Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2018, 11:16   #421
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Hi guys,
I have recently installed AC in my king (sanden 507) where the condenser is in front of the radiator. There are electric fans on both condenser and radiator. Now the car overheats so quickly that i'm barely able to drive an hour with AC during the hottest time of the day.

As changing the position of the condenser would be my last resort, my mechanic has advised to remove the thermostat from the radiator for better coolant flow during summers and reinstalling it during winters. Is this a viable solution for few months?

The second option would be to change the radiator without much tinkering. Which is the best radiator to upgrade to? Are there any performance radiators available for the king in our market like on of these http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/suzuk...-radiator.html which is a direct fit?

The third option is to remove the condenser fan which is in its front side(blowing air towards it) and install a new one behind it (which pulls the air) as this will increase the airflow towards the radiator.

What will you suggest??
Old 1st June 2018, 12:04   #422
BHPian

Hey Aroy & Vikram Arya,

Thanks so much for the quick responses. Much appreciated. I will pass on the same to my friend and keep you updated on the progress.

Cheers,
SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul258 View Post
Hi guys,
I have recently installed AC in my king (sanden 507) where the condenser is in front of the radiator. There are electric fans on both condenser and radiator. Now the car overheats so quickly that i'm barely able to drive an hour with AC during the hottest time of the day.

As changing the position of the condenser would be my last resort, my mechanic has advised to remove the thermostat from the radiator for better coolant flow during summers and reinstalling it during winters. Is this a viable solution for few months?

The second option would be to change the radiator without much tinkering. Which is the best radiator to upgrade to? Are there any performance radiators available for the king in our market like on of these http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/suzuk...-radiator.html which is a direct fit?

The third option is to remove the condenser fan which is in its front side(blowing air towards it) and install a new one behind it (which pulls the air) as this will increase the airflow towards the radiator.

What will you suggest??
Hi Raul,
I faced the same problem many, many moons ago on my 1996 Gypsy King (Carb). I did exactly what your mechanic has suggested (removed the thermostat) and it helped quite a bit but did not solve the problem entirely.
I then changed the radiator to a "specially" built 4 core copper radiator made by Lawrence Radiators, but that did not help matters either. In fact, it made it worse!!
I finally went to Mr. Rao (4 Seasons in Bombay) who fixed a slightly smaller water pump pulley so that the pump would run faster (His theory). He also fitted a fan with more blades for the radiator. These two "fixes" helped but again, did not solve the problem.
In those days, it was almost impossible to find the thin electric fans. I am surprised that even with these fans you are still facing the over heating issue.
Even Maruti were not able to solve the problem apart from telling me to remove the A.C.
I finally sold the Gypsy because of this issue.

Regards,
SS

Last edited by benbsb29 : 4th June 2018 at 11:30. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
Old 1st June 2018, 12:36   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
In those days, it was almost impossible to find the thin electric fans. I am surprised that even with these fans you are still facing the over heating issue.
Even Maruti were not able to solve the problem apart from telling me to remove the A.C.
I finally sold the Gypsy because of this issue.

Regards,
SS
Hi san,
Sad to hear that you had to sell your Gypsy.
I'm presently on the hunt for a suitable replacement radiator. I'm also thinking of installing an air scoop right above the radiator to redirect the air flow. This means i'll have to cut the bonnet in the front which will look awkward. Will post the updates as it happens
Old 7th June 2018, 10:34   #424
BHPian

So I have moved the condenser from the front of the radiator to the area below the passenger side of the vehicle. Although the overheating has stopped, the AC cooling efficiency has come down and there is a weird sound after turning on the AC.
Old 13th August 2018, 09:29   #425

Hi BHPians,

At last I managed to get in touch with my college crush - The Gypsy King. Or may be The Gypsy Queen.

I'm a would-be off-roader looking for your valuable input on soft tops. Though my Gypsy comes with the soft top, I'm looking for a better option. I recently came across these two pictures online - please find the attachments. And it'll be a great help if any of you could guide me as to where I can buy these two soft tops. Also I'm looking for the best workshops where I can get my Gypsy King modified, in the near future. For your information, I'm from Bangalore. Any contact number or address could be very useful.

I'll appreciate every piece of help you offer. Thanks, a shipload.

cheers,
Satis
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-images-1.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-proautomods-noida.jpg  

Old 14th August 2018, 11:24   #426
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I had a MG410 91 model Civilian Gypsy which was converted to Nissan Diesel (CD17) engine mated with Isuzu GB in 1995 for daily use and to be on easy on pocket, which it did till now.
Did major restoration in 2014 which included installation of brand new body shell and ultimately converted to MG413W by changing rear differential and tubes to wide track ones but retained the diesel engine sans 4x4.

And last to last week we ultimately went back to Petrol version and plonked in Baleno engine (1.6L) mated with MG413W Gypsy GB. Also installed the front differential along 4x4 GB as well.

The work completed last Saturday and the GYP is working perfectly till 80 kmph. But it is taking forever time to from 80kmph to 90-95 kmph and unable to reach 100kmph mark even keeping the A pedal pressed to the floor.
Is it normal?

My thoughts and reason for going for the Baleno engine was to get more power and i expected that it would go easily above 120 kmph or so with the bigger heart.

I am due to visit my mechanic this weekend again to clear some other small niggles.

Need help from fellow members to any support on this issue.

Regards,
Shubham
Old 23rd August 2018, 19:29   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satis View Post
Hi BHPians,

At last I managed to get in touch with my college crush - The Gypsy King. Or may be The Gypsy Queen.

I'm a would-be off-roader looking for your valuable input on soft tops. Though my Gypsy comes with the soft top, I'm looking for a better option. I recently came across these two pictures online - please find the attachments. And it'll be a great help if any of you could guide me as to where I can buy these two soft tops. Also I'm looking for the best workshops where I can get my Gypsy King modified, in the near future. For your information, I'm from Bangalore. Any contact number or address could be very useful.

I'll appreciate every piece of help you offer. Thanks, a shipload.

cheers,
Satis

Hi, these are modified soft tops and are not available off the shelf anywhere. There are some good soft top makers in JC road( Ask anyone there). You would have to get there and show them the pic of the design who want, they will do it and even fix it for you. They might charge about 5 to 6k for type on the white gypsy pic you sent.

All the best.
sharybold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 10:29   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniq62 View Post
Hello everyone,

I had a MG410 91 model Civilian Gypsy...........

And last to last week we ultimately went back to Petrol version and plonked in Baleno engine (1.6L) mated with MG413W Gypsy GB. Also installed the front differential along 4x4 GB as well.

The work completed last Saturday and the GYP is working perfectly till 80 kmph. But it is taking forever time to from 80kmph to 90-95 kmph and unable to reach 100kmph mark even keeping the A pedal pressed to the floor.
Is it normal?

My thoughts and reason for going for the Baleno engine was to get more power and i expected that it would go easily above 120 kmph or so with the bigger heart.

Regards,
Shubham
Baleno 1.6 engine revs to almost 6,000 RPM, so there should not be any problem.

First of all do you have a Tachometer? (If not install one). If so what is the RPM at 80km/h?
. If it is around 5,500, then you have to check the gear ratios in the GB and differentials.
. If it is around 4,000, then the engine is not tuned properly.

This has been done previously, so read up and contact the owners.

https://www.cartoq.com/5-tastefully-...ki-gypsy-suvs/
Old 27th August 2018, 11:59   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharybold View Post
Hi, these are modified soft tops and are not available off the shelf anywhere. There are some good soft top makers in JC road( Ask anyone there). You would have to get there and show them the pic of the design who want, they will do it and even fix it for you. They might charge about 5 to 6k for type on the white gypsy pic you sent.

All the best.
Hi Sharybold,

Thanks so much. It's really encouraging to know that custom soft tops can be made in JC road. Love Bengaluru.

Cheers,
Satis
Old 2nd September 2018, 08:01   #430
BHPian

I live in the Himalayas and own a 410w circa 1996. With the winters approaching and me getting old I was wondering if it's possible to fit a heater (for slightly warm air) that works with the inbuilt blower mechanism? Vehicles from this era like the Maruti 800 and the Maruti van did have this piece of kit inbuilt (non AC models). Any ideas / links?

P.S. I do not have the need for an ac. One the 410w is underpowered as it is and Two it doesn't get warm enough where I live.

Last edited by antihero : 2nd September 2018 at 08:02.
Old 3rd September 2018, 06:51   #431
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
I live in the Himalayas and own a 410w circa 1996. With the winters approaching and me getting old I was wondering if it's possible to fit a heater (for slightly warm air) that works with the inbuilt blower mechanism? Vehicles from this era like the Maruti 800 and the Maruti van did have this piece of kit inbuilt (non AC models). Any ideas / links?

P.S. I do not have the need for an ac. One the 410w is underpowered as it is and Two it doesn't get warm enough where I live.
Should be possible, try the heater that comes on the new Gypsy with AC repair shops. When I got my AC fitted, they removed the OEM heater and blower. I plan to take off the AC and go back to the original setup else would have given you mine. If you don't get locally, here's the number of the guy at Delhi whom I found Ok for AC installation - 98111 48734 - Satnam Singh. He might be able to help you.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 07:18   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Should be possible, try the heater that comes on the new Gypsy with AC repair shops. When I got my AC fitted, they removed the OEM heater and blower. I plan to take off the AC and go back to the original setup else would have given you mine. If you don't get locally, here's the number of the guy at Delhi whom I found Ok for AC installation - 98111 48734 - Satnam Singh. He might be able to help you.
Hey Turbanator?
So, are you saying that your Gypsy had a heater??
Is this something specific to Gypsies sold in North India?
My Gypsy does not seem to have a heater.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 3rd September 2018, 13:41   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
they removed the OEM heater and blower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Turbanator?
Cheers,
Deepak
Thank you for the contact. i will get in touch with him. Although I tend to agree with Deepak that the Gypsy never came with a heater in the 410 or 413 Avatar. Only with a blower. However, I could be wrong. Anyone wanna weigh in on this? Someone with a new Gypsy ?
Old 3rd September 2018, 13:50   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Turbanator?
Cheers,
Deepak
When I bought my M800 in 1991, the base model had neither AC nor heater. I paid 1,600 extra for the heater - it is an attachment to the blower and runs off the cooling water. In M800 the blower was designed to attach both heater and AC.

May be Maruti started installing heaters as default in later models, but you can always get it installed. Just talk to nearest Maruti workshop or some knowledgeable person in FNG.
Old 3rd September 2018, 14:12   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
Someone with a new Gypsy ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
May be Maruti started installing heaters as default in later models
antihero, Aroy,
I do have a 2018 Gypsy and it does not have a heater
Hence, am wondering, if this is something for NI only?
Cheers,
Deepak

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks