Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2021, 05:32   #6226
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,450
Thanked: 10,598 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yes bro I totally agree. Anyways it is your bike so you are the primary stakeholder. Advice is always free (unless you're a Consultant lol). But I must confess an inability to do the data mining and archival work that will be involved. Tedious and time consuming it will be ... though a search for Squirt could yield most in one result page
I will have those two topics created by tomorrow

Am sure vb san can also contribute to this initial push. We can have a separate thread for maintaining the right tyre pressure for instance. One more for the right bike bags. List is endless

And your fav topic... Buying the right frame size lol!
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 05:56   #6227
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 5,318
Thanked: 6,527 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I will have those two topics created by tomorrow

Am sure vb san can also contribute to this initial push. We can have a separate thread for maintaining the right tyre pressure for instance. One more for the right bike bags. List is endless

And your fav topic... Buying the right frame size lol!
I do have a lot of posts on the ACT and how I've built her up over the years, one little piece here, one little piece there. Gearing. Used bike market and deals and how to go about it (Ninja). We have some great travel threads in Travelogues that kind of get lost there which vould be migrated. Lights. Essentials for a new biker. Cycle wear.

And the most popular, I am coming back to cycling after xx tears, I've put on xx kilos, I only want to cycle xx days/km for fitness, and yy km on the weekends, and I'm looking for a normal bike in zz budget. Which bike will be best for me.

Last edited by ebonho : 24th July 2021 at 06:02.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 08:41   #6228
Team-BHP Support
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 6,336
Thanked: 8,687 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
It would be epic though if we have a separate sub forum for bicycles. This thread has a gold mine of information that can be collated to host an entire wiki of sub-topics related to cycling.
Here you go!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicycles/


--------

Did a 65km loop this morning, mostly on dedicated tracks and a bit on road (maybe around 10km).

The Bicycles thread-img_9832.png

The road segment was interesting. Early morning traffic was sparse and running good speeds was easy. I had two road bikes in front – a Trek Madone and a Specialized; I was keeping up with them for almost the whole duration on road (always feel safe to follow a group when on road), but it was a hard task even with my bike running on the highest gear. Still have to say, the FX3 is indeed a superstar for its price and ability

The Bicycles thread-img_9820.jpg

Maybe a basic question - what does these zones means?
It says 47.5% on Zone 3 Tempo, 40% on Zone 2 Moderate, 10.5% on Zone 3 Threshold, and 2% on Zone 1 Endurance.

The Bicycles thread-img_9831.png

Last edited by vb-san : 24th July 2021 at 08:47.
vb-san is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 10:56   #6229
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 122
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Awesome, thanks a lot!

Quote:
Maybe a basic question - what does these zones means?
It says 47.5% on Zone 3 Tempo, 40% on Zone 2 Moderate, 10.5% on Zone 3 Threshold, and 2% on Zone 1 Endurance.
You can check https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/kn...--heart-rate-0 . For the numbers to be accurate, you need to perform an LTHR test (similar to the FTP test which is based on power, but this is HR based) and enter the values on Strava. I think Strava has made these features premium, but there is a free chrome extension called Elevate for Strava which gives you much more detailed metrics.
itisravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 11:17   #6230
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 5,318
Thanked: 6,527 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Wow man! Team BHP team is in top gear now. 2 hours of deep clean of my drivetrain I come back and again I cannot find my cycle thread!!!!!! Lol Thanks a ton vb-san. Great effort man.

Great job guys. I am simply luvvvvving it.

Last edited by vb-san : 26th July 2021 at 18:45. Reason: Splitting post to relevant threads
ebonho is online now  
Old 24th July 2021, 11:40   #6231
Team-BHP Support
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 6,336
Thanked: 8,687 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
Awesome, thanks a lot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Great job guys. I am simply luvvvvving it.
GTO created the sub-section and have already moved a few threads in there. Aditya will be moving more in the coming week.

More brand/model ownership threads and technical threads will make the section a ready reference for folks who want to get into the biking arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi
Thank you for this, very informative.
vb-san is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 11:50   #6232
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 5,318
Thanked: 6,527 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
GTO created the sub-section and have already moved a few threads in there. Aditya will be moving more in the coming week.

More brand/model ownership threads and technical threads will make the section a ready reference for folks who want to get into the biking arena.


Thank you for this, very informative.
Really a superb effort by the Admin team. Thanks a ton GTO, Aditya, you and team.

3 pages worth of cycle topics is hardly a few man. I thought there won't be mire than 10 ro be honest!

Slowly we will get the hang of the different dedicated threads as we use them (or simply get to know they are there!) and start diverging from the Bicycles mega thread I guess.

Fir the zones, the go to reference for me and most guys who train by HR or Power is Training Peaks.

They use the Coggan's charts which are the definitive ones for zone training for athletes worldwide.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 13:03   #6233
BHPian
 
carthick1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CJB-Driel
Posts: 359
Thanked: 1,448 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Thanks admin team!!

What a fantastic morning to wake up and find a bicycles sub-forum in team-bhp. Already see 3 pages of topics and probably more to come when the mega thread starts to get organized. Nice initiative from all the contributors to request for such a sub-forum.

In the coming years, I would not be surprised if team-bhp is not only redlining Indian automotive scene, but also the whole Indian mobility scene.

Cheers,
Karthik
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:32   #6234
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 820
Thanked: 2,407 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Hi Eric,

I have the integrated Shimano Tourney 7-speed ST EF51 brake-shifter combos on my Hercules ACT 110 hybrid.

I now have a spare perfect condition (and a lot newer) 7-speed Altus right side shifter and rear derailleur to use on my bike if I can get them to work.

I want to use the Altus shifter in addition to the rear derailleur on my bike in place of my Tourney units. Any improvement in rear shift quality and crispness will be a really good upgrade, even the gearing remaining the same!

But you see the problem ... I have integrated brake lever and shifter... do I need to ditch the whole old unit, and get a separate brake lever to go along with the Altus shifter?

Attaching a photo of my bike so you can see my brake-shifter units up close ...

Attachment 2179039
That is a really great looking ACT, Doc... after all your references to it, this is the first I'm actually getting a look.

A lot of new budget bikes are now coming with a non-integrated setup, so best option IMO is to forego any jugaad and just buy a cheap set of separate levers. Suncross spares division (or equivalent) has decent all-alloy units with standard fine-thread cable adjusters, I think for only a few hundred rupees/pair. I've done this on my ACT105 and my wife's old Suncross, and both work and look great. Pure desi brands (as pictured here on my ACT108 with the SRAM shifters)

The Bicycles thread-img_20210725_113448_1o.jpg

are many and even cheaper, and I have no real issues with their (bit flexy) plastic yokes, but usually their adjusters are useless.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 25th July 2021 at 11:45.
ringoism is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:54   #6235
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 5,318
Thanked: 6,527 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
That is a really great looking ACT, Doc... after all your references to it, this is the first I'm actually getting a look.

A lot of new budget bikes are now coming with a non-integrated setup, so best option IMO is to forego any jugaad and just buy a cheap set of separate levers. Suncross spares division (or equivalent) has decent all-alloy units with standard fine-thread cable adjusters, I think for only a few hundred rupees/pair. I've done this on my ACT105 and my wife's old Suncross, and both work and look great. Pure desi brands are many and even cheaper, and I have no real issues with their plastic yokes, but usually their adjusters are useless.

-Eric
Thanks Eric. Now that we have our own Cycling sub-forum I'm wondering how to collate all my posts (with photos) about her over the years into a single dedicated ownership and fettling exoerience thread.

Yup Decathlon too sells a set of levers for 5-600 odd bucks. But they are silver in color. I'd prefer the continuation of the overall Black anodized theme as on the rest of the bike.

These are the two main new bits I'm talking about ...

The Bicycles thread-img20210716wa0041.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img20210716wa0040.jpg

And this is the current drivetrain on my ACT for the Tourney crank, derailleurs and trigger shifters.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210724_110842.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210721_090746.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210719_204226.jpg

P.S. I thought you had missed my post because you would not be getting any new notifications as I could not reach you on PM as well on account of your Inbox being full. Please clean it out!

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 12:07   #6236
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 820
Thanked: 2,407 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yup Decathlon too sells a set of levers for 5-600 odd bucks. But they are silver in color. I'd prefer the continuation of the overall Black anodized theme as on the rest of the bike.

These are the two main new bits I'm talking about ...
And this is the current drivetrain on my ACT for the Tourney crank, derailleurs and trigger shifters.

P.S. I thought you had missed my post because you would not be getting any new notifications as I could not reach you on PM as well on account of your Inbox being full. Please clean it out! lol
Yeah, sorry, I did miss it, have been super busy de-commissioning my workshop (victim of hotel development unfortunately) and getting set up to do the cycle work here at home. Five years' worth of accumulated "junk" over there, so it was probably about time anyway, a bit "freeing".

Your parts are very familiar to me, I have the same setup on the 105. Black anodized may not be available everywhere though I think I have had one or two of unknown origin in my parts bin. I suppose you could paint/ powder-coat a shiny lever or else go for all-black-plastic desi one, if you can bear the flexiness. My ancient (imported) Decathlon Riverside has all-black plastic ones that are actually quite rigid and have okay adjusters, and I'd think some of the new India-market stuff out there would be similar.

Ah, here we go... (I forget what I have sometimes) - Giant Revel (2016-ish)... black anodized...

The Bicycles thread-img_20210725_121940.jpg

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 25th July 2021 at 12:22.
ringoism is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 12:21   #6237
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 5,318
Thanked: 6,527 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Yeah, sorry, I did miss it, have been super busy de-commissioning my workshop (victim of hotel development unfortunately) and getting set up to do the cycle work here at home. Five years' worth of accumulated "junk" over there, so it was probably about time anyway, a bit "freeing".

Your parts are very familiar to me, I have the same setup on the 105. Black anodized may not be available everywhere though I think I have had one or two of unknown origin in my parts bin. I suppose you could paint/ powder-coat a shiny lever or else go for all-black-plastic desi one, if you can bear the flexiness. My ancient (imported) Decathlon Riverside has all-black plastic ones that are actually quite rigid and have okay adjusters, and I'd think some of the new India-market stuff out there would be similar.

-Eric
My main question is will the new parts be enough of an improvement over the existing ones to justify the hassle?

With the rear derailleur alone be aa big improvement? Or will the shifter make the bigger difference?

My main issue which I'm facing right now is in the smallest cogs at the rear, moving up to the larger next 3 (or sometimes 4) cogs. The thumb shifter moves two clicks but the chain moves up only one cog. Then I have to do one click back with the index finger shifter so that the chain does not tick.

This does not happen on the last 3 (or 4) last big lowest cogs.

I've just gotten used to doing two shifts for ever one now. Not a major issue. Was just wondering if (and which) of these new parts would solve this.

I don't think it's an indexing issue because I've had the indexing done by 3-4 different guys over the years and the current setting is the best compromise, in that I at least have full use of all 21 speeds, with the chain actually shifting properly (and not jumping) on to each of the 7 rear cogs, in each of the 3 front rings. So I'm not majorly fussed. Old bikes, like old men and old women, deserve their quirks!!!

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 25th July 2021 at 12:25.
ebonho is online now  
Old 25th July 2021, 12:28   #6238
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: KL-7/ KL-8
Posts: 347
Thanked: 637 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Hey fellow cyclists.

I am on the look out for a MTB and whilst browsing online, I came across this brand called Ninety-One. On visiting their website it says KTM cycle industries with the KTM orange brand logo. Does anyone have any experience with this brand, in the first person or know someone who has one of these bikes. Are they a legit company with good quality products?.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline  
Old 25th July 2021, 12:29   #6239
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 820
Thanked: 2,407 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
My main question is will the new parts be enough of an improvement over the existing ones to justify the hassle?

With the rear derailleur alone be aa big improvement? Or will the shifter make the bigger difference?

My main issue which I'm facing right now is in the smallest cogs at the rear, moving up to the larger next 3 (or sometimes 4) cogs. The thumb shifter moves two clicks but the chain moves up only one cog. Then I have to do one click back with the index finger shifter so that the chain does not tick.

This does not happen on the last 3 (or 4) last big lowest cogs.

I've just gotten used to doing two shifts for ever one now. Not a major issue. Was just wondering if (and which) of these new parts would solve this.

Cheers, Doc
Well, the Altus/Acera rear derailleurs are definitely more rigid than the Tourney, so that's a good thing and may help alleviate the issue. Shifter itself may not be much different performance-wise, the integrated ones are considered pretty okay but I still prefer the non-integrated, and the conversion process is pretty painless, not much more time/hassle involved than changing a set of cables.

On that note might be worth a look at the cables, gear cable housing is supposed to be smaller diameter but sometimes mechanics put the bigger brake housing, and I suspect the extra slop in there can cause this issue. Basically if everything's not moving 100% freely and at the same time good and "tight" (devoid of slack/play), shifting gets compromised.

-Eric
ringoism is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 12:37   #6240
BHPian
 
TorqueIndia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Kottayam,DXB
Posts: 347
Thanked: 1,525 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

How is the new gen line up from HERO cycles ? Saw few pics online, any owners here ?

Hero sprint 24" 21Speed MTB is available at 12K
Link
TorqueIndia is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks