Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2017, 16:35   #1306
BHPian

Re: Maruti Gypsy Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
And a final couple of pictures with the usual navigator:
Great looking navigator!! I notice the extreme attention to detail by the Navigator in examining road conditions!!
Old 29th June 2017, 16:40   #1307
Senior - BHPian

Lol, yes. Seeing if we need to shift to 4WD.
Old 29th June 2017, 21:35   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Here are a few pictures on my recent trip to Shangarh, a hidden jewel in remote Sainj Valley.

Those pictures look stunning, especially the one with the sweat around MG413W. Truly the King of the Road... Just feel like seeing the pictures over and over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Gypsy in the hills of Western Maharashtra and by the sea in the Konkan region:

Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures. The King with the sea in the background looks amazing. Every time I see an enthusiast with the Gypsy, I retrospect on what fun factor I miss out on. Just haven't been able to follow my heart and have stuck to my head as of now though I have been bitten by the Jeep bug long back.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th June 2017 at 22:42. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
jbpanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 06:53   #1309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpanda View Post
Just haven't been able to follow my heart and have stuck to my head as of now though I have been bitten by the Jeep bug long back.
There is something to be said for enjoying just the pictures - I happily watch Kerala back waters on a HD big screen TV, fully aware that if I was there in person, I would be sweating like a pig and be extremely uncomfortable and irritable.

As I do in the Gypsy in the Konkan, or when my back gets hammered on poorly surfaced country roads. Other modern cars can now get to most places anyone goes in a Gypsy - excepting extreme off roading.

The reason I have held on to the Gypsy is its extreme practical usefulness to me: for taking dogs to outings to muddy places without losing sleep over what they will do to the inside on the return trip, to carry bags of rice and gas cylinders that my wife needs for her business, for moving furniture and even for airport trips for relatives that don't understand the meaning of travelling light when coming from outside India for visits. And now for drives out of the city only in the rains when it is still a fun drive.

For all its good looks and capability, it defines the phrase " bare bones vehicle".
Old 1st July 2017, 05:18   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
Vikram the Gypsy looks impeccable!
1. Is that blue loctite on the wheel nuts?
2. Which parts have you kitted out, is it running on the new struts that you were supposed to get from abroad?
Thanks brother.

I honestly do not know about that blue coloured mark on the rear wheel lug nuts. These marks were there when I took the delivery of the vehicle.

In regards to the up gradation I have only fitted the AISIN manual locking hubs (see below). I did fit the Samurai OEM style door mounted ORVM (on the driver side only for now), a 12 inch led light bar on the front bumper, a stereo system with an amplifier and two speakers and a 12 volt socket.

The plan to install Bilstein dampers has been put on hold for now. I want the Gypsy to log at least 25,000 kilometers and then I will revisit this proposition. Currently the mileage is 2,600. I have bought a lot of other stuff which is purely functional, cosmetic but did not have the time to take up those projects as this time my trip to India was two weeks only.

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_20170501_153948.jpg

I also must mention that after installing the locking hubs I took the Gypsy out for a day long drive into the hills nearby Shimla and the mileage that I got was 14.4 kmpl. The calculation was done tankful to tankful, there was no luggage in the car and I was alone. Also the area that I had gone to has very sparse traffic and I was maintaining a steady 45-55 kmph speed. The tire pressure was maintained at 22psi all around.

Now I have never bothered to verify the mileage of the car prior to installing the locking hubs therefore I have no information to compare the current mileage with. However I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. And yes by the way I did use a dose of octane booster before filling up the tank though I do not know if this made much of a difference. There is also a marked reduction in steering effort especially at parking speeds.

Most important part; while on my way to Shangarh I did engage the low range (purely out of curiosity as the Gypsy was doing just fine pulling in 1st gear) on a particularly unpaved stretch with a steep incline while the hubs were in “free” position and voila it worked. Then I thought about it and realised that low range would in fact work (though only on the rear wheels) while the hubs are in the “free” position. Well I did not require the 4X4 but only wanted to see if I will get the additional torque in low range and it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpanda View Post
Those pictures look stunning, especially the one with the sweat around MG413W. Truly the King of the Road... Just feel like seeing the pictures over and over again.

Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures. The King with the sea in the background looks amazing. Every time I see an enthusiast with the Gypsy, I retrospect on what fun factor I miss out on. Just haven't been able to follow my heart and have stuck to my head as of now though I have been bitten by the Jeep bug long back.
You're right. I also have to make do by looking at the pictures only as I get to drive it only once or twice a year.

When I think about what makes Gypsy so dear to me I can not particularly put my finger on it. May be it is the pure mechanical, bare bone, no nonsense nature of the vehicle. On my way back from Shangarh, near Mandi the temperature was 38C and I was sweating like anything, but I was not overtly bothered by it. Out here I switch on my air conditioning at anything over 22C. The drive is so engaging that you rarely pay attention to the lack of creature comforts.

Jeeps are a lot of fun too. I cut my teeth on a Jeep back in the day on a petrol CJ-3B. It had a 3 speed gear box with a low ratio transfer case and a canvas top. Enjoy the drive buddy!

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 1st July 2017 at 05:25. Reason: Addition of content
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 08:51   #1311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I honestly do not know about that blue coloured mark on the rear wheel lug nuts. These marks were there when I took the delivery of the vehicle.
The blue paint mark on hub nuts is to ensure hub's not been opened. Warranty issues. Similar marking exists in engine side also.
sudev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 10:39   #1312
BHPian

One more from a hilly trail

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-17155280_10212165303828605_1773188711324131934_n.jpg
megazoid is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 11:22   #1313
BHPian

hey megazoid, both pics(including the ooty one) are excellent, Can you pl share where this was taken?

Last edited by raihan : 3rd July 2017 at 11:37.
Old 3rd July 2017, 12:09   #1314
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone, I am going to check a gypsy today for purchase (link)
Can you please advise me in terms of what are the things that I should absolutely check? The owner has agreed to sell at 2lacs. And the deal looks too good to be true to me at the moment, so I am a little suspicious.
Old 3rd July 2017, 14:17   #1315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
The blue paint mark on hub nuts is to ensure hub's not been opened. Warranty issues. Similar marking exists in engine side also.
Those marks are put on the assembly line to indicate these nuts and bolts were tightened to the correct torque specifications.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 13:32   #1316
Senior - BHPian

One from the weekend

Name:  ForumRunner_20170709_133229.png
Views: 4530
Size:  589.2 KB
schakravarthy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 13:44   #1317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi everyone, I am going to check a gypsy today for purchase (link)
Can you please advise me in terms of what are the things that I should absolutely check? The owner has agreed to sell at 2lacs. And the deal looks too good to be true to me at the moment, so I am a little suspicious.
A few things that comes to my mind -

1) Paperwork - It is sure to be an ex-army, so check the RC, FC validity and insurance and make sure the engine, chassis number tally. (Chassis number is behind the rear right wheel, iirc)

2) Rust - make sure the floor panel, running board etc have minimal rust (would be too much to expect a rust free car. Lol)

3) Engine, tranny and TC - make sure they don't make any funny noises. Also, check if the TC is functional by slotting into 4WD

4) Electricals - check and make sure the wiring is proper. Skinned wires near the couplers is a usual tell-tale of jugaad re-wiring. My car had a plastic cover tied as an insulator.

5) Drive - take it for a spin and check acceleration, braking and suspension. The braking should be predictable and car should stay true. Rule out chassis bend.

If you have a mech/ friend who is familiar with Gypsys, take him along. He would be able to best advice you.

Good luck.
Old 9th July 2017, 15:26   #1318
BHPian

hey schakravarthy, another great pic from you!
Can you pl tell me what is a fair price for this specimen?
http://www.olx.in/item/maruti-suzuki...tml#32b43f12cd
Would this suspension mod improve the ride?
Old 14th July 2017, 13:23   #1319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
hey schakravarthy, another great pic from you!
Can you pl tell me what is a fair price for this specimen?
http://www.olx.in/item/maruti-suzuki...tml#32b43f12cd
Would this suspension mod improve the ride?
I'm not sure I'm the right person to advice you. Anyway, since you've already asked, let me attempt to help you. The better informed can always pitch in with their inputs.

If the car is indeed a civilian (engine/chassis number is alphanumeric + a quick service history check should reveal details), with the mentioned mods and accessories, I would say 5.5L - 6L should be a fair price. Gypsys inherently suffer from poor re-sale value, what with the abundance of ex-army vehicles. A discerning buyer is quite rare too - most only want it for the 'Macho' appeal.

Try your luck.

Last edited by schakravarthy : 14th July 2017 at 13:29.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 21:33   #1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I'm not sure I'm the right person to advice you. Anyway, since you've already asked, let me attempt to help you. The better informed can always pitch in with their inputs.

If the car is indeed a civilian (engine/chassis number is alphanumeric + a quick service history check should reveal details), with the mentioned mods and accessories, I would say 5.5L - 6L should be a fair price. Gypsys inherently suffer from poor re-sale value, what with the abundance of ex-army vehicles. A discerning buyer is quite rare too - most only want it for the 'Macho' appeal.

Try your luck.
Hi Schakravarthy: Where in Bangalore have you got done the suspension modification done ?

Did you change the leaf springs too or are they the old ones (original) ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks