Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 08:22   #361
Senior - BHPian

just get your tx case oils changed. and check for lash / play in the vehicle while in 4wd high and low!

they can tighten all underchassis bolts while they are at it!
Old 20th August 2008, 10:50   #362
Senior - BHPian

M&M gearboxes and transfer cases are bullet proof, just get the oil changed[ if not changed by you after the purchase] , including the diff oil. That should be it, and Header mentioned check for play.
Old 20th August 2008, 10:54   #363
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
M&M gearboxes and transfer cases are bullet proof, just get the oil changed[ if not changed by you after the purchase] , including the diff oil. That should be it, and Header mentioned check for play.
Not quite! I just towed a Jeep with my truck for 15 kms because the transfer case went into neutral and wouldn't engage again. Not to mention the immobilised Jeep dashed our plans for some offroad fun!

Any 4x4 used well offroad will tend to wear out and it does need maintenance. A checkup does help.

Last edited by DKG : 20th August 2008 at 10:55.
Old 20th August 2008, 12:25   #364
Senior - BHPian

if the Spicer T-case doesnot co-operate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Not quite! I just towed a Jeep with my truck for 15 kms because the transfer case went into neutral and wouldn't engage again. Not to mention the immobilised Jeep dashed our plans for some offroad fun!

Any 4x4 used well offroad will tend to wear out and it does need maintenance. A checkup does help.
Thats because you did not know how to engage it

If the Hi-Neutral-Lo Lever Slips Just select the appropriate ratio and Tie Up the Lever.

If it does not engage then rock the vehicle to & fro and engage the lever.

Try these with any other T-Cases.....you will have to do a lot more towing.
Regards,

Arka

PS - Regularly check the oil-level in your G-Box & T-Case use a 85/90W140 multi-weight gear oil for all your diffs-gearbox-Tcase.
Old 20th August 2008, 12:43   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
If the Hi-Neutral-Lo Lever Slips Just select the appropriate ratio and Tie Up the Lever.

If it does not engage then rock the vehicle to & fro and engage the lever.
One can also use the leg to keep the lever pressed arka style!
Old 20th August 2008, 13:29   #366
DKG
Senior - BHPian

There's a simpler explanation Arka. Something broke within the transfer case and it had to be fixed by the mechanic the next day.

Your friend Shams will educate you on what hazard we encountered
Old 20th August 2008, 14:06   #367
Senior - BHPian

What broke

Quote:
There's a simpler explanation Arka. Something broke within the transfer case and it had to be fixed by the mechanic the next day.

Why don't you tell us what broke inside the T-Case, and definitely you can educate me about the Hazard you encountered.
Old 20th August 2008, 14:12   #368
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you tell us what broke inside the T-Case, and definitely you can educate me about the Hazard you encountered.
Shams coordinated with the mechanic to have the problem fixed. Later he told me some lever or bolt had broken so it required a replacement. It was some thing small but rendered the car immobile. Don't know the exact details. Do call him to understand what exactly broke.

PS Perhaps its worth your effort to find out Arka so you can carry a spare of that next time you go out in your Jeep. Thank goodness we were at a lake bed close to Hyderabad. If this had happened in a jungle trail 100 kms away that would have been a huge problem

Last edited by DKG : 20th August 2008 at 14:17.
Old 20th August 2008, 14:18   #369
BHPian

Hi
A similar thing happened to me over the weekend at Badra, I engaged 4wd and revved a bit to get the vehicle going and there was a loud rapport from the transmission case.
It transpired that the gearbox main shaft broke, the minuscule crack which was found at the milling where the rear cog sits broke clean as a whistle.
I later inspected the shaft and was surprised to find the crack had been existing for a long time and just snapped when it was put under heavier than normal stress.
The other reasons which we thought possible were :
1> Disintegration of clutch plate(happens sometimes)
2> Gear cog connecting the main gearbox to the 4wd one had worked loose.
3> The pin holding the 4wd levers had slipped and it wouldnt engage.
It was only on the removal and inspection of the gearbox that we were able to get the work done as required.
cheers
Jammy

Quote:

Old 20th August 2008, 15:08   #370
Senior - BHPian

Spicer 18 - No Problem

Quote:
PS Perhaps its worth your effort to find out Arka so you can carry a spare of that next time you go out in your Jeep. Thank goodness we were at a lake bed close to Hyderabad. If this had happened in a jungle trail 100 kms away that would have been a huge problem
What Shams was referring to is part no. 28 & 30 i.e pivot pin & Set Screw.

In case this fall off you can always use a similar size bolt to pivot the levers and thereby engage 4WD .

It requires a little ingenuity and bit of mechanical inclination.

And yes we have faced this quite a few time and can be attributed to improper installation, its actually a very minor problem.

Regards,

Arka
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-t18-partsbreakdown02a.jpg  

Old 20th August 2008, 17:18   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It requires a little ingenuity and bit of mechanical inclination.... its actually a very minor problem.

Regards,

Arka
A temp fix of this lever pivot pin would be about the limits of my mechanical ability. Arka, what tools and parts do you take with you when you go off-roading? One picture would be worth a thousand words here if you could, please.
Old 20th August 2008, 18:33   #372
Senior - BHPian

Arka, takes with him, all tools necessary to remove and refix a jeep.

What is noteworthy is that this guy has mastered a Mahindra - Maybe all things broke in his jeep some point in time and he has fixed it!

Ofcourse, he has an inclination for JEEPS in particular.

I had the privilege of owning a rare CJ3B with a 2.1 peugeot engine in it at some point in time. We had gone to our famous kelambakkam quarry and had to do an obstacle.

Mine was the lone jeep that could NOT do the obstacle. My 1 low as slipping and it would disengage halfway up the climb - a scary situation at times. This guy [arka] came with the ingenious idea of using your left leg to hold the lever in place and do the obstacle!
Old 21st August 2008, 00:43   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG
Perhaps its worth your effort to find out Arka so you can carry a spare of that next time you go out in your Jeep.
Please read the following from the training day thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram
The landcruiser sitting out on the peak being pulled up by a winch and the Prowler had a problem which left it immobile. No 2WD or 4WD working. We could see Arka's foresight in his preparedness for such unexpected eventualities. All the tools required were available handy and thanks to him there was no anxiety among the group.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...tml#post654304
In my small experience with off-roading, I've noticed that there would be atleast one vehicle with a mechanical problem. This is mostly because these vehicles are stressed to their limits while off-roading.
So,it is part and parcel to know how to fix it if you happen to have a problem.

This is a requisite to any motor sport. Unlike racing,where you can tow the broken down car to the pits and fix it the next day , you just can't abandon a 4x4 in the middle of nowhere and get back home. Even worse if the broken down jeep is the only vehicle there.
Always , go prepared.
Old 21st August 2008, 11:34   #374
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
Hi
A similar thing happened to me over the weekend at Badra, I engaged 4wd and revved a bit to get the vehicle going and there was a loud rapport from the transmission case.
It transpired that the gearbox main shaft broke,
Jammy I guess with age and use metal fatigue sets in and these kind of breakdowns are inevitable. The severity and stresses of offroading really does require a vehicle to be in top shape.

This is one reason why I recommended to Samurai to have them go over the vehicle in detail as he will use it extensively offroad.

Last edited by DKG : 21st August 2008 at 11:36.
Old 21st August 2008, 20:33   #375
Senior - BHPian

@DKG. these kind of breakdowns are NOT inevitable sir. One can do an offroad without straining the vehicle. Thats where one learns "how" NOT to spoil a vehicle.

Having said that, I do agree that a vehicle should be in top shape before an attempt to offroad!

This is often a paradox.

People think taking the car on track would mean extensive wear and tear. But if driven within limits, one actually starts to enjoy the track too!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks