Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2017, 23:27   #301
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
That is because this is an Australia based firm and there are no Gypsies there.

So I spoke to Zac today. He has recommended going for the combo - leaves as well as shocks, as the combo works much better than just going for one of these. Now comes the shocker - the set would cost somewhere in the range of 80K So, plans on hold for now!!
Both SJ 410 & 413 versions were in fact sold in the Australian market and were known as Suzuki Sierra (If you notice Suzuki Sierra does come up as an option in the drop down menu on the Ironman website).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Boss! By Gosh and By Golly 80K! Man!

I ll get this Gypsy's leaf springs changed to brand new ones both front and rear for around 6000 Rupees max and live with its foibles!

I like my Gypsy the way it is, thank you!

By the way Cool_dube, the Maruti Gypsy is available in New Zealand and is called as the Suzuki Farm worker...

I havent seen any in Rural Australia though and I havent heard or read of the Gypsy's availability in Australia.
One interesting snippet; the Farm worker which is currently on sales in New Zealand market can not be registered for use on public highways as it does not meet the crash safety norms and can only be used on farms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
For good ride you can try a combo of CFL and bilstiens also. Stick to soft version of CFL and not race/rally version. As long as one is doing normal trail drives, CFL's are pretty much safe. Extreme offroad and modifications (SPOA) etc is where it might have issues. Might work out cheaper also, though iron man kit is super comfy, though price is steep.
Hi Jaggu,

I have been researching the Bilstein option for a few months now but have not been able to see anything on the net regarding their performance on the Samurai/Gypsy.

What I really like about them is their monotube design which is much superior to the conventional twin tube design.

I’m actually considering stock leaf spring set up & Bilstein shocks and have zeroed in on these (Bilstein # 24-012157 Front Shocks & Bilstein # 24-012164 Rear Shocks).

Out here the Bilstein would cost me Rs. 30,000 (much less than Ironman). I believe Pete’s are the authorized distributors for Bilstein in Indian market.

What is your opinion about this option in terms of how will it pan out in terms of ride comfort/handling etc.?

Thank you,
Vikram
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 12:16   #302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post

What is your opinion about this option in terms of how will it pan out in terms of ride comfort/handling etc.?

Thank you,
Vikram
They work well as long as the part is matching with the car, weight is an important criteria along with usage (road or competition). Gypsy i had was running bilstiens up front and it made a huge difference in the way the car handled, especially the rough section, but that was a heavily modified long travel suspension than khan_sultan had built.

All the unwanted bobbing is cut thanks to the progressive damping bilstiens have.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 17:07   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A friend from Kerala and an avid off-roader had used this in his gypsy
Thanks Jaggu. Did he have the entire kit on his Gypsy viz. leafs, shocks, U-bolts et al?
Old 12th January 2017, 18:58   #304
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Jaggu. Did he have the entire kit on his Gypsy viz. leafs, shocks, U-bolts et al?
Yes this was the complete kit which included springs, shocks and bushes and it had a 2" lift also if i remember correct.
Old 15th January 2017, 01:34   #305
BHPian

Quote:
They work well as long as the part is matching with the car, weight is an important criteria along with usage (road or competition). Gypsy i had was running bilstiens up front and it made a huge difference in the way the car handled, especially the rough section, but that was a heavily modified long travel suspension than khan_sultan had built.

All the unwanted bobbing is cut thanks to the progressive damping bilstiens have.
Jaggu, thank you for your feedback.

I had used the vehicle selection tool on Bilstein's US website to select the shocks and the vehicle selected was the 1995 Suzuki Samurai that was the last (carburetted) SJ413 Suzuki Samurai sold in North America. Other than the short wheel base and the fact that it was not fuel injected everything else was common with the current MG 413W so hopefully these will work.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-bilstein.jpg  

Old 19th January 2017, 10:04   #306
BHPian

I bumped into an ad in Amazon.in regarding a plug in chip for better performance for Gypsy. Its claiming 35% more power and 25%more torque. Sounds cool but can it be trusted to grant access to the heart of my car? Here's the link
http://www.amazon.in/Petrol-Torque-T...s=maruti+gypsy

Edit: Saw a video proving against their claims..

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd January 2017 at 15:38. Reason: typo
Old 19th January 2017, 22:25   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul258 View Post
I bumped into an ad in Amazon.in regarding a plug in chip for batter performance for Gypsy. Its claiming 35% more power and 25%more torque. Sounds cool but can it be trusted to grant access to the heart of my car? Here's the link
http://www.amazon.in/Petrol-Torque-Tuning-Yellow-Maruti-MG-410/dp/B01C01F0J2/ref=sr_1_52?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1484808963&sr =1-52&keywords=maruti+gypsy
Lol. Does the MG 410 even have an ECU?

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd January 2017 at 19:49. Reason: Please avoid Quoting Youtube links for replies. Thanks.
Old 21st January 2017, 19:26   #308
Senior - BHPian

Finally 2 long-pending items taken care of...
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-pic1.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-pic2.jpg  

cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2017, 08:01   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally 2 long-pending items taken care of...
Hey Rahul,
Looks very nice. How are these new mirrors?
Did they align with the existing holes or did you have to drill new ones?
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 22nd January 2017, 14:43   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Rahul,
Looks very nice. How are these new mirrors?
Did they align with the existing holes or did you have to drill new ones?
Thanks Deepak. The new mirrors are fabulous - thanks to Vikram for the pointers. The driver side one was a perfect fit but of course I had to get holes drilled for the other side. Overall, an awesome buy!

I am having an issue with the clock though. It resets itself everytime I start the vehicle after a few hours. Interesting part is that the time is retained for a few minutes i.e. if I switch the power supply off and then back on after a few minutes, no reset! Not sure what the issue is!!

Last edited by cool_dube : 22nd January 2017 at 14:49.
Old 22nd January 2017, 17:27   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am having an issue with the clock though. It resets itself everytime I start the vehicle after a few hours. Interesting part is that the time is retained for a few minutes i.e. if I switch the power supply off and then back on after a few minutes, no reset! Not sure what the issue is!!
Check two things

1. Is the clock wired directly to the battery? In case it is not then connect it direct to the battery.

2. In case the clock has a battery it may be on its last legs, changing may solve the problem.

In case it is neither of the two above, then spike generated while starting is the culprit. A fair sized capacitor (which will smooth/suppress the power spike) across the clock power circuit will solve it.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 13:10   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1. Is the clock wired directly to the battery? In case it is not then connect it direct to the battery.
Would it not stay ON 24x7 if connected directly to the battery? I would want to avoid that, if I can.

Quote:
2. In case the clock has a battery it may be on its last legs, changing may solve the problem.
I am not sure about this. In case it does not, how would it "remember" the set time?

Quote:
In case it is neither of the two above, then spike generated while starting is the culprit
Unlikely, since the reset can be seen just by tuning on the ACC and not necessarily cranking the engine.
Old 5th March 2017, 20:49   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any input on changing the seatbelts? Any other car's seat belts likely to fit?
Not sure if it still helps you, Omni and Gypsy have same part number for seat belts.

Part number: 99000M99161
Part name: Kit Seat Belt Fr (L&R)
Compatibility: Omni & Gypsy
MRP: Rs. 1298

Quote:
Thinking of putting in new art leather seat covers - there are only the front seats. I've chucked out the rear seat completely so it is a large loading bay now.
For stock Gypsy seats, there is MGA too(if you wish).

Part Number: 990J0M830B3-010
Part Name: Seat Cover PU BLACK GYPSY
MRP: Rs.3800

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2017, 05:37   #314
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Not sure if it still helps you, Omni and Gypsy have same part number for seat belts.

Part number: 99000M99161
Part name: Kit Seat Belt Fr (L&R)
Compatibility: Omni & Gypsy
MRP: Rs. 1298

For stock Gypsy seats, there is MGA too(if you wish).

Part Number: 990J0M830B3-010
Part Name: Seat Cover PU BLACK GYPSY
MRP: Rs.3800

Regards,
Shashi
Thanks Shashi.
Any inputs on leak-proofing the Gypsy hardtop?
Thats one thing I must do before the monsoons begin!
My Gypsy leaks every time it undergoes a car wash and the front footwells are sodden with water...
Im wondering if it is the main windshield frame OR the drainage grille between the bonnet and windshield OR whether it is the door and window beadings...
Old 12th March 2017, 13:29   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Shashi.
Any inputs on leak-proofing the Gypsy hardtop?
Thats one thing I must do before the monsoons begin!
My Gypsy leaks every time it undergoes a car wash and the front footwells are sodden with water...
Im wondering if it is the main windshield frame OR the drainage grille between the bonnet and windshield OR whether it is the door and window beadings...
The gap between the foldable windscreen and the bonnet is one. The drainage grill also needs to be taped. This will stop the water coming in to the footwell area.
During monsoons, remove the drain plug from the driver and passenger side. Use plastic mats during monsoon. I was using the soft cloth type mats and the first rains would ensure that they are soaking wet.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks