Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2013, 16:48   #316
Senior - BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Timson and cpbopanna - the tank in the picture is of 45 liter capacity, for 55 liter tank (Bolero), K member could not be accommodated in the NGCS engineering layout. Thar CRDe layout is exactly same as Bolero VLX in this area, including part numbers. Hope this clarifies. For 45 liter capacity also, angle of departure and main fuel line layout were critical (common sense).

Dear Shahidbhai - yes, yes, yes, finally it has happened! You are the biggest "positive critic" of the vehicle and now you are buying it. This is the ultimate hurrah! Thank you so much, I am extremely happy today to have passed the ultimate test with flying colors! .

I know why you sold the MM and the Bolero, which I presume had either the XD3P or the DI engines, both just cannot match the "3S" properties of Thar, "Smooth - Silent - Surge of Power"! Period! Thanks once again, welcome to the club and enjoy, because when you will hit the right foot on the accelerator pedal, you will realize the power of the missile under it! ENJOY!

And, by the way, you may like to explore the possibility of making it better than my dear MH01V521! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dhabhar Bhai,
Tell me Sir,
List out what all modifications you recommend to make it better than MHo1V5211 - I will carry them out.

Can a gear lock and glove box lid lock be fitted on a Thar ? ( CRD e )

Of the cars sold,

MM550 had an XD3P engine with heater
Bolero had an DI Turbo 3200 engine, it is a good engine and running perfect even now.

My Scorpio has an MHawk engine and I would like to comment that it is an amazing diesel. Better than some Japanese diesels as well. I love it, and it is super quiet.

Last edited by desertfox : 23rd September 2013 at 16:51.
Old 23rd September 2013, 19:00   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
everything inside the car gets shaken even the Ganesha idol on the dash falls down and the steering wheel too begins to shake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet
The steering wheel shaking is not normal. Are you on stock wheels? I had upsized on day of delivery so cannot comment on the issue if you are running on stock wheels.
Quote:
I am running on stock bridgestones with tyre pressure 32 all round,I have put aftermarket alloys however the problem was there from day one.
Although my glovebox door also falls down on extremely bad roads at high speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox
Glove compartment lid falling off is a Mahindra fashion feature, in my Bolero too it happens frequently, it is designed to measure the intensity of a pothole on your suspension.
1. Stock tires are not OK for speeds above 80kph, especially with the existing suspension. I strongly recommend 255 width AT tires.

2. My glove compartment box doesn't drop open. Ever. Play around with the clip to fix the problem or get it checked/ replaced from A.S.S.
Old 28th September 2013, 21:05   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post

Apparently you've not spent enough time on this thread. The suspension issue and its resolution has been covered in page 2 or 3 itself as far as I can recollect.
Hello manveet,
How is the cf leaf-spring suspension set holding up?I too am contemplating on buying a pair.Although I have'nt contacted the dealer yet.Any new alternatives?

About the coolant issue:
The coolant level is still falling albeit slower than before.The reason given for the same by the A.S.S. people is that there might have been air gaps inthe pipe which were getting filled in the first week,hence the rapid decline in coolant level.
Thanks.
Old 3rd October 2013, 18:03   #319
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for Hella Dyna (Wiper) Blades for my Thar. Am slightly confused as few people are telling me 10" and few are saying 12".

AFAIK, the Thar stock wiper blades are 10" with apparently no margin for anything longer than this. Do I use the same size for Hella, or will 12" also work. Any idea?
Old 3rd October 2013, 18:27   #320
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for Hella Dyna (Wiper) Blades for my Thar. Am slightly confused as few people are telling me 10" and few are saying 12".

AFAIK, the Thar stock wiper blades are 10" with apparently no margin for anything longer than this. Do I use the same size for Hella, or will 12" also work. Any idea?
Manveet
Please go for 12" Hella Dyna-edge wipers, they suit the Thar and the sweep is excellent.
They should set you back by around 1k, approximately.
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 10:10   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Manveet
Please go for 12" Hella Dyna-edge wipers, they suit the Thar and the sweep is excellent.
They should set you back by around 1k, approximately.
Cool, and I am assuming these 12" blades are direct bolt on fits - no modification needed, right?

Asking because I will pay in advance for these. My regular accessories wala doesn't stock these so he will get on order. I don't see myself driving down all the way to Gurgaon for a pair of wiper blades.

Thanks!.
Old 4th October 2013, 11:46   #322
BHPian

Manveet,

Rajith, Bopanna and I have all fitted the 12" Hella Dynapro and it is a direct fit. No issues at all and like Bopanna said, the sweep is excellent. You will also no longer have a problem with the wipers hitting the beading (at least I did with the original wipers).

How is your HT doing? All leaks sorted out?

Regards,
Manas
manasm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 17:20   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Hello manveet,
How is the cf leaf-spring suspension set holding up?I too am contemplating on buying a pair.Although I have'nt contacted the dealer yet.Any new alternatives?

About the coolant issue:
The coolant level is still falling albeit slower than before.The reason given for the same by the A.S.S. people is that there might have been air gaps inthe pipe which were getting filled in the first week,hence the rapid decline in coolant level.
Thanks.
Hey manveet,
kindly answer my above query regarding the Composite Fibre leaf springs as I need to finalize the order this weekend.Just waiting for your take onthe performance of the leaf-springs.
Old 5th October 2013, 18:48   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello manveet,
Quote:
Hey manveet,
kindly answer my above query regarding the Composite Fibre leaf springs as I need to finalize the order this weekend.Just waiting for your take onthe performance of the leaf-springs.
Hi. Actually I have given detailed feedback on the CF leaf-springs somewhere on my thread. Anyhow, to summarize, they are good, but definitely overpriced. Recommended due to lack of options.

There is a new alternative, called Janiah leaf springs, developed by Mr. Janiah with input/ support of Fazal Ali in Hyderabad. I think it was iMASKARAN that got those installed but I am not sure.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3159819

You will have to look around T-Bhp for his detailed review post, or try directly PM'ing iMASKARAN for the same. Please paste the link to that post if you manage to find it, else I'll try to look for it tomorrow or day after and put it here, just so readers on this thread can benefit as well.

Last edited by manveet : 5th October 2013 at 18:49.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 20:13   #325
BHPian

Quote:

You will have to look around T-Bhp for his detailed review post, or try directly PM'ing iMASKARAN for the same. Please paste the link to that post if you manage to find it, else I'll try to look for it tomorrow or day after and put it here, just so readers on this thread can benefit as well.
Hey thanks for the prompt reply.
Found the links:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3155781
This is the review:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3156837

Also one more thing:
Ours is a july manufactured Thar do you think I am eligible for the brake upgrade?Because the present set up is a bit scary.It is very spongy & the pedal goes a bit more deeper while being depressed in hard braking situations.Whats your take on this issue?
Thanks.

Last edited by dean5545 : 5th October 2013 at 20:19. Reason: brake issue added.
Old 5th October 2013, 20:38   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also one more thing:
Ours is a july manufactured Thar do you think I am eligible for the brake upgrade?Because the present set up is a bit scary.It is very spongy & the pedal goes a bit more deeper while being depressed in hard braking situations.Whats your take on this issue?
Thanks.
Does not matter. Brake upgrade is not covered under warranty anymore, anyways.
Old 6th October 2013, 14:01   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Originals are 12 inches, not 10. However, M&M has a production line issue wherein on certain new Thars the wipers hit the beading regardless of how the wiper arms are adjusted. 10 inchers may improve this slightly.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...-moulding.html
Old 7th October 2013, 19:22   #328
Senior - BHPian

News Update: Mahindra Thar updated at no extra cost

Source
http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...ra-cost/17190/

Quote:
Mahindra has incorporated some important changes to improve the Thar based on customer feedback.

The Mahindra Thar has risen to become quite the lifestyle vehicle while also being a capable off-roader too. Mahindra has now introduced a few updates based on customer feedback, in a bid to make the Jeep that much more civil.
Really? Any changes to the brakes?

Quote:
Chief among the updates is a cross bar welded between the A- and B-pillars to improve structural rigidity, as there was a fair bit of clatter over bad roads due to the B-pillar hitting the doors.
I noticed this development the other day when a gentleman had dropped in to check out my Thar (basis this thread on TBHP) and buy the Innova Seats.

But prima facie the cross welded bars seemed to be quite flimsy. Especially compared to the method suggested by DB ji, i.e. to connect each of the B-pillars to the Bull-bar with an iron piece bolted at both ends. Anyhow, I plan to drop in to a M&M showroom to check these cross bars out more closely and see if it can be incorporated into my Thar, considering the fact that my Thar has a few inches shopped off from the A and B pillars.

But I recommend those with stock Thars to definitely go in for these bars. Its an engineered solution provided by the M&M folks and not a very expensive one at that too.

Quote:
Other interior updates include stronger door handles, screws are now used to attach the soft top instead of the earlier pins, the rear seats have been lowered to improve headroom for passengers and the air-con switches are now the units found in the Bolero VLX.
The inside door handles are a bit flimsy, but the outside ones are fine - am not sure which these guys are referring to. So I will surely check out those as well as the air-con switches too. I really don't see a problem in the existing ones but hey, something nicer looking is always welcome.

The pins were a nuisance, I remember my brand new Thar had a couple of those broken. These screws are a welcome development.

The rear seats are useless as they are, but guess that is a necessary evil to meet 7-seater regulations. So, any change to those are welcome. But this is not much value add as quite a few buyers get rid of the side facing benches anyways.

Quote:
Lastly, but importantly, the front axle’s auto locking hubs have been replaced by a more reliable fixed flange setup (which means that the front driveshafts are always engaged).
Request the technical experts to please comment on this. The background context, as well as the pros and cons of this development. I was not aware that these hubs were a source of complaint.

Quote:
Mahindra has introduced these updates at no additional cost and most of these updates such as the front cross member can be integrated in the existing Thar and the auto locking hubs can be replaced with the fixed flange too.
Thank you. But will M&M be doing it within warranty. THAT is the question. Because if some of these changes (esp. the auto locking hubs vs. fixed flange setup) make the Thar more reliable, which means it was earlier not so reliable. Which means change under warranty?

BTW, I have a long standing issue of a dirty squeaking sound coming from my front right wheel. It is something which keeps coming off and on. But the frequency has decreased. Initially I thought that a pebble was stuck somewhere in my brake-system (like between the metal plate and discs) and it would fall off eventually, but its been over a month now and the noise is still there off and on. I have shifted between 2H to 4H to 4L and back, but the sound is still there? Could this be related to the Hubs?

We were one car short in the garage, so was delaying my Thar's Service inspection for this problem, will do that now.

OT
* My ML350 is most likely getting its suspension parts replaced (again!!) within 3 years and 28k kms on the odo. And you guys keep complaining about Mahindra quality issues.
* And in another development, we took delivery of a VW Polo GT TSi today. A Jeep and a hot-hatch. I like the combination. But don't worry dear Jeep, you are still more fun to drive. Sigh!

Last edited by manveet : 7th October 2013 at 19:49.
manveet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 20:23   #329
BHPian

Re: News Update: Mahindra Thar updated at no extra cost

Quote:
* And in another development, we took delivery of a VW Polo GT TSi today. A Jeep and a hot-hatch. I like the combination. But don't worry dear Jeep, you are still more fun to drive. Sigh!
Hey manveet,
Congrats for the Polo GT Tsi,that car is a hoot to drive!Hope you enjoy it to the core.
However driving the head turning,care-free Thar is an altogether different story!
My friend who owns the Thar also owns a Polo & a Fortuner,however he still picks up the Thar for its daily college run!
Old 8th October 2013, 16:56   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lastly, but importantly, the front axle’s auto locking hubs have been replaced by a more reliable fixed flange setup (which means that the front driveshafts are always engaged).
Request senior Jeepers to please comment on this. The background context, as well as the pros and cons of this development. I was not aware that these hubs were a source of complaint.

Is this an improvement on the Thar?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks