Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2008, 18:38   #421
Team-BHP Support

The SA said there is no need after inspecting it. I had asked at least twice whether we need to replace the bearings.
Old 25th November 2008, 11:35   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The SA said there is no need after inspecting it. I had asked at least twice whether we need to replace the bearings.
Sharath,
If somebody has to asses a bearing, they need to test it and check the noise/vibration signature and check the axial/ radial play against a predefined preload. I suspect mahindra workshops do that for bearing checking. Other than visual inspection and the" feel" while rotating the bearing, typically they do not check anything further. Iam not questioning the experience of a trained hand and ears for the assesment of a bearing which they see day in and day out
Suresh
Old 25th November 2008, 11:59   #423
Team-BHP Support

Suresh, I had a talk with the SA today regarding that, I told him about the concerns expressed by you.

There are 4 ball bearings sets in the gearbox. They found two of them to be having some play and have replaced them. The rest two are in perfect shape, so they feel they is no need to replace them now.

The bearings in the transfer case is also in perfect shape, they see no reason to change it.

The mechanic who is handling my Jeep is their best gearbox expert, so I'll have to defer to their judgement. And Karnataka Agencies is one of the best Mahindra Service shop in the country according to Behram.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th November 2008 at 12:02.
Old 25th November 2008, 13:25   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suresh, I had a talk with the SA today regarding that, I told him about the concerns expressed by you.

There are 4 ball bearings sets in the gearbox. They found two of them to be having some play and have replaced them. The rest two are in perfect shape, so they feel they is no need to replace them now.

The bearings in the transfer case is also in perfect shape, they see no reason to change it.

The mechanic who is handling my Jeep is their best gearbox expert, so I'll have to defer to their judgement. And Karnataka Agencies is one of the best Mahindra Service shop in the country according to Behram.
hi samurai,

please post detailed report on your O/H, starting with the problem you encountered, diagnosis, pics of parts being replaced and why! This will help others in gearbox build. Jeep gurus here may help us understand the function of each gear and problems encountered when some thing goes wrong. This would be a good learning experience. Pics will help things ease a bit.

regards
vinod
Old 25th November 2008, 13:51   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are 4 ball bearings sets in the gearbox. They found two of them to be having some play and have replaced them......

IMO, bearings are generally changed as a set, in this case it is a set of 4. Also you have just opened the gearbox, if you change all 4, you would'nt need to re-open the gearbox for a long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
please post detailed report on your O/H, starting with the problem you encountered, diagnosis, pics of parts being replaced and why!
Vinod, you got to read the title of this thread
Old 25th November 2008, 14:59   #426
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
IMO, bearings are generally changed as a set, in this case it is a set of 4. Also you have just opened the gearbox, if you change all 4, you would'nt need to re-open the gearbox for a long time!
If a non-techie client tells me how to design a software architecture, I really do get ticked off, although I may not show it. Now you want me to do the same thing to the gearbox mechanic?

They know I am not that technical about Jeeps, I can't make out one gear wheel from the other. That being the case, it is will be ridiculous on my part to dictate how to do their job best. I have suggested replacing all bearings, but they have decided to replace only half of them after inspection.
Old 25th November 2008, 15:21   #427
Senior - BHPian

Sharat, All I can do is pity you. Come on, tell the mechanics that you would like to replace all 4 as a set even if 2 of them are OK. They may think that you are on the limit of sanity, but it saves you a lot of effort.

I've known a lot of mechanics who replace bearings like the way your SA and the garage advice, but the best is always to replace the set!

Anyways. So long!
Old 25th November 2008, 15:34   #428
Team-BHP Support

Vikram, I would do that with a road side mechanic. But here I am dealing with Mahindra service center and Mahindra trained SA and mechanic. If I can't trust them to use their judgement on replacing a bearing, how can I trust them with the whole Engine and Gearbox?

You can pity me all you like. But I like to believe I am dealing with professionals until that trust is breached.
Old 25th November 2008, 16:18   #429
BHPian

Quote:

Dear sharath,
Technically speaking, it is good to change bearings as a pair, especially in the same axis because if you have a worn out bearing in one end and a new on the other, it tends to create a misalignment which will affect the life of the gears/generate vibrations/overloads. This is theory. Now this is more apt in a high speed gearboxes. Our Jeep gearboxes are low speed, very rugged and can take a lot of abuse and the experience/feel of the mechanic over rule these theories. Here we are only talking about an incremental advantage.
Suresh
Old 25th November 2008, 18:04   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can pity me all you like. But I like to believe I am dealing with professionals until that trust is breached.
Have you priced changing all four bearings? You can use tact and diplomacy and other people skills like that. I have heard rumors that some I.T. people actually have them, if only in trace amounts. Even "Alpha Geeks" like us can do it if we really wanna.
Old 25th November 2008, 18:21   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I have heard rumors that some I.T. people actually have them, if only in trace amounts. Even "Alpha Geeks" like us can do it if we really wanna.
Ken, this is Riotous: ROTFLMAO
Old 26th November 2008, 16:07   #432
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Stephen View Post
Our Jeep gearboxes are low speed, very rugged and can take a lot of abuse and the experience/feel of the mechanic over rule these theories.
Currently I have excellent relationship with both my neighbourhood mechanic and local Mahinda workshop. Both of them understand why I have this Jeep, and they advice and work on it accordingly. Often they take decisions knowing my offroading needs. For example, the SA rejected non-OE parts sent by their part shop saying this Jeep needs Mahindra OE parts. I want them to make such decisions based on their professional knowledge over my limited knowledge. When it comes to offroad sepcific knowledge (like AT/MT tyres), I would override them, but in general systems like engine and gearbox, I'll defer to their experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Have you priced changing all four bearings?
It has nothing do with cost, with 16K worth of parts going into the gearbox, they are not trying to cut cost with couple of bearings. They say there is no need to replace those perfectly working parts.

Today I was browsing the RC book for some reason, and my eyes stopped at the entry that said Colour of the Vehicle. It said Red.

Last edited by Samurai : 26th November 2008 at 17:50.
Old 26th November 2008, 17:38   #433
Senior - BHPian

^^You didn't look for the colour mentioned while you bought her?
Not a big deal,though. Since painting the CJ3x isn't going to cost much nor is it going to cost you to get the RC edited at the RTO.
Old 26th November 2008, 17:42   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Since painting the CJ3x isn't going to cost much
I very much doubt that samurai will paint his CJ3x red, even if he decides to paint it in the future.
Old 26th November 2008, 18:57   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Currently I have excellent relationship with both my neighbourhood mechanic and local Mahinda workshop. Both of them understand why I have this Jeep, and they advice and work on it accordingly. Often they take decisions knowing my offroading needs. For example, the SA rejected non-OE parts sent by their part shop saying this Jeep needs Mahindra OE parts. I want them to make such decisions based on their professional knowledge over my limited knowledge. When it comes to offroad sepcific knowledge (like AT/MT tyres), I would override them, but in general systems like engine and gearbox, I'll defer to their experience.
Sharath,
You are lucky to have a mechanic who appreciates your requirement. Iam sure you will not have any problem
Regards
Suresh

Last edited by Samurai : 26th November 2008 at 20:10. Reason: fixed formatting

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks