Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 00:04   #316
Team-BHP Support

Well, I finally figured I should take the bull by the horn than overanalyse the oil question.

Anyway, I went to a NH17 petrol bunk for the PUC check. I thought the diesel engine emission test is different. But he did the same check as cars, it was over in 2 minutes by just hooking that pipe into the exhaust.

Once that was over, I asked him for Engine oil for the Jeep. He gave me servo multi-grade 20w40. I remembered that was good for 0-32C weather, you need 30W for 32C+ weather. Since the next few months will stay below 30C, this should be fine. He didn't have differential oil, but did have brake fluid, got 250ml of that.

When I came near my home, I noticed a Castrol lubricant shop, funny how I never noticed it all this time, it is barely 200m from my house. There I got castrol rear axle/differential oil and also 1:1 coolant.

Everywhere I showed the Jeep and asked, and they confidently handed out the oil, hopefully this gamble shouldn't backfire.

Meanwhile, I looked into the brake fluid tank, and it appears closer to MIN than MAX, should I add some brake fluid into the tank to bring it to MAX?

Last edited by Samurai : 9th July 2008 at 12:37.
Old 9th July 2008, 00:16   #317
Team-BHP Support

Samurai, your engine oil basics are a little rusty.
20W40 or 20W50 will perform better than 30W oil.

20W means winter grade, means this can be pumped as well as SAE 20 oil
The upper number means viscosity at 100 degree C.

So 20W40 is quite good. If you want to stay mineral, I would suggest Castrol GTX Diesel, which is 10W40 API-CI4. API-CI offers much superior protection as compared to API-CD(which you have got for yourself)

API-CI mineral oil is not very expensive, and costs just 10-15% more than the "sasta CRB"
Old 9th July 2008, 08:18   #318
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Tanveer, my engine oil basics are not rusty, they are non-existent. This is the first time ever I bought Engine oil over the counter. I always let the service centers deal with the engine oil choice.

BTW, can I just top up the brake fluid until the max, or there is some other procedure?
Old 9th July 2008, 08:31   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is the first time ever I bought Engine oil over the counter. I always let the service centers deal with the engine oil choice.

BTW, can I just top up the brake fluid until the max, or there is some other procedure?
Goodluck Sharat, just are becoming better in owning a jeep! You may have to buy many more things off the counter - We are all learning to do it. But I agree it is a pain to find the time and make an effort to do it just for the love of our jeeps

The brake fluid is to be topped until the top level mark in the container! BTW, dont leave the brake fluid container open for a long time. It attracts moisture and the efficiency of the fluid reduces..there is a name for it - Hygroscopic or something.
Old 9th July 2008, 10:24   #320
Team-BHP Support

How old is the brake fluid? If there is air in the likes you should first "bleed" the brake system and then top up.
As for engine oil, visit the Synthetic oil article thread. There are tonnes of post about mineral oil for diesel engined cars there
Old 9th July 2008, 11:57   #321
Senior - BHPian

Chevron Delo 400 mineral oil is the best for diesels followed by Mobil Delvac MX. Delo costs around 170-180 Rs. a litre. Will keep your engine purring like a well fed cat
Old 9th July 2008, 12:09   #322
Senior - BHPian

Handling

Samarai,

What is your opinion of the way your jeep handles, the steering? Do you feel it is dangerously vague at higher speeds or anything like that? I have heard this about Indian and foreign jeeps and I have experienced this on a few myself. Not a confidence builder!

Also, an open question for all you wizards, if you want better, more precise steering on a jeep, what do you do about that in India? Not all of us live where we can import dampers etc. We are stuck with our bare assets hanging out in the breeze.
Old 9th July 2008, 12:43   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Samarai,

What is your opinion of the way your jeep handles, the steering? Do you feel it is dangerously vague at higher speeds or anything like that? I have heard this about Indian and foreign jeeps and I have experienced this on a few myself. Not a confidence builder!

Also, an open question for all you wizards, if you want better, more precise steering on a jeep, what do you do about that in India? Not all of us live where we can import dampers etc. We are stuck with our bare assets hanging out in the breeze.
You could:

1. Reduce tyre pressure to say around 25.
2. Put broader tyres
3. Get gas dampers to improve ride and handling
4. Change the steering wheel assembly to that or armada for more precise steering.

They are all in the increasing order cost wise.

But I do agree, we spending all the money, we might as well buy a car to go fast!
Old 9th July 2008, 15:23   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
You could:

1. Reduce tyre pressure to say around 25.
2. Put broader tyres
3. Get gas dampers to improve ride and handling
4. Change the steering wheel assembly to that or armada for more precise steering.

They are all in the increasing order cost wise.

But I do agree, we spending all the money, we might as well buy a car to go fast!
Err! isn't 25psi too low.
doesn't armada and other jeep use same steering (worm and roller type)! Old Armada Grand did had power steering though!
correct me if i am wrong!
Old 9th July 2008, 16:02   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Chevron Delo 400 mineral oil is the best for diesels followed by Mobil Delvac MX. Delo costs around 170-180 Rs. a litre. Will keep your engine purring like a well fed cat
Delvac MX costed me 1250 for 7.5 Ltrs == 167 Rs/Ltre

i recently used Delvac MX in my safari and the difference is positive
Old 9th July 2008, 16:07   #326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I drive 3 different vehicles (Santro,Grand Vitara and CJ340) everyday, so I experience superb handling of GV and the vague handling of CJ340 back to back, while Santro is somewhere in between. I have stopped noticing the vagueness of Jeep handling, because it is very different, my driving style is very different in the Jeep. Driving the Jeep is almost like sailing a ship, you have to plan your turns and execute in advance, the last minute twist of the steering wheel won't help. Since one can't go high speed in the CJ340 with original engine, it doesn't matter too much.

Meanwhile, this is the engine oil I got, it was Servo 20W-40 not Castrol, rest of the stuff was castrol. It was 650 bucks for 5lt.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-engine-oil.jpg

BTW, do I really have to drain the brake fluid first before filling the new one?

Last edited by Samurai : 9th July 2008 at 16:08.
Old 9th July 2008, 16:09   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
BTW, do I really have to drain the brake fluid first before filling the new one?
No sir, not required!
Old 9th July 2008, 21:48   #328
Senior - BHPian

If you do not know what is the fluid in the brake system at present than do drain it, DOT3 and DOT4 any one can be used, but do not mix them [recommended ].
Old 9th July 2008, 23:37   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

20W means winter grade, means this can be pumped as well as SAE 20 oil
The upper number means viscosity at 100 degree C.
Tanveer, I think your basics are a bit rusty too. 20W40 means that the oil is able to hold its viscosity in a temperature range of 20-40 deg C. 20W50 holds its viscocity over a greater range. Both will thin out at 100 deg C, with the 20W50 being more viscous at the same temperature. Oil data sheets give you the viscosity at various temperatures.

For winter applications, one gets somethins like 5W30 or whatever,notice the first number going down. Usually, this means that the viscosity of oil goes down as well(compared to an oil which has a higher first number - say 20W40). A highly viscous oil at normal temperature will make cold winter starts very hard, as viscosity will increase as ambient temperature goes down.

20W40 oil manufactured for diesel engines have the same viscosity as theor petrol counterparts, but they have more detergant content to flush out the diesel combustion byproducts.

Last edited by kuttapan : 9th July 2008 at 23:39.
Old 10th July 2008, 00:58   #330
Team-BHP Support

Meanwhile, I got some electric work done. Added a pair of fog lights (Rs.312/pair), one reverse light (Rs.91) and fixed the hi-beam-low-beam issue. Also replaced the Bosch H4 with Philips H4 and kept the former as spare.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks