Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2008, 18:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

GoSlow,Having done the change over to Diesel Engine, what are the positive changes and negatives you have noticed in your gypsy?One positive point I can say is your engine torque is increased and it helps you in off roading very best. At crawling speed your gypsy fitted with diesel engine will equate in performance to jeep. Is the gypsy king engine of 1.3 ltr is still available with whom you swapped and if yes, what is the expectation Dwarak
Old 7th November 2008, 18:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

GoSlow,

Your interest in some serious off roading can be satiated in Delhi itself. Log onto Jeep_thrills in Yahoogroups.com. They are a hardcore off roaders and have jeeps and gypsies too.

You can call on Sarvinder Singh , Moderator of Jeep_thrills and join for OTR.

Dwarak
Old 8th November 2008, 03:20   #18
BHPian

Initial results

Drivability
On the positive side the drivability has improved thanks to the higher torque and I don’t need to change gears as much in city traffic. The engine is quite frugal as I have already mentioned and easy to maintain (what I have been told). On the negative side it is not as fast as the petrol engine used to be.
From whatever off roading I have done since then it has performed as it did previously. I will know better after I get to participate in an OTR.
NVH
When I first got it, it sounded like a tractor. I laughed but thought I will have to get used to it. Surprisingly the engine has become fairly quiet now after about 2000kms. Believe it or not at 50-60kmph you cant hear it. Mind you the 1.3L carb unit wasn’t particularly quiet either so in comparison it is not far off. You can hear the clatter more at lower gears but I think I like the sound of a diesel more! I had not got the compression checked as I was not aware of this but I will rebuild in future if need be.
1.3 Multijet Diesel research
I had written to Maruti Udyog few months back enquiring about the option of retro fitting the Fiat Multijet engine from the factory in my Gypsy. Their response was to contact one of the dealers for further info. I did not probe it any further as I know it would have been way over my budget.
RTO
I have got found out from a source at the Kolkata RTO that they will register the vehicle. I just need to furnish the required docs. I am not entirely convinced that it can be so simple. Fingers crossed guys. I have also asked for a friend to enquire about nearby towns in Haryana and Punjab if anyone else wants to get their after market disel registered. Will post again when I have more info.

I have already sold the old engine, sorry. I have contacted Sarvinder via the jeepthrills website. Hope to hear some good news soon. Thanks all for you help and support.

Please bear with me for the photos. Will post them in a day or two.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th November 2008 at 07:46.
Old 11th November 2008, 11:17   #19
BHPian

Pics of Engine and gearbox

Nissan Engine
and Gypsy King geabox mated to the engive via adapter plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Gypsy Diesel conversion with 4x4-nissan-engine.jpg  

Gypsy Diesel conversion with 4x4-nissan-engine-2.jpg  

Gypsy Diesel conversion with 4x4-nissan-engine-3.jpg  

Gypsy Diesel conversion with 4x4-gearbox-1.jpg  

Gypsy Diesel conversion with 4x4-gearbox-2.jpg  

Old 11th November 2008, 14:55   #20

i have a gypsy in punjab that has a diesel engine in it (2wd now)

can you help me to get the new diesel engine on the RC ?
Old 11th November 2008, 16:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

@ Nahal - This Gypsy is WB registered. We are trying to get the diesel engine endorsed at the same RTO.
Old 12th November 2008, 12:27   #22
BHPian

Nahal - you need to get an orignal Tax invoice for purchase and fittment of the engine including the engine number, cubic capacity, etc. Contact your local RTO to find out what else they need for endorsing the engine on your RC. You just need to furnish these documents and fill up the relevant forms to get it endorsed. It would be more convenient to go through a local agent who may charge a bit extra but will save you a lot of visits to the RTO.
Old 12th November 2008, 19:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi, nice job, The adaptor plate looks .. Can I have a slightly bigger picture of the same?

Also, how does it feel now with 4wd high and low? Gradeability etc?

Congrats on your effort

Wrt the cops and RTO, the best bet would be to tell them that you got the job done in WB rather than NCR to avoid further complications.

But ensure your guy stamps the same engine number on the diesel engine as well, a common practice

The 1.3 MJD must be a good bet. Also, are you sure this engine develops only 55BHP and 10 kgm ? The Carb 1.3 develops 65BHP and 13kgm isnt it?

Last edited by headers : 12th November 2008 at 19:11.
Old 12th November 2008, 23:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
"But ensure your guy stamps the same engine number on the diesel engine as well, a common practice "
Is that possible and whats the good chance of getting spoofed??
Old 13th November 2008, 10:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

Dream On!!!!!

Quote:
The 1.3 MJD must be a good bet. Also, are you sure this engine develops only 55BHP and 10 kgm ? The Carb 1.3 develops 65BHP and 13kgm isnt it?

How you wish 13Kgm.....thats the XD4.9P League.

Carb 1.3 Gypsy 60BHP & 10Kgm@3300RPM

Last edited by ex670c : 13th November 2008 at 10:42.
Old 13th November 2008, 11:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Wrt the cops and RTO, the best bet would be to tell them that you got the job done in WB rather than NCR to avoid further complications.

But ensure your guy stamps the same engine number on the diesel engine as well, a common practice
Thanks for the tip. I want to try the legit way first. Your tips are very useful though.
From what I have found out in Delhi, if you are a cabbie and found running an after market diesel you car will be confiscated. For private owners they do not create any trouble.
Old 13th November 2008, 16:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
How you wish 13Kgm.....thats the XD4.9P League.

Carb 1.3 Gypsy 60BHP & 10Kgm@3300RPM
Arka, Am sure about the BHP part - Carb esteem is 65 BHP..Torque is around 11 kgm i guess..anyways thanks for your inputs, i see your post count increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Thanks for the tip. I want to try the legit way first. Your tips are very useful though.
From what I have found out in Delhi, if you are a cabbie and found running an after market diesel you car will be confiscated. For private owners they do not create any trouble.
Wonderful GoSlow, I'd love to drive your machine as well as understand how it feels now!
Old 14th November 2008, 09:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

Still Struggling!!!!

Quote:
Arka, Am sure about the BHP part - Carb esteem is 65 BHP..Torque is around 11 kgm i guess..anyways thanks for your inputs, i see your post count increase
Hi Vikram,

You talk about a GYPSY and mention ESTEEM Specs i.e same block and head but different cam-shaft.

Also BHP has something to do with engine RPM and Torque .

Regards,

Arka

PS - Now its time to increase your post count some more cheers:
Old 14th November 2008, 13:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Nissan Engine
and Gypsy King geabox mated to the engive via adapter plate.
GoSlow, congrats on a good diesel conversion job for the Gypsy, retaining 4x4 . The engine bay is pretty neat.
Could you please post clearer pics of the adapter plate : it seems bent in certain places.

Quote:
...Also, are you sure this engine develops only 55BHP and 10 kgm ? The Carb 1.3 develops 65BHP and 13kgm isnt it?
headers, the stock Gypsy 1.3 carb. engine developed 60 HP, I am not sure about the torque though (but, the 1.3 MPFI itself has only 10.5 kgm torque, so...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
...Carb 1.3 Gypsy 60BHP & 10Kgm@3300RPM

ok, time to increase my post count too .

The new 1.3 MPFI develops 10.5 kgm at 4500 rpm, so I doubt if the 1.3 carb. could give 10kgm at 3300rpm (which is pretty low rpm for a petrol engine). I think , for the 1.3 carb., it should be around 8 kgm at 4500rpm.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 14th November 2008 at 13:39.
Old 14th November 2008, 13:54   #30
BHPian

Soft Top Conversion pics

Hi all, the hard top is off and the new 2 seater soft top fitted. Good fun to drive in current weather!

As requested in earlier threads I will post some more pics of the adapter plate once I get under the car properly. I am not sure how much help it will be a you can hardly see it anyway. I will make it a point to try and remember to take pics of it at the next clutch change when the grearbox will be taken off (have run 42,00kms on the current one). Think that will be more helpful to everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Gypsy Diesel conversion with 4x4-gypsy-soft-t.jpg  

Gypsy Diesel conversion with 4x4-gypsy-rear-t.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks