Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2011, 12:52   #1336
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family

Dear Sharath - please DO NOT go for the Koyo steering gear in your CL340. I know all the issues, you will never come out of it once you go in. Use two Scorpio specification batteries in parallel, this arrangement will work perfectly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 26th August 2011 at 12:54.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 08:59   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Use two Scorpio specification batteries in parallel, this arrangement will work perfectly.
Why 2 batteries in parallel sir? For Winching?

Why not have a heavy duty battery and a high capacity alternator to do the job?

2 batteries is complicating the setup!
Old 6th September 2011, 09:13   #1338
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Vikram - MH01AC9202 "was" , a white 2 seater 4 wheel drive Scorpio with enhanced 4 whee drive capabilities alongwith full specification 3" diameter roll cage with cross bracing and two Ramsey 8000 lbs winches fitted at the front and back. It ran on 2 batteries in parallel from 2007 "till recently". I don't know its whereabouts now. .

I am attaching a photograph. Enjoy!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-dsc00287.jpg  

Old 6th September 2011, 11:06   #1339
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Why 2 batteries in parallel sir? For Winching?
I have this setup .
I had a communication with the winch manufacturer 'Warn' & according to them such setup is beneficial as Amp/Hr capacity will be doubled & the winch motor will have sufficient current available at any point of time than a single battery so the motor will run cooler .
Also according to them 4x4 vehicles which do some competition do prefer this setup for the above reason

Quote:
Why not have a heavy duty battery and a high capacity alternator to do the job?
Have tried this but I will prefer 2 batteries in parallel anytime, reason ; almost double the Amp/Hr capacity

Quote:
Not at all , this is only a mental block people have ( I had it too ) , but once you do it then you get used to it & it becomes a normal fitment then

Please check posts # 34 , 55 , 60 & 61 & also other discussion here >>
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ch-test-5.html

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 6th September 2011 at 11:08.
Old 6th September 2011, 11:52   #1340
BHPian

Quote:
Gets complicated when 2 batteries are of different ratings or when one of them does not hold the charge.
mohang_j is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 12:27   #1341
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
Gets complicated when 2 batteries are of different ratings or when one of them does not hold the charge.
Very much correct ,

I missed this point

To add to that :

1) Its always better (& correct ) to start with 2 new batteries of the same make & same specifications for this setup to run satisfactorily ( I have done the same )

2) also cable length needs to be the same , they say the battery which has a shorter cable gets more charged than the other , in this setup ( I am no engineer so experts can shed more light on this point )

Experts are welcome to comment on this ' complications ' factor here as my knowledge is basically a common sense based thing .

Sudarshan
Old 6th September 2011, 12:33   #1342
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
2) also cable length needs to be the same , they say the battery which has a shorter cable gets more charged than the other , in this setup ( I am no engineer so experts can shed more light on this point )
Obviously, shorter cable, less resistance, more current. IIRC, it is Ohms law.

Last edited by Samurai : 6th September 2011 at 12:35.
Old 6th September 2011, 13:16   #1343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Obviously, shorter cable, less resistance, more current. IIRC, it is Ohms law.

Well the above number of posts explaining the 2 battery setup is enough to prove that it is complicated..

Sudahrshan JEE - I agree with the competetion preparation etc, but why, WHY on normal vehicles?

Competetion specs are entirely different and we would need a separate thread for that!!

My Apologies to Samurai to hijack his thread!
Old 6th September 2011, 13:57   #1344
BANNED

Quote:
Well the above number of posts explaining the 2 battery setup is enough to prove that it is complicated..
we often do & live with more complicated things in our Jeeps , say like bleeding & adjusting brakes or setting fuel pump & valve timings etc ...

The point is, its a mindset --- if a cook / caterer like me can do it , then why cant people like you ?? ( you know I do things myself -- no mech involved )

Quote:
Sudahrshan JEE - I agree with the competition preparation etc, but why, WHY on normal vehicles?
yesterdays competitive specs are today's run of a mill tech , like fuel injection & ecm or say turbo charging etc .

To me its the mindset first & the technology follows later , this is just connecting two batteries with some simple commonsense involved

Dual battery( two in parallel ) is as simple as connecting two headlamps to relay . its not some rocket science-- its just the wires are bigger & heavier

Sudarshan
Old 5th October 2011, 16:48   #1345
BHPian

Samurai San,

This thread will act as the bible for a CJ/CL 340 any given day. Just finished it after rigorous reading of 3 days (intermittent).

What a great story and learning experience this has been. Just rated it a 5 star (which would actually be an understatement for this thread).
Old 10th October 2011, 15:05   #1346
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj3bDog View Post
This thread will act as the bible for a CJ/CL 340 any given day. Just finished it after rigorous reading of 3 days (intermittent).

What a great story and learning experience this has been. Just rated it a 5 star (which would actually be an understatement for this thread).
Thanks Cj3bDog, the credit should go to all the experts who contributed to this thread. I merely ask all the dumb questions.

But all these troubles do lead to some learning. Recently, when I was returning from Somwarpet OTR on Shiradi Ghat, I suddenly started smelling diesel. At first I thought it was from another vehicle, but the smell lingered. Then I noticed that my co-passenger foot well is all wet. Oh damn, the diesel was seeping into the foot well from the engine bay.

I quickly stopped the Jeep, but I almost knew the answer. Since the engine power had not been affected, it has to be the returning fuel that is leaking. Besides, my diesel return pipe had slipped at least twice before this. But that won't spill into the cabin, it spills directly to the ground. However, that problem was fixed a month back.

See this:
Quote:
At the same time we noticed diesel smell, and looked around. The diesel was freely pouring from the left side. I opened the hood and noticed that fuel return pipe was disengaged. This is not the first time. At the end of Avalakonda OTR, same thing had happened, which svsantosh had brought to my notice.

We tried to tighten it, but it was still a little slippery. So the electrician tied it like this until we find a permanent solution.
So, that can't be the problem, it must be some other part of diesel return piping. I opened the hood and found the entire engine bay wet with diesel. The pipe shown above was intact as you see.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-img_20110828_135733.jpg

So I decided to look at the entire return-fuel piping, and found the culprit at one of the injector return pipes.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-img_20110828_135501.jpg

So I connected the pipe back. Started the engine and watched it for a while. The pipe remained intact, I guess it had came off gradually over many days or weeks.

I know this is a very small problem. But it felt good that I could finally diagnose a Jeep problem on field without even opening the hood.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th October 2011 at 15:03. Reason: typo
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 13:06   #1347
Senior - BHPian

You are still running the non-OE throttle connector? Hmm, looks like you got used to it over the time... Do you have a spare for the final 5-6inch cable?

EDIt - the final connector is a clutch cable?

Last edited by svsantosh : 11th October 2011 at 13:13.
Old 11th October 2011, 15:02   #1348
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
You are still running the non-OE throttle connector? Hmm, looks like you got used to it over the time...
It works like a charm, why change it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
EDIt - the final connector is a clutch cable?
No, that cable belongs to the fast idle knob, which doesn't work since the cable is too long. Someday I need to shorten that cable and make it work.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th October 2011 at 16:07.
Old 11th October 2011, 17:39   #1349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Cj3bDog, the credit should go to all the experts who contributed to this thread. I merely ask all the dumb questions. But all these troubles do lead to some learning. But it felt good that I could finally diagnose a Jeep problem on field without even opening the hood.
Dear Sharath - thanks for your gracious comments. I felt nice reading them, therefore I am sharing my happiness with you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 11th October 2011, 20:27   #1350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I decided to look at the entire return-fuel piping, and found the culprit at one of the injector return pipes.

Attachment 824619

So I connected the pipe back. Started the engine and watched it for a while. The pipe remained intact, I guess it had came off gradually over many days or weeks.
Not unusual. Glad you escaped the collateral damages :- Passengers shoes slippery with very thin coating of diesel (causing them to slip and fall if walking on a polished floor), and paint rubbing off on passenger side footwell?

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed