Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2011, 00:38   #1426
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family

Behram, the official Jeep mechanic of Udupi offroad team a very senior mechanic who is generally considered the best in the whole district. He can handle anything from Amby/Jeep to modern MPFI/CRDi cars. So we can't exactly go around telling him how to do his job, especially routine stuff like how to change brake liners or axle bearings. We may not get an appointment next time.

Since I couldn't explain the solenoid stuff correctly to the mechanic, I asked Sachin to read this thread yesterday and explain it to him. After all, we share the same mechanic. Then they turned around and talked to the auto electrician, and this is the result. They haven't changed the original solenoid saying it is in perfect condition. But they have added another TVS Lucas solenoid as shown below.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-pc011350.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-pc011364.jpg

The original solenoid:

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-pc011353.jpg

The problem was with the starter. It was water damage. The water must have entered in the Somwarpet OTR. After that I just parked the Jeep without a battery for 3 months. So the brushes had got stuck or jammed. So the starter motor was fully serviced and back to life.

All brake liners were replaced, one brake cylinder was replaced, and 3 axle bearings replaced.

Here is the diff breather pics I promised:

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-pc011362.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-pc011365.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-pc011356.jpg
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:44   #1427
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Behram, the official Jeep mechanic of Udupi offroad team a very senior mechanic === So we can't exactly go around telling him how to do his job, especially routine stuff like how to change brake liners or axle bearings. We may not get an appointment next time.
So true , actually the ground reality

Quote:
== I asked Sachin to read this thread yesterday and explain it to him. After all, we share the same mechanic. Then they turned around and talked to the auto electrician, and this is the result.
My frank opinion ( no one asked me for it BUT ) though its late --,as I was actually waiting for Sir's diagram --- but you did it before that .

I feel this whole exercise is Unnecessary

Reasons
1) this is just like adding the headlight relay to the circuit , now the question is does the amount of current ( of actuating starter solenoid ) actually affect the main switch life ??
Answer is may be in a Longer ( really Longer run ) , but my experience tells otherwise , good quality main switches have really long life .

2) Why didnt the MM add this thing as OE fitting ?? if its ( doing without one ) a problem at first place ??

3) you have actually added one more solenoid to worry about ,

4) Is this thing as water resistant as the starter solenoid ? expect some problems .

3) In case of main switch failure ,you can always use a temporary bypass wire to actuate the starter .

Though this is a highly recommendable idea for the Heater circuit , that effectively enhances main switch life . I have encountered it & fitted a manual heavy-duty push button switch for that ( Similar can be done here also

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:30   #1428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
We may not get an appointment next time.
So true...!!

Quote:
...Then they turned around and talked to the auto electrician, and this is the result.
Damn - you guys are fast..!! looks clean. I have a question. If solenoid and water are so unfriendly - can the solenoid of the starter motor be removed and kept in the higher place like the 2nd one in samu's jeep now? Should the solenoid always be sitting on top of the starter motor or can it be divorced using a longer wire or something like that...

See the rear breather in your jeep - it is not like the front diff (which has one on the head) - this rear OE breather is effective only in SFRA or actually where there is NO inner oil seal (diff side) - now in FFRA mods, we need a inner seal and this breather is ineffective/useless for the diff!! What Arka spoke of is this idea (the pic is OE, i need to fabricate one for my rear diff ASAP!)

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-1.jpg

Arka - last 1 year I dont have this diff-door breather but jeep still runs without leaks, etc. What is the problem if I dont have a breather? Honest question.

Last edited by svsantosh : 2nd December 2011 at 13:33.
Old 2nd December 2011, 15:56   #1429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Arka - last 1 year I dont have this diff-door breather but jeep still runs without leaks, etc. What is the problem if I dont have a breather? Honest question.
No problem - You can still do water fording and get away with it - If your vehicle [read diff] is submerged in water and stays for more than 30 mins or so, you "MAY" have water enter the differential - In case of that rare occurrence, change the diff oil at end of OTR, or immediately thereafter!!

Unless you wanna do long water crossings, you dont require the breather!!
Old 2nd December 2011, 23:56   #1430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Damn - you guys are fast..!! looks clean. I have a question. If solenoid and water are so unfriendly - can the solenoid of the starter motor be removed and kept in the higher place like the 2nd one in samu's jeep now? Should the solenoid always be sitting on top of the starter motor or can it be divorced using a longer wire or something like that...

No. Does both mechanical and electrical work.

@ headers- Don't agree. Diff running hot. Dunk in cold water. The contracting air will suck in whatever is covering the vent, air or water.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 3rd December 2011, 06:54   #1431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
@ headers- Don't agree. Diff running hot. Dunk in cold water. The contracting air will suck in whatever is covering the vent, air or water.

Regards
Sutripta
True, but what is the flow rate of water thru a 6mm id of the vent? Again, if the vehicle is moving, water has very slim chances to enter the diff.

Again, why is it called a breather hole - Does it exhale

EDIT: What you say is true is the vehicle is dumped in water and stationary
Old 3rd December 2011, 07:56   #1432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
No problem - You can still do water fording and get away with it - If your vehicle [read diff] is submerged in water and stays for more than 30 mins or so, you "MAY" have water enter the differential - In case of that rare occurrence, change the diff oil at end of OTR, or immediately thereafter
Vikram,

Thx for ^, but my ques was more specific to the case of a practically SEALED diff as in my case. Oil seal on both sides - no vent for churning air/gas pressure to come out, no breather on the head of the diff/dorr - then - 'what will happen'.

Theoretically, water should not enter my diff because of the oil seals, right? And thoe' water should stay in between my outer and inner oil seal, right?

So can I just leave it like that, or am I risking a high blood pressure (Oil press) inside my diff and busting a oil seal or diff door packing?

Arka- ?

Last edited by svsantosh : 3rd December 2011 at 07:59.
Old 3rd December 2011, 10:22   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Breather

Quote:
Hi Santosh,

The Breather in the Diffs/Gearbox/T-Case is to allow the hot gasses/air to escape from the gearbox.

If they are not allowed to vent, then on cooling down they condense and form water droplets, which contaminate the oil and reduce lubrication.

Sealing a breather is not a solution, raising it is.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 16:39   #1434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Why didnt the MM add this thing as OE fitting if its (doing without one) a problem at first place?
Dear Sudarshan - you know how it goes, why do you even bother to ask? Anyways, thanks a lot for making me laugh, I cannot stop laughing now. HaHaHa. .

Dear Sharath - the relay used is correct. From the photograph, I cannot understand the circuit as I cannot see where the wires are connected but I guess that the technician would have done a good job. I hope the connectors are soldered properly, each and every connector must be individually soldered, taped and then assembled. The photograph of the main starter solenoid still indicates haphazardly taped battery positive terminal. I can actually see the loosely soldered joint. If you remove the tape, it will be dirty also which is not good from electrical point of view. Please refer my comments on battery terminal care mentioned somewhere in this thread itself and get them corrected, otherwise your electrical system will not get good reliability and you will get into the same problem again.

I know that whatever I have mentioned is easier said than done but that's how I do all my cars. It's a tedious process. By telling somebody, it will just not get done, I have to actually do it myself or ensure that it is done in front of my eyes exactly as I want it. There is no other way.

For starter motor, as you said there was water inside, it can something as simple as no cover on the periphery where the brushes meet the commutator. I can show you umpteen technicians who think nothing when they don't assemble this part on the starter motor. Why they don't do it? Don't ask. I have stopped asking them. I have seen guys put cigarette paper there also. Please be careful. This is what you learn when you actually work with your own hands in dilapidated garages. I guess I am fortunate to know these things.

Brake cylinders and wheel bearings must be replaced in pairs.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 3rd December 2011 at 16:49. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 21:30   #1435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
True, but what is the flow rate of water thru a 6mm id of the vent? Again, if the vehicle is moving, water has very slim chances to enter the diff.
Make a 6 mm hole in any fluid carrying line, and let me know the results!

Again, why is it called a breather hole - Does it exhale
Exhales and inhales.
Regards
Sutripta
Old 4th December 2011, 10:16   #1436
Senior - BHPian

@Sutripta:

The results are self explanatory
Old 5th July 2012, 21:34   #1437
Team-BHP Support

This thread has been quiet since 7 months, that is because I don't post unless I have something to post.

Anyway, now that my favourite offroad season (monsoon) is upon us, I am putting the CJ340 though the paces, driving it everyday, doing some small offroad stuff. In the last few months, sometimes I have not touched the Jeep in 2-3 months. But every time it has started at first crank. But the week before the event, I might get it serviced once.

Sometimes people ask me, why do I have two 4WD vehicles. Ideally, this is what I want to tell them (but never do).

Consider this photograph, the white building at the far end is my office. Do you see what lies between?

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7050613.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7050615.jpg

These switchbacks can be killers during heavy rains.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7050616.jpg

Only a 4WD can successfully conquer this trail on an everyday basis.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7050623.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7050621.jpg

PS: Hope you enjoyed this short fiction.
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 10:38   #1438
BHPian

Looking forward to the next Manipal TBHP meet and more 4WD demo, now that the offroad season is here!!
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:44   #1439
Team-BHP Support

In the last few months I have not made any new updates on this thread. That doesn't mean my CJ340 was idle during this monsoon. I attended 3 OTRs this monsoon, two of them in CJ340 and one in Thar CDRe from Mahindra Adventure team. There has been no technical issues at all despite the two OTRs, so I had nothing to discuss on this thread. One of the downside of having a very trouble-free Jeep.

But due to time constraint and some laziness, I haven't written the reports for them. In fact, my last 5 OTR reports are pending.

At Kodachadri OTR (Aug 19th 2012):

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p8190995.jpg

At Sakleshpur MGE (Aug 25th 2012):

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p8251161.jpg

Those of you who are familiar with my eternal quest for a family friendly offroader, know that I have been looking to upgrade to a hardtop MM550 for a long time. And that has finally happened, this Monday I took delivery of a 1997 MM550 with XD3P + KMT90 and Roplas hardtop. For more details, you'll have to await the new thread, so don't ask now. Within two weeks, I will be moving some of the goodies from the CJ340 to the MM550, notably the alloys, tyres, winch and diff guards. After that CJ340 will be put on sale. It was a hard decision for me, to give up something I have lovingly rebuilt from scratch, fixing every problem to the best possible extent since 4.5 years. But the 2 seater CJ340 is not practical for me, and I don't want to maintain two Jeeps. So it is time to say goodbye to my beloved CJ340.

MM550 waiting to be unveiled:

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-pb191405.jpg
Samurai is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:03   #1440
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new ride. Looking forward to a detailed report on the same.
It must really hard to let go of your CJ after all the time and effort you have spent on rebuilding it.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks