Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2009, 13:37   #541
BHPian

Your snatch block is in process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yeah, the hunt for snatch block has began.
Old 21st February 2009, 03:50   #542
Senior - BHPian

Note the winch/bull guard below.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-winch-guard.jpg  

Last edited by DirtyDan : 21st February 2009 at 03:52.
Old 21st February 2009, 11:23   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sharath - the winch looks exactly like the ones Naresh Bhosle uses in the GEs. This is the correct winch for the CJ340. Please mount the controller inside the bonnet area but do not cjhange length of any cable. Also, do not position the hook on the chrome pipe as I can see in the photograph, use an attachment on the chassis, this pipe will bend otherwise and give a bad appearance. Now this is a true Jeep, the only thing you need now is the LSD.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 21st February 2009 at 11:24. Reason: add info
Old 21st February 2009, 11:33   #544
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sharath - the winch looks exactly like the ones Naresh Bhosle uses in the GEs.
Yes, it is the exact brand and make used by Naresh Bhosle.

Quote:
Please mount the controller inside the bonnet area but do not cjhange length of any cable. Also, do not position the hook on the chrome pipe as I can see in the photograph, use an attachment on the chassis, this pipe will bend otherwise and give a bad appearance.
Ok, will do that.
Quote:
Now this is a true Jeep, the only thing you need now is the LSD.
Hmm, that's interesting. Is LSD available for the stock CJ340 rear axle? I have 48 inch axle.
Old 21st February 2009, 11:40   #545
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice tool! If one were to compare the condition of your Jeep when you bought it last year, to what she is today, thats an offroader in continuous evolution! A purpose-built 4x4 in 9 months flat.

500 bucks says the winch gets flicked within 48 hours of being parked in Mumbai . Ferdi has a similar setup on his 340 and never parks the Jeep in an unsecured area. Plus, I am a little skeptical of adding another 60 kg to the front of the Classic, which already carries the weight of the engine, bull bar etc etc. Compare that to the rear which is practically feather light (even the fuel tank is right there in the middle)!
Old 22nd February 2009, 11:03   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is the exact brand and make used by Naresh Bhosle.

Ok, will do that.
Hmm, that's interesting. Is LSD available for the stock CJ340 rear axle? I have 48 inch axle.
Congrats on the winch Samurai. Yes LSD is available for CJ 340. Suresh has it.
He had an LSD when he came to Munnar.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 22nd February 2009, 11:13   #547
BHPian

This thread is a reference book for all CJ340 owners. Rated 5star :-)

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 22nd February 2009, 13:22   #548
BHPian

Did your side view mirrors come positioned up so high? or was it your choice? where do the fog lamps go now?
Old 22nd February 2009, 14:51   #549
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah, the hunt for snatch block has began.
If you do not consider it below your dignity, have a look at the hardware stores in and around the fish landing centers on the coast. The fishing boats (the mechanised ones - not the traditional crafts with outboard engines) make extensive use of blocks and tackles (they call them "pulleys"). There would be hands experienced in "splicing" wire ropes around the fish landing centers. You can buy some pieces of (new, good, and WITHOUT the "tar compound") wire rope from them, and make small pieces of 2 of 4 meters with spliced loops (to tie around trees) at both ends.

You may also buy simple "pulleys" (I am referring to the round discs with groove at ends) and get the casings fabricated from stainless steel. Again, the work shops around these area will be experienced in these things.

Be careful though - a wee bit of ignorance / fumbling / not knowing the language / not knowing what you want / show off can mean you will be ripped off.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 22nd February 2009 at 15:04.
Old 22nd February 2009, 17:32   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sharath - the winch looks exactly like the ones Naresh Bhosle uses in the GEs.
Looks like the surgical aparatus used to remove Asha Bhosle's gall bladder in 2002.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
Did your side view mirrors come positioned up so high?
Sharath, this has evolved into one nice ole buggy.

I suppose you get a clear look at the front wheel when you lean out the door for a look while off roading, mirrors mounted high like that. Where do you get mirrors and other auto spares online in India? What site do you trust, if any?
Old 22nd February 2009, 17:51   #551
rippergeo

Why does your jeep need a winch? I dont recall it ever needing assistance. Or is it to help the guys around you?
Looks like you're all set to go off on solo adventures now!
Congrats.

Old 22nd February 2009, 19:30   #552
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Congrats on the winch Samurai. Yes LSD is available for CJ 340. Suresh has it.
On a stock 48" axle? Got to check with him then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
Did your side view mirrors come positioned up so high? or was it your choice? where do the fog lamps go now?
As DirtyDan pointed out, it doesn't my view of the tyres. Now I need to find a new place for the fogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
If you do not consider it below your dignity, have a look at the hardware stores in and around the fish landing centers on the coast.
That's a strange comment to make, why is that a question of dignity? A snatch block should not be bought from a shady source. After all, it needs to handle twice the load rating of the winch, in my case I need a snatch block that can handle 16000lbs. Can the neighborhood fisheries hardware store guaranty the load rating? Is the cost saving worth it considering a snatch block failure can possible kill bystanders? In fact it might hit the Jeep like a missile in case of a straight pull. No, I prefer a reliable source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Where do you get mirrors and other auto spares online in India? What site do you trust, if any?
There are numerous automotive shops around my place, so I don't look online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Why does your jeep need a winch? I dont recall it ever needing assistance. Or is it to help the guys around you?
My luck can run out, that's why. Besides, GV has been stuck twice before.
Old 22nd February 2009, 19:58   #553
BANNED

Quote:
That's a strange comment to make, why is that a question of dignity? A snatch block should not be bought from a shady source. After all, it needs to handle twice the load rating of the winch, in my case I need a snatch block that can handle 16000lbs. Can the neighborhood fisheries hardware store guaranty the load rating? Is the cost saving worth it considering a snatch block failure can possible kill bystanders? In fact it might hit the Jeep like a missile in case of a straight pull. No, I prefer a reliable source.

Fishing stores are not "shady". The fishing vessels handle a few tonnes of loads in the net every time. The smallest winch they use is run off a power take from a 85 HP engine. Depending on size of the vessel, the engine, winch and power take off powers will go up from those levels. Obviously, the block and tackle they use will be built to stand those loads. They use wire ropes of the same kind I see on your winch. And those ropes usually are 100 Meters and above on the winch alone (plus some nylon rope - up to 20 M and another 20-50M fish net + a 1.5 M long heavy "otter" board, which generates heavy hydro dynamic pressure (like the life provided by aeroplane wings) to keep the net open.

NO - they will NOT guarantee the load rating. 16000 lbs translates to 7272 KG = 7.272 Tonnes. But a typical trawl "haul" is in the range of 10 tonnes. (I ought to know - my family used to have 5 of them about a decade back).

A typical "pulley" will be about 4 inch diameter, on a half inch diameter bolt, in a "casing" of mild steel. Depending on the skipper's improvisation scheme, we had to custom build the "casing" - hence my remark about workshops having the skill level to make a casing of your design. See this image :- (I do not intend to upload it - click on the link)

File:Tackles.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By "casing", I mean whatever should be on the thick black line along the diameter of the pulley, with or without the hooks.

And in the fishing industry, they join ropes using a "c" hook. The C, with the inner edges flattened and bent in very close, is permanently attached to ropes, and when you want to elongate a rope (or attach a net to the rope), you simply slot in the two "c"s. No way they come out.

And by the "dignity" thing - I mean, there is a difference between being able to say "I got it from US", or "I bought it from ebay" and "I got it from Malpe beach".

One caveat though - I really am not sure if the off roading winches will be used to "jerk" out, vehicles, rather than use smooth power. If "jerking" or sudden surges in power is involved, I may not recommend going the local "fishing store" way.

And another hint - the construction Industry uses still heavier loads. So asking the building contractors may be of assistance. Though not sure if such stores will exist in Udupi or surroundings. Mangalore will be a better bet.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 22nd February 2009 at 20:00.
Old 22nd February 2009, 22:18   #554
Team-BHP Support

If you offer advice in such a sarcastic manner, even good advice appears bitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
And by the "dignity" thing - I mean, there is a difference between being able to say "I got it from US", or "I bought it from ebay" and "I got it from Malpe beach".
So that's your problem, that I might get it from US, in that case, you can relax. A friend in Bangalore offered to make one for me, he has the background and skill make such an equipment. May be I'll ask him to hand it over at Malpe beach.
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:52   #555
BANNED

Quote:
If you offer advice in such a sarcastic manner, even good advice appears bitter.
I realise that some parts in my earlier post sounded sarcastic - I did not intend that way. I was getting a bit over defensive.

Apart from fishing, we used to have heavy vehicles, and since engines were common, I have found that sourcing engine part from the fishing centers were more cost effective, even for same brand (yes, genuine parts at that). And levels of improvisation (like in cooling system) and ability to customise particular components were much better in the fishing industry. And remember that in fishing industry, reliability was paramount. If you break down on the roads, you may (worst case) get robbed or starve. In sea, having a stalled engine is torture, especially if you are lonely. It may be a couple of days or weeks till rescue arrives. Radios and communication equipment are recent (last 10 years or so) introductions.

And every skipper loves to haul in more catch that his boat can handle. So, the hauling equipment, including blocks and tackles were almost always "over spec".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks