Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2010, 03:20   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
The one in pics is THAR MDi, another version of THAR, let the comments pour in. OKBJ, power steering..

Spike

EDIT- Lot more variants to come.

Intriguing. But I do not understand why a new release would not be brought to BSIV specs and full Indian marketability.
Old 6th December 2010, 06:27   #197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
No true offroader is likely to insist upon A/c and alloys
But do spare a thought about fake offroaders like me. Today as I leave for 400+kms drive in my doorless CJ340, on the dusty and broken Karnataka highways, the wimp in me really wishes I had AC. Not everybody can be Marlboro man who loves to eat dust all day.

No AC is fine on offroad trails, but on our crappy highways, I would love to have it.

Last edited by Samurai : 6th December 2010 at 17:26. Reason: typo
Old 6th December 2010, 09:42   #198
Senior - BHPian

Samu, why do those aux lights look familiar? You shd claim some royalty for ideas i say...!!
Old 6th December 2010, 10:31   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
One nice pic. Just to lighten up the things.
Attachment 464626
Can we have this for 7.5 L OTR BLR

EDIT: Minus the winch and the lights on the roof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But do spare a thought about fake offroaders like me. Today I as leave for 400+kms drive in my doorless CJ340, on the dusty and broken Karnataka highways, the wimp in me really wishes I had AC. Not everybody can be Marlboro man who loves to eat dust all day.
+1 to this, just the thought of driving from BLR to Pune or Munnar in a jeep with no AC makes me go bonkers. AC would be a definite requirement. Thank god, M&M is providing it as an easy option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Samu, why do those aux lights look familiar? You shd claim some royalty for ideas i say...!!
Royalty will go somewhere else the We got the idea from the mallu boys.
Old 6th December 2010, 11:02   #200
Senior - BHPian

BS vs BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Sorry for my twin post, but see my answers in bold and yeah Jaggu, Iam taking your inputs in true spirit and i know being a 3B owner you are our well wisher. So keep pouring in your thoughts.
Hi Vinod,

Your post are BS5 Spec.

Lets go back to BS3 Spec.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2162162-post107.html

Regards,

Arka
Old 6th December 2010, 12:05   #201
Senior - BHPian

Ethics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I dont think it is OT at all sudarshan. Simply because most posts here are staring to edge towards mahindra's business ethics.

Do get your facts right my friend, Dad started the threads on the thar way before any of you guys knew he was with M&M. infact as I remember correctly it was something that came up over dinner which inevitably must have been "DHUN-DAR" once and that is how it started. hehe!!

Hi Cyrus,

Some of us have seen a variety of M&M Vehicles in various trims, over years to understand that their Manufacturing Ethics and hence their Business Ethics, had it not been for the "License Raj/Permit Raj" M&M wouldn't have survived.

Today old habits die hard, and since there in no competition in the Light 4X4 Diesel Category, we are forced to buy substandard offerings.

Why wasn't the Mil-Spec MM540 body offered to customers in 1998-2002.

It had to be introduced in the Thar MDI & Thar CRDe to increase the weight to clear BS3/BS4 norms i.e 1600kgs.

Why was the same Knuckle used on CJ340/CJ500D, MM540 series & FC-Vans obviously due to their weight and Wheel Base a different steering set-up was required for each one.

If you check the same has been done on the Bolero & Thar MDI.

The XD3P always came with a Oil Cooler, but M&M removed it and introduced in Only in 1998(MM550) and 2004-2006 in the Boleros.

Why wasn't the MRCBT introduced to all other vehicles in 1998-2002?

Why wasn't the FFRA from the Legend carried over to the Thar MDI?

Why does the Thar MDI have the older Major Style Tail Gate and not the one from MM550XD or Thar CRDe type.

M&M has a simple philosophy give the customer the worst possible, till emission or other norms don't force them to change.

They have never changed for the customer, they always tried to force the customer to change.

Follow the MM550XD history and you will see the changes done to the military variants, that is because the ARMY will not put up with M&M Ethics or Philosophy.

DB Sir, started the MM540/MM550 wish List Thread, what has been implemented from that?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...mm540-4wd.html

Another thread which was started even before --

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ff-roader.html

And since the off-road community is negligible, we don't expect M&M to cater to us, neither are we expected to praise everything M&M dishes out.

Some of us buy M&M, not because it good or bad, but because it is Indian, and the saddest part is to have hope or faith in an Indian Brand(Oxymoron).

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 6th December 2010 at 12:10.
Old 6th December 2010, 12:09   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Guys:

So there is no BS1V version of the 3200TC engine? Does this mean that the only Bolero you can buy in metros is the Storm?

Vinod, what we need is something in the Thar D2.

XYLO D2 Engine
57/53 OKBJ/FFRA Track/Axles
MRCBT Steering
Revert back to NGCS Army550 Leafspring set up.
Basically, Give us Legend with the XYLO D2 engine for about 5.5 ex-showroom.
Old 6th December 2010, 12:13   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@trammway, I think it should be compared to the Bolero Storm and not the SLX. Take the cost of Bolero Storm, decrease the cost of the extra sheet metal, add the price of the Front Diffs, BW T-Case etc. This should be the pricing point for the Thar CRDe.
I was comparing prices of Thar Di and Thar CRDe with their respective counter parts in Bolero segment. SLX for Di and Strom for CRDe variants.

I wish we all realize just not the sheet metal and front diffs and BW T-Case makes the price change here are some well known factors on building Bolero which are sure higher compare to Thar.

1. Sheet metal
2. Steel pipes
3. Metal pastes and Weldings
4. Painting (a major chunk of money goes here)
5. Head & Tail light assy
6. Plastic bumper and front grill
7. Air conditioning unit with all it's add ons
8. Power steering
9. Winding windows (manual and powered both adds costs)
10. Interior plastic panels
11. upholstery for ceiling
12. seating cushions and frames
13. Floor thermal protection
14. Floor mats
15. Wheel tub plastic panels
16. Five Doors and it's mechanisms
17. Fancy dash board with all goodie instrument cluster (not that nano styled)
18. Side foot rests
19. Length of the vehicle itself which doubles all the costs above mentioned
20. Lastly the R&D efforts and costs to have the bolero designed against the copycat design of Thar from Willy's era. ;-),

man don't we realized Thar Di is already on the roads by some small scale dirty mechanical work shop built them many times in the past few decades? I wonder what R&D efforts really made to Thar Di by Mahindra ?

all the above thing against the front diff and transfer case in the gearbox ?

Last edited by trammway : 6th December 2010 at 12:24.
Old 6th December 2010, 12:42   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@tramway:

You forgot additional nuts and bolts and screws in your list. I wasn't coming up with a budgetary quotation. But general ballpark estimate :-).
Old 6th December 2010, 13:00   #205
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But do spare a thought about fake offroaders like me. the wimp in me really wishes I had AC.
A.C. is a must for our climate conditions. Cannot dream enjoying a drive without A.C. in the hot Indian summer.
Old 6th December 2010, 14:14   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@tramway:

You forgot additional nuts and bolts and screws in your list. I wasn't coming up with a budgetary quotation. But general ballpark estimate :-).
Whatever, the price of Thar as quoted even the lowest seems to be lots higher compare to Bolero
Old 6th December 2010, 15:03   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Whatever, the price of Thar as quoted even the lowest seems to be lots higher compare to Bolero
That case can happen with many rural buyers who are considering Thar MDi as a tourist/ workhorse vehicle. Comparison with Bolero will come naturally. Many of the interested buyers visiting the showroom will think in the same way & ofcourse there will be Sales person in showrooms who will RECOMMEND to go for India's #1 UV: Bolero for just few extra $$.

But again, if we compare Thar MDi 4WD with Major 4WD (5.10Lacs Vs 4.9Lacs Ex. Not Sure) , then what can be the case? I mean Major sold well along side Boleros, specially in rural taxi market. Do they thought that having a doorless vehicle can be a better Taxi? We can see how they stuff people inside. Driver is half way outside. Was that the only benefit?

Then what should be the price of Thar MDi? Its Bolero Vs Major comparison. More

Quote:
Guys:

So there is no BS1V version of the 3200TC engine? Does this mean that the only Bolero you can buy in metros is the Storm?

Vinod, what we need is something in the Thar D2.

XYLO D2 Engine
57/53 OKBJ/FFRA Track/Axles
MRCBT Steering
Revert back to NGCS Army550 Leafspring set up.
Basically, Give us Legend with the XYLO D2 engine for about 5.5 ex-showroom.
That will be great. Another BS4 Jeep, but for offroaders.
At least it should be made to order.
Old 6th December 2010, 15:54   #208
BHPian

Do we have a minimum 50 Order for any one varrient ? (Mdi or CRDi) Then I think mahindra can give a Limited edition TBHP varrient.I belive there is a chance but again the requirements will be different for each person.

Or lets start a poll Which one you buy a Mdi or a CRDi ?

Are you really planing to buy one ? Or still says "old is gold" a mm550 is the best may be beast.
Old 6th December 2010, 16:23   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Do we have a minimum 50 Order for any one varrient ? (Mdi or CRDi) Then I think mahindra can give a Limited edition TBHP varrient.I belive there is a chance but again the requirements will be different for each person.

Or lets start a poll Which one you buy a Mdi or a CRDi ?

Are you really planing to buy one ? Or still says "old is gold" a mm550 is the best may be beast.

i think thats one of those stupid ideas, please please dont start such things

Let a customer have the freedom to discuss freely and buy freely rather than showing your kind of feelings towards a manufacturer.

its not a charity and nobody is doing a favour.period

Last edited by simply_sunny001 : 6th December 2010 at 16:23. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 6th December 2010, 16:40   #210
AWD
BHPian

Drivers seat should be adjustable, according to the times even the steering rake should be adjustable. Don't know why MM could not do this. Im not asking for many creature comforts but these are basic without which it would be tough getting comfy behind the wheel.
Im not optimistic on comfort inside the vehicle but MM should have realized this & offered basic upgrades to the decades old design. Also feel that due to it being a soft-top, A.C. will not be offered as a factory fitment.
While aesthetic/eye candy features like Alloys are not required. These should be offered as additional accessories from the dealers, if at all.

Now, waiting for the launch date, specs. & most important price!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks