Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2014, 19:59   #466
BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario4x4 View Post
Hi Abhimanyu, I bought the Thar around the same time as yours. Are you planning on getting a Hard top? I live in Chandigarh and visit Delhi(dwarka) very often. So if you you know about a good place in Delhi where i can get a hard top?

Your thar looks amazing by the way.
Hi Mario 4x4,

Thanks, spent alot of time on the car, been wanting it since a while, and finally got it. Im not tooo much of a hard-top fan, because I think it kills the look of the Jeep, but in-case you want to get a hard-top I think you should go in for the semi-hard top from as it will be kind of a ahrd top but would look like a soft-top on the outside. There are many places in Delhi which do it, Bimbra does it but its expensive for what they offer, I know this person in Mayapuri who would do a good and relatively cheaper job with that because its basically a fibre-glass door and, iron mesh on top for the roof with notmal fixed windown on the side. I guess sometime down the line I would opt for that. Incase you want a proper hard-top then you should go in for the Performance Auto one or the Bimbra hard-top as I personally think they are convenient to get put quickly and are pretty good. Personally, I feel the Bimbra one is very Boxy, so I would recommend the Performance one.
Hope this would help you out.
Abhimanyu88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 20:46   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Abhimanyu, I bought the Thar around the same time as yours. Are you planning on getting a Hard top? I live in Chandigarh and visit Delhi(dwarka) very often. So if you you know about a good place in Delhi where i can get a hard top?

Your thar looks amazing by the way.
If you pass by Ambala or even in Chandigarh,do not forget to say hello.
Even i got a thar about a month back and planning to get a HT;mind says yes,heart says no.May be we can catch up and discuss the Pro's and con's.
I recently visited Bimbra 4X4 in gurgaon and thoroughly inspect the HT and its installation.Was pretty impressed.
Old 7th February 2014, 21:59   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhimanyu88 View Post
Hi Mario 4x4,

Thanks, spent alot of time on the car, been wanting it since a while, and finally got it. Im not tooo much of a hard-top fan, because I think it kills the look of the Jeep, but in-case you want to get a hard-top I think you should go in for the semi-hard top from as it will be kind of a ahrd top but would look like a soft-top on the outside. There are many places in Delhi which do it, Bimbra does it but its expensive for what they offer, I know this person in Mayapuri who would do a good and relatively cheaper job with that because its basically a fibre-glass door and, iron mesh on top for the roof with notmal fixed windown on the side. I guess sometime down the line I would opt for that. Incase you want a proper hard-top then you should go in for the Performance Auto one or the Bimbra hard-top as I personally think they are convenient to get put quickly and are pretty good. Personally, I feel the Bimbra one is very Boxy, so I would recommend the Performance one.
Hi Abhimanyu can you pm me this mayapuri guy's details. I may be interested in the semi HT at some stage.
Old 8th February 2014, 15:56   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
Hi Abhimanyu can you pm me this mayapuri guy's details. I may be interested in the semi HT at some stage.
Hi Samwagon,

Sorry, don't have his phone number or name, but I know where his shop is, and I've seen him make the semi hard-top for someone's Thar, Ill probably be going to Mayapuri tomorrow, Ill get his number and send it to you. If not tomorrow, will send it to you soon.
Old 12th February 2014, 11:41   #470

Quote:
Hi Mario 4x4,

Hello Abhimanyu,

Thank you for the details. Yes a hard top really messes up the looks of the Thar for me. I have seen the works of the people that you've mentioned but i wasn't really impressed. So i did some research and started this project with a friend of mine for making hard tops here in Chandigarh. Making hard tops not separately but an extension of the body entirely of iron, so no squeaking, no gaps, no leakage, sun roof (front and back) and the finishing would be such that the naked eye won't be able to spot any differences. Front facing seats, bumpers and other custom modifications. A semi hard top takes 20 days and a complete hard top takes 35 days. And sadly the jeep has to stay in the work shop for that long. I'm new to team Bhp and having a hard time using it. I will upload pictures soon after figuring out how to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
If you pass by Ambala or even in Chandigarh,do not forget to say hello.
Even i got a thar about a month back and planning to get a HT;mind says yes,heart says no.May be we can catch up and discuss the Pro's and con's.
I recently visited Bimbra 4X4 in gurgaon and thoroughly inspect the HT and its installation.Was pretty impressed.
Hello Akshay,

We can surely meet up at a midpoint between Ambala and chandigarh. Let's discuss about a nice looking hard top. May be we can get the same thing done. Is it allowed to share phone numbers here? or there's a way of private messaging?

Last edited by aah78 : 31st March 2014 at 18:36. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 12th February 2014, 13:05   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Samwagon,

Sorry, don't have his phone number or name, but I know where his shop is, and I've seen him make the semi hard-top for someone's Thar, Ill probably be going to Mayapuri tomorrow, Ill get his number and send it to you. If not tomorrow, will send it to you soon.
Abhimanyu,any leads?
did you get a chance to check out the semi HT?

Quote:
Hello Akshay,

We can surely meet up at a midpoint between Ambala and chandigarh. Let's discuss about a nice looking hard top. May be we can get the same thing done. Is it allowed to share phone numbers here? or there's a way of private messaging?
Yes, there is a way of private messaging,but i believe it gets activated only after you achieve a certain number of posts.I commute between ambala and chandigarh daily except weekends,so we can catch up somewhere near IT park may be.

Last edited by aah78 : 31st March 2014 at 18:36. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 8th March 2014, 11:52   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Abhimanyu,any leads?
did you get a chance to check out the semi HT?
Hi Akshay,

Sorry for the late reply, have been travelling since a month, Ill got o him tomorrow(Sunday) and will surely give you the details.

Thanks,

Abhimanyu Sharma
Old 27th March 2014, 12:49   #473
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I saw this Thar DI with Maxxis Bighorn off-roading tyres, these werent the Bighorn 764 15 inch tyres, they were 305/75/R16's with black steel rims. I just got Cooper discoverer H/T tyres on 16 inch rims 255/65/R16's. What I want to know is if I can get these 16 inch Bighorns on my rims, and if someone knows where I can get them and a rough idea of what they would cost me. I had heard that alloys arent good for off-roading, so should I get steel rims as well and keep these as a second set of tyres??? Please advise , Im veryy Confused.

Old 30th March 2014, 20:01   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I saw this Thar DI with Maxxis Bighorn off-roading tyres, these werent the Bighorn 764 15 inch tyres, they were 305/75/R16's with black steel rims. I just got Cooper discoverer H/T tyres on 16 inch rims 255/65/R16's. What I want to know is if I can get these 16 inch Bighorns on my rims, and if someone knows where I can get them and a rough idea of what they would cost me. I had heard that alloys arent good for off-roading, so should I get steel rims as well and keep these as a second set of tyres??? Please advise , Im veryy Confused.

I won't suggest you upgrade to 305s, anything more than 31" outer diameter they'll create a lot of clearance issues and eventually mess up your suspension/torsion bar setup. Basically they're not going to be plug n play so its definitely not gonna be interchangeable with the existing HT tyres you got.

As always, it can be done with the jeep if you really want to. But in Crde the front IFS will be impacted. The DI has solid axles so there are chances that the one you saw had raised body/suspension work done.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 18:17   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
I won't suggest you upgrade to 305s, anything more than 31" outer diameter they'll create a lot of clearance issues and eventually mess up your suspension/torsion bar setup. Basically they're not going to be plug n play so its definitely not gonna be interchangeable with the existing HT tyres you got.

As always, it can be done with the jeep if you really want to. But in Crde the front IFS will be impacted. The DI has solid axles so there are chances that the one you saw had raised body/suspension work done.
Hi Amolpol,

Thanks for your reply, really appreciated. Yes, the DI I saw had been lifted 4 inches, probably that's how he could fit those tyres. I found out that Ill need to get the car lifted to fit them, and the person mentioned the same thing as you about the DI having the solid axles. So I guess, I wont be upgrading to these tyres after all . However, I went to the Maxxis dealer and the maximum one can go up on a regular THAR Crde are 265/75/R16's without any modifications, so I guess those could be my new set of wheels.

Any advise on that would be appreciated.

Thanks again!
Old 1st April 2014, 09:19   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Amolpol,

Thanks for your reply, really appreciated. Yes, the DI I saw had been lifted 4 inches, probably that's how he could fit those tyres. I found out that Ill need to get the car lifted to fit them, and the person mentioned the same thing as you about the DI having the solid axles. So I guess, I wont be upgrading to these tyres after all . However, I went to the Maxxis dealer and the maximum one can go up on a regular THAR Crde are 265/75/R16's without any modifications, so I guess those could be my new set of wheels.

Any advise on that would be appreciated.

Thanks again!
The 265/75/16 is going to be 32" so you can expect issues with the torsion bar settings and some fouling while taking full turns. Given that you want to intermittently changeover from the HTs you have which are probably 30" at max, its going to need extra work every time you make the swap. The ideal situation would have been to have both sets of tyres and wheels so the changes would've been seamless. The 245/75/16 is the nearest match in the Maxxis which I'm currently running and I can tell you that there's been a lot of iterations to get it right for me. So I'd be very hesitant to swap them with something else if I had two sets.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 15:43   #477
BHPian

Quote:
I won't suggest you upgrade to 305s, anything more than 31" outer diameter they'll create a lot of clearance issues and eventually mess up your suspension/torsion bar setup.
Does it mean upto 31'' OD is no problem for the Thar Crde, especially in the front. Any one using them?? Also, what's your opinion about using non-radial 31" tyres on the Thar Crde, something like Apollo Bullet Sand cum Highway or Speedways NDMS 7.5x16.
Old 1st April 2014, 15:54   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
Does it mean upto 31'' OD is no problem for the Thar Crde, especially in the front. Any one using them?? Also, what's your opinion about using non-radial 31" tyres on the Thar Crde, something like Apollo Bullet Sand cum Highway or Speedways NDMS 7.5x16.
Though i dont own Thar but i have seen more than 2 dozens of thar with 31 inches MT tyres, few of them friend of mine. As you guys are not into hardcore offroading, you can put on 31 inches tyre, because i have seen few Thar CRDe with scrapped front bumpers.
Discourage you to go NDMS or apllos or any such tyres with above mentioned pattern. These tyres are not good for speed which Thar CRDe achieve easily. specially NDMS, their limited contact patch may result into vehicle skidding on a rainy day.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 19:19   #479
BHPian

Quote:
The 265/75/16 is going to be 32" so you can expect issues with the torsion bar settings and some fouling while taking full turns. Given that you want to intermittently changeover from the HTs you have which are probably 30" at max, its going to need extra work every time you make the swap. The ideal situation would have been to have both sets of tyres and wheels so the changes would've been seamless. The 245/75/16 is the nearest match in the Maxxis which I'm currently running and I can tell you that there's been a lot of iterations to get it right for me. So I'd be very hesitant to swap them with something else if I had two sets.
Hi Amolpol

Thanks again for your help. I wont go in for the 265 MT's also then. Dropped the idea of getting M/T's as my off-roading isnt that much, but I was seeing the Yokohama Geolander A/T's 275/70R16, what do you think about these tires, would they be good for the Thar or would pose to be a problem technicality wise, I already have 255's thus I wanted to move up a size. Please advise, thanks again.
Old 7th April 2014, 12:53   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Though i dont own Thar but i have seen more than 2 dozens of thar with 31 inches MT tyres, few of them friend of mine. As you guys are not into hardcore offroading, you can put on 31 inches tyre, because i have seen few Thar CRDe with scrapped front bumpers.
Discourage you to go NDMS or apllos or any such tyres with above mentioned pattern. These tyres are not good for speed which Thar CRDe achieve easily. specially NDMS, their limited contact patch may result into vehicle skidding on a rainy day.

Shubhendra
Hi Shubhendra,

Could you please help me on the below:

I wont go in for the 265 MT's also then. Dropped the idea of getting M/T's as my off-roading isnt that much, but I was seeing the Yokohama Geolander A/T's 275/70R16, what do you think about these tires, would they be good for the Thar or would pose to be a problem technicality wise, I already have 255's thus I wanted to move up a size. Please advise, thanks again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks