Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2009, 09:57   #76
Senior - BHPian

Part VI

Since I am able to go to the workshop only in the weekends, I did miss some crucial part of the process and needless to mention many snaps too. Anyways, just to continue on the build process, new battery mounts were put up. Meanwhile the engine also got cleaned up and was in much better look. Brand new radiator was installed along with new fan and accompanying parts, all straight from the company. New fuel lines were done up. Some more snaps here.

New battery mount
The story of my jeep: MM 440-battery_mount.jpg

The 'big brother' looking at its 'cousin'
The story of my jeep: MM 440-bluecj.jpg

Night 'rider'
The story of my jeep: MM 440-work_night.jpg

The engine bay
The story of my jeep: MM 440-engbay_new.jpg

New radiator
The story of my jeep: MM 440-radiator1.jpg

The cleaned engine
The story of my jeep: MM 440-isuzu_new1.jpg
The story of my jeep: MM 440-isuzu_new2.jpg

It was one fine afternoon, while I was in office, I got a call from Jas and he said ‘Do you want to listen how the engine of your jeep sounds?’ I was bit dumbstruck for few seconds! What a moment, the engine getting started for the 1st time! Though it was not very clear in the cell, but still good enough to get some idea about the roar. Such an amazing feeling, very difficult to explain. The engine was in start condition almost, only the fuel was poured, some minor connections attached, and it jumped into life.

Initially I had a thought to go for a free-flow kind of exhaust. But later on it was scrapped because of the arising complexity of carb adjustment etc. Not to mention the cost of good Magnaflow type of exhaust.
Next weekend I hurried to the workshop to hear the engine physically. We tried two types of silencers, both brand new, finally choosing this one as shown vaguely, as the sound was much better. The last part of the exhaust system is missing as of now and will be attached very soon for complete finish.
The story of my jeep: MM 440-exhaust_test.jpg

Also there was a sweet addition in the gearbox. The 4x4 lever was in place! Thanks to Uncle ji, who got it fabricated from Ludhiana, when he went home.
The story of my jeep: MM 440-gbox_new.jpg

While all these things were getting done, slowly some restlessness was growing inside me (you simply can’t help it), as to when I could see the jeep in moving condition for the 1st time. Just before last weekend, I was informed that the state has almost been reached barring few minor glitches in the carb, to be sorted out in a day or two. And then on Saturday noon, Jas told me that the jeep was in ‘up and running’ condition and I can go to drive it out to see how it is behaving! Oh boy, I wish I had the magic shoes to reach the workshop right at that instant! Held on the excitement for an hour more and landed at the place. The original Minda keys were already in the ignition point. Jumped into the seat, turned on the keys and there you go, the sound of life! Moved the vehicle back and forth couple of times within the workshop premise. And then it was taken out to the road when M arrived. The next 10 minutes was still like dream to me. I simply can’t explain how it felt to drive it 1st time. It was a mix of excitement, joy, pride and some fear too! Thankfully wasn’t as scary as I thought a jeep driving would be. I really wanted to take a longer ride, but since there was no horn and seat belt and few parts were still not fixed, I didn’t take the plunge. When M was driving, I thought I would take some video clip, but then once jeep started running, I was busy in simply grabbing the b-piller to keep me in place while seating on the back (my wife was seating in the front left seat)! It was a scene to watch. The area is full of industries and small companies. When an old open jeep, in this condition, was roaring at a significant speed (the dash was dismantled so speedometer wasn’t there, but I guess around 60+) through the road, people in the surrounding were in a state of surprise, shock and bit of amuse, as appeared from their facial expressions! I actually realized there was not much of need of a horn, since the sound was good enough to signal to the ‘obstacles’ ahead. Anyways, initial feedback was some minor adjustment is required to be done in the clutch.

That was all the happenings till now. So whatever happens next, will share on current basis.

Now that the jeep is in running condition, next will be to find some new tyres (along with rims) for the vehicle as it has a more powerful engine now. And fixing some small parts here and there, we will be ready for a proper test phase.
Before signing off, here are some latest pics from last weekend:

The carb looks clean now
The story of my jeep: MM 440-carb_cleand2.jpg

And that’s me ‘pretending’ to inspect whats the state under the hood
The story of my jeep: MM 440-carb_cleaned.jpg

The jeep standing ‘stall’
The story of my jeep: MM 440-frnt_now.jpg

Wish to share some recent updates very soon in future...
(Ankit & Harjeev, I guess around a month more to completion, because i don't want to rush up the things)
- Best regards,

Last edited by Kandisa : 23rd January 2009 at 09:59.
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:06   #77
Senior - BHPian

Kandisa,

The passion of your update cannot be missed out! That Jeep is coming out good.
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:33   #78
BHPian

Looking forward to see the vehicle on road. Is there a paint job happening also?
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:53   #79
BHPian

Somen if you dont drive to the (at least the assembly point) 25th OTR, I will run you over with my gypsy!

I have not felt this way before about any one elses jeep. I am so excited to see it in flesh and hear the sound on the engine.

Excellent work Bro.

@ Jes & Mandeep - you have our heart felt gratitude for helping out a brother jeeper with so much passion!
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:53   #80
BHPian

Kandisa,

Awesome update. Do let me know when you take your jeep on a trial off roading trip "You would need a camera man"

cheers:
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:45   #81
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot guys for the appreciation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
...The passion of your update cannot be missed out! That Jeep is coming out good.
Actually i think, going for an old jeep and getting it back to glory doesn't make much sense at the 1st place if the passion part is missing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonie View Post
Is there a paint job happening also?.
Off course, but thats at the last stage, when we will be dead sure that nothing else needs to be done to the jeep for mechanical and body perfection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Do let me know when you take your jeep on a trial off roading trip "You would need a camera man"
Oh surely, just hold on for some more time. Actually there is no seat at the back at the moment. So that made taking snaps more difficult for me while the jeep was charging forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Somen if you dont drive to the (at least the assembly point) 25th OTR, I will run you over with my gypsy!
Oh, I am afraid to say, you have to wait for some more time buddy before it is taken to OTR. And regarding 25th, i most probably can't make it this time. But i can assure the wait will result in seeing a better piece of machine. So spare me for the time being, lol.

Quote:
I have not felt this way before about any one elses jeep.
Ankit, thats a priceless comment. I am honoured, if my narration was able to express the inner feelings.
Quote:
I am so excited to see it in flesh and hear the sound on the engine.
Actually, being a petrol jeep, this is relatively much silent. But yeah, the growl is catching, once it picks up.
Quote:
@ Jes & Mandeep - you have our heart felt gratitude for helping out a brother jeeper with so much passion!
Well, this thread wouldn't have existed had these amazing people not been there!

-best regards,
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:01   #82
Senior - BHPian

Somuen
Congrats on the completion of the work. Now with the 440 in drivable mode I think that all the mechanicals have been sorted out Right? Are the differentials done?

Would be great to see your jeep in a month
Also tell me that now the mechanicals have been sorted out what extra mods are you planning on your 440 that it would take a month. As I think that the paint job should take max a week to 10 days and add another 5 days for extra stuff like lighting, electrical etc etc. Why that additinal time?

Last edited by harjeev : 23rd January 2009 at 12:04.
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:31   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Somuen
Congrats on the completion of the work. Now with the 440 in drivable mode I think that all the mechanicals have been sorted out Right? Are the differentials done?

Also tell me that now the mechanicals have been sorted out what extra mods are you planning on your 440 that it would take a month. As I think that the paint job should take max a week to 10 days and add another 5 days for extra stuff like lighting, electrical etc etc. Why that additinal time?
Well we can't say that the work is complete. Just that the jeep has come to a running condition. Basically our plan was to get the initial must-do items so that the jeep can be run and then detailing on each small area as per the feedback. Now that the running state has been achieved, we will drive it for some time to see its behaviour. I am sure some more fine tuning will be necessary for mechanical perfection. e.g. steering is an area where some attention is needed. Besides, the gearbox and engine may be required to open up again if needed. Yeah the differentials have been done.
Adding to your time estimate (10+5 days), add some days more for the running test and not to mention, the denting, where some of the things need to be taken care of, particularly the rear floor, windshield joint etc. Need to procure a proper set of rims and tyres also. There will not be much of cosmetic modification, but slight changes here and there. Lastly, since i am occupied in the weekdays, i am able to go to the workshop only in the weekends. So that also is likely to prolong the thing.
-regards,
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:36   #84
BHPian

Great writeup Kandisa.. Congrats on this journey to achieve a perfect 4X4 as per your requirements.

Do share some videos of the your amazing jeep, how it sounds lets hear it all.

What colors you have chosen for your pride possession, and what all you plan to do with it exteriors and interiors wise. Please share.
Old 25th January 2009, 15:41   #85
BHPian

well harjeev..since i do things myself..i am waiting for my fabricator to come back then we will be doing some bodywork and fabrications..then the paint..that also i need to be present there..since i broke my ankle yesterday..i guess i will be able to walk with plaster in few days..so will kick start the work again..
Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Somuen

Old 26th January 2009, 11:51   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
well harjeev..since i do things myself..i am waiting for my fabricator to come back then we will be doing some bodywork and fabrications..then the paint..that also i need to be present there..since i broke my ankle yesterday..i guess i will be able to walk with plaster in few days..so will kick start the work again..
Mandeep sir, sorryto hear about your ankle. We missed you at the OTR! Hope to see you in action again soon!

Cheers
Ankit
Old 26th January 2009, 19:24   #87
BHPian

hey goslow..yup..missed the otr this time..i guess will be missing few now..i'm more concerned about my rd which sustained few injuries..not worried about my ankle..i wish i had a gun to blast off that freak who jumped out of no where and landed on me and i lost my balance.my bike means everything to me and so does my jeeps.anyhow..will surely try to come next but right now kandisa's jeep is on my mind.hey..you take my number and be in touch..its 9871044665.sms your number before calling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Mandeep sir, sorryto hear about your ankle. We missed you at the OTR! Hope to see you in action again soon!

Cheers
Ankit
Old 26th January 2009, 22:07   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Take care Man
Too bad to hear about your bike
and about you ankle too. I am also more worried about the Rd350.
Your ankle will get ok I know that.

P.S. I hope its not serious.
this time I am talking about your ankle.
Lets find that jerk and give him a lesson or two about driving, Jeepers style
Get well soon.
Old 27th January 2009, 09:37   #89
BHPian

Quote:
hey goslow..yup..missed the otr this time..i guess will be missing few now..i'm more concerned about my rd which sustained few injuries..not worried about my ankle..i wish i had a gun to blast off that freak who jumped out of no where and landed on me and i lost my balance.my bike means everything to me and so does my jeeps.anyhow..will surely try to come next but right now kandisa's jeep is on my mind.hey..you take my number and be in touch..its ****.sms your number before calling.
Hi Mandeep, you have a RD350 as well!!! I have old 1978 Yezdi D250 Classic. It is sitting in gurgaon rotting. Plan to restore it as well someday. Will sms before calling.

wish you a speedy recovery buddy!
Old 27th January 2009, 10:28   #90
Senior - BHPian

Oh man, really sorry to hear about the incidence! And that too on a day when we had the 1st proper ride on the jeep on the road! Get well soon buddy and take a proper rest.

For update, guys, last saturday we took the jeep to the road for a proper ride. 1st we went to the nearest petrol pump for fuelling and a very expected 'funny' incidence happened. Seeing the jeep entering the pump, the guy at the diesel counter shouted and signalled us to go towards him as we were heading to the petrol one! After telling him couple of times that the jeep takes petrol only, he settled down
Then we took the road to a nearby garage where the last part of the exhaust was to be welded. The jeep was comfortably cruising around 80. Jas was with us in his Zen for a speed comparison, since the metres are missing in the jeep. It was satisfactory ,though there are still rooms for further improvement, which we can see later. The clutch was really light (in a jeep!!!), gear-shift as expected was pretty smooth. The traction in the 1st gear was quite good even in 2wd. There was no leakage anywhere after around a 30 minutes drive. No vibration while standstill. Once the gearbox area gets covered up, it will further improve. Steering was light, though it will be bit heavier once the new tyres are mounted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Great writeup Kandisa.. Congrats on this journey to achieve a perfect 4X4 as per your requirements.
Do share some videos of the your amazing jeep, how it sounds lets hear it all.
What colors you have chosen for your pride possession, and what all you plan to do with it exteriors and interiors wise. Please share.
Thanks a lot. Hope it will fulfil the requirement properly when finished. The color thing has not yet been finalized, however we have been thinking of something in the gray shade. Nothing much of scope to do in the interior, its a jeep afterall, and also there is not much of space in the dashboard. There wil be small add-ons like may be a wider rear-view mirror, one or two extra lights, better seats (have to find a pair) and seatbelts etc. For the exterior, tentatively small modifications in the tail-gate, top (various options are being worked out), a basic roll cage etc. Actually for me money is a huge contraint, and we want to get the essential things done first, then if we are left with some amount, will go for the other modifications.
Will try to put some pics and videos (probably) very soon.
-regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks