Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It works like a charm, why change it?
Quote:
No, that cable belongs to the fast idle knob,
Nope! Your fast idle is OE spec, the throttle lever is connected to a clutch cable mod. But as you said ^ if it works - leave it. But my emphasis was to learn how that juggad works and keep necessary spares in case...

Quote:
which doesn't work since the cable is too long. Someday I need to shorten that cable and make it work.
Now, if you want your fast idle to work, I can give a simple solution. Remove the cable - only the end part which goes into that 1MM coin hole - fill the extra gaps with 1 or 2 thick/thin washer combo (trail/error) and fix it back. It will work for sure!

-----------Edit--------

1) See where to fill with washers

2) I see one more clutch cable (cut/brazed into place) in your throttle system.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-img_20110828_135733.jpg

Last edited by svsantosh : 12th October 2011 at 14:37.
Old 12th October 2011, 14:28   #1352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
fill the extra gaps with 1 or 2 thick/thin washer combo (trail/error) and fix it back. It will work for sure!
Not really Santosh.
Spring is so hard that you just can't rotate the idler cable knob.
mohang_j is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 14:38   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
Not really Santosh.
Spring is so hard that you just can't rotate the idler cable knob.
Lets meet on nov5th... there is no way it wont work. Of course there are sooo many springs what we can put there to make it work!
Old 12th October 2011, 18:32   #1354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nope! Your fast idle is OE spec, the throttle lever is connected to a clutch cable mod. But as you said ^ if it works - leave it. But my emphasis was to learn how that juggad works and keep necessary spares in case...
The fast idle was added only last year during the rebuild. What is clutch cable mod? My accelerator cable is replaced by the link type.

Quote:
Now, if you want your fast idle to work, I can give a simple solution. Remove the cable - only the end part which goes into that 1MM coin hole - fill the extra gaps with 1 or 2 thick/thin washer combo (trail/error) and fix it back. It will work for sure!
Hmm, if the cable is too short, won't the fast idle knob just turn back when I let go? I think there should be enough friction in the cable system to oppose free unspooling of the fast idle knob. Just wondering.
Old 13th October 2011, 14:27   #1355
Senior - BHPian

^ Samu _ i will get back on the clutch cable thing in a few weeks time, AFAIK that final connector looks like a clutch cable and all peugeot engine jeeps came with only a cable accel wire.

Regd the Fast Idle - your cable is just OK. It is the throttle lever that is not in OE position - dont ask why, I dont know, all old' jeeps have their positions slightly pulled inwards - though the idling is just perfect. To compensate for the extra gap between the fast-idle-round bush (which pushes the accel lever) - I suggested using a few washers to compensate for the slack. I will try this also on my jeep (or mohans) then recomend for sure...
Old 28th October 2011, 21:00   #1356

Hi,
Can anyone post pics of the silencer position in cj340.

I have bought a muffler of mm540.hope it fits without spoiling the GC

Samurai, it would be great if you post the pics

Thanks,
Satish
Old 15th November 2011, 11:23   #1357
BHPian

My my my...

Took a day to go through this thread and what an amazing technical information available on this thread.

IMO, this is the best thread to have a basic information about the JEEPs and have a strong foundation about them.

I have been bitten by the JEEP bug, and searching for one from a month, but it did really help for a beginner like me.

Thanks a lot Samurai for starting this and the rest in trying to answer them!!! KUDOS...

Cheers,
Rashith
Old 15th November 2011, 12:36   #1358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish.rpr View Post
Hi, Can anyone post pics of the silencer position in cj340. I have bought a muffler of mm540.hope it fits without spoiling the GC. Samurai, it would be great if you post the pics. Thanks,
Satish
Dear Satish.rpr - the position of the muffler in the original CL340DP BOM (Bill of Material) is in two positions, either it is behind the rear axle, mounted perpendicular to the car center line or it is in front of the rear axle mounted on the LH side of the car parallel to the car center line. It depends on vehicle dress level because there are two CL340s, one with floor mounted type brake / clutch pedals, the other with suspended type brake / clutch pedals. MM540 muffler is not packageable in any CL340 chassis by layout. This is engineering information. For one vehicle, you may be able to somehow fit the MM540 muffler. Please be careful to use resilient mounts to take care of NVH issues.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 00:53   #1359
Team-BHP Support

Today I had to give the Grand Vitara for service, will be getting the vehicle only tomorrow. That presented a problem. What is my backup ride until then? Yes, I can borrow my F-I-L's brand new (mostly unused) Honda City Vtec, but then I have been waiting for a premise to replace the battery on my Jeep.

Since Amaron doesn't want their harvester battery to be installed on Jeep (they apparently refuse warranty), I had to look at something else. For the Somwarpet OTR I had borrowed Sachin's battery, and that had performed rather well. So I decided to go for that.

I bought the SF Sonic Jumbo 75AH battery. Their 88Ah was too big to fit in my Jeep. It will foul with the steering push-rod.

SF SONIC : SF Sonic Products : SF Jumbo

After dropping the GV at the Maruti service in Udupi, I went to Sachin's work place. Our usual mechanic showed up with the battery. He was hoping to plonk into my Jeep right there. I reminded him that he already has my defunct battery and there was no way I could have brought the Jeep without the battery.

So he decided to come all the way to Manipal with the battery, as a result I too got a free drop back to office. Apparently they have to install the battery themselves before releasing the warranty card.

After the battery was installed, he checked the engine oil before asking me to start the Jeep. After all, it has been 2.5 months since the battery was removed. The oil was slightly less, need to top that up soon.

The Jeep didn't start at once, the starter clicked couple of times before starting. It happened later too. Looks like battery is not fully charged. So I am wondering, it is normal for a new battery to have less than full charge? Should I connect the battery to the external charger tomorrow?

But, it is great to be driving the Jeep again. It never fails put a smile on my face.
Old 24th November 2011, 10:56   #1360
Team-BHP Support

Man, this is getting seriously bad. Today morning, it took 5-6 cranks to start from home. But it started in one crack at my in-laws place after breakfast. Then came the crunch.

On a whim I decided to fill some diesel on the way to office. After that I tried to start, it just clicked and nothing else. Tried about 20 more times before I realised I am out of luck. It was time to push start. The good thing about SWB is that I can singlehandedly push it.

I pushed it hard on level surface and jumped back on the seat. The first attempt at jerk start only stalled it. Got out again and started pushing. The road towards my office is a slope right after the petrol bunk. So that was a relief. However, the scary part was I had to push the unmanned Jeep into the slope with the steering turned. And this is a rather busy road in the morning. But I have done enough jumping in and out of moving Jeep, so I wasn't too worried, except for traffic.

I waited out for a lull in the traffic, quickly pushed and turned the Jeep into the slope. Once it started moving, I quickly jumped into it. Now I jerk started only after getting some decent momentum. It started cleanly this time.

Never had this experience right after buying a new battery. Can't say I am smiling now.
Old 24th November 2011, 11:40   #1361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Man, this is getting seriously bad. Today morning, it took 5-6 cranks to start from home. But it started in one crack at my in-laws place after breakfast. Then came the crunch.

On a whim I decided to fill some diesel on the way to office. After that I tried to start, it just clicked and nothing else. Tried about 20 more times before I realised I am out of luck. It was time to push start. The good thing about SWB is that I can singlehandedly push it.

I pushed it hard on level surface and jumped back on the seat. The first attempt at jerk start only stalled it. Got out again and started pushing. The road towards my office is a slope right after the petrol bunk. So that was a relief. However, the scary part was I had to push the unmanned Jeep into the slope with the steering turned. And this is a rather busy road in the morning. But I have done enough jumping in and out of moving Jeep, so I wasn't too worried, except for traffic.

I waited out for a lull in the traffic, quickly pushed and turned the Jeep into the slope. Once it started moving, I quickly jumped into it. Now I jerk started only after getting some decent momentum. It started cleanly this time.

Never had this experience right after buying a new battery. Can't say I am smiling now.
Did the engine crank properly at normal speed, if not then
. Either the new battery is bad,
else
. Charging circuit is not optimum
. Starter motor needs attention
. Starting Cable is not tight enough.
If the engine cranked properly, then
. Air in the diesel line
Old 24th November 2011, 12:36   #1362
Team-BHP Support

Nothing wrong with the Engine or Fuel lines. Once the Jeep starts, everything works fine.

This is either the battery or the starter motor. Currently I am charging engine using the charger. If the problem persists after an hour, then it must be the starter motor. Don't think it can be the charging circuit, the battery has had no chance to drain yet. Battery should have lasted at least a day without any charging.

The green ring can be seen in the indicator. So battery may be OK here. I am leaning towards start motor being the culprit since the Jeep was unused in 2.5 months.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-img_20111124_114215.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 24th November 2011 at 12:39.
Old 24th November 2011, 13:10   #1363
BHPian

Hi Sharath,

I can relate this same problem to me once it happened sometime back. THen it was the starter motor that was the culprit. But at that time I made sure that I had the electrician check my alternator for charging back the battery on the run for safety reasons.

Anyways the jeep that i had was one which i picked up from Jammy and now sold it off :-( but waiting for the Thar to be delivered sometime next month :-)

cheers
Old 24th November 2011, 13:15   #1364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is either the battery or the starter motor.
The starter motor solenoid has kaput - change it !

IMO. Battery weak will show signs of slow rotation of the starter motor while cranking.. and if the charging circuit is ok even a 10 min drive is enough to start 5 times or so!!

Last edited by headers : 24th November 2011 at 13:16.
Old 24th November 2011, 13:17   #1365
Distinguished - BHPian

@Samurai : Its a Jeep thing.

Looks like the carbon bushes / commutator ring in the stater are failing to make sufficient contact. This used to be problem in old Amby's

Another thing that used to be often the problem was the solenoid feeding current to starter motor would get carbonized.

As I said in the start its a Jeep thing that you become a master of many "technologies" while owning one.

Most Viewed