Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2009, 00:44   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post
Ankit,

my friend in Gurgaon has a Michelin dealership. Here's the price list of BFG (its dated, so not sure about the latest price). Let me know if you want any help sourcing them.
Cheers!
Thanks Preet.

Can you please ask him about BFG MTKM size 215/75 R15 and the price of this as well.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 16th November 2009, 21:34   #137
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Has anyone tried the FIAT UNO/PALIO 1.9D on a gypsy? Think it will be a good match for OTRs
I cant understand why people didnt reply to my post?

Was that off topic??
Old 17th November 2009, 12:23   #138
BHPian

Quote:
I cant understand why people didnt reply to my post?

Was that off topic??
Hi Joshguy

As far as I am aware the 1.9D engine of the palio is a heavy unit as compared to the CD17 nissan engine. Gypsy King had an all alluminium engine which was very light so i did not want to put a very heavy engine in. But that dosent mean it cant be done. People have put Toyota 3L and Isuzu 2.4L diesels in the gypsy but without 4x4 unfortunately as the engine is very tall and hits the from diff.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 17th November 2009, 13:52   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Hi Joshguy

As far as I am aware the 1.9D engine of the palio is a heavy unit as compared to the CD17 nissan engine. Gypsy King had an all alluminium engine which was very light so i did not want to put a very heavy engine in. But that dosent mean it cant be done. People have put Toyota 3L and Isuzu 2.4L diesels in the gypsy but without 4x4 unfortunately as the engine is very tall and hits the from diff.

Cheers
Ankit
Hi Ankit,
I recently manage to convert my 1.8 Isuzu Diesel Gypsy MG410 back to 4x4. The previous owner who did the diesel conversion could not retain the 4x4 becaue the oil sump was hitting the differential. So he had removed the internals from the differential housing, the TC and the peopeller shaft. So I had to buy all those from scrap market to convert it back to a 4x4.
Cheers
Shibu
Old 17th November 2009, 14:47   #140
BHPian

Bfg

Quote:
Can you please ask him about BFG MTKM size 215/75 R15 and the price of this as well.
Cheers
Ankit
Ankit,

Spoke to the Michelin sales manager directly. As per him the MTKM tyre is not available through the official route. I guess whoever is selling these (in grey) are importing them directly. Karol Bagh, Delhi would be a good place to look.

Only BFG tyre sold by Michelin in India in that size is the 'All-Terrain T/A KO'. I could not get the price & availability of these tyres as the sales mgr was driving. I will PM you his contact details. You can contact him directly.

Cheers!
Old 17th November 2009, 20:01   #141
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Hi Ankit,
I recently manage to convert my 1.8 Isuzu Diesel Gypsy MG410 back to 4x4. The previous owner who did the diesel conversion could not retain the 4x4 becaue the oil sump was hitting the differential. So he had removed the internals from the differential housing, the TC and the peopeller shaft. So I had to buy all those from scrap market to convert it back to a 4x4.
Cheers
Shibu
How did you do it Shibu ?

What about the sump?did you carry out any modifications in it
Old 18th November 2009, 08:07   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ankit,
Cheers
Shibu
Hi Shibu
How did you manage the modification/ conversion? Pictures would be useful! i am actually contemplating changing the engine of my CJ3B to 1.8 ISUZU (petrol) with performance mods etc!!!
Old 18th November 2009, 08:44   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi Shibu
How did you manage the modification/ conversion? Pictures would be useful! i am actually contemplating changing the engine of my CJ3B to 1.8 ISUZU (petrol) with performance mods etc!!!
I did it on a CJ3B in 2000. The oil sump is a big problem when fitted to a 3B. The oil filter is another item that fouls with the front diff. I had to re-build the entire crankcase with a very shallow pan in front and deep towards the end. You will need to redesign and lengthen the tube of the oil pump filter unit inside the crank case.
If you are going to try the Isuzu engine, start by fitting the engine as high as possible.

Last edited by jyobeb : 18th November 2009 at 08:47.
Old 18th November 2009, 15:07   #144
BHPian

Quote:
How did you do it Shibu ?

What about the sump?did you carry out any modifications in it
Joshguy, I did not want to modify the sump since it affects flow of oil and will also heat up the engine. So what I did was I added 2 more leafs in the front, recampered the leaf set to get more height and then I replaced the front shackles to give more lift and clearance. So these mods gave about 4-5 incles clearance beteen the sump and the front differentials. I havent had any issues so far.
So the downside of this mods is a stiffer and bumpier front suspension. But for me getting back 4x4 on my diesel gypsy was a great thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi Shibu
Harjeev, See my reply above to Joshguy.
I will defenitely share the pics. If you need more details let me know.
So you are following the Kandisa way by going for 1.8 Isuzu. What performance mods you are planning on your CJ3B ? All the best with your CJ3B conversion/modification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
I did it on a CJ3B in 2000. The oil sump is a big problem when fitted to a 3B. The oil filter is another item that fouls with the front diff. I had to re-build the entire crankcase with a very shallow pan in front and deep towards the end. You will need to redesign and lengthen the tube of the oil pump filter unit inside the crank case.
If you are going to try the Isuzu engine, start by fitting the engine as high as possible.
Jyobeb, how was the performance of the engine after you did the mods on the sump. Yes I was just going to say that to harjeev to modify the engine foundation so that the engine will sit high and will not foul with the diff housing.
Old 18th November 2009, 16:23   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...So you are following the Kandisa way by going for 1.8 Isuzu. What performance mods you are planning on your CJ3B ? ...
Well,no,i guess he intends to follow a cj3b in Ludhiana which has this engine, capable of doing 120+ comfortably and scares the hell out of anyone sitting on the passenger side!
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:57   #146
BHPian

Corbett

We went to Corbett last weekend. The Diesel Gypsy covered 550kms on this round trip effortlessly.

The resort we stayed at had 3 river crossings on the way there. Here are some videos:

Will post some pics as well later.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:14   #147
Senior - BHPian

Nice videos Ankit. The tyres did make a hell of difference in the stance of the gypsy. How did the tyres behave on road? What was the max speed?
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:12   #148
BHPian

Hi Somen

There is not much difference in driving on road. The braking had become a concern so I got Brake booster installed. The braking is just toooo good now.

On the Highway it was doing speeds of around 100kmph. It dosent go any faster than that due to the engine being mated to the Gypsy King gearbox. Although the torque is just amazing while affroading so I dont mind the drop in top speed.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:22   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Somen
There is not much difference in driving on road. The braking had become a concern so I got Brake booster installed. The braking is just toooo good now.
On the Highway it was doing speeds of around 100kmph. It dosent go any faster than that due to the engine being mated to the Gypsy King gearbox. Although the torque is just amazing while affroading so I dont mind the drop in top speed.
Cheers
Ankit
Yeah you got to have the booster for a safer on road journey And 100 is a pretty good speed though i am sure you were tempted to drive faster on the moradabad & hapur bypass stretches.
Old 13th April 2010, 12:57   #150
BHPian

Back to Petrol

Hi Guys

I want to convert my Gypsy back to Petrol and have though of the following two options:
  1. 1.3L Mpfi Engine
  2. 1.6L Baleno Engine
What do you guys suggest?
The Diesel Engine is up for sale in the classifieds section.

The main reason I wanted to convert back was that I have past the stage in life where it was expensive for me to drive a petrol gypsy and hence converted to diesel. I want to go back to petrol so that I can do higher speed on highways and get a hard top cabin built for the AC (already installed) so that the family (wife and 1 son) can travel with me if we go to National Parks or Leh, etc. so places where 4x4 may be needed and in decent comfort. Maybe rear CFL and gas shocks.

Thanks for yours comments.

Cheers
Ankit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks