Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2009, 20:34   #76
BHPian

Amen to that brother !! My memory is still fresh from my testdrive last sunday night. My 3 year old , I and Diesel_Maniac. Jeeping nirvana and nothing else comes close.

P.s Deepak,.I managed new set of NDMS. Thanks again for offering to help.
Old 22nd November 2009, 01:33   #77
BHPian

DKG,

Congrats on the new heart and soul. When do we get to test its offroading capabilties... been a long time
Old 22nd November 2009, 03:04   #78
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff: Post deleted. SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd November 2009 at 14:50.
Old 22nd November 2009, 09:13   #79
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the jeep Deepak sir. If you dont mind sharing can you please tell me how much you paid for the petrol engine ? I am assuming the 4 speed cant be used with the hurricane engine.
Even i am extremely irritated with my DI engine noise.
I think it is time for the final engine change and complete restoration of my jeep.
Need to get a roll cage, new seats and a new paint job (maybe electric blue)
Who was your mechanic ?
Old 22nd November 2009, 17:15   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Beejay I am yet to change the crown wheel pinion set to the 5.38 so right now with the 4.27 it seems to fly. For cruising the 4.27 feels just right. But in traffic the second gear simply has no torque and you have to come to a halt to switch to first which is a drag. So eventually I will upgrade to 5.38 to enable more grunt in 2nd gear. Since most of our city traffic is slow, 2nd gear use is more likely. UBS was recommending the 4.88 too as an option but since I enjoy going offroad I will opt for the 5.38.

As for zero smoke let me share this funny incident that happned yesterday. After the electricals were connected up I fired the CJ up and drove straight to a petrol bunk and filled up the tank.

I then drove to the mechanic because the idle was still rough and in no time there was this huge plume of smoke bellowing from the exhaust. I was aghast at seeing it and couldn't believe that the engine could have gone bust so soon. Then as I intentionally inhaled some smoke to see if this was oil burnt I was horrified to realise it was a paraffin smell.

The attendent at the pump had filled in a 1000 bucks worth of diesel in a Jeep that was now petrol. I couldn't believe I could be so stupid to assume that just because I drove up in a Jeep that was dead silent the attendent should have figured it was petrol. We then had to empty the tank and fill petrol in.
I had the same incident last year, but the opposite. Filled a diesel Jeep with 25 liters of petrol I had luck because I didn't start it, and if I threw the bill I would've never known about the mistake, until it's too late. An hour later with the sun going down and about -10 degrees C the petrol was finally out of the tank. The Hurricane's soul still lives in my Jeep I guess

Driving a petrol car for the most of the year, a 1.4 Peugeot Partner, and then switching to a diesel for as long there is snow, has proved that how easily things can get overlooked.

Looking forward to see photos of the engine bay

Last edited by JeepMkd : 22nd November 2009 at 17:16.
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:37   #81
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wads78 View Post
When do we get to test its offroading capabilties... been a long time
I am searching for a 5.38 complete assembly as I want to retain the 4.27 set too. Once I have it overhauled with new seals etc the Jeep by then should have done 2000 kms and ready for some offroad fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
If you dont mind sharing can you please tell me how much you paid for the petrol engine ?
You should be able to get one for 8 to 10k. The chances of getting a good used engine ready to go in without overhaul are slim but there's always the chance of finding one.

Should you opt for the overhauling route suggest you don't compromise. Keep a budget of 40k max for a very comprehensive overhaul which includes all new carb/dist/fuelpump/water pump etc

Quote:
I am assuming the 4 speed cant be used with the hurricane engine.
I wouldn't know karan. Behram or UBS are the right people to consult on such matters.

Quote:
I think it is time for the final engine change and complete restoration of my jeep.
Sounds like a good idea May the petrol heads tribe grow !!

Quote:
Who was your mechanic ?
I was referred to a guy called Raju. Must say he's done a superb job with a lot of attention to detailing the engine too.

He's a decent guy. Only catch with him as with anyone else I suppose is they can't work to deadlines.

The best way to go about it is to have an entire drive train overhauled and ready for the Jeep and just swap it all in a weeks time. Then you can sell your stuff. Otherwise you will be without a Jeep for three months minimum !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMkd View Post
The Hurricane's soul still lives in my Jeep I guess
Wonderful. All weekend I've been driving it around and what a joy to hear the crisp beats of the Hurricane through a clean new silencer.
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:46   #82
Team-BHP Support

Congratz! can we have some details of the job along with some snaps please!
Old 24th November 2009, 10:33   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Deepak - please post photographs of the F4-134 engine in the vehicle. I will give recommendations in totality.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 24th November 2009, 12:07   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
I am assuming the 4 speed cant be used with the hurricane engine.
4 Speeds can very well be used with Hurricanes!!! Infact please excuse me if I am wrong here, MM440's came with stock hurricane's and 4 Speed KMT90!!!
Experts please comment!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
You should be able to get one for 8 to 10k. The chances of getting a good used engine ready to go in without overhaul are slim but there's always the chance of finding one.
till sometime back there was a Hurricane in quite a decent shape with Gearbox and 4x4 available in NCR!!! Was recently grabbed by a friend!!! The engine was dismounted of a running vehicle!!!

Quote:
Should you opt for the overhauling route suggest you don't compromise. Keep a budget of 40k max for a very comprehensive overhaul which includes all new carb/dist/fuelpump/water pump etc
Thats quite a high budget considering just the engine!!! i dont think that hurricane engines should cost that much!!!
Old 24th November 2009, 14:23   #85
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
some snaps please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Deepak - please post photographs of the F4-134 engine in the vehicle. I will give recommendations in totality.
Will take some pictures and post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Thats quite a high budget considering just the engine!!! i dont think that hurricane engines should cost that much!!!
Used hurricane

New parts
pistons and rings
valves and guides
sleeves
bearings
solex carb
fuel pump
TVS distributor
waterpump kit
silencer pipes
muffler OE Mahindra

Labour
Mechanic
machine shop
electrician
Painting

All this adds upward of 35k nearing 40k.

Unless you reuse old parts you can't do it cheaper

Last edited by DKG : 24th November 2009 at 14:36.
Old 25th November 2009, 09:46   #86
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0141.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0142.jpg

Cj3b : Yes-no-yes !!-img_0144.jpg

Mr. Dhabhar I've come across some discussion on the CJ3B page regarding the need for a fuel pressure regulator for the solex. Is this necessary? They also speak of a fuel return pipe.
Old 25th November 2009, 10:51   #87
Senior - BHPian

Neat job according to me, now let the experts on petrol engine speak:-)
Old 25th November 2009, 17:24   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Deepak - thank you for the photographs. The engine seems to have fitted very well. The sheet metal bracket holding the spark plug cables is as ogiginal. I am pleased to see it. Please do following things. Please REMOVE FUEL FILTER OUT OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. Please fit an UCAL FACET Electronic fuel pump just next to the tank outlet with a Maruti Van fuel filter before it. Mount the filter properly, please don't let it hang (garages do not understand all this and also don't care). Connect the electronic pump outlet to the mechanical pump inlet. Ensure that the metallic pipe from the mechanical pump to the carburettor is mechanically stable (fixed properly, not attracting heat sources), or remove it and use flexible pipe routed away from any hot area. I can see that the pipe is part metal and part plastic, which is not good from safety as well as reliability points of view. You may use a tee connection just before the carburettor and introduce a fuel return line back to the tank. The fuel temperature will drop by 10 degrees C and fuel pump diaphragm life will increase. The orifice diameter inside the tee connection should be 1.6 mm. Remember, petrol evaporates, this can give rise to fuel percolation, which must be prevented. Original F4134 petrol vehicles did not have the long cross rod for the accelerator. They had a small rod. See if you can find an original one and change it, otherwise nowadays you get very good quality accelerator cables, you may decide to use a Maruti van cable with a suitable ratio pedal (remember that the carburettor throttle plate rotates 82 degrees by design and the radius of the actuating ball is 19 mm. Use S=R*theta to calculate pedal ratio, pedal angles and lengths. For cooling system, you may want to use a degassing tank. The Tata Indica Diesel car's degassing tank is now readily available, mounting is relatively simple. Use reinforced hoses for connections. If you want I will provide circuit diagrams. Please delink the oil filter inlet pipe from the front exhaust manifold stud. Earth cable from the battery must be connected to a secure point on the chassis and then another cable from the chassis must provide engine earth. Please route accordingly. Air horn on the carburettor is fitting askew, impure air will go inside and ruin the engine. There is a thin gasket inside the air horn by design. Please ensure that the engine is protected from dirty air. The ignition coil is fitted on the engine in the original layout but there are 2 small heat shield washers on the mountings. Please ensure, otherwise the coil will get overheated. The welding of the adaptor on which the radiator is mounted is not good. Please get the whole thing removed and redone. I can't see the alternator / dynamo. I hope mounting is stable. The days of mechanical PMP horn cutouts are over. You may use Sumo's composite fuse and relay box and wire all circuits through it. A competent electrician will take 5 days to complete the job. The oil pressure guage pipe is hanging very near to the exhaust manifold. Please route it properly. Please do everything in such a way so that when you open the bonnet, any knowledgeable person must say "wow". Others will not understand, so don't bother with them. Sadly there are many "others" around. And yes - what is the hydraulic connector below the front side of the exhaust manifold? Please revert.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 25th November 2009 at 17:43. Reason: add info
Old 25th November 2009, 17:52   #89
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
REMOVE FUEL FILTER OUT OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT.
This was on the agenda. Will be done shortly

Quote:
Please fit an UCAL FACET Electronic fuel pump just next to the tank outlet with a Maruti Van fuel filter before it.
Since I have installed a new mechanical pump do you feel this is essential? I mean do you see the likelihood of the mechanical fuel pump troubling after a while?

Quote:
Ensure that the metallic pipe from the mechanical pump to the carburettor is mechanically stable
Will ensure this

Quote:
You may use a tee connection just before the carburettor and introduce a fuel return line back to the tank. The fuel temperature will drop by 10 degrees C and fuel pump diaphragm life will increase. The orifice diameter inside the tee connection should be 1.6 mm.
Does the 1.6 mm orifice enable the requisite effective pressure and serve as a fuel pressure regulator?

Quote:
Original F4134 petrol vehicles did not have the long cross rod for the accelerator
Thanks for pointing that out. Will try to get a original set from the salvage yards and redo

Quote:
For cooling system, you may want to use a degassing tank. The Tata Indica Diesel car's degassing tank is now readily available, mounting is relatively simple. Use reinforced hoses for connections. If you want I will provide circuit diagrams.
Will do. Right now its not pressurised though
Quote:
Please do everything that when you open the bonnet, any knowledgeable person must say "wow".
I can relate to that and quite agree, more so because I credit the original designers with more intelligence and thought than myself at re-designing things. I prefer keeping things original for the simple reason they usually work best.

I have noticed something about the carb. Sometimes after a drive when I switch off some fuel tends to drop onto the shutter and trickle out from the shutter rod. Is this normal? Meaning some kind of vaccum sucking excess fuel in even when the engine is off?

Carb engines had this issue of fuel getting dumped into the manifold. My 8 cylinder Packards have a relief valve which spills this excess fuel out of the manifold onto the road, like a little piddle. Is the Jeep experiencing the same issue? Or is it something else?

Last edited by DKG : 25th November 2009 at 18:00.
Old 25th November 2009, 18:17   #90
BHPian

Is the fan shroud original? My father doesn't remember having it on when he took the Hurricane out of the Mahindra. Engine bay looks as clean as the rest of the Jeep. I wish I could see it in person.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks