Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2021, 21:20   #6181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Bought a Riverside 50 early last year and have been thinking of an upgrade. These days, I cycle 10-15 kms daily in and around Indiranagar and I think I am looking to bump it up a little and go to 25 kms a day. Have done under 2000 kms on this current bicycle.

Current issues
1. Would prefer some gears
2. Itch to get a new one since this was bought to see whether or not I cycle regularly
3. maybe a better saddle - but that can possibly be upgraded

Budget: I was pretty sure I wanted a Triban RC 100 FB till about a few months back. So ~25k INR

What changed: Sherlocked posted a picture of his Rockrider ST30 and its a stunner. And then I see a couple of other Rockrider ST options on the website (availability is to be checked) that I think would be better suited

So experts, what do you suggest?
Will you use this bike only to continue commuting within Indiranagar and generally within the city limits?

If yes, please don’t buy the rc100. Stick to the ST30.

However, if you venture down old madras road, and onto the blissful Kolar Road and start doing 30-40 kms on the trot, the rc100 it is.

You know, I would actually do something like this. Keep that riverside for the Indiranagar weekday run abouts of 10-15 kms. And get the rc100 for the weekend endurance rides of 50+ kms. How about that? You get to have two bikes and use them for what they have been designed for. And now you can go and get that rc100 drop bar. Gorgeous baby.

I can’t believe I am writing posts like this within a month of getting my own lol!

Last edited by Red Liner : 21st July 2021 at 21:23.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 23:36   #6182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Will you use this bike only to continue commuting within Indiranagar and generally within the city limits?

If yes, please don’t buy the rc100. Stick to the ST30.

However, if you venture down old madras road, and onto the blissful Kolar Road and start doing 30-40 kms on the trot, the rc100 it is.

You know, I would actually do something like this. Keep that riverside for the Indiranagar weekday run abouts of 10-15 kms. And get the rc100 for the weekend endurance rides of 50+ kms. How about that? You get to have two bikes and use them for what they have been designed for. And now you can go and get that rc100 drop bar. Gorgeous baby.

I can’t believe I am writing posts like this within a month of getting my own lol!
I would be lying if I said that this thought did not cross my mind. And your post is tempting!

Currently, I dont see myself doing those weekend endurance rides, but then till last year I did not see myself riding so much. Will need to sleep over this and see how I feel about it.
Old 22nd July 2021, 07:49   #6183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would be lying if I said that this thought did not cross my mind. And your post is tempting!

Currently, I dont see myself doing those weekend endurance rides, but then till last year I did not see myself riding so much. Will need to sleep over this and see how I feel about it.
Do it once and you will never ever go back.

I was like you a month back. Told all these guys here i only wanna commute blah blah. Luckily they coerced me into a drop bar.

Then i went on my first 50k last Saturday onto the highway.

Everything these guys said came true. Lucky i listened and i spent over my budget and got a bike i enjoy.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 09:42   #6184
BHPian

Question to the experts. Is driving on the toughest gears most of the time result in chain stretch. I have a tendency of driving the bicycle at the toughest gears (3 in the front an 8 at the rear) even on slopes to try build my endurance.

I have till date driven around 1500 KM but feel that the chain has stretched. Do not have the tool to measure it. Is there a simpler way of checking it. The reason I think that the chain has stretched is because yesterday while cleaning the drivetrain I could see that the chain did not have a perfect fit in the largest (3rd gear) chainring.
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:44   #6185
BHPian

OK, an absolute noob question:

Why are most bicycles in this forum sans mud guards?
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:56   #6186
BHPian

Quote:
What changed: Sherlocked posted a picture of his Rockrider ST30 and its a stunner. And then I see a couple of other Rockrider ST options on the website (availability is to be checked) that I think would be better suited

So experts, what do you suggest?
Thanks. ST30 is a great bike and fulfilling my needs to the T.

Yesterday, I rode it in the evening time amidst the usual heavy traffic and I can't tell how easy it was to maneuver and keep up with the bigger vehicles.

Although, I am currently facing some drivetrain issues (noise from the bottom bracket or the RD) and hope it gets resolved.

If your height is above 6 feet then I would advice you to first try the bike out and then purchase. It doesn't come in XL size.

I would advice against ST100 as it comes with non-lockable front suspension and if you don't do trails then the suspension won't be of much use.

If I was in your place, then as RedLiner said, I will keep the Riverside for city use and get that delicious RC100 drop bar.
Old 22nd July 2021, 11:02   #6187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
OK, an absolute noob question:

Why are most bicycles in this forum sans mud guards?
Because everyone here is vain man. Vain with a capital V

In seriousness
-Additional weight
-Monsoon only hack
-Sludge makes it way to nooks and crannies which get difficult to clean out later according to ebonho
-makes you look like a granny (no offence to anyone's granny) according to vb san
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 11:10   #6188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Because everyone here is vain man. Vain with a capital V

In seriousness
-Additional weight
-Monsoon only hack
-Sludge makes it way to nooks and crannies which get difficult to clean out later according to ebonho
-makes you look like a granny (no offence to anyone's granny) according to vb san
I said instead of protecting they actually direct the muddy water directly on to the drivetrain that would otherwise (without mudguards) just fling itself free in fan shaped arcs ... on to your face and front, on to your back and on to the face and front of the pro peloton rider trying to save watts in your draft.

As an example ...

Look at the saddlebag under the ass saver. It collected 3x the amount of mud it normally does on a wet ride without an ass saver on.

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20210722111221.png

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd July 2021 at 11:18.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 11:17   #6189
BHPian

Thanks all. I dont know if it is just me in love with the colour of the ST30 or that I have this itch in my head to upgrade the Riverside because it feels like its time. Maybe I need to try the ST30 out once and see for myself whether it is even an upgrade.

If it is, I was thinking that maybe I go ahead upgrade to the ST30 right now, and then figure if I want to add the RC 100 DB as well later this year.
akshaymahajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 11:20   #6190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all. I dont know if it is just me in love with the colour of the ST30 or that I have this itch in my head to upgrade the Riverside because it feels like its time. Maybe I need to try the ST30 out once and see for myself whether it is even an upgrade.

If it is, I was thinking that maybe I go ahead upgrade to the ST30 right now, and then figure if I want to add the RC 100 DB as well later this year.
You must buy what you want.

Not what you reason out in your head.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 11:50   #6191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Just a comment on this – ideal to go and check the bike in person, don’t just go by the colour. From my limited experience, how the bike feels while riding is very important, otherwise it will be another piece of metal gathering dust in the garage/basement. With the right bike your planned 25km rides will soon get into 40-50 km runs within no time.

Quote:
Did I really say that?
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 11:58   #6192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Just a comment on this – ideal to go and check the bike in person, don’t just go by the colour. From my limited experience, how the bike feels while riding is very important, otherwise it will be another piece of metal gathering dust in the garage/basement. With the right bike your planned 25km rides will soon get into 40-50 km runs within no time.

Did I really say that?
Agree with VB San's comment on getting a good test ride. Though I didn't but everything worked out.

Just having some fun at your expense lah!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 14:00   #6193
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all. I dont know if it is just me in love with the colour of the ST30 ..
Well let me tempt you more then
Clicked yesterday on an off road kinda track.
The Bicycles thread-img_20210721_064858.jpg

But as vb-san said, take a good test ride and then decide. I was once stuck with a wrong bike and I know the pain.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 14:04   #6194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Attachment 2182422
Sadly Decathlon does not sell these forks as spares, because they would be great for many MTB riders who've now become seasoned cyclists and realised the suckiness of their cheap pogo stick suspension forks.

A similar fork on my classic old school rigid fork Hercules Top Gear MTB with cantilever brakes. But with a beautiful curve that combined with the twin bow steel frame and brilliant wide narrow high quality hubs just simply gives it a sublime ride and the best rolling of all my bikes.

The Bicycles thread-img_20170613_064449.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20170613_064618.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20170613_064505.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20170616_062511.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20170616_062141.jpg

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd July 2021 at 14:22.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 14:27   #6195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Attachment 2182422

But as vb-san said, take a good test ride and then decide. I was once stuck with a wrong bike and I know the pain.
How much is this bike? I don’t mind one more comfy bike to get around a bit of town if this isn’t too expensive.

Most Viewed