Italian HT 21 11.35%
Roplas HT 8 4.32%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2015, 23:38   #241
BHPian

Re: The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar

Hi,

Anyone who has a FRP HT and taken the Thar on off-roading? My HT is around 3 years old and have done 5-6 off-roading drives. There is leakage developed from the joint of B-pillar and the rear part of HT.

I am planning to replace the HT. Thinking if it's better to go for a metal HT instead of FRP, to avoid any leakage problems in future. Any thoughts from others? The Kerala HT's seem to be from Central Motors Thrissur - any comments / details from people around Thrissur area? Also, anyone knows of a good metal HT maker in / around Chennai? Thrissur / Coimbatore may be an option, just checking for any pointers for good places around Chennai.

thanks
Siva
Old 2nd January 2016, 23:12   #242
BHPian

Saw a Thar CRDe for sale on OLx. Just love the hard top. Don't think it's any of the above.

Can anyone help identify this please.
http://olx.in/i2/all-results/q-Thar-crde/?view=gallery
Old 20th August 2016, 15:16   #243
Senior - BHPian

http://azad4x4.com/mahindra%20%20tha...-based-hardtop

I am planning some modifications on my Thar and among few, a hard top is on the back of my mind. While I could see a fair of discussion on hard tops by some fabricators, there is not much on the newly introduced fiber HT by Azad4x4. Can anyone help me with their experience?
Old 20th August 2016, 19:00   #244
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I saw one Orange KL Registered Rubicon Modified Thar recently. Very very detailed right down to the bonnet opening catches and nice flared wheel arches and so on.
It had a first class flat hard top just like the Rubicon.

I guess it is the perfect substitute per se - the poor man's Wrangler!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 07:28   #245
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Im re-posting this because there are so many Thar threads and I really want to share this feedback.

There are two Thar CRde's in HSR Layout for sale in the local dealer place.
One is a 2014 model for which the man wants 7.25 lacs and the other is a 2015 model for which he wants 8 lacs.

I sat about in both of them and twiddled them about a bit.
Im used to the old standard 2112 CC engined MM540 (1987 model) and 2594 cc engined MM550DP (1994, 1996,1999 Models).

When considering the situation from memory I remember the old 540 had a straight gear lever positioned similar to this Thar. But its 4WD lever with H and L etc was right next to it and could be seen quite easily whilst driving.

The 550DP's had a sort of slightly bent gear lever which actually was much much more ergonomic and comfortable while shifting gears at reasonable speeds in the hills, changing up or down was a breeze. Its 4WD lever also was very well placed and each slot was visible from the driving position.

This new Thar Crde on the other hand - the gear lever is ramrod straight - not as ergonomic as my old 550. Most certainly this is true.

Next, the blessed 4WD lever is to the right and slightly behind the gear lever which means the blighted thing is located kind of under the dashboard fascia which means that it is not immediately accessible and one has to kind of "peer" below and really squint to see what slot one wants to put it in, whether 4H or 2H or 4L or whatever. Extremely inconveniently placed.

The funny thing is that in the old MM's there was absolutely no "shift on the fly". One had to be at a standstill if one wanted to shift to 4WD.
These new vehicles say that they are "Borg Warner" manual shift on the fly type. But the positioning of the lever is such that one absolutely has to come to a standstill in order to locate the slot into which one wants to put the 4WD lever!

Very very poor design indeed in my opinion. Most inconvenient!
Of course, I am fully aware that as with all proper 4WD systems it is a good practice to come to a standstill, press the clutch fully, engage whichever slot required of the 4WD and then move ahead in low gear etc. But the positioning in the Thar basically makes it very inconvenient to "test" their "shift on the fly"...

And having not sat in a Thar since the day it was launched, I was most terribly shocked with the insides and the fit and finish and feel and so on.

The blighted machine feels EXACTLY like the 30 year old MM540 and 20 year old MM550's!!
Absolutely NO changes for the better in terms of quality, fit, finish, ergonomics, feel, etc!

And therefore, it leads me to ask, what the hell took these M&M boys so blightedly long to plonk the DI engine and/ or the Crde engine into this vehicle? It is a damnably crude piece of work as a vehicle and 30 years down the line the blighted machine costs 8-10 lacs for the hardtop! And it has absolutely NOTHING in it, in terms of safety kit! Not even ABS!! Bah!

Our 1987 MM cost Rs 1.1 lacs in the Nilgiris - On Road.
The 1996-1999 550 cost about 2.25 lacs in Coorg/ Chikmagalur - On Road.

I am completely stunned that essentially the same vehicle as what we had in the old days, now costs close to 8 times as much or 4 times as much!!

I think while the vehicle looks lovely and is quite torquey and functional and all that, these M&M boys really need to sit up and take notice of consumer feedback especially in terms of quality, fit, finish, finesse and feel and safety and so on etc!

Im truly disappointed that the Indian consumer is consistently being taken for a good long bumpy ride by the manufacturers, even those of such repute as M&M!!!

Really, I just can't get over this at all!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2016, 04:36   #246

Found this on Youtube.
Has anyone tried this hardtop? Any feedback regarding the same?
I am in market for a metal hardtop, so was curious who is leading the present market of Thar hardtop with regard to Quality and Affordability?
Old 5th September 2016, 13:56   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit_navigator View Post
This is the Hyderbad hard top top. Many on this forum have installed. You can check the reviews and decide.

Quote:
I am in market for a metal hardtop, so was curious who is leading the present market of Thar hardtop with regard to Quality and Affordability?
Metal hard top is fragmented market and will have to done in the area you live as the Thar will need to be left with them for month at a minimum.

There are now good FRP tops available from Prabhu and from Bimbra. So, I suggest stick with FRP since the Metal top if not done properly will rust and plus it also weighs more. Moreover, to reverse it is hard as it will be welded onto your exiting structure.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 13:19   #248
BHPian

Quote:

Found this on Youtube.
Hi if i remember correctly this is Revheads based in Chandigarh. They were Sub-dealers for Azad 4x4 from New Delhi.

This is a FRP top and not metal. In case you are interested in this you can contact Mr Chadha of Azad 4x4 at +91 9971900303 / 09811059549

Website - http://azad4x4.com/

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd October 2017 at 20:30. Reason: Please avoid Quoting youtube video for reply, affects readability. Thanks.
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 18:09   #249

Thar Hardtop in Hyderabad_Metal vs FRP

Hello BHPians !!

This is my first post in the forum

I have a Mahindra THAR CRDe (2015 model) and am looking for good Hard Top options in Hyderabad. ( I have already checked out New Mars but was wondering if there are other options ). Some of the forum members had suggested workshops in Bahadurpura area as well.
Please help me with following queries wrt Hardtop for my beloved Thar:

1. Should I go for Metal Top or FRP top ? What are the key factors which should be kept in mind ?

2. Anyone familiar with the vendors in Bahadurpura ?

Thanks,
Naqi
Old 23rd October 2017, 21:17   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Adding some pics of the Rogeotech hard top sold by Rohan in Coimbatore.
Attached Thumbnails
The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-2-copy.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-3-copy.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-4-copy.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-6-copy.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-7-copy.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-8-copy.jpg  

Last edited by 4x4addict : 23rd October 2017 at 21:23.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 19:29   #251
BHPian

The roplas stallion i have has been done in 2 colour scheme just thought i will post some pics
Attached Thumbnails
The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-img20180620wa0001.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-20180620_154638_hdr1.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-img20180620wa0002.jpg  

Last edited by ashwinvardhan : 20th June 2018 at 19:35.
ashwinvardhan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 21:52   #252
BHPian

I need suggestion and advice on the following please-
1) I plan to get a Thar modified from Bimbra in Gurgaon. How good are they, if at all?
2) Can I purchase a new Thar in Gurgaon, get it dressed by Bimbra and bring it back to my home city and get it registered here?
3) What suspension modification should be done to make the ride plusher?
4) I have observed that the Thar lacks in low end torque. I need suggestion for sharper throttle mods.

Eagerly awaiting inputs/suggestion from members :-)
Old 4th September 2018, 12:14   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mads2849 View Post
1) I plan to get a Thar modified from Bimbra in Gurgaon. How good are they, if at all?
2) Can I purchase a new Thar in Gurgaon, get it dressed by Bimbra and bring it back to my home city and get it registered here?
3) What suspension modification should be done to make the ride plusher?
4) I have observed that the Thar lacks in low end torque. I need suggestion for sharper throttle mods.

Eagerly awaiting inputs/suggestion from members :-)
1) They are very good and hold quite exhaustive experience in developing customized accessories for Thar and modifying it. They are recommended for mod-jobs on your Thar.

2) Legally, a Thar can be purchased anywhere in India (provided a M&M showroom exists there and they sell Thar!) and brought to your home place by acquiring a temporary registration from there. Most of the commercial cars which need customized body-work get the chassis delivered with temporary registration and the owners bring those to their preferred place for body building.

But there is a caveat to it. No modification is suggested before getting your car registered followed by inspection of MVI in respective RTO. So if you perform mod-jobs before registration some problems may crop up while registering unless you can manage it in your local RTO.

3) Ironman suspension is internationally known as best in 4x4 segment.

4) DieselTronic is available for Thar. But how much torque exactly do you need in low end where a 4L option with transfer case exists! Obviously CRDe engine lacks a bit in low end torque than its Di sibling. Again, any kind of such mod is not suggested as NEF CRDe engine is very much sensitive to these parameters for optimal performance. So, alter it at your own risk.

Last edited by Blooming Flower : 4th September 2018 at 12:23.
Blooming Flower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 12:47   #254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mads2849 View Post
You can do that but it might get tricky unless you have knowns in RTO. We bought a 730 from Gurgaon last Year and had a difficult time in getting it registered at Kolkatta. They sent a copy of our papers to Gurgaon, BMW Dealer and even BMW dealer in Kolkatta asking to verify.

If it's going to be your first Jeep, I will suggest you keep the stock way at least for 5000 Km. It's very important to know your vehicle before making any changes and no matter how good is the guy, prefer something locally.
Old 4th September 2018, 15:57   #255
Senior - BHPian

Buy a Thar in your city. Guwahati that is. Drive your Thar for 3000 to 5000 KM and get to know it. The run it period. Get the little niggles sorted out. Then order a hard top from whomever you prefer. Bimbra or the Hyderabad guy Prabhu will ship it to Guwahati. Get it installed there. If the Hyderabad HT team has not created a facility in Calcutta or Guwahati already he will send a person there.

Suspension for a better ride too i.e. modified rear leaf spring set is provided by the same Hyderabad guys.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks