Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2009, 16:15   #46
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
You can get the Transceiver in Mayapuri @ 1400 RS, it comes with Receiver, Knobs and Flexible Aluminum Antenna (Foldable to avoid any damage)
Would you be kind enough to check what kind of a unit comes to speak into and the speaker? My car just seems to have the unit with the antenna. For whatever its worth might as well get this working if possible. Useful when you are out in the wilderness

We have transceiver sets for the biking group. Might as well get ones for the Jeeps. We have one pair of motorola handhelds but the battery doesn't last long. Its better to have something wired to the car battery.

Thanks
Old 24th July 2009, 16:18   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hi TramWay,

You can get the Transceiver in Mayapuri @ 1400 RS, it comes with Receiver, Knobs and Flexible Aluminum Antenna (Foldable to avoid any damage). I dont whether it works or not because i did not try to catch Army Signals. But if you want i can source one for you .
Kool, I'm very much interested if they are found in working condition. At least if i can get a walkie talkie from those guys, It will be great.

Let me know when you are visiting Mayapuri next time, so i can request you to get me one.
Old 24th July 2009, 16:31   #48
DKG
Senior - BHPian

A bit OT but talking about transceivers it reminds me of interesting times as a kid when I had managed to get an FM radio that caught air traffic control, the local police and the CRPF. You can imagine my excitement. The thrill of listening into something forbidden.

Often the CRPF turned on their radio late in the night. I would wake up excitedly and sit by the radio with pen and paper. Decoding all the messages from the Alfa Bravo Charlie codes I was disgusted to discover they mainly used the radio to take inventory of linen sent from Banjara Hills to Chandrayangutta for washing !!!
Old 24th July 2009, 17:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

DKG,
You have got a very good looking jeep. I can comfortably say no body can match the workmanship levels seen in hyderabad in terms of jeep. Not one, not two, ...so many good looking examples!!!

Your decision on petrol is good. 3b lost its soul when M&M plonked diesel in it. Since you are in Jeep mecca you should be able to maintain the petrol engine pretty well.

Diesel engine- Headace due to excessive noise /Jeep Petrol engine- headace due to excessive care required till it really sets in! You made the second choice as this is not permanent.

p.s- Sometimes i also get carried away by the thought of plonking a M&M petrol and make my 540 and 440. But then i prefer the noisy headace:-)
Old 25th July 2009, 00:33   #50
BHPian

DKG,

I absolutely agree with you for putting hurricane engine back, where it was designed to be. As I was reading through the thread, it brought back childhood memories of traveling long distances in this Jeep.

I can recall the mellow exhaust notes of hurricane engine in my ears. Its so sweet and has a hollow tinge in it. Zillion times better than any modern diesel (forget about that of the tractor engine).

And I think you are starting something here on Team BHP. Seriously. I think many of us are going to be inspired here. Since a Jeep is not going to be a primary ride, what harm is there if we splurge on gasoline a bit.

Also, I think the petrol engine is a lot lighter than the diesel.
Old 27th July 2009, 10:30   #51
Senior - BHPian

DKG:Its fabulous looking jeep that you own.
What will be the total cost of the jeep to restore it to its original petrol version?
Old 27th July 2009, 12:15   #52
BHPian

What a sight for sore eyes

COngrats DKG. You have picked up something really nice. Wish you many happy vibration free petrol miles on the road and some smashing trailing off it
Old 27th July 2009, 15:09   #53
BHPian

DKG , i saw this very same jeep outside my flat last week twice , i just could not stop lusting & appreciating on the restoration . Good luck and Happy OTR's
Old 27th July 2009, 17:56   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on a surprisingly clean Jeep. So well detailed, I am shocked. You can lose the yellow 4X4 plate up front

Looking forward to the petrol engine going in (I definitely agree with you, there is no other option for our tastes). Perhaps a set of the earlier WW2 style tail lights will look good.

Wish you many years of happy Jeeping ahead.
Old 27th July 2009, 18:35   #55
Senior - BHPian

Now I think I can surely say after seeing those pictures that my brother being adamant & single minded about acquiring a WILLYS & the stuff like the high bonnet, the low bonnet & related info is making sense.. now I should also help him in scouting for one. That looks a good addition. thanks for the write up & pics
Old 27th July 2009, 22:20   #56
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! What the history of this beauty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Consider it done Sir. Where were the original horns fit?
I guess you could just spray it matt black and it wont be seen.
Old 28th July 2009, 10:59   #57
BHPian

HI DKG,

I just went through the whole thread and loved it. Congrats on your Jeep, It sure does look a stunner.

Cheers !!!!!!!

Randeep
Old 28th July 2009, 12:13   #58
BHPian

DKG,
I am certainly jealous and envious of your pride. How much did it cost you.
All the best and I hope you enjoy your jeep to the fullest.
Regards,
Deepak
Old 28th July 2009, 15:11   #59
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
DKG,
You have got a very good looking jeep. I can comfortably say no body can match the workmanship levels seen in hyderabad in terms of jeep. Not one, not two, ...so many good looking examples!!!

Your decision on petrol is good. 3b lost its soul when M&M plonked diesel in it. Since you are in Jeep mecca you should be able to maintain the petrol engine pretty well.

Diesel engine- Headace due to excessive noise /Jeep Petrol engine- headace due to excessive care required till it really sets in! You made the second choice as this is not permanent.
Thanks Vinod. I too am amazed at the detailing they do on Jeeps.

Glad you second my decision to go petrol. On the weekend's OTR trip while driving back to Hyd I switched on a decibel meter in my phone and showed a shocked Shams the diesel belting out a steady 106 decibels. Imagine what that kind of onslaught would do to your hearing over a couple of years !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
DKG,

I absolutely agree with you for putting hurricane engine back, where it was designed to be.... Also, I think the petrol engine is a lot lighter than the diesel.
Apparently that is the case, a fellow Bhpian has pointed out that its lighter by 75 kgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
DKG:Its fabulous looking jeep that you own.
What will be the total cost of the jeep to restore it to its original petrol version?
Thanks. Actually if I sell the fully rebuilt diesel and get a petrol and overhaul it the whole exercise won't entail additional money from my pocket. But since the diesel in the car is so well overhauled, very well detailed and robust performer I plan on retaining it for a project of mine.

I reckon for about 20-25 k you can expect a rebuilt petrol. Maybe less

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
COngrats DKG. You have picked up something really nice. Wish you many happy vibration free petrol miles on the road and some smashing trailing off it
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
DKG , i saw this very same jeep outside my flat last week twice , i just could not stop lusting & appreciating on the restoration . Good luck and Happy OTR's
Thanks. I agree the guy has done a very fine job restoring it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Congratulations on a surprisingly clean Jeep. So well detailed, I am shocked. You can lose the yellow 4X4 plate up front

Looking forward to the petrol engine going in (I definitely agree with you, there is no other option for our tastes). Perhaps a set of the earlier WW2 style tail lights will look good.

Wish you many years of happy Jeeping ahead.
Bought the petrol the very next day Karlos. Getting it overhauled to ensure its a fine unit. Will try to get the origial tail lamps in time

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Now I think I can surely say after seeing those pictures that my brother being adamant & single minded about acquiring a WILLYS & the stuff like the high bonnet, the low bonnet & related info is making sense.. now I should also help him in scouting for one. That looks a good addition. thanks for the write up & pics
What I liked about the high bonnet is the Jeep looks classic and every bit the vintage machine with that special Jeep aura and yet they go very cheap. The low bonnets on account of greater desirability are dearer and it would be impossible to find one at the kind of money I paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Congrats! What the history of this beauty?

I guess you could just spray it matt black and it wont be seen.
I have no idea on its history. Perhaps a army disposal Jeep which came into Hyderabad, changed a couple of hands and then restored to this condition recently.

What I can say for sure is it seems to have seen better days in its life so far. Because a really battered Jeep can't look so sharp. Be it the straightness of the chassis or the body lines or even the mechanicals, it appears to be a clean Jeep.

I did about 250 kms this weekend often doing 70 kmph on the highway and it felt just right.

I just might go along with your idea of spraying the horns dull black. I think you also get horns in that shade new

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
HI DKG,

I just went through the whole thread and loved it. Congrats on your Jeep, It sure does look a stunner.

Cheers !!!!!!!

Randeep
Thanks Randeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
DKG,
I am certainly jealous and envious of your pride. How much did it cost you.
All the best and I hope you enjoy your jeep to the fullest.
Regards,
Deepak
Thanks. I don't mind telling you guys how much I paid. But I will need Z category protection as the Jeep restoration community will definitely kill me for ruining the market for them by advertising the price on TBHp
Old 28th July 2009, 15:32   #60
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Loads of pictures taken of the CJ3B on Sunday's OTR. You may wish to check out the full OTR report at

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...hyderabad.html

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0418.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0417.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0416.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0414.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0411.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0407.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0464.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0491.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0512.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0513.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0514.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0522.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0523.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0524.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0525.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0526.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0527.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0528.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0529.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0541.jpg

Last edited by DKG : 28th July 2009 at 15:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks