Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Bangalore

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2022, 08:00   #1396
BHPian

Re: Trusted Petrol Pumps in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Shell has increased the price of Diesel from 9th May 2022. Now, it's Rs. 100.94, in Bangalore. Do you still feel it's worth even with a difference of Rs. 6.15. Earlier difference was around Rs. 2/-, but now the gap has widened. Or, is it an indication that soon, PSU's will increase the Fuel prices.

Petrol is Rs. 119.12, which is about Rs. 8/- more than the state owned companies. The difference of Rs. 6-8 was always there in Petrol, but probably the first time we are seeing such big difference in Diesel.
I don't think it's worth it. I have used Shell and BP/HP/IOCL in both my Tata Safari Storme as well the Jetta. In Tata the engine definitely runs smooth but returns a lower (marginal) FE. In the Jetta i don't feel any difference in performance or FE. And if you travel outstation frequently, Shell availability is low. You lose the (perceived?) performance etc when regular fuel gets mixed with Shell. Find a COCO near your home and stick with it. On highways look out for big pumps where truckers/cabbies fill up. Chances of adulteration will be low.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 15:15   #1397
BHPian

I have observed that Shell and Essar/Nayara Fuel gives better FE than the IOCL/BPCL/HPCL. I keep travelling 600 km (one way) between Bangalore and Kerala quite often (at least once a month) and have seen with a full tank (XUV500 W10 Automatic) from Kerala (BPCL/IOCL/HPCL) I reach Bangalore with the Low Fuel warning. But from Bangalore to Kerala full tank of Shell, I am left with more than half a tank on reaching home in Kerala. That is definitely a significant difference but unable to find the real reason for this phenomenon.
Old 10th June 2022, 16:05   #1398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-G View Post
600 km (one way) ... reach Bangalore with the Low Fuel warning. But from Bangalore to Kerala full tank of Shell, I am left with more than half a tank on reaching home in Kerala
That is a huge difference! Even if we factor the descent in elevation (BLR = 3000 ft above MSL, KL is at MSL) onward and ascent in return, it should not be that different.

It depends on how many frequent gear shifts and at what rpm the car drives majority of the time. Fuel consumption across vendors cannot be more than 1-2 kmpl at most.
Old 10th June 2022, 19:07   #1399
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
I have observed that Shell and Essar/Nayara Fuel gives better FE than the IOCL/BPCL/HPCL. I keep travelling 600 km (one way) between Bangalore and Kerala quite often (at least once a month) and have seen with a full tank (XUV500 W10 Automatic) from Kerala (BPCL/IOCL/HPCL) I reach Bangalore with the Low Fuel warning. But from Bangalore to Kerala full tank of Shell, I am left with more than half a tank on reaching home in Kerala. That is definitely a significant difference but unable to find the real reason for this phenomenon.
Downhill vs. uphill

Suffering increased highway traffic b/w Bangalore and Krishnagiri/Salem vs. suffering highway traffic b/w Walayar and your destination in KL.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th June 2022 at 19:57. Reason: Capitalization.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 10th June 2022, 19:17   #1400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Downhill vs. uphill

Suffering increased highway traffic b/w Bangalore and Krishnagiri/Salem vs. suffering highway traffic b/w Walayar and your destination in KL.
And both these, especially when combined - will much more gear changes by the AT box. And these changes not being in our control, neither will the FE, be.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th June 2022 at 19:57. Reason: quoted post edited`
Old 10th June 2022, 20:56   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Downhill vs. uphill
That could be a good assumption for higher fuel consumption while coming to Blore but that could be nullified considering the post noon or evening traffic between Palakkad and Kottayam which can be considered highway bumper to bumper and the enormous number of speed cameras in that stretch where the AT behaves like the traffic on Salem Blore stretch or even worse due to single carriageway between Angamaly and Kottayam.
Old 11th June 2022, 12:49   #1402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That could be a good assumption for higher fuel consumption while coming to Blore but that could be nullified considering the post noon or evening traffic between Palakkad and Kottayam which can be considered highway bumper to bumper and the enormous number of speed cameras in that stretch where the AT behaves like the traffic on Salem Blore stretch or even worse due to single carriageway between Angamaly and Kottayam.
Instead of such assumptions, it would be better to try Shell / Essar/Nayara Fuel both sides (Bangalore – Kerala – Bangalore) and then calculate the FE based on tankful method. Repeat the same with IOCL/BPCL/HPCL as well and then do the comparison. This may still not be accurate due to varied traffic condition but will definitely give a better picture.

From my experience, I always see better FE while going out of bangalore towards south. During the return the FE goes down as there are numerous inclines starting from Thoppur. I normally see a difference of 1-2 Kmpl.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 12:12   #1403
BHPian

I always go with Shell, absolutely no cheating and well trained personal, They listen to us.
Old 30th June 2022, 15:14   #1404
BHPian

Hello All,

I tried to search the forum but could not get any result on my query.

I own 2017 Elite i20 diesel which is on BS4 engine. Recently I had filled diesel from one of the COCO bunk on Tumkur road and could find that there was a lag in the pickup also the Check Engine was lit up until I drove for about 400 Kms. When we checked the vehicle I was told by the service attendant that I was filled with BS6 diesel which could have caused the issue.

Could you please let me know if there are any bunks which are still selling BS4 diesel near Vijaynagar.
Old 30th June 2022, 15:39   #1405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
.. I was told by the service attendant that I was filled with BS6 diesel which could have caused the issue.
Which COCO was it ?

Engines are BS4 / BS6. Diesel is common to all engines.
(not that there are no standards for diesel).

You may have got some contamination in the diesel there. Try at another good bunk, and see if it recurs.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 15:48   #1406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Which COCO was it ?

Engines are BS4 / BS6. Diesel is common to all engines.
(not that there are no standards for diesel).

You may have got some contamination in the diesel there. Try at another good bunk, and see if it recurs.
It was HP COCO bunk just next to Kamat near Dabaspet.

Per service attendant the Sulphur content is reduced on BS6 compliant diesel which has caused less lubrication and has caused the issue which I faced

Post this issue I have driven for almost 600 Kms and the engine doesn't rev more than 2000 rpm on 6th gear at all.
Old 30th June 2022, 15:54   #1407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It was HP COCO bunk just next to Kamat near Dabaspet.

Per service attendant the Sulphur content is reduced on BS6 compliant diesel
That doesnt look like a bad pump. Yes, sulphur content is reduced. But there's a million or so BS4 cars running on the same diesel

Put in some additive and do a break-fast run to Kolar or Kunigal side. May be a can of ABRO or such.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 16:52   #1408
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please let me know if there are any bunks which are still selling BS4 diesel near Vijaynagar.
I don't think bs4 petrol or diesel is sold anywhere in India. Only Bs6 fuel is supplied from refineries I guess. So, no fuel station can get access to bs4 fuel.
Benoit is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 22:09   #1409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
That doesnt look like a bad pump.

Put in some additive and do a break-fast run to Kolar or Kunigal side. May be a can of ABRO or such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I don't think bs4 petrol or diesel is sold anywhere in India. Only Bs6 fuel is supplied from refineries I guess. So, no fuel station can get access to bs4 fuel.
Thank you very much for the suggestions. My car is also due for service, I will have it serviced first and would see if additive is required.
Old 11th July 2022, 18:10   #1410
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

I went to Shell Bellandur today and was surprised (almost shocked) that diesel rate is Rs 126/ltr and V-power diesel is Rs 129. I thought they are telling me the petrol rates and had to ask and confirm again that it is indeed diesel rates. I usually do a tankful which lasts 2 / 2.5 months for my very limited usage, so i was filling it after a gap of around 2.5 months (had filled last in April) . I knew that Crude oil price is hitting $110/$120 per barrel etc but had no idea that Shell Diesel has gone past Rs 125.

Thinking may be I am not up to date on the fuel pricing (with inflation around everywhere etc), I got the tankful done and after coming back home I thought of checking the diesel rate of IOCL/BP/HP etc and online / web it says bangalore diesel rate is around Rs 90. I can't fathom how can there be such a huge difference of Rs 35 between PSU ones and Shell. Earlier the difference used to be around 5 Rs between these.

If indeed the price difference between PSU vs Shell has become this much (anything beyond 8-10Rs difference is way too much IMO), I guess I now need to switch to PSU ones and so I tried finding a COCO bunk one near Bellandur, Marathalli, Sarjapur junction area but couldn't find one.

Any recommendations for a good PSU bunk around my area ? I am ok to travel even 5-10 Kms to go to a reputed PSU bunk as I fill only after 2 months. Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed