Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2010, 20:18   #16
BHPian

I wish MSIL does an EECO on the Gypsy... Plonk in the EECO engine, Revamp the interiors and bring in the overall length with 4.0m (Just 11mm reduction from the existing length) to avail the excise benefit and price it at 4.5 Lac (for the 4WD + Softtop base version). It will set the cash registers ringing like never before (in case of Gypsy only)...

Harshavardhan
Old 31st January 2010, 21:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I too heard something similar from the MASS guys!!! But no one is sure as there's no official announcement from the company as yet!!!
harjeev what exactly did you hear from MASS guys ? Can you please share ?
Old 31st January 2010, 21:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshavardhan View Post
bring in the overall length with 4.0m (Just 11mm reduction from the existing length) to avail the excise benefit and price it at 4.5 Lac (for the 4WD + Softtop base version).
Harshavardhan
I dont know how the Gypsy's dimensions are measured (bumper-bumper or bumper-spare wheel mount).

But if Maruti simply removes the rear spare wheel mount, will it reduce the overall length under 4m? We can put the spare wheel under rear seats if its really benefiting in reducing the cost.

Maruti-Suzuki got to do something with it as it has got a real competition with Mahindra Thar.
Old 31st January 2010, 21:49   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A li'l birdie tells me that the Gypsy's civilian sales will stop soon. Supply with 1.3 only to the army from April 2010. Maruti feels the sales numbers are too low to bother with making it emission friendly. And as much as I love the 1.2 K series, I don't think its a good match for the Gypsy. C'mon, an offroader with a 1.2 L petrol!

If you want to buy a new Gypsy, DO SO RIGHT NOW
Old 31st January 2010, 22:13   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

So the chicken is blaming the egg!!. Maruthi should understand that the civilian sales are low since they don't really bother to sell it or have not bothered to plonk in a deisel engine. I feel if Gypsy was available new with a diesel, the Thar may not have even come into the game.
Old 31st January 2010, 22:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A li'l birdie tells me that the Gypsy's civilian sales will stop soon. Supply with 1.3 only to the army from April 2010. Maruti feels the sales numbers are too low to bother with making it emission friendly...

This makes sense, unfortunately. I wonder if any Japanese/Indian collaborative will release a true off-roader to fill or create the niche for a rugged off roader in India? A vehicle that already exists on the international market, perhaps?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 31st January 2010 at 22:15.
Old 31st January 2010, 22:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
A li'l birdie tells me that the Gypsy's civilian sales will stop soon. Supply with 1.3 only to the army from April 2010.
what about Gypsy supply to non BS IV cities ?
Old 31st January 2010, 22:42   #23
Team-BHP Support

A MASS guy informed (from his contacts in factory) that R&D is happening for making Gypsy Euro IV compliant. So afterall there might be a hope.
Old 31st January 2010, 23:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
A MASS guy informed (from his contacts in factory) that R&D is happening for making Gypsy Euro IV compliant. So afterall there might be a hope.
Well if its true then its going to be great news.

But all this is speculation, we will have to wait for an official press release from Maruti.
Old 1st February 2010, 00:29   #25
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A li'l birdie tells me that the Gypsy's civilian sales will stop soon. Supply with 1.3 only to the army from April 2010.
Quote:

Myself had some hope like Jimny would have got introduced with BSIV, but thats definitely zero possibility now.
Old 1st February 2010, 01:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I feel if Gypsy was available new with a diesel, the Thar may not have even come into the game.
The weight of Thar(on slushy slopes) and GC will never allow it to even come close to gypsy in terms of offroading and also tested and proven G13BB engine(used in rallies) and perfect weight to power ratio. Gypsy was used so roughly in punjab by police in 90's era when there was militancy problems in punjab and there used to be always 8-9 policemen in gypsy and used to run on all offroad route to search for militants and Gypsy never gave up.

Best case scenario is if they just change the catalytic convertor and some ECM setting and all other setup as it is.

Can some one confirm the intent of MSIL regarding Gypsy?
Old 1st February 2010, 12:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
The weight of Thar(on slushy slopes) and GC will never allow it to even come close to gypsy in terms of offroading and also tested and proven G13BB engine(used in rallies) and perfect weight to power ratio. Gypsy was used so roughly in punjab by police in 90's era when there was militancy problems in punjab and there used to be always 8-9 policemen in gypsy and used to run on all offroad route to search for militants and Gypsy never gave up.

Best case scenario is if they just change the catalytic convertor and some ECM setting and all other setup as it is.

Can some one confirm the intent of MSIL regarding Gypsy?
Yes, In fact today I spoke to someone pretty reliable at MSIL. He was fairly certain that the Gypsy would not be discontinued for civilians anytime in the foreseeable future. There are talks within MSIL to make some modifications (he will try to check details) to ensure it conforms to the new emission standards. He is fairly certain that the G13 engine would not be replaced by the K series. So guess there's enough cause for celebration here!

Last edited by Jeepster 4x4 : 1st February 2010 at 12:24.
Old 1st February 2010, 19:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster 4x4 View Post
Yes, In fact today I spoke to someone pretty reliable at MSIL. He was fairly certain that the Gypsy would not be discontinued for civilians anytime in the foreseeable future. There are talks within MSIL to make some modifications (he will try to check details) to ensure it conforms to the new emission standards. He is fairly certain that the G13 engine would not be replaced by the K series. So guess there's enough cause for celebration here!
Thats a good news. Gypsy is a living legend. Like Japanese Samurais & Ninjas..

BTW, Can you pls get some info regarding its length? Is it possible to make it under 4m to avail some benefits.
Old 1st February 2010, 19:11   #29
BHPian

Hope gypsy will be around forever.If yes I will buy one more Gypsy after ten years.
Old 1st February 2010, 19:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I'm note sure what is the big deal in making the Gypsy Bharat IV compliant.
Plonk in the "K" series like they did in the Swift and Dezire.

Or "re-work" the existing thingy as they did in the "new" eeco (the versa reborn thingy).

Or is it more complicated than that ?
Gearbox need to be different ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks