Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2013, 17:14   #346
BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Congrats Shahid Bhai on the Thar purchase. You can indeed get a gear lock installed. I have done so in mine from Reliance Autozone in Ambience Mall, Gurgaon... along with 90/100 bulbls and phillips relay kit.

Happy jeeping!
Old 10th October 2013, 18:06   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shahidbhai - congratulations. If you have the "new" vehicle with the cross reinforcement above the front seat passengers, then I am not surprised that the canopy is making a lot of noise! If you have the "original" vehicle, the canopy is not allowed to make any noise, so it will be whisper quiet. Please post detailed photographs of the canopy, taken from inside the vehicle. Also, please post photographs of the rear seats as they are mounted on the wheel arches.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 19:30   #348
Senior - BHPian

Will definatley post the pictures Sir, of the new canopy support and rear seats.

GO Slow - how much does it cost to install a gear lock and the headlights upgrade kit ? I know this place in Ambience mall, inside the parking area.

As and when I do the modifications to this car I will start an ownership thread, at the moment I only purchased an insect mesh to mount on the front grill of the car for a sum of Rs. 1000.

There is a gap between the beading of the passenger side front door and the roof rain channel. Will need to fix that.
Old 10th October 2013, 20:56   #349
BHPian

DF -

Gear Lock will cost approx 1200 , The headlight upgrade will require a relay kit , pls go only for Interface headlight relays , they cost around 600.
Old 11th October 2013, 11:05   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
GO Slow - how much does it cost to install a gear lock and the headlights upgrade kit ? I know this place in Ambience mall, inside the parking area.
Shahid Bhai - All in about 2000 to 2500. I had also swapped the OE tyres for Yokohama Geolanders 245/70 R16.

I have bought mine last month. It is a Dec 2011 model with 15K kms on the odo. The previous owner took very good care of it and had AC installed and put Alloys.

Sorry if OT - Pic of my thar at recent NCR OTR.
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-thar-otr-014_resized.jpg  

Old 12th October 2013, 19:39   #351
Senior - BHPian

Dhabhar Bhai I have started a new thread - Intrepid Explorer III Rocky Beige Thar and posted the pictures you had asked for there.
Old 15th October 2013, 02:30   #352
BHPian

im not sure if this is the correct thread for this but i went and test drove the Thar today ( the 3rd time i've done that now) and was pleasantly surprised to see the improvements in the interiors.

The AC controls, general finish of the dash and console and the seats are much better than the previous one. The glovebox opened and shut without feeling like it was gonna come off in my hand. also the X fitting on the front canopy.

have any of the new owners taken delivery of vehicles with these upgrades? your thoughts and feedback.

i am really hoping by the end of this year i have my Thar.

cheers !
Old 15th October 2013, 09:15   #353

Have been a member since many years and very regular as well but writing for the first time.

Took delivery of my Thar CRDE 4X4 on Friday 11th Oct 13. So far so good. Engaged 4H once during a deep muddy drive and driving out of pit was piece of cake

AC is very effective

2 Ques if someone could help -
1) Where can I buy Headlight and tail light iron gaurds?
2) Not very clear on the concept of 4H vs 4L, specicically 4L. When to engage that.

Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 10:41   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshmunjal View Post
2) Not very clear on the concept of 4H vs 4L, specicically 4L. When to engage that.

Thanks
Congrats Rakesh ! Here's wishing you a million happy miles and great experiences on your Mean machine !!

I don't own a Thar yet, TD it a few t ime - I have the same query as Rakesh on the different 4wd positions - Experienced folks, kindly explain
Old 15th October 2013, 13:02   #355
BHPian

Congrats on your new Thar!

NCR guys can join the offroad groups (NIOC or Terrain Tigers) to learn the ropes first hand.

Here is some literature http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...echniques.html
Old 15th October 2013, 14:15   #356
Senior - BHPian

Sunday afternoon while heading back from the shooting range I did meet up with a group of NIOC off roaders heading out to an off road expedition.

They had four THARs with them, two MM 550s and a Gypsy.

I was asked to come along and my Scorpio is indeed 4x4 but I declined, they would have got delayed if I went home and brought my THAR.

The emphasis is that a lot of THAR owners here are actually heading out on off road trails. How these THARs perform in the demanding rigours of these trails remains to be investigated and reported which I will do.

Rakesh Munjal you are welcome to join NIOC and head out with them on some trips.
Old 15th October 2013, 15:55   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshmunjal View Post
Have been a member since many years and very regular as well but writing for the first time.

Took delivery of my Thar CRDE 4X4 on Friday 11th Oct 13. So far so good. Engaged 4H once during a deep muddy drive and driving out of pit was piece of cake

AC is very effective

2 Ques if someone could help -
1) Where can I buy Headlight and tail light iron gaurds?

Thanks
Congratulations on your Thar!. Finally it inspired you into making your first post in 7+ years.

I am contemplating selling my HL and TL guards since the HL guards interfere with my projectors and I want to go in for Wrangler LED tail-lights. These are the good quality ones bought from Mahindra accessories and am ready to sell them for 60% of MRP. Rest, you could also try Mayapuri (but the quality of these guards in not that great there) or even Bimbra in Gurgaon.

Here are the links for NIOC and Terrain Tigers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nort...iaoffroadclub/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TerrainTigers/
Old 15th October 2013, 16:47   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Congratulations on your Thar!. Finally it inspired you into making your first post in 7+ years.

I am contemplating selling my HL and TL guards since the HL guards interfere with my projectors and I want to go in for Wrangler LED tail-lights. These are the good quality ones bought from Mahindra accessories and am ready to sell them for 60% of MRP. Rest, you could also try Mayapuri (but the quality of these guards in not that great there) or even Bimbra in Gurgaon.

Here are the links for NIOC and Terrain Tigers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nort...iaoffroadclub/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TerrainTigers/
Can we talk? If it is comfortable can you send me your cell no. on my mail at rakeshm3004@gmail.com. Pls add the subject as Thar. Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 17:03   #359
Senior - BHPian

Two quick questions :
  1. There has been an intermittent crazy squeaking / screeching sound from my front RHS wheel due to a pebble getting stuck in the brake assembly. This has happened more than once. On earlier occasions the pebble it used to fall out after a few kms of driving however this time it has stayed there for over a month and 500 kms of driving. Finally, the service centre removed it today. Can anyone tell me WHERE in the brake assembly could this problem be happening. I have asked the service centre people to send me a picture, hopefully they will click one and send it to me so that I can understand the problem better.
  2. Apparently both my front control arm bushes are damaged and need to be replaced. This is not a big expense - just 35 bucks per bush, but I'd like to know the genesis of this problem. Is this due to the load on suspension due to my slightly up-sized tires - as the service center guys are claiming. If that is the case, I can live with it - will just have to remember to keep a continual look out on the bushes. Or is this another quality issue with the Thar that should not have happened?

Quick inputs will be appreciated.
Old 15th October 2013, 18:05   #360
BHPian

@manveet

- Pebbles/gravel do get stuck between the disc rotor and brake pads in most vehicles, I have experienced the same couple of times. Most often it slips out on its own, but if its too big then it won't. You need to remove the caliper assembly and clear it asap else it could scotch the rotor badly while applying breaks.

- Control arm bushes don't wear out very soon, but possibility is your negative off set rims putting too much stress on them. Also I hope your ASC guys are installing them with a proper press.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks