Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2008, 14:50   #46
Senior - BHPian

actually xdp3 keep heating up, apparantly without any reason. Hence the nissan. Above all it gives about 18km to a liter. You know how the mileage is so important in rajasthan.
Old 28th November 2008, 14:57   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
actually xdp3 keep heating up, apparantly without any reason.
Have you ever drove on the sand dunes of western Rajasthan. It actually requires a lot of torque and often I feel even the XDB3 powerless. Also the engine heated up very soon, I though it is because I am still using the small rediator of MM540. I will also start working on propane (LPG) fumigation in XDB3 engine to increase it's power; but before that I have to I have to find a sollution to the heating problem. Can anybody give me some tips on it.
Old 28th November 2008, 16:04   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
a sollution to the heating problem. Can anybody give me some tips on it.
Can you explain what the temp gauge shows? Firstly Check your engine timing, get tappets adjusted before touching the radiator.
Old 28th November 2008, 17:13   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Can you explain what the temp gauge shows? Firstly Check your engine timing, get tappets adjusted before touching the radiator.
On roads, it is not an issue, and the heating meter is upto maximum 50%. But to climb a sand dune (of very very soft sand) you have to use the 1st or the 2nd gear and the maximum accelator. Here just with in 2 minutes, you will see the meter showing around 90% to 95% from the red line. Is it normal, it should not be for sure.

The worst thing is that I always have to do off road all alone so actually niether I how the other vehicle react, nor any expertise advice.
Old 28th November 2008, 17:22   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

First, flush and drain the radiator, add fresh coolant with water mix and do the sand dune again.

2. Get your radiator serviced, cleaned from the sand dust particles that clog up the breathing space.

3, Check your engine timing / pump fuel delivery

After each step try your sand dune again to see the difference in the engine temp!

happy and safe offroading
cheers
Old 28th November 2008, 17:33   #51
BHPian

Quote:
First, flush and drain the radiator, add fresh coolant with water mix and do the sand dune again.

2. Get your radiator serviced, cleaned from the sand dust particles that clog up the breathing space.

3, Check your engine timing / pump fuel delivery
Hi Headers, something going on in my mind...

1. My Jeep is recently built, complete repairing of radiator was being done, also the pump, new piston rings and all.
2. After rebuilt it, I have only covered 3000 Km.
3. I never put coolent, do you think it will effect.
4. I will however work on the above 3 points one by one but do not you think that the smallar radiator of MM540 is also a cause.

Thank you.
Old 28th November 2008, 19:34   #52
BHPian

Quote:
. I will also start working on propane (LPG) fumigation in XDB3 engine to increase it's power.
Thats something new. never heard of it before.. how does it work? what is the advantage/disadvantage of it? And what's the cost involved?

Thanks
Old 28th November 2008, 22:53   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wads78 View Post
Thats something new. never heard of it before.. how does it work? what is the advantage/disadvantage of it? And what's the cost involved?

Thanks
Its just like adding NoS kit to petrol engine. minus the negative effect that NOS has on engine if used extensively or improperly. Strangely In fact engine runs more efficiently and gives good mileage with least of emmission.
Old 28th November 2008, 23:48   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Its just like adding NoS kit to petrol engine. minus the negative effect that NOS has on engine if used extensively or improperly. Strangely In fact engine runs more efficiently and gives good mileage with least of emmission.
Cool.. NoS for Diesel engines wow!!. Does anyone has any pic of the setup?
Old 29th November 2008, 08:27   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Headers, something going on in my mind...
3. I never put coolent, do you think it will effect.
Kindly add coolant with water in the right mixture, mix it and fill your radiator. First Drain the radiator of the regular water though!

Quote:
Cool.. NoS for Diesel engines wow!!. Does anyone has any pic of the setup?
Quote:
Quote:
Check the thread by redmm340. He s got NOS in his diesel motor
Old 29th November 2008, 22:25   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kindly add coolant with water in the right mixture, mix it and fill your radiator. First Drain the radiator of the regular water though!

Check the thread by redmm340. He s got NOS in his diesel motor
Ofcourse diesel can be NOSed too, but i was answering the query asked in simplest of terms and example.
Old 30th November 2008, 12:09   #57
Senior - BHPian

In other parts of the world propane is used in turbo diesel applications. It gives similar power to NOS, it burns at a lower temperature, it tend not to foul motor oil.

Now, before you all go crazy, this is not a "propane is better than NOS" post. I am just presenting propane at an alternative since it is readily available in India and it works very well in a turbo diesel. Feel free to "Google" it.
Old 30th November 2008, 19:24   #58
Senior - BHPian

@DD: Yup I agree 100%

Do you have a step by step instruction to do propane on a diesel motor? I'd love to learn from it!
Old 30th November 2008, 20:01   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Now the fuel prices have nudged me in to converting my Gypsy to diesel as I did not want to queue up for hours to fill CNG. The most important priority for me was to retain the 4x4. After a lot of confusion and research I got the Nissan 1.7L diesel engine fitted, mated to the Gypsy King 5 speed gearbox. I was more inclined on the Toyota engines but my mechanic suggest against it as they are heavier engines and Gypsy is a light vehicle… plus he swore by the Nissan plant. The work was carried out in Mayapuri (New Delhi) under the supervision of my trusty mechanic. The suspension had to be raised to ensure adequate gap was maintained between the front diff and the sump. The power is 55hp @4800rpm and Torque is 10.6KgM@ 2800rpm (stats kindly provided by Jeepgeorge - thanks). The power on tarmac seems to be nearly the same as the 1.3L carb unit and the fuel economy is close to 18kmpl without AC and around 15kmpl with AC. I have been told that on a Gypsy the non AC economy should go up to around 21kmpl.
@ Goslow: Could you please give me the contact details of your mechanic so. Also does he do work on MM550's as well or only on maruti gypsys?

Hey guys
I am on the lookout for an Army MM550 XDB and restore it slowly and gradually

But at the same time I have another thought going on in my mind.
About 7 years back I had sold my Maruti Gypsy (1000cc) 4 Speed to a friend of mine and that friend still has the car with him, though he has not driven it in the past 2 years. Also the car is still in my name as he has not got it transferred. I have also talked to my friend and he's interested in selling it but has not quoted a price yet?

Now after reading this thread I started thinking what if I buy back my old car put a 5 speed gearbox, mate it with a diesel engine and be on my way for some off-roading. How does this sound? Also the car is registered in Faridabad

Now the ques

Whether I should do it or not?

How much should the conversion cost?

If at all I decide to buy how much should I pay. Its a 1997 model Maruti Gypsy HT (1000 cc)? No AC nothing and the car is not in driveable condition.

How expensive/ cheap would be the spares for the Maruti compared to the MM550?

What are the ease of availability of the spareparts for the Gypsy compared to the Mahindra?

Please advise?

Last edited by harjeev : 30th November 2008 at 20:20.
Old 30th November 2008, 21:13   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Whether I should do it or not?
MM550s are hard to find too. So you can buy back your own vehicle.

Quote:
How much should the conversion cost?
Goslow is the right chappie for that !

Quote:
If at all I decide to buy how much should I pay. Its a 1997 model Maruti Gypsy HT (1000 cc)? No AC nothing and the car is not in driveable condition.
around 70K

Quote:
How expensive/ cheap would be the spares for the Maruti compared to the MM550?
Gypsy spares are more expensive than the Mahindra spares generally

Quote:
What are the ease of availability of the spareparts for the Gypsy compared to the Mahindra?
Some parts are hard to find. The Gypsy is a different kind of vehicle compared to the Mahindra. I own both [a 97 King and a 89 540] and find each has its own strenghts and weaknesses.

Ultimately, its how you'd want to build your vehicle and for what purpose!

Most Viewed