Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2009, 14:07   #91
Senior - BHPian

HI, I would appreciate #1. But please exercise caution while driving the gypsy with the anti roll bar removed.

I'm aware that Khan has done it and have also expressed my opinion in that thread.

IMO, the antiroll bar helps keep the gypsy stable on road. Max you will lift a wheel offroad and that should not cause much concern!
Old 28th January 2009, 14:15   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Hi all

I am planning the following mods on my gypsy:

1. Chop off the rear overhang

2. Remove the anti-roll bar for better articulation off road

Any advise would be very helpful. Also, any other mods you would suggest that would help off-road while not making it undrvable on road....
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
HI, I would appreciate #1. But please exercise caution while driving the gypsy with the anti roll bar removed.

I'm aware that Khan has done it and have also expressed my opinion in that thread.

IMO, the antiroll bar helps keep the gypsy stable on road. Max you will lift a wheel offroad and that should not cause much concern!
Have posted to your query in other thread also: Here it is again

Quote:

Removing the sway-bar will FOR SURE increase the body roll during your highway driving. I hope you understand what you are getting into. Do think again before you do that.

My advise is that DON'T do mods just because someone else have done them or you have read/heard good things about them. Do mods ONLY which you understand fully and are comfortable with.

Even 'removing the rear overhang' has issues of your chassis number going for a toss. So you can take a guess now of what it means..
BTW, costs:

Chopping Rear Overhang: ~10-11K, including painting etc
Removing anti-sway bar: Free

Cheers,
Old 28th January 2009, 18:32   #93
BHPian

@ Shanawaz - sorry about the duplicate posts. Thanks for the feedback. I have been reading through your Tcase and Lockers thread as well. Good reports.

@ Headers - saw both your remarks here and on Shanawz's thread.

Question - the lanscape on one of the NCR OTR tracks is very uneven in the sense that there are huge mounds over which either the right or the left wheel will have to travel that too first the front and then the rear wheels. In such situation it feels like the vehicle is going to flip to one side. Would removing the antiroll bar help? Can this be removed before an OTR and refitted afterwards?
Old 28th January 2009, 20:04   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow
Question - the lanscape on one of the NCR OTR tracks is very uneven in the sense that there are huge mounds over which either the right or the left wheel will have to travel that too first the front and then the rear wheels. In such situation it feels like the vehicle is going to flip to one side. Would removing the antiroll bar help? Can this be removed before an OTR and refitted afterwards?
I am assuming your vehicle is Leaf sprung, Hence the sway bar movement is limited.

This is what I found out with my coil sprung suspension, When the axles are inclined one way, the sway bar corrects the chassis to level horizontally, thus the body levels an you are in a comfortable position to drive with more control. I personally do not like soggy tip over feeling, so I have kept my sway bar but have extended the sway bar links to suit my lift. It is a good compromise.

Cheers
Old 27th March 2009, 09:26   #95
BHPian

Electric Fan on Diesel Gypsy

I have got an electric fan fitted on the Diesel engine. This should keep the engine cooler and run the AC better as well. I have used the Wagon R electric fan for this and the thermostat housing has been modified for the temp sensor to allow auto on/off. The fan will also come on whenever the AC is switched on. I have not tested this but will write up again after few weeks on the road running AC and a couple of OTRs. I have also asked my mechanic to change all oils (incl. gearbox, diff, etc.) I am also getting a soft top custom made which will cover the entire vehicle but will roll up from the sides as well and from the back. It will also have a seperate compartment (which will also roll up) behind the drivers cabin to run the AC.

Engine Update - I have run 15,000kms on the 1.7L CD17 Nissan Engine and it is working well. No problems. Just service the vehicle and use it as I used to when I had the petrol engine. I even took it to the OTR in Chandigarh and there were no problems. Once the engine overheated when I was driving in the blistering heat for half hour on 4L on the sand, but this should get sorted out with the electric fan.

Pics Attached of the Electric Fan fittment.
Attached Thumbnails
Gypsy Diesel conversion with 4x4-e-fan-1.jpg  

Gypsy Diesel conversion with 4x4-e-fan-3.jpg  

Gypsy Diesel conversion with 4x4-e-fan-4.jpg  

Gypsy Diesel conversion with 4x4-e-fan-7.jpg  

Old 27th March 2009, 10:53   #96
Senior - BHPian

Good ankit!!
So have you removed the mechanical fan???
Is it not possible to have both?

You could have installed the electric fan in front of the Radiator and left the mechanical fan as it is!!!
Or am I missing something?
Old 27th March 2009, 11:01   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Ankit, how much did the wagonR fan mod cost you? is it a new fan or an old fan?

Do let us know the results. I am very much interested in putting in an extra fan.
Old 27th March 2009, 11:12   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

Do let us know the results. I am very much interested in putting in an extra fan.
This is a really easy mod.

You have two options:
1) Fix the AC fan which sits in front of the radiator and connect it to a switch which you can switch ON as and when required.
2) Connect the fan through thermostats switch, i think switch from another Maruti stable vehicle should fit easy and then it would work in auto mode.

Cost should be under 5 grand, ensure you get the right size fan for your radiator size.
Old 27th March 2009, 11:25   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
... Cost should be under 5 grand, ensure you get the right size fan for your radiator size.
. That's quite a lot. Want to do it < 1K . Possible? Can wait till I find a crashed wagon R for the donor fan. Once I have the fan assembly, rest is easy.
Old 27th March 2009, 11:34   #100
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Even me Interested in putting electric fan, will search in gujri for wagonR fan.
Shanawaz today did not venture out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is a really easy mod.

You have two options:
1) Fix the AC fan which sits in front of the radiator and connect it to a switch which you can switch ON as and when required.
I am looking this option and its easy. My engine is MPFI so connecting through thermostat is complicated need to touch ECU.
Old 27th March 2009, 11:40   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Even me Interested in putting electric fan, will search in gujri for wagonR fan.
Shanawaz today did not venture out..
If you go there and find more than 1 at reasonable price (Read as -- very very cheap), then ping me. BTW, when are you planning to go there? We can go together

Will be going out tomorrow night -- camping . Call me for more details
Old 27th March 2009, 12:06   #102
Senior - BHPian

Good Job Goslow: You really have a great vehicle now!
Old 27th March 2009, 12:29   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Good ankit!!
So have you removed the mechanical fan???
Is it not possible to have both?

You could have installed the electric fan in front of the Radiator and left the mechanical fan as it is!!!
Or am I missing something?
Harjeev - You are right. I could have kept both but that would mean cutting the the area in front of the radiator to accomodate the electric fan. This is done in rally gypsies hence they have the bonnet clips on either side (you have to cut out the part where the orignal bonnet lock is fitted). I did not want to cut the body.

Do you know why only a eklectric fan can be a problem? The Bolero runs with only a electric fan.

Quote:

A new Wagon R fan is 2.5K, but a second hand one should be around 1K. I was looking around for a 2nd hand fan first but did not find one for a week so put a new one instead. My mechanic has tested the vehicle for the last 2 days and all well as of now.

Quote:
Good Job Goslow: You really have a great vehicle now!
Thanks Headers. I just need to sort out some tyres now. I am looking for orignal gypsy tyres as mine are not very good in sandy inclines and I loose traction very easily. Also looking for LSD for the rear. Harjeev's cousin quoted me 5K for a rear LSD for the Gypsy but seeing Harjeev's latest experience there, I am not keen on going to him! God knows what he will do.
Old 27th March 2009, 13:28   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
I am looking for orignal gypsy tyres as mine are not very good in sandy, inclines and I loose traction very easily.
Hi,

You could go for any of the latest AT tyres for a gypsy. 235s are the max size on stock gypsy rims that will fit without a problem. I've got Michelins and have never faced a problem because of the tyres. Its the lack of momentum on some steep sand inclines that makes one fail.

Ofcourse, a gypsy is a fast machine and hence i prefer to stay away from those Mud tyres and I have no experience of the same.

Maybe Shanavaz Khan could throw some light about the Lockers and tyres.

I'd personally prefer a full Manual Diff lock to LSDs or auto lockers..
Old 27th March 2009, 14:41   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

You could go for any of the latest AT tyres for a gypsy. 235s are the max size on stock gypsy rims that will fit without a problem. I've got Michelins and have never faced a problem because of the tyres. Its the lack of momentum on some steep sand inclines that makes one fail.

Ofcourse, a gypsy is a fast machine and hence i prefer to stay away from those Mud tyres and I have no experience of the same.

Maybe Shanavaz Khan could throw some light about the Lockers and tyres.

I'd personally prefer a full Manual Diff lock to LSDs or auto lockers..
Vikram - I already have 215 AT Tyres. I have Bridgestone on the front and Maxis on the rear. The rear ones are not At though and are a real let down.

Do you think that if I just change the rear ones to Michelin/BF Goodrich AT, they should work fine? How do they perform on loose soil and mud?

Cheers
Ankit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks