Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2013, 12:15   #121
BHPian

Re: Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Quick Updates

1. New Momo Steering wheel with some suede, and nice red out-stitching to go with the upholstery.
Wow, very nice. I was thinking about buying Thar for sometime now and day by day my interest is growing. Hope something good will happen before end of this year for me to finalize
Old 14th March 2013, 12:37   #122
Senior - BHPian

Moral Dilemma

Oh, and there is one more thing I wanted an opinion on.

Almost whenever I take out my Jeep for a spin, I have someone wave me down and ask me what Jeep this is - whether it is a genuine Jeep, has Jeep launched in India, whether I imported it, or have modified an older Jeep. Only 10% of people actually have a clue that this is/was a Thar.

Up till now I used to clarify to people that it is in fact a Mahindra Thar. But considering the fact that all Mahindra did to create the Thar was merge the Balero and Scorpio in an MM5XX body coupled with the fact that I have modified it so much over and above that - I really don't think I should be promoting the Thar brand so much or helping people out of their confusion by telling them its a Thar .

I am thinking I will stick to the "no, I modified an old Mahindra." That much credit is more than enough for them I think. Serves them for not giving me nice seats, power windows, hard-top option, and all the other creature comforts.

What say?
manveet is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 14:08   #123
Senior - BHPian

Re: Moral Dilemma

Quote:
...Serves them for not giving me nice seats, power windows, hard-top option, and all the other creature comforts.

What say?

I think I can understand the frustration, but I feel you should mention that you have modified a NEW Mahindra Thar, thereby giving credit due to M&M and also taking due credit for yourself.

Lovely mods, BTW, and each one enhancing the look/appeal of the vehicle as a whole...Congrats and wishing you many,many miles of Happy Jeeping !

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 14th March 2013 at 14:10.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 15:59   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quick Updates
Awesome Mods Manveet. Sure makes the Thar stand out!

Seeing all your wonderful mods, I am surprised you haven't done anything to the rear bumpers (or extensions)! Why don't you get the extensions such as these? The DI seems to have these as standard. For the CRDe, I believe they bolted on the extra 'bumpers' on to this.
Name:  thar_di.png
Views: 14986
Size:  219.3 KB
Should be easily available and reasonably priced in Mayapuri. Could be an interim solution till you get your final custom rear bumper with the spare wheel mount that you are planning. Just a thought!
Old 14th March 2013, 16:53   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Awesome Mods Manveet. Sure makes the Thar stand out!

Seeing all your wonderful mods, I am surprised you haven't done anything to the rear bumpers (or extensions)! Why don't you get the extensions such as these? The DI seems to have these as standard. For the CRDe, I believe they bolted on the extra 'bumpers' on to this.
Attachment 1062443
Should be easily available and reasonably priced in Mayapuri. Could be an interim solution till you get your final custom rear bumper with the spare wheel mount that you are planning. Just a thought!
Damn!! You will NOT believe this. For the past 2 days since I removed those fenders, the bumperettes seem to be sticking out and I spent at least 20 minutes staring at them trying to figure out what to do with those. Now, here you are out of the bolt - talking about the same thing!!

The custom bumper with the mount was never in the plan - the idea was to move the rear wheel to the centre of the tail gate. Anyhow, what I had decided today morning is to chop and reduce the width of the bumper about two inchesextension and raise it by one inch. That would have made the end product very similar to what you have shown in the picture. If Mahindra has that part in the circle as a standard, then I will surely remove the bumper and add those. I am sure DB sir will be able to help out with the part no.

Last edited by manveet : 14th March 2013 at 17:02.
Old 14th March 2013, 17:53   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Damn!! You will NOT believe this. For the past 2 days since I removed those fenders, the bumperettes seem to be sticking out and I spent at least 20 minutes staring at them trying to figure out what to do with those. Now, here you are out of the bolt - talking about the same thing!!

Quote:
The custom bumper with the mount was never in the plan - the idea was to move the rear wheel to the centre of the tail gate.
Well, if you are looking to relocate the spare wheel, this would look best.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...har-ht-076.jpg

Quote:
Anyhow, what I had decided today morning is to chop and reduce the width of the bumper about two inchesextension and raise it by one inch. That would have made the end product very similar to what you have shown in the picture. If Mahindra has that part in the circle as a standard, then I will surely remove the bumper and add those. I am sure DB sir will be able to help out with the part no.
For the bumper ends, why don't you give Mayapuri a try? With the amount of auctioned Army vehicles there, am sure you would be able to find a decent pair rather easily. Ordering through Mahindra could be a comparatively lengthier and expensive process. But yes, BD sir can surely guide you more appropriately.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 14th March 2013 at 17:55.
Old 14th March 2013, 18:01   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, if you are looking to relocate the spare wheel, this would look best.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...har-ht-076.jpg
Yes, that gives a general idea of the location. But I basically plan to increase the length of the rod supporting the wheel, and move the bolts two inches left. So wheel will essentially move two inches left but with the exact look as present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice
For the bumper ends, why don't you give Mayapuri a try? With the amount of auctioned Army vehicles there, am sure you would be able to find a decent pair rather easily. Ordering through Mahindra could be a comparatively lengthier and expensive process. But yes, BD sir can surely guide you more appropriately.
Going all the way to Mayapuri, and that too on a weekday as they are closed on Sunday - is too much time and effort for something so small. I mean its a Mahindra part, I don't expect it too be too expensive. Will check it out when I take the Jeep for first service.
Old 14th March 2013, 18:07   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Going all the way to Mayapuri, and that too on a weekday as they are closed on Sunday - is too much time and effort for something so small. I mean its a Mahindra part, I don't expect it too be too expensive. Will check it out when I take the Jeep for first service.
Well, yeah Mayapuri does need time and effort. Getting through the dealer would be easier I guess once you have the correct part no. By expensive, I didn't mean in absolute terms, just in comparison to what it would cost in the scrap market.

All the best and now looking forward to your next set of updates!
Old 14th March 2013, 18:24   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For the bumper ends, why don't you give Mayapuri a try? With the amount of auctioned Army vehicles there, am sure you would be able to find a decent pair rather easily. Ordering through Mahindra could be a comparatively lengthier and expensive process. But yes, BD sir can surely guide you more appropriately
Dear Manveet and Dry Ice - I would have gladly given them to you. They were lying in my last drawer in my office in Nasik. Any decent shop will sell you a pair, this is a very common part of the original MM540. I could not use them in the Thar CRDe and was forced to use the "protruding" bumpers courtesy CMVR. You can throw them out along with the number plate and make your own, everything there is an absolute eyesore but nobody had "official" eyes to see it! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 14th March 2013 at 18:25. Reason: add info
Old 15th March 2013, 10:03   #130
Senior - BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Hi guys.

Refer the rear bumpers. Left or Right? Any opinions?
Also, any disadvantage of getting rid of the rear mud-flap?

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130315_080931-copy.jpg  

Last edited by manveet : 15th March 2013 at 10:26.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 12:32   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys.

Regards.
Hi Manveet,
Rear mud flap avoids spalshing, muck, water etc to trailing vehicle/person, would strongly suggest to keep it. Imagine a guy wearing brand new white shirt and going to his office on first day of his job and was trailing you and there came a pothole filled with muck.....

Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 13:30   #132
BHPian

Bumpers - the left one is certainly more preferable, but, as pointed out by Shubhendra, you need to retain the mud flaps and the bumper itself needs to be taken out painted and given a better finish.

The Jeep is looking really gorgeous. About time you made some time to get out that DSLR and shoot her in some good light and good angles. You're not doing justice to the work you've put into her
Old 15th March 2013, 13:44   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys.
Regards.
Left with mud flaps, IMO, will look great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
About time you made some time to get out that DSLR and shoot her in some good light and good angles. You're not doing justice to the work you've put into her
Totally agree. Those wheels are awesome. Post the pics on 'tastefully modified cars' thread too.
Old 16th March 2013, 12:09   #134
Senior - BHPian

Brake Upgrade : Part Details

Hi,

Just came across these pics in my mobile phone. These are of the part no. and MRP etc. of the Brake upgrade that Koncept Mahindra does Free of Cost in the first year.

Just in case someone in some other city needs help - also attached is photo of my receipt that this is to be done under warranty.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-img2012120100240.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-img2012120100241.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130316_115938-copy.jpg  

Old 16th March 2013, 20:10   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Just came across these pics in my mobile phone. These are of the part no. and MRP etc. of the Brake upgrade that Koncept Mahindra does Free of Cost in the first year.

Just in case someone in some other city needs help - also attached is photo of my receipt that this is to be done under warranty.

Hope that helps.
Is this the upgrade to the Scorpio brakes? What did you tell the dealership to get it done? I know some folks have bought it and upgraded outside of Mahindra.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks