Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 14:53   #76
Team-BHP Support

The thread has been renamed and now is purely a Jimny thread. Don't discuss Thar here anymore - Support Team

Last edited by Samurai : 5th August 2010 at 15:04.
Old 5th August 2010, 15:03   #77
BHPian

This looks like a santro or a Wagon-R on Steroids that has been DC modded. No way will I pay 5L for this thing!
Old 5th August 2010, 15:06   #78
Team-BHP Support

It has 4WD, with front and rear solid axle with coils springs. It will be a favourite of offroaders.
Old 5th August 2010, 15:06   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
This looks like a santro or a Wagon-R on Steroids that has been DC modded. No way will I pay 5L for this thing!
Fantastic! More for the rest of us!
Old 5th August 2010, 16:06   #80
Senior - BHPian

"UGLY"

i will anyday go for Thar or a secondhand Gypsy no matter what.

this look like a mod job.
Old 5th August 2010, 21:04   #81
Senior - BHPian

""UGLY"

i will anyday go for Thar or a secondhand Gypsy no matter what.

this look like a mod job."

i think you should check out what this little Jimny could do compared to the Jurassic Gypsy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Fantastic! More for the rest of us!
glad to hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It has 4WD, with front and rear solid axle with coils springs. It will be a favourite of offroaders.
trust you would say that. it comes naturally from you.

Quote:
yeah tell me about it, i would like to hear more of your expert comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The thread has been renamed and now is purely a Jimny thread. Don't discuss Thar here anymore - Support Team
thank you for doing that, let discuss The Jimny guys!

Last edited by Parm : 5th August 2010 at 21:06.
Old 5th August 2010, 21:05   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Perception. As for Jimny, I doubt anybody will buy only for the look. Performance is the factor. Buyers definitely are not jeepers nor car market.

Though, MPFI gypsy gives 12 -14 kmpl FE, not many buyers. It requires passion. When you can't pay 5L for jimny, you can't even consider Thar for that matter (way too costly, I consider).
Old 5th August 2010, 21:11   #83
Senior - BHPian

Here's a bunch of people who think the Jeep looks good despite it having the aerodynamic properties of a windmill...and a bunch of people who think the Gypsy is a fantastic off-roader despite looking like a geriatric donkey with a penchant for violently throwing it's rider off the saddle, talking about the looks of the Jimny.

I am amused.

On paper it will gift-wrap whatever you've brung...

I will admit it looks a bit weird but I think it is the front grill that is ruining everything. From every other angle it looks superb.

I don't care if it looks like the wart on the rump of a ground-hog because all you need to do is go on youtube and see what it can do!
Old 6th August 2010, 01:14   #84
Senior - BHPian

^True,
I checked a few videos on youtube and other site, its a favorite offroader out there for years.
Some of the things I saw it doing / performing, we cant even think M&M Jeeps can do. some serious offroad maneuver and one guy went all the way till water flowing above the front window and rear door, and came out with flooded Jimny easily, that was good one!

However, as 4x4 said earlier, this doesnt seem to be happening. If I remember it correct, it was rumored once or twice before (around 2004) but never made it to India. if it comes to India and with a resonable price tag, off-roaders will really be glad.
Old 6th August 2010, 07:39   #85
BHPian

It was a Jimny/Samurai that James May used in the Top Gear Amazon Special ( Bolivia Challenge i think ).

I can never forget how entertaining and how educative it was to see this take on a Land Cruiser and Range Rover and come out trumps in many challenges.
Old 6th August 2010, 08:26   #86
Senior - BHPian

I've emailed some of the big-jigs at Maruti to see if we can get some confirmation of their plans to bring in the Jimny. Lets see...
Old 6th August 2010, 08:49   #87
BHPian

this seems like another wet-dream. dont get your hopes up boys! I dont expect Maruti to have this sort of market sense. These fellows are far happier catering to the bottom of the market. Perhaps thats sensible thing to do.

Speaking of perceptions, one client in the US asked me what car i took to the forests i kept talking about. When i said Gypsy, indian version of Samurai/Jimny, his exact reaction was "kinda girly car isnt it?". Apparently what is a "macho" set of wheels here in india used to be a popular choice for teenaged girls not old enough for a larger SUV! PERCEPTIONS!
Old 6th August 2010, 12:07   #88
Senior - BHPian

Ha ha ha! Cougar you really nailed it there. Anything smaller than a Jeep Cherokee is considered "pansy". I think they should rate cars based on mpg...the less is better.

Wet dream or not it is about time they retire the Gypsy and join the modern era with something better. I do hope the armed forces are evaluating the Jimny after having had enough with the Gypsy. There is NO reason why a Jawan should freeze his/her butt off in J&K just because they are supposed to be "tough". I want them ready to fight when the time is right...not spend time thawing off beside the fire!
Old 6th August 2010, 12:15   #89
BHPian

Jimny is good but I dont say better than Gypsy in any sense. May be because I love boxy designs like jeep, Gypsy, Pajero ,Gurkha.
In UK Jimny's mostly driven by ladies. I am sure jimny will be a big success in india.
Old 6th August 2010, 13:01   #90
Senior - BHPian

Have been following this thread from the start. But doubt MSIL would bring it here. And even if they do, pricing at 6-7L seems doubtful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka
As for Jimny, I doubt anybody will buy only for the look. Performance is the factor. Buyers definitely are not jeepers nor car market.
Well, I like its looks and would buy it purely for the looks & features and because I like the concept of a baby-SUV. Also because for those of us who like SUVs but feel guilty using one (carbon-footprint), this is an option that lets us have fun without guilt.

Off-roading does not interest me (other than watching youtube videos), but I still would love to have this baby.

Maybe OT : While searching for Jimny videos, came across this video of a Suzuki which does a dash in a stream with the vehicle almost fully submerged as if it was a normal thing.

Anyone knows what model this is ? Looks like a Gypsy to me.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks