Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 18:19   #106
BHPian

hey atul , was thinking of calling you today. anyhow now get your jeep and keep the cosmetics to a later date while holding part payment with mahindra "last choice" as harjeev calls it. drive it , show it to some mechanic you feel worth while , get his feed back and then get back to first choice, let me know if i can be of any help. have been through what you are going through , but soon enough you will feel it was worth it, surely your jeep will be pleasure soon.
Old 20th April 2010, 22:51   #107
BHPian

Jeep at last, but how?

Brothers, romans and countrymen,
finally managed to wrangle my jeep from mahindra service centre on sunday evening. wont give you the dirty details except that i was told that the jeep was mechanically ready and now only the repainting part was left. when i reached the centre at 1900hrs on sunday the service manager and supervisor were outside, waiting for me. They were kind enough to provide the services of their driver to drive the vehicle back to my home (since i was alone and driving my versa). We came steadily at speeds of 45-50kmph in 3rd gear but after reaching badarpur border a distance of about 40 kms the jeep overheated (temp shooting upto 110degC) and shut down. The driver opened the bonnet, poured water over the fuel pump and wrapped a wet cloth around it. after some 15-20 minutes, once the temp same down to 90 we started again and managed to reach my house without any further incidence. But the next morning there were large oil puddles below the gear box and transfer case and one below the rear differential. On ringing up the Area Mgr he seemed clueless to the situation and said that he would send his mechanic. i politely declined the offer of having their service centre to do anything more and instead requested him to call up Classic Motors/Noida and patch me up with them so that due attention was given to my 3B there. Still waiting for his phone call though. Meanwhile have sent e mails to M&M management to take necessary steps to get me out of this situation. Hope they are tuned to a die hard fan of the mahindra marque who's completely disillusioned about 'be indian buy indian' by now. Today morning I cranked up the jeep again, hoping against hope, but on doing a 2km round the temp shot up to +80degC again.

Either i am too fussy, or purely unlucky. I just hope the gathered clouds blow away soon bringing some good luck finally.

Regards
Old 20th April 2010, 23:47   #108
Team-BHP Support

Atul start with the basics, do a complete tune up with proper timing tools. Then observe how the engine is performing, also ask the mechanic to check if the water pump is also working fine. Assuming the radiator is in good condition.
Old 21st April 2010, 10:06   #109
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear that the problem remains. Though it might just be words of consolation but its not everybody's cup of tea to get a petrol jeep rolling properly. So have your patience for some more time and i do hope you will get to enjoy the beauty soon.
And just to be realistic, dont be too hopeful on the Classic motors also, they might be able to rectify the oil leakage and stuffs but not too sure about tackling the overheating issue and settling other finer adjustments. Though that seems to be the only choice left!
Old 21st April 2010, 13:13   #110
BHPian

Its really sad to know that even after waiting for so long the issues remain. I will second Kandisa's advise as I have also tried Classic motors to take care of a few things on my 64 Willys and Naveen's (Torque-ative) 3B for Heating issues the problems still remain. The technicians at classic are good at repairing diesel mahindras and might be able to take care of oil leakages but I am not sure when it comes to finer things like properly timing and tuning these old engines as they were on very close tolerances. The mechanics are also not very cheerful to see these old machine turn up at he workshop demanding attention as they have not worked on them for sometime now plus it is too much of an effort as compared to newer Mahindra vehicles where all you need is to replace the part rather than haggle around to find the right setting on these old work horses. My suggestion would be find a mechanic who has a good experience with older generation engine and is willing to spend time needed to fine tune a Hurricane motor.

Don't rule out classic motors as Sharat (Doc Freak) has got his 3B's engine rebuild at classic and he is quite happy with the work done so please ask him . I am sure he would be able to help you out.

regards
Old 22nd April 2010, 22:23   #111
BHPian

hi atul ,
dont loose heart, the hurricane is such a simple motor and all these issues you point out can be taken care of with some effort .
work on it, make an effort to understand your jeep and its engine only then will it work out, not by remote control. i have learnt this lesson myself, you have to get your hands dirty and take out all the time
sharat
Old 24th April 2010, 00:11   #112
BHPian

Listened to you guys

Took your advice and drove my 3B to classic motors on Friday morning. The owner was very helpful and listened to me very patiently. Infact that was where i had got my offical Tata Sumo painted and emblazoned with NorthRail decals all over in 2006 while i was posted in Delhi division/Northern Railway. I drew up a list of areas requiring attention and i believe the work will start as soon as the Mahindra first choice service centre gives the go ahead.
The tappet clearances were being checked and reset when i left the garage, the radiator needs to be replaced with a 4 core one to overcome the engine overheating problems. The gear box may have to be dismantled and reassembled. The alignment of the drive shaft to the rear axle needs attention. The guy who tested the vehicle said that there was a tendency of it veering off on its own towards one side.

I hope the gremlins as all you experts have been pointing out get sorted this time.

Regards
atul
Old 24th April 2010, 12:42   #113
BHPian

Status update

Hi folks,
Some cheering news for a change. The work on my 3B has started with the engine already dismantled and removed. Will be posting pictures as soon as i can make a trip to Noida.
Was talking to docfreak earlier this morning and he had just come back from an OTR on the banks of the Yamuna. Seems he's hooked on to mud & slush for good. I remember his earlier decision a few months back not to torture his 3B in OTR's and do only road cruising. It seems another one bites the dust. May be one of these days i'll pile on with somebody willing to show me a few tricks and let me taste an OTR.

atul
Old 25th April 2010, 17:15   #114
Senior - BHPian

Until one outs the Hurricane to test in an OTR, one will not realise the simplicity and beauty of this engine. I did it an am hooked, line and sinker. What amazed me was that the CJ just crawls up and down where others have to step on the gas or the brakes. Loving it.
Old 11th May 2010, 19:00   #115
BHPian

Ready to soar

Was at classic motors today to test drive my jeep. Almost all the gremlins seem to have been worked out, and by the time i left the workshop one was on its way to be attended. The silencer and tail pipe had some leakage near the expansion chamber which could not be accessed from below and the same was taken for dismantling so that welding/repairs could be attended to. The radiator currently installed is a 3 core and has about 120 tubes, a 4 core with 180+ tubes was not available and Mahindra First Choice management is on the lookout to exchange and install the higher capacity one. I will take delivery of the vehicle as soon as the payment is made by Mahindra First Choice to Classic Motors.

Test Drive- The engine was smooth and muted, the only hiss being from the silencer pipe leakage, the gear shifting was precise but a bit notchy-especially from 1st to 2nd but the mechanic told me it would go away after a few hundred kms. Each and every job done seemed to have been handled with attention and there was no loose ends left. I used the 4x4 in 2nd low to test the traction by climbing over a pile of construction sand and the response of the jeep was stupendous- it moved over it with absolute disdain- no slipping or sliding and the 3B always seemed to be in control. cruising at 35 in 3rd was fantastic and the engine was making a lesser din than even my versa- or may be i'm actually smitten by my 3B. At 10am in the Noida heat not having an AC did not matter, the harsh ride i never noticed- i was excited just listening to the hurricane motor turning barely audible, taking everything in its stride. The starting torque and seamless power delivery has me hooked to this gem of an invention- Using the older design 3 spoked steering has its advantages and it is realised when u turn the same since its larger size gives a better leverage making road negotiation easy.

My appreciation for the mechanic at Classic motors and even the owner who actually understand jeeps. Their understanding of each problem was precise and accurate and the solution delivered was crisp.

The canvas top was to be stitched and fitted by evening today and i hope the same goes as per schedule. Small irritants like the uneven floor plate gap near the gear levers, the clamping of the battery, the bolting of the rear bench seat to the floor, the repair of the pipe frame, the replacement of the column mounted combination switch-every thing has been attended once brought to the notice of the owner and i did'nt have to run after anyone explaining umpteen times what i wanted.

The approach of the managment and staff was clinical and precise. Hats off to them and i can only hope that others pick up these traits.

Just waiting now to get my hands on the steering for good.

I hope my exhuberance does'nt end with me falling on my face, again.

Would like to convey my appreciation for the words of advice and suggestions from all you folks which kept me kicking through the past 6 gloomy months.

Regards,
atul

Last edited by ATUL SINGH : 11th May 2010 at 19:02. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 11th May 2010, 21:53   #116
Senior - BHPian

That is indeed some good news to hear. Congrats. You seem to be Classic's 1st customer, all praise for their workmanship for sorting things on a CJ3B in a single go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH View Post
....I hope my exhuberance does'nt end with me falling on my face, again.....
Just hope so. Enjoy your ride

Last edited by Kandisa : 11th May 2010 at 21:54. Reason: spell check
Old 12th May 2010, 00:04   #117
Team-BHP Support

Hey great news! Really can imagine the grin on your face Happy jeeping!
Old 12th May 2010, 20:58   #118
BHPian

Soaring, well almost...

Could'nt contain myself any more, just had to go to the workshop to see the final outcome. Landed at Classic motors at 1815 hrs. An advance phone-call made sure that the jeep was being given a quick scrub for the photo shoot when i landed.

Here goes...
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-p5120125.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-p5120128.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-p5120131.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-p5120133.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-p5120134.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-p5120137.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-p5120139.jpg  

Last edited by ATUL SINGH : 12th May 2010 at 21:00.
Old 12th May 2010, 21:02   #119
Team-BHP Support

You know what your jeep looks just yummmmmmmmmmy! All the very best and have a great time with her.
Old 13th May 2010, 19:28   #120
Senior - BHPian

Aren't you getting the FWH installed?

Most Viewed