Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2011, 11:56   #1321
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family

It takes a healthy battery, or two, to crank a diesel enough to fire up. The high compression diesel motor needs a good slug of juice to start versus a petrol motor.

I found this out after leaving my newish diesel in an airport parking lot for several North American winter days. I had left the glove box door ajar and its interior courtesy light stayed on for days draining my batteries. When I cranked the starter it seemed to turn the motor at a pretty good rpm but it did not catch. It took TWO simultaneous jumps from two pickup trucks to get it started. The next day I tested my batteries, fearing the worst, but both were good.

Diesels like juice.

By the way, there are batteries called deep cycle batteries that are specially made to be discharged to zero amps. Normal auto batteries do not fare well under repeated discharge to low power by such things as winches. Deep cycle batteries are often used on small boats where they are recharged by inverter at dockside. Using an auto battery to do this greatly shortens their life. I don't know the exact reasons for this.

You can run and charge two batteries in your jeep, one a normal auto battery and one a deep cycle battery and keep their discharge on separate circuits so as to not discharge the auto battery by a thing called an isolator.

Try Aishwarya Rai at Winch Wench Inc. or google it for your nearest dealer.
DirtyDan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 12:33   #1322
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
It takes a healthy battery, or two, to crank a diesel enough to fire up.==

==Diesels like juice.
Very Very true

Quote:
By the way, there are batteries called deep cycle batteries that are specially made to be discharged to zero amps. Normal auto batteries do not fare well under repeated discharge to low power by such things as winches. Deep cycle batteries are often used on small boats where they are recharged by inverter at dockside. Using an auto battery to do this greatly shortens their life. I don't know the exact reasons for this.
That's why I have put two deep cycle batteries in My Landy please check this thread >> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...inch-test.html
posts # 34,55,60 & 61 ( higher rating alt )

Quote:
You can run and charge two batteries in your jeep, one a normal auto battery and one a deep cycle battery and keep their discharge on separate circuits so as to not discharge the auto battery by a thing called an isolator.
most logical

Quote:
Try Aishwarya Rai at Winch Wench Inc. or google it for your nearest dealer.
This went over my head whats Mrs . Bachhan doing there

Sudarshan
Old 5th August 2011, 13:05   #1323
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks Arka, I have added the right names to the images. I guess I have the Excello with UJ. And you have suggested to me to go for Rane RCBT with Bell-Crank. Hope I got that right.
I am all set to replace my steering box. Does or Arka or anybody have the part number of Rane RCBT steering box with Bellcrank?

But I want to understand what is it I already have. The current steering box doesn't match the photo of Excello with UJ.

This is what I have now, can anyone identify the exact make?

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-img_20110805_123307.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-img_20110805_123319.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-img_20110805_123355.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-img_20110805_123407.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-img_20110805_123422.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-img_20110805_123445.jpg
Old 5th August 2011, 16:50   #1324
Team-BHP Support

I also met Sudhir Kashyap after lunch as he was visiting Manipal. He was saying why don't I consider Koyo power steering unit. Somehow I never thought about PS for my Jeep. How does it behave offroad, and how does it behave on-road at higher speeds? Sudhirji said the steering becomes harder at higher speed, which is the right behavior, or else it will be dangerous.

What is the feedback from people who have installed Koyo PS unit?
Old 5th August 2011, 18:56   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also met Sudhir Kashyap after lunch as he was visiting Manipal. He was saying why don't I consider Koyo power steering unit. Somehow I never thought about PS for my Jeep. How does it behave offroad, and how does it behave on-road at higher speeds? Sudhirji said the steering becomes harder at higher speed, which is the right behavior, or else it will be dangerous.

What is the feedback from people who have installed Koyo PS unit?
Hi Sharath,

Koyo is a Mayapuri special PS conversion.

If you want to do it right.
1) 51" OKBJ with 140pcd on a non Disk Brake Knuckle.
2) M&M PS RCBT (From Bolero/Maxx)

The PS unit is mounted behind the front bumper and when "PROPERLY" done is invisible and very rugged.

Regards,

Arka
Old 5th August 2011, 19:29   #1326
Team-BHP Support

No, I have not really decided on PS. Won't the M&M PS RCBT interfere with Winch?

First I want to fully explore the RCBT with bell-crank or Mahindra Major steering system. I am still looking forward to the details on that. Has anyone installed the Major steering system in the CJ340 or any SWB?
Old 5th August 2011, 19:39   #1327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, I have not really decided on PS. Won't the M&M PS RCBT interfere with Winch?

First I want to fully explore the RCBT with bell-crank or Mahindra Major steering system. I am still looking forward to the details on that. Has anyone installed the Major steering system in the CJ340 or any SWB?
Hi Sharath,

The Bell Crank Type has 7 TREs; the more direct MRCBT/PS RCBT has 4 TRE, this improves steering feedback and reduces slack in the steering system.

The real catch is it works best with the OKBJ (35degree Knuckle).

The Major's Steering system is a more upgraded version of the CJ3B's original Steering, improving on the following
i) bush type Bell-Crank instead of Bearing Type
ii) UJ Type Steering Rod
iii) OKBJ
iv) IIRC non-greasable TRE

Regards,

Arka

PS - Rajith can you please post detailed pics of your steering system on you Major thread.
Old 6th August 2011, 22:01   #1328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is how we measured the current.

Attachment 584913
Hi,
Joining the party late.

Just wanted to say that you cannot measure charging current that way. The meter used is a 'tong tester' and cannot measure DC. For that you need a Hall effect type.

Get a float or trickle charger for your inactive cars. Or a better quality 3 step charger for general use.

Hope your electrical problems are sorted out.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 24th August 2011, 11:55   #1329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Just wanted to say that you cannot measure charging current that way. The meter used is a 'tong tester' and cannot measure DC. For that you need a Hall effect type.
Oops, didn't realise that.

Quote:
Get a float or trickle charger for your inactive cars. Or a better quality 3 step charger for general use.
Will look for it.

Quote:
Hope your electrical problems are sorted out.
It is just battery problem, there is no electrical problem otherwise, I think.

Anyway, 20 days later I am down with the same problem. Unable to crank, had to get it push started. Even 4 hours of charging was not enough to make the battery crank worthy. And I have an OTR to attend this weekend. Planning to borrow the battery for this event from Sachin's MM550 which is undergoing yet another heart operation.
Old 24th August 2011, 12:42   #1330
Distinguished - BHPian

Tried this? How to Find a Parasitic Battery Drain - wikiHow.
Old 24th August 2011, 22:05   #1331
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Commonsense stuff. Only point of caution:- More often than not, in multimeters I've seen that the fuse in the Amps circuit is blown. And the meter will then happily show no drain.

One should first check whether the meter actually works or not.

One often missed leakage source is the (conductive) crud round the battery terminal touching the holddown clamp.

A CJ has no electronics which has to be kept live. I think the battery has had it.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 24th August 2011, 23:04   #1332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A CJ has no electronics which has to be kept live. I think the battery has had it.
True, most cells are showing around 1.12 value. It lasted 2.5 years with erratic usage pattern, many winching operations, etc. It lasted few months after warranty (unlike excide), so I can live with that.

Today I gave the Jeep for service and a small list of fixes. Had noticed a small play in the steering again. Turns out the play is in the steering box itself. Don't think I can put off the steering system mod for too long.
Old 25th August 2011, 03:27   #1333
Senior - BHPian

One option is to buy a much bigger, nastier battery AND battery box and install both. I seem to remember a post or thread by GTO about using tractor batteries...don't remember where that is.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 25th August 2011 at 03:30.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:06   #1334
BHPian

I have Amaron Harvestor batteries which are used in tractors and is quite good till now . Do you believe that they refused to give me the battery and told me that the warranty will not hold if i use it on a Jeep . What crap? . I anyway had a heated argument with them and got it and installed . Till now no problem for that last 2 years .
Old 25th August 2011, 14:49   #1335
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I seem to remember a post or thread by GTO about using tractor batteries...don't remember where that is.
Here is the thread and it was me who recommended the tractor battery to him.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...carefully.html (Offroaders - Choose your 4x4 battery carefully)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baburajs View Post
I have Amaron Harvestor batteries which are used in tractors and is quite good till now . Do you believe that they refused to give me the battery and told me that the warranty will not hold if i use it on a Jeep . What crap? . I anyway had a heated argument with them and got it and installed . Till now no problem for that last 2 years .
Yes, I have the same 90AH Amaron Harvestor battery, it lasted 2.5 years. Would have lasted much more if I was staying in Manipal all the time.

Most Viewed