Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2009, 10:13   #571
BHPian

Those bolts are for the oil seal. They will not affect wheel wobble.
Jack up the front end and check for play in the front wheel about the vertical and horizontal axes.
Play about the horizontal axis will mean that either your wheel bearings or king pin bearings are loose.
Play about the vertical axis will indicate either loose wheel bearings or steering ball joints.
Old 13th March 2009, 17:21   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
Those bolts are for the oil seal. They will not affect wheel wobble.
Difficult to believe, but it does affect the wheel wobble. A slightly high running clearance, which normally happens over a period in the ball joint is good enough to give a wheel wobble. A tightly clamped seal, apart from sealing, will act as a damper and minimise the wobble.
Suresh

Last edited by Samurai : 13th March 2009 at 19:58. Reason: fixed the quote
Old 13th March 2009, 20:00   #573
Team-BHP Support

The death wobble happens only on a stretch of patchy road at around 50kmph. I don't think I have any wheel wobble problem on good roads.
Old 13th March 2009, 20:21   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The death wobble happens only on a stretch of patchy road at around 50kmph. I don't think I have any wheel wobble problem on good roads.
Exactly!!!! That's what is Death Wobble is all about. There are another kind of wobble which comes after you cross 60+ in highways. That is due to wheel alignment. One more thing you need to keep in mind is, when you tight the knuckle bolts, the wheel will come inside if your knuckle kit is badly worn out. coz there will be a gap at the place of worn out knuckle kit. Afetr tighting it check, if the tyres are rubbing against the leaf springs. If that happens, the immediate next step is to change the knuckle kit.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 13th March 2009, 23:07   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Stephen View Post
Difficult to believe, but it does affect the wheel wobble. A slightly high running clearance, which normally happens over a period in the ball joint is good enough to give a wheel wobble. A tightly clamped seal, apart from sealing, will act as a damper and minimise the wobble.
Suresh
Sreerajunnithan and Suresh are right about tightening those bolts to reduce\fix wheel wobble. Tightening these bolts on both sides of my steering knuckles reduced my wobble by almost 80%.

Ofcourse, this is only one of the things to check. Alfakilo and others have already mentioned the other parts - wheel bearings, kingpin bearings and steering ball joints to name a few.

ps: The picture shown is of Sreeraj tightening the bolts on my Willys at the recent OTR.
Old 14th March 2009, 00:13   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Suresh
The oil seal has nothing to do with wheel wobble. Fiddling with those screws will result in slipped threads and a crushed felt seal.
Old 14th March 2009, 00:28   #577
Senior - BHPian

Samurai,

The 340 just keeps evolving eh? Lovely looking winch.

Behram Dhabhar's advice does not fall on deaf ears

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...tml#post861433

As for the wobble I saw something about a stabilizer (shock absorber like..) which reduces wobble. searching for that thread/post

Next on cards? Shoes for Muddy waters?
Old 14th March 2009, 05:14   #578
Senior - BHPian

a little OT
can someone plese point me out in the direction of what a death wobble actually is???
Old 14th March 2009, 07:37   #579
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
a little OT
can someone plese point me out in the direction of what a death wobble actually is???
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...th-wobble.html (The infamous Death Wobble)
Old 14th March 2009, 14:02   #580
BHPian

Quote:
The oil seal has nothing to do with wheel wobble. Fiddling with those screws will result in slipped threads and a crushed felt seal.
Dear Alfa Kilo
Fiddling with screws can spoil the threads. I was talking about tightening them properly. Iam a professional engineer with more than 25 years of hand on experience and I do not suggest something in a forum like this which Iam not sure of and it was based on my practical experience I suggested that and Iam sure that ithis is one of the many reasons for a wheel wobble Sreeraj and Anand(MM440) will vouch for it. So please do not brush aside just by "feelings"unless it is backed with practical experience
Suresh
Old 14th March 2009, 19:46   #581
Team-BHP Support

I finally decided to do the body work which I had postponed so long. That is because today I was put in touch with a very good bodywork shop owned by a highly skilled mechanic. This guy can drive the vehicle once and list out all the issues. When he saw the steering move up and down, he just said the steering column bush is loose.

They were able to identify lots of issues in the body work and have given me a very decent quote. I am planning to get it done pretty soon.

BTW, I upgraded to Amaron Harvest 90AH battery today, got 600 bucks for the old one.
Old 15th March 2009, 00:17   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Suresh
Which ball joint are you talking about? The only ball joints present are those found in the steering linkages and tie rod. The damping provided by even a new seal is not enought to supress wobble.

Quote:
Dear Alfa Kilo
Fiddling with screws can spoil the threads. I was talking about tightening them properly. Iam a professional engineer with more than 25 years of hand on experience and I do not suggest something in a forum like this which Iam not sure of and it was based on my practical experience I suggested that and Iam sure that ithis is one of the many reasons for a wheel wobble Sreeraj and Anand(MM440) will vouch for it. So please do not brush aside just by "feelings"unless it is backed with practical experience
Suresh
Well, I don't have 25 million years of experience, but I can say that one cures wheel wobble by adjusting/replacing king pin bearings amongst other things. KP oil seals do not affect wheel wobble. It is always better to fix the problem rather than supressing its symptoms by adding dampers etc.
Old 15th March 2009, 15:02   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Maybe just the brace is loose?
Quote:
Chances of a vertical play in the steering rod creating a wobble is remote.
Suresh
Suresh, the burden of genius such as ours is that nobody ever listens to us. Welcome to the freak show.
Old 15th March 2009, 18:33   #584
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Suresh, the burden of genius such as ours is that nobody ever listens to us. Welcome to the freak show.
Hey, I don't know how to check for the problem myself. I'll have to depend on the local mechanics. And most mechanics don't appreciate being told how to fix a problem or how to look for one.
Old 15th March 2009, 20:00   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Which ball joint are you talking about? The only ball joints present are those found in the steering linkages and tie rod. The damping provided by even a new seal is not enought to supress wobble.

Well, I don't have 25 million years of experience, but I can say that one cures wheel wobble by adjusting/replacing king pin bearings amongst other things. KP oil seals do not affect wheel wobble. It is always better to fix the problem rather than supressing its symptoms by adding dampers etc.
Dear Alfa Kilo,
The joint where we fix the felt seal is basically a Knuckle joint. I fully agree with you that faulty kin pin bearings are one of the main reasons for a wheel wobble and if it is damaged or any other joint in the steering linakge is damaged/worn out including the steering box, tightening the seal will not cure the problem. But if everything else is in order, this will normally be the culprit. Why don't you loosen the felt seal bolts in your jeep and try out the effect?. Iam in agreement with you on the fact that it is good to fix the problem rather than supressing its symptoms by adding dampers etc.
Also Iam sure you will agree with me that it is practically difficult to have 25 million years of experience in a human life
regards
Suresh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks