Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:54   #391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
very hard suspension. Even Bolero which had leaf springs in the back was better.

The reverse gear does not engage easily when the vehicle is driven out from its parked position.

The fourth - the tailgate does not open is a minor issue that can be solved locally as is a rattle here a rattle there.

Fifth - there is a rattling sound when the engine is running idle. On depressing the clutch it goes off.!
My Thar is now almost a year old now and still in stock condition in all sense and has covered 6600 km. still I feel the suspensions are so damn hard that it sometimes bone jarring. I know jeeps ride hard, however I find my Thar to be extremely hard.

I had hard to engage reverser gear issue. I reported it and was solved to a much satisfaction. I also had hard to engage 2nd gear. That was also solved by ASC.

The tailgate issue - looks like Mahindra has consistent quality. I faced that issue. I lived with it till service was due. I used to open in from inside by moving the lock pin. That was fixed in last service.

The issue of noise disappearing on clutch depressed, I have that too. Reported it, however have not seen satisfactory solution. After a long drive it is back and then stays.

I have no clue what to do with suspension setup, however need to do something. I know leafs can ride better.

The service, clutch is the main issue I am going to raise again.
Old 22nd October 2013, 20:40   #392
Senior - BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Dhabhar Bhai thanks for the great advice.
Every vehicle is truely different.
Yes if I wait for 1 sec the reverse gear smoothly slots in. So a gentle smooth shift is required.

What is a Targa band in the canopy ? First time i heard this term ?
Old 22nd October 2013, 21:02   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Update :

All the time on the phone the Service Centre guys were talking about Control Arm Bushes. What they have actually replaced are the LHS and RHS Rubber Rebound Stopper IFS 2WD.
Manveet, how much did they charge for the rubber stoppers (part+labor)?
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:37   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Dhabhar Bhai, if I wait for 1 second the reverse gear smoothly slots in. So a gentle smooth shift is required. What is a Targa band in the canopy ? First time I heard this term ?
Dear Shahidbhai - thanks for your correct comment on the reverse gear, now please ask the "guys" what is the reason and get their "replies" (). Let's see what the replies are, it will be very interesting to know the myriad replies people give to customers when customers ask! Targa band is the hard pillar extending upwards at the B pillar location. This is a Porsche terminology. I am referring to the sheet metal band behind your head on which the seat belts and internal light are fitted.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 23rd October 2013, 13:12   #395

Friends - Can anyone suggest how to remove the soft top canvas. I know there are screws on the side and above the doors, but how do we take them off from front (above the front windshield). No screws are visible. Is removal and putting back too cumbersome? Since I recently purchased one so company says they have replaced pins with screws. Any experiences/ photos to share? Thanks...
Old 23rd October 2013, 14:02   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshmunjal View Post
Friends - Can anyone suggest how to remove the soft top canvas. I know there are screws on the side and above the doors, but how do we take them off from front (above the front windshield). No screws are visible. Is removal and putting back too cumbersome? Since I recently purchased one so company says they have replaced pins with screws. Any experiences/ photos to share? Thanks...
First you need to undo the bolts on the sides above the wheel. At the back the top is secured to the frame with just velcro. Then you need to pull out the top from the frame above the doors. It is secured there with push in pins which have tendency to break when pulled out with too much force so you have to be careful. In the latest thar these have been replaced with plastic screws which can be unscrewed and then the pin can be pulled off. Next you need to slide out the canopy from the slots in the back of the B-pillar or targa band on both sides. Lastly you need to slide out the canopy from the slot over the front windshield. There are no screws there. Hope this helps
samwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 15:21   #397

Thanks, will try this weekend...Hopefully should take 30 min each bothways - taking off and putting back.
Old 23rd October 2013, 16:28   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshmunjal View Post
Thanks, will try this weekend...Hopefully should take 30 min each bothways - taking off and putting back.
Please do take some detailed photos and post of the process :-).
Old 23rd October 2013, 19:19   #399
Senior - BHPian

So this post was the genesis of an idea.

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-genesis.jpg

I have seen so many beautiful Thar's around but not everyone's membership on TBHP gets approved. And then there are Thar owners who offroad with different groups in NCR that apparently don't get along quite well. But we are all united by our love for the Thar.

In which case, please join in here .. https://www.facebook.com/groups/ncrtharownersgroup

This group is just about all of us and our Thar's. No advertisements, no Jokes, no Spam. And I hope to bring in some good learnings from the FB Group to all of us here on TBHP as well. I read TBHP rules once again just before making this post, don't believe I am flouting any of them. Do let me know if anyone has an issue. But lets not go OT on this thread.

Cheers!

p.s.
Samwagon and Desertfox .. hope to see you around on FB. We can plan our there. And can hopefully have many others join in.
manveet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 16:56   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shahidbhai - thanks for your correct comment on the reverse gear, now please ask the "guys" what is the reason and get their "replies" (). Let's see what the replies are, it will be very interesting to know the myriad replies people give to customers when customers ask! Targa band is the hard pillar extending upwards at the B pillar location. This is a Porsche terminology. I am referring to the sheet metal band behind your head on which the seat belts and internal light are fitted.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
My guess is that the reverse gear of the Thar, like most Manual transmission systems is non synchonized in the synchchromesh and on shifting into reverse it sits on an idler gear first.

With use the idler gear will bed in with the system and the shifts will be smoother.
Old 29th October 2013, 02:37   #401
BANNED

hi manveet can you please tell me where did you get you black projector headlights done n how much did it cost you ? I enquired with a company in delhi n got a quote of 22k for a pair!?!!!!
Old 29th October 2013, 17:22   #402

We all have same minor issues with our beautiful Jeeps,
Just an add on to it
My Air conditioner Suddenly stopped working..
Did any of you guys had the same experience??
Completed 9840 kms in my Thar.
Old 30th October 2013, 11:11   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamvir30 View Post
We all have same minor issues with our beautiful Jeeps,
Just an add on to it
My Air conditioner Suddenly stopped working..
Did any of you guys had the same experience??
Completed 9840 kms in my Thar.
Is it OEM or after market unit?

There are a few things to be checked
1. Is there power to the clutch. Normally a blown fuse will be the culprit.
2. Is the blower working? Most of the car AC will not switch on if the blower is off.
3. In case the above is not the case, get the gas checked, it may have leaked out.
Old 30th October 2013, 11:14   #404
Senior - BHPian

A new discovery :

On switching on the windscreen wash the water jet does not spray on the windscreen but inside the cabin, into the passenger seat foot well. perhaps a pipe is loose somewhere.
Poor quality inspection at works.
Poor quality PDI at dealers end.

Bychance do Mahindra's Nasik factory have an ISO rating ?
Old 30th October 2013, 23:03   #405
BHPian

@Manveet - Hope you dont mind me asking but approximately how much have you spent over and above the ex-showroom price of the vehicle - including mods and repairs to get the factory issues sorted out? Just curious that all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks