Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Bangalore

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2010, 23:54   #256
BHPian

My expereince with Shell

This post deserves a separate thread IMO. In fact, I had started one, only to be deleted and pointed by GTO to continue discussion here. Few months back, I was cheated by one of the new Shell pumps on Mysore Road, few meters away from Gopalan Mall and decided to write to Shell. Below is my experience.

It starts off with a chain of mails(read bottom to top)

Quote:
Dear Shell Representative,

It has been close to a month since my number was provided. Could you kindly tell me if there was any action taken against the pump operators? Even if you have, it doesn't seem so since the pump operators continue to cheat. This was found again last week when the pumping gun trigger was purposely held by hand instead of locking it up. It is highly shameful to see this act continue. After charging a premium on the fuel, cheating this way is highly despicable. Unless the pump owners mend their ways, you will be losing plenty of customers.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
Sunil
__________________________________________________ __________

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 6:58 AM, Sunil <xxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

Please my number below as requested:

+91xxxxxxxxxxx

Regards,
Sunil

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 1:16 AM, <sipl-shell-reply@shell.com> wrote:

Dear Mr. Sunil,

Our Territory Manager Mr. Giriprasad Nair will contact you after we receive your contact information.

Best regards

Shell India

__________________________________________________ _________
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 11:02 PM

To: SIPL Shell reply SIPL-ENQ
Subject: Re: Your query at www.shell.com/india

Thank you for contacting back. Considering the delay in the reply, I thought that this issue was forgotten. I welcome the initiative taken to curb the inconsistency in the system and content in giving my number provided that, as a person, would like to know who I'm speaking to through email as well who would be calling me.

Hope to hear a response quicker than the previous two.

Regards,

Sunil

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:43 AM, <sipl-shell-reply@shell.com> wrote:

Dear Mr. Sunil,

We wish to thank you for taking the time and effort to write to us. In your original mail you have made some complaints against some of our sites. It would be necessary for us to have a discussion on how you arrived at the conclusion and for us in turn to explain the systemic controls that are in place to ensure that such incidents do not occur. We would also be very happy to demonstrate the measures we take at any of our sites at a time convenient to you.

We would once again request for a telephone number where our company representative can call you and look forward to hearing from you at the earliest.

Best regards

Shell India

__________________________________________________ ___________

Sent: Friday, June 18, 2010 8:03 PM
To: SIPL Shell reply SIPL-ENQ
Subject: Re: Your query at www.shell.com/india

I have personally refrained from divulging my number in the form and would like to continue communications through email. I check my mail regularly and would be providing quick reply. Please do let me know if you would be needing any details and would be glad to provide them

Thank you.

Regards,

Sunil
__________________________________________________ _________

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:36 PM, <sipl-shell-reply@shell.com> wrote:

Dear Mr. Sunil,

We shall be grateful if you could give us a number where our representative can get in touch with you to ascertain some additional information that would help us address the issues raised by you comprehensively.

Many thanks

Best regards

Shell India
I finally got a call from Giriprasad Nair asking me as to how I thought I had been cheated. He was very patient enough to listen to me and explain the details the working of the sites(the petrol pumps) and how they can assure the quality and quantity of the fuel. He even agreed to show me the quality implemented across their sites. An appointment was fixed, but unfortunately it was missed, thanks to my crazy schedules and the phone battery dying on me in the 11th hour. Rescheduled a meet and finally met him yesterday. Meeting Mr. Nair and Mr.Sabir(who is the retailer and manages the 3 bunks on Mysore Road) turned out to be a pleasant experience. As soon we introduced each other, I was asked if I would be needing water or juice, which I think is the most basic level of courtesy anyone can show

Mr. Nair went about explaining how each morning each fuel pump is tested for accuracy by pumping out 5L of fuel thrice. The measurement should be exact twice atleast. If it isn't, that hose is not used for the day. I was also demonstrated of the quantity by dispensing 5L; once by manually pumping out the amount till the brim of the measuring can and next by entering the quantity in the petrol pump. I was also told that the pump delivers exactly the amount of fuel based on the amount or quantity specified and playing around with the trigger is not possible. Coming to the quality part, when I asked if there is a litmus paper test done to check, I was told that a density check is more accurate.Again, this density test was done and shown the accuracy.

One of the best things which I saw is, the ability to manage all the fuel pumps from a central location, i.e., usually within the Shell store. While you see 2 computers in there, one is for the general billing of the commodities bought in the store, while the other runs a proprietary software which shows the status of the fuel hoses. Starting from the time the hose is lifted, the amount/quantity dispensed and till it is put back, everything can be seen in real time!!

There are few more things which I really liked. Shell takes care of its employees and safety is ALWAYS a standard. The truck drivers who deliver fuel to the stations are always expected to wear seat belts and they are subjected to random checks anywhere. All the trucks are fitted with GPS to track their movement. The employees are trained in various processes and making sure the customers are getting quality also ensures that the employees move up the ladder. There are a lot more things which can be written about the nearly 2 hours long meet, but that will be too painful for you all to read

Oil companies like HP offer petro cards and I wish Shell could come out with the same. Things like these have been thought about and it would work out once there are more sites coming up. After a quick discussion about traffic, fuel affecting the economy,etc., I took leave from the place. Below are the pics of Mr. Nair, Mr. Sabir and me(please don't mind the crazy hair do. I sleep and wake up at odd times and didn't want to be late meeting him)

Overall, I am satisified with Shell and will probably continue filling up there. However, I was not told exactly as to what would be done to check on the case I was 'cheated' the first time at that site. The only solace is, I have the contact details of Mr. Giriprasad and Mr. Sabir and would be able to check with them for any further details.

Here is the best part. Mr.Nair is also a T-Bhpian and upon mentioning that few of us might be interested in checking out the process, he was happy to schedule one more meeting at a place of our choice and demonstrate. Cool ain't it?! So, if you guys are interested, please do let me know and we can fix an appointment and check out the process.

1st pic: Mr. Sabir and Mr. Nair 2nd pic: Me and Mr. Nair
Attached Thumbnails
Trusted Petrol Pumps in Bangalore-19082010076.jpg  

Trusted Petrol Pumps in Bangalore-19082010077.jpg  

Last edited by rdna : 21st August 2010 at 23:55.
Old 22nd August 2010, 00:16   #257
BHPian

All's well that ends well
Would it be possible for you to find out if Shell has a credit facility wherein If I have a requirement of about 500litres of fuel a month(mainly diesel) I can make a monthly payment by cheque. The petrol pump I'd like to avail this facility from would be the shell pump on tumkur road. I spoke to the 'manager' in their shop inside and he said shell doesn't offer credit.
Thanks in advance
Old 22nd August 2010, 01:08   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
For regular use, one may try the IOC pump next to Salarpuria Soft Zone, Outer Ring Rd, Bellandur.

I would also like to recomend the Shell Petrol Bunk on Bellary Road (after CBI colony); it comes on left if one is moving towards City.Fuel quality and volume both are very good. I usually get a 1.5 km of diffrence between the onboard FE calculator and the tankful method. In this pump, I got 1 km/l of difference. I also felt engine to be more responsive and lighter with Shell fuel.

You may try the BP pump next to the Police Station on 27th Main, HSR Layout. This will be on the way to Koramangala, BTM, Silk Board etc via the mandatory detour due to flyover construction at Agara. Their quality and volume seems to be good.

-Pratim
Sorry for replying so late but I just had to warn people:

Do not go to the IOC pump next to Salarpuria Soft Zone, Outer Ring Rd, Bellandur!

My office is just next door, but I still avoid going there. They try their best to distract you with their cash / card tricks and I sincerely think their meters are tampered.
Old 22nd August 2010, 02:30   #259
BHPian

@raghav-You can enquire by writing to them from here https://forms.shell.com/home/formsRu..._feedback.html They should be able to give you full details, in case there are alternatives. But don't expect a quick reply from them.
Old 22nd August 2010, 11:32   #260
BHPian

Hey Rdna, I have mailed them,
To Whom It may concern:
I run a factory where my monthly requirement of fuel runs upto anything between 400-500litres of fuel(mostly diesel). I have been filling fuel from the regular PSU companies all this time due to the large price difference and have been making a monthly payment by cheque for the same to them. Now since the prices have been deregulated and the price difference isn't that substantial anymore. I would just like to find out from you if there is this credit facility I can avail of wherein I make a monthly payment by cheque at Shell.
The petrol pump in question is the Shell Outlet on Tumkur Road next to the Yeshwantpur Railway station in bangalore as other outlets would be quite a distance away from my factory and wouldn't be a viable choice.
Hoping for a positive response
Thanking you
Raghav
Lets wait and see what happens
Old 22nd August 2010, 11:55   #261
BHPian

That's great Raghav. Hopefully they should come up with something. They really work on customer loyalty. Lets hope there are more improvements as well.
Old 26th August 2010, 09:34   #262
BHPian

Anyone tried MATs Fuel next to Cosmos Mall on the Kundanahalli-Bhuruka road?? I find that he is the cheapest, Rs 57.75 for normal and the quantity is correct? The attendants are courteous and very helpful.
Old 26th August 2010, 10:12   #263
BHPian

I have been filling regularly from the HP petrol pump in Electronics City(where i work) and I find the quality and quantity to be good when compared to other pumps.
Old 26th August 2010, 10:41   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Anyone tried MATs Fuel next to Cosmos Mall on the Kundanahalli-Bhuruka road?? I find that he is the cheapest, Rs 57.75 for normal and the quantity is correct? The attendants are courteous and very helpful.
Its better than IOC Near SAP Labs , but still get 10% less milage when compare the SHell.
Either its slightly adultered or quantitiy is less.
I make a point to fill in early around 6-30 in morning.
Old 26th August 2010, 11:51   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Sorry for replying so late but I just had to warn people:

Do not go to the IOC pump next to Salarpuria Soft Zone, Outer Ring Rd, Bellandur!

My office is just next door, but I still avoid going there. They try their best to distract you with their cash / card tricks and I sincerely think their meters are tampered.
I stay nearby and fill both my cars from here regularly. Did not face any issues so far.
Old 26th August 2010, 12:20   #266
BHPian

For the HP petrol bunk in CV raman Nagar, I am getting rs.24.97 and 37.00 Rs bill after two months in credit card statement, Kindly beware, something fishy and I pointed to credit card company and blocked the card
Old 19th September 2010, 18:57   #267
BHPian

Guys please avoid the HP petrol pump in CV Raman Nagar (Opp bagmane tech park). They are very good at conning customers with their "saar.. cash-a cardu" technique and I am sure that all of their meters are rigged.
It is the same story with the BP pump in Jeevan Bhima nagar (opp to the police stn) here their expertise is with the "Rs 1000 / 800" technique.

I live in the same area and found the IBP Pump in Jeevan Bhima nagar to be trustworthy.

Last edited by Pri2 : 19th September 2010 at 19:13. Reason: Updated the pump name.
Old 19th September 2010, 22:29   #268
BHPian

Shell finally replied and they do not offer credit facility
Old 20th September 2010, 11:14   #269
BHPian

Indian Oil Marathahalli

This post is to report cheating happening in Indian Oil Bunk, Marathahalli. I am a regular customer of Matt's Fuel bunk near Cosmos for the past one year and a very happy customer. This month, to redeem my reward points in Citibank Indian Oil card for free petrol, I visited Indian Oil bunk in Marathahalli close to Brand Factory outlet. I had around 5 litres of fuel left and requested the operator to fill it up to the brim. I was happy when the operator put it in Autostop mode and left. However, after 30 seconds, a tall dark guy came for assistance and started asking how much fuel the tank will hold and so on. However, I kept my eye glued on the meter and the fuel filler. I also noticed the speed in which the numbers where changing in the meter. When it crossed 2000, this guy asked me to check if a top up is required and invited me to have a close check. I refused to do so, however he repeated 3 times and I decided to check. But, I had a glance at the figures before I did so and it was 2100. As soon as I had the look into the car's fuel tank opening, I realized there was something wrong. I turned back and saw the meter flashing Rs.2345 and the operator told me it's full. Also, worth noticing was that the total litres went in was showing blank. The moment I saw numbers flashing, I knew the meter was reset. The operator said I have to pay 2345. I said I need to see how many litres went in and he repeatedly kept on saying I should pay 2345. I said I won't pay till he shows the display which shows how many litres got consumed. Finally, he had to press a button which showed the figures before his ally reset the machine. It was 2167

Avoid this bunk at any cost and spread the word. Indianoil is a Big No for me now unless it's an emergency.

Modus Operandi was not something new.

Last edited by vinu99@gmail.co : 20th September 2010 at 11:15. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd September 2010, 08:50   #270
Senior - BHPian

Got a tankful of normal petrol (@58.20 per liter if I remember correctly) from Shell petrol bunk on the Whitefield road (towards Forum Value mall). This is the first time I am using shell petrol so will update with the mileage figures here soon.

Oh, and they gave me a hot-wheels F50 toy car as a free gift (some promotional offer). The offer is on going for tankfuls.

Most Viewed