Hyderabad Tall 27 14.59%
Performance 36 19.46%
Italian HT 21 11.35%
Roplas HT 8 4.32%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2014, 23:28   #166
BHPian

This looks like the Hyderabad Hard top if I'm not mistaken.
Old 20th February 2014, 21:35   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaism View Post
This looks like the Hyderabad Hard top if I'm not mistaken.
The picture is the Hyderabad hard top. But as the comment in fb says, it would be the one that was in Auto expo - The midnight edition Thar
Old 20th February 2014, 22:07   #168
BHPian

Re: The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar

The Thar Midnight edition pic, for reference sake:-

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-1203543d1391722201tmahindraautoexpo201413.jpg

Pic taken from Team BHP’s Auto Expo report.

Regards,
Varun
Old 21st February 2014, 17:43   #169
BHPian

but why would they use the hyderabad HT for their official display at the expo?

i had asked on that FB thread if the HT used on the Midnight edition has been done by the Customization team in Mumbai (the ones who did Avigo's)

But havent heard back from them yet.
Old 21st February 2014, 18:33   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
but why would they use the hyderabad HT for their official display at the expo?

i had asked on that FB thread if the HT used on the Midnight edition has been done by the Customization team in Mumbai (the ones who did Avigo's)

But havent heard back from them yet.
Singh sab,

How are you?

Looks like you are also glued to hard top topic.
The photo from FB clearly shows that the hard top is from Hyd HT. Mahindra will not reply on that subject in clear words however I have read somewhere (on Thar official review thread I guess) that showroom people ordered the Hyd HT for customer and fitted it in showroom itself so that is one possibility. If this happens expect 20/30 K more on original price of Hyd HT.

Secondly the hard top done by Mahindra customization on Avigo's Thar is best workman ship and it is difficult to make it an accessory item considering the rear modification done for rear door. Also why they will make it an accessory when one can contact Mahindra customization directly.

Surprisingly I can't find single snap of this midnight Thar clicked from rear view.

Accessory HT should be bolt on with zero modification to body, if they make customization version using original tail gate and lift door, it will be best beat.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 21st February 2014, 19:13   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Singh sab,

How are you?

Looks like you are also glued to hard top topic.
The photo from FB clearly shows that the hard top is from Hyd HT. Mahindra will not reply on that subject in clear words however I have read somewhere (on Thar official review thread I guess) that showroom people ordered the Hyd HT for customer and fitted it in showroom itself so that is one possibility. If this happens expect 20/30 K more on original price of Hyd HT.

Secondly the hard top done by Mahindra customization on Avigo's Thar is best workman ship and it is difficult to make it an accessory item considering the rear modification done for rear door. Also why they will make it an accessory when one can contact Mahindra customization directly.

Surprisingly I can't find single snap of this midnight Thar clicked from rear view.

Accessory HT should be bolt on with zero modification to body, if they make customization version using original tail gate and lift door, it will be best beat.

Thanks,
Vishal
hi vishal ,

i am well? Thanks... did you hold onto your Thar or has it gone ? I had my eye on it
Yup im chasing down all HT related threads because its one of the biggest factors for me when buying a Thar

I do agree with your point that if a HT is sold as an accessory it will have to be a bolt on job, instead of the customization one which Avigo got. Next time im in mumbai will definetely check out Avigos Thar

Cheers

Kundan
Old 2nd March 2014, 08:23   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Three in, seven more to go!

Guys, I have asked the supplier to send me a fresh quote for 10 Nos. individually-wrapped italian hard-tops (in a 20' container), CIF Chennai!

If I get another 7 interests, I can work out the final pricing.

It will roughly take 3 months after confirmed order and full payment!
Hi Bopanna, I would be interested too if you are still planning to order Italian hardtops in bulk. Please let me know if this plan is still on or if I am too late !

Thanks,
Old 3rd March 2014, 11:28   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
hi vishal ,

i am well? Thanks... did you hold onto your Thar or has it gone ? I had my eye on it
Yup im chasing down all HT related threads because its one of the biggest factors for me when buying a Thar

I do agree with your point that if a HT is sold as an accessory it will have to be a bolt on job, instead of the customization one which Avigo got. Next time im in mumbai will definetely check out Avigos Thar

Cheers

Kundan
For now I am holding it back for emotional factor with Jeep
I am also looking for HT now but my budget is very low so will have to wait for some more time.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 11th March 2014, 15:11   #174

I would like to Thank all Team Bhp members who have supported us in the past few years through their valuable suggestions and criticism. We developed The Bimbra Hardtop in 2011. 3 years and few hundred hardtops later here we are again, back to the drawing board. It is time for Bimbra Hardtop V2.0 and we feel that there is no better way to start than take suggestions from fellow members. We are constantly working towards developing new products and improving upon existing. For 2014, we are aiming to launch the Removable FRP Half Cabin For Gypsy and Thar Bimbra Hardtop V2.0. I plan to keep posting updates regarding the same and would request all members to please share ideas regarding shape and features they would like to see. I cannot guarantee we will implement all of them but they will be taken into consideration when developing the final product. Please note that our first priority is it being practical, removable followed by design and shape. We want to ensure that there is minimum rattling even if it is used for extensive off-road purpose and no water leakage. Also we don't want to alter the vehicle in any way such as cutting the B-Pillar. Looking forward to great ideas.

Thanks,
Taran Bimbra
Taran Bimbra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 17:09   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran Bimbra View Post
...back to the drawing board. It is time for Bimbra Hardtop V2.0 and we feel that there is no better way to start than take suggestions from fellow members. ...Thar Bimbra Hardtop V2.0. ...and would request all members to please share ideas regarding shape and features they would like to see. ...Please note that our first priority is it being practical, removable followed by design and shape. We want to ensure that there is minimum rattling even if it is used for extensive off-road purpose and no water leakage. Also we don't want to alter the vehicle in any way such as cutting the B-Pillar. Looking forward to great ideas.

Thanks,
Taran Bimbra
Taran...if I were you, I would make a metal version of the Italian Hard-top - for three reasons:

1. To use BD's words, the shape is time-less, just like the MM 540. In my opinion, the Italian hard-top is by far the most appealing design - looks like a Wrangler from many angles.
2. Sheet metal would be less prone to damage due to impact - I use my Jeep with utmost care because ANY damage will render the entire hard top useless.

Unlike the Hyderabad hard-top which has replaceable panels, the Italian hard-top is just made of two pieces, the front fixed portion attached to the targa band and the body sides, and the rear portion which literally sits on the front half.

3. If the hard top is made of sheet-metal, the 'removable' part can actually be removed and kept aside as required, which is highly risky with FRP (unless one has safe storage space)!

To reduce rattling, the targa band needs to be braced at all possible points; believe me - the effort I have put in to make the structure rigid - has to be seen to be believed!

Last but not the least, you will be able to design, fabricate and sell the hard top at 1/3 the cost of an italian hard top!

Cheers!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 11th March 2014 at 17:13.
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 17:33   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Taran...if I were you, I would make a metal version of the Italian Hard-top - for three reasons:

1. To use BD's words, the shape is time-less, just like the MM 540. In my opinion, the Italian hard-top is by far the most appealing design - looks like a Wrangler from many angles.
2. Sheet metal would be less prone to damage due to impact - I use my Jeep with utmost care because ANY damage will render the entire hard top useless.

Unlike the Hyderabad hard-top which has replaceable panels, the Italian hard-top is just made of two pieces, the front fixed portion attached to the targa band and the body sides, and the rear portion which literally sits on the front half.

3. If the hard top is made of sheet-metal, the 'removable' part can actually be removed and kept aside as required, which is highly risky with FRP (unless one has safe storage space)!

To reduce rattling, the targa band needs to be braced at all possible points; believe me - the effort I have put in to make the structure rigid - has to be seen to be believed!

Last but not the least, you will be able to design, fabricate and sell the hard top at 1/3 the cost of an italian hard top!

Cheers!
No doubt the italian HT is the most appealing design out of the lot and we will focus on not replicating (we believe in originality) but making it similar to it in terms of dimensions and curves. You are correct that sheet metal is less prone to damage due to impact but FRP and Metal both have their pros and cons like Rusting is not an issue with FRP etc. therefore we give option for both and will continue to do so.
Old 11th March 2014, 17:38   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran Bimbra View Post
I would like to Thank ...
Thanks,
Taran Bimbra
Hi Taran,

I always liked your product for its VFM and ruggedness, they might not best in design but they are practical. Additionally you are very humble guy, we had chat on phone twice and you were very patient in explaining my all queries. However the main concern is of transporting your product across which always kept me off, I tried to get a rear seat for my Thar and then tried to transport the HT to Pune as travelling and staying there for 2 days cost was on higher side but that didn't happened either because of cost or your time constraint.

Please do something in this area so that we get your product installed here in MH. I always say that North guys are blessed with full of option for after market add-on for Thar.

Also as said by @cpbopanna Italian replica will be gr8 option but I know that will not happen in sheet metal as you described last time that when its sheet metal job it will not be bolt on and vehicle need to be there for long time.

Waiting for your positive response.

Thanks,
Vishal
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 23:18   #178
BANNED

Hi Taran, I think the profile of the new hardtop has to be as low as possible and flush with traga band. So you don't have much of a choice to play around. The best as already suggested is the Italian hardtop. But if you can design something lower than the B pillar then it'll look good but the practicality is compromised. So better to stick around the standard proven formula of the italian hardtop.
Drlmtukkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 11:27   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Hi Taran,

I always liked your product for its VFM and ruggedness, they might not best in design but they are practical. Additionally you are very humble guy, we had chat on phone twice and you were very patient in explaining my all queries. However the main concern is of transporting your product across which always kept me off, I tried to get a rear seat for my Thar and then tried to transport the HT to Pune as travelling and staying there for 2 days cost was on higher side but that didn't happened either because of cost or your time constraint.

Please do something in this area so that we get your product installed here in MH. I always say that North guys are blessed with full of option for after market add-on for Thar.

Also as said by @cpbopanna Italian replica will be gr8 option but I know that will not happen in sheet metal as you described last time that when its sheet metal job it will not be bolt on and vehicle need to be there for long time.

Waiting for your positive response.

Thanks,
Vishal
Thank you for the kind words sir. One of my major focus this time around will be to increase the production followed by packaging and transportation of the HT because till date most of our customers have been from North but truth be told we receive higher number of queries from South.
Old 13th March 2014, 17:35   #180
BANNED

Hi taran please let me know where I can send you drawings as I sm not able to upload them on the forum right now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks