clips molded into this part which go on holes in spacers which are attached to the door mounting bolts before the body goes for paint. You will not get the small parts, don't waste your time, its not worth it. If I am not mistaken, center to center distance of MM540 door and Bolero door is different but I may be wrong here, please check.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 17:53   #233
BANNED

Mr manveet your thread had been a great source of information to all thar owners. I am very much interested in going in for the CFL you have but would like to know by how much is the ride improved. please rate ride by points if original was 3/10 then the ride with CFL's would be rated ?/10 by you.
thanks in advance
Drlmtukkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2013, 12:13   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
Mr manveet your thread had been a great source of information to all thar owners. I am very much interested in going in for the CFL you have but would like to know by how much is the ride improved. please rate ride by points if original was 3/10 then the ride with CFL's would be rated ?/10 by you.
thanks in advance
Mr. Pawar is a very nice gentleman with an aggressive follow-up for post-installation feedback on a public forum (FB, TBHP, or their website) so you'll have to take all the nice things being said with a pinch of salt.

To be very honest, i'd not rate it more than a 6.5 or 7 on 10. Whether the rating is good enough for you at the price point it is being offered at, is very subjective.

In retrospect, would I buy this product if given a choice again? Yes.
Do I think it is overpriced for the advantage it offers? Yes.
Old 16th June 2013, 19:47   #235
BANNED

thanks a million manveet for your honest and qiuck reply. 7/10 is good enough for me. but as you said the cost is prohibitive for most.
Old 17th June 2013, 00:36   #236
Senior - BHPian

Few updates basis yesterdays OTR and todays downpour ..
  • The PA Hard-top still leaks from around the same area as earlier i.e. front top of the windscreen - leads to puddles on the dashboard and very wet front carpets.
  • Aftermarket Horn wiring has gone bad, so the horn sound has gone from masculine Paup-Paup to feminine (but better than stock) Peep-Peep.
  • Hand-brake has gone free as if the cable has broken i.e. lever has no resistance to motion and obviously braking is non-existent.

But I still love my Jeep. Will get those niggles sorted out next month as am off for a short vacation tomorrow. Am hoping to find some interesting accessories at Bangkok - will keep my eyes open for an inclinometer, suction-based camera mount for the dash, and other similar knick-knacks.

Till then, a quick front and rear view from yesterday- the fenders did a good job of keep mud out of the cabin and away from the body as well. I know the dirtier look is somewhat sexier, but then what the hell - you lose something to gain something.

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-dsc_0011-editedsmall.jpg
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-dsc_0008-editedsmall.jpg
manveet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 16:28   #237
Senior - BHPian

A little fun when it rains in the city ..

Last edited by manveet : 17th June 2013 at 16:30.
Old 17th June 2013, 17:39   #238
Senior - BHPian

Went for an OTR with the NIOC team ? How did your Thar do on the trails ? Who was the lead car Kapil ?
Old 19th June 2013, 11:15   #239
BHPian

Quote:
[*] Tires replaced with 255/65/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S, and 16x8 Alloys[*] Rear Suspension replaced with Composite Fibre Leaf Springs[*] Single Diaphragm Brake Booster replaced with Dual Diaphragm Booster derived from Scorpio MHawk[*] SA Roll Bar connected to Targa Band.
Hi Manveet, and others who can advice:: : as communicated earlier, I'm prepping for the arrival of the Thar, expecting delivery next week. Had a few questions for you, pls respond when you have a moment-

- Alloys: did you pick this from Mahindra, is there a brand name if its from outside. I am in Bangalore and can search around.(cost?)
- Rear susp: is this available only at the location you mentioned, or can be picked from a dealer? Would anyone in Bangalore know of this please.
- brake: the dealer gave me a blank stare when I explained the upgrade, has anyone done this in BLR, was is done under warranty and which service center/contact do this job? If not, would one know the cost for this job?
- Isn't the SA roll bar anyway supposed to be connected to the Targa Band? Is there something to watch out here?

Many thanks, A..
Old 19th June 2013, 12:00   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post

Allready on the job with him, Sir.

Done a clean upgradation of the vaccum tank of Mhawk in my THAR to support the double booster, as the current set up runs out of vaccum on continuous instant usage .

Resembles as a OE fittment inside Engine bay, will post pics soon.
Hi Ranjith- can we touch base? How do I contact you, can you PM me your number, I wanted info on the brake upgrade and I live in BLR. Many thanks. I am planning to address this work next week Tuesday and any information on your part wold be helpful.
Best. A.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks