Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2021, 14:48   #856

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Thank you so much! Will surely post updates. I might not hold on to the VTEC as mentioned in the post, lets see what the future holds
Old 31st December 2021, 14:51   #857

Re: Garage Update form ManualTribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
Congrats on the beauty, I feel a bold spoiler with rally stickering will enhance the looks, please post more updates as and when you do any upgrades.
Thanks so much! I however intend to part ways with the VTEC as mentioned in the post, lets see what the futurte holds. Heartbroken, but optimistic haha
Old 2nd January 2022, 00:58   #858

Hello everyone.
To begin with, I wish everyone a very happy, safe and happy 2022 ahead.

I'm a class 12 student turning 18 in 2 months. I have some basic experience of driving our '05 Swift around the colony under my father's supervision. We are upgrading to a new Tata Nexon around my birthday Although I'm a diehard petrolhead, I'm apprehensive of driving our brand new car, considering this is our first new car after a wait of more than 12 years.

So my dad has suggested me to buy a beater car to hone my skills in and around Bangalore, before jumping to the Nexon. He's given me a budget of 2-2.5L. Also he's given me full freedom to choose any car I want under his budget.

However tempting his offer may be, being a college student, I really don't want to burn his money on unreliable cars. So I have a set of requirements:

- Safety: At least ABS and an airbag (better if two)
- Performance: Enough to enjoy occasional open stretches of road
- Space: I'm 6'3 so driver seat comfort is paramount. Happy if 4 adults can sit for long durations without complaints.
- Reliability: The last thing i'd want as a college student is my car to break down. So leaning towards Japanese and Koreans
- Economy: At least enough to keep indian dads happy
-Features: Just some basics, like power steering, AC, power windows and a basic music system are enough to satisfy me (hopefully my other mates as well )
Also important are ground clearance for Bangalore roads and decent boot space. No discrimination among fuels. But given my possible running, I would prefer petrol. Major running would be in the city.

Although all the other suggestions in this forum, like the Civic, City 1st gen, Esteem etc. seem like great choices, I'm apprehensive as to how my dad would treat me with a huge low slung sedan vs if I get a simple practical hatchback.

So considering my requirements I have shortlisted a few cars:
MS Swift/Dzire/SX4/Ritz (SX4 because uncle owns a '10 petrol and vouched for it)
Hyundai i10/i20 (Verna wild card entry, maybe?)
VW Polo
Honda Jazz
Toyota Corolla (only exception because dad approved)
Ford Figo

Deliberately staying away from Germans because my dad's friends have had literal nightmares with their VW's and Skodas. Although I do know that it's not the case for everyone, it's a scar too deep to be healed for him.

To sum it up, I'm going the typical 'uncle' route of buying a fuss free reliable car under a tight budget.

Also, what are the mod potentials of these cars? In case I do get the itch to mod, can anyone recommend good tuners in Bangalore? I wouldn't go too crazy on the mods, especially on the performance front. A stage 1 or 2 tune would suffice.

Please provide your suggestions and thoughts.
Thanks and cheers!
Tronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 06:33   #859
Senior - BHPian

You can also search for a well maintained Honda Brio. That’s one god car that’ll tick most of your asks.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 23:13   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronix View Post
I'm a class 12 student turning 18 in 2 months. I have some basic experience of driving our '05 Swift around the colony under my father's supervision. We are upgrading to a new Tata Nexon around my birthday Although I'm a diehard petrolhead, I'm apprehensive of driving our brand new car, considering this is our first new car after a wait of more than 12 years.

So my dad has suggested me to buy a beater car to hone my skills in and around Bangalore, before jumping to the Nexon. He's given me a budget of 2-2.5L. Also he's given me full freedom to choose any car I want under his budget.
Considering your requirement and your very good intent to not let Dad spend too much on car, I would also suggest you to keep focus on hatchback.
This will be daily use vehicle and main focus is to improve your driving skills, I will suggest you to stay away from fast sedans. i10 is good choice. Remember you have to keep aside 20-30K for initial maintenance/fixes.
mytbhp_turbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 23:55   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MS Swift/Dzire/SX4/Ritz (SX4 because uncle owns a '10 petrol and vouched for it)
VW Polo
Honda Jazz
Ford Figo

To sum it up, I'm going the typical 'uncle' route of buying a fuss free reliable car under a tight budget.
Hyundai petrols offered here are nothing to write home about and also the ergonomics aren't really as spot on as they can be.

I can tell you that the SX4 1.6, Jazz, Brio and Corolla all make for good cars

Figo was never offered with any convincing petrol mill and Polo is simply too cramped (if you can live with the cramped feeling, then go for it )

Lastly, do look into the used 1st Gen Swift. You have grown up with one. Is it still around? Fix it if it is (a maruti is a great car to start to understand since parts are cheap and immediately available for any kind of job). If it isn't still with you then think about buying one used I honestly feel like 1st gen Swifts might attain cult status and thereby retain their value if not go up a bit.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 06:51   #862

Quote:

VW Polo
Honda Jazz
Ford Figo...
Hey Tronix,

I really enjoy finding guys my age group who are all into cars and stuff mad like me.

Considering that our board exams semester 2 are on the line, I would easily say that the way you are going to score is going to affect this thing too.

Apart from everything, I really love the choices you have in mind. I have been exactly at the place where you are right now. The requirements you mentioned however say that you want at least 4 people sitting in the car with no complaints. Hence, kick half the hatches out of your list I'd say. The polo especially because your hunt for one without the typical VAG issues is going to cost you an eternity. Plus the major services at 60k and 120k are gonna set you back a good amount of money no matter how much of maintenance you are going to look out for from your end.

I would suggest you to consider the SX4 and the Corolla as your best option. Even the Civic and City would be great.

If you don't have the issues of low ground clearance a good pre-owned sedan is going to be one of your finest bets. Check out the Fiesta 1.6 too. They are really comfortable and honestly will feel solid and heavy to drive rather than the new easy going cars one can buy off the rack. The raw pleasure of driving such cars is something much better than driving a new car.

Even I to one point love my Polo 1.0TSI, but even after doing a few tweaks around it and getting a decent power bump by a Stage 1 tune, the car is nowhere as fun as an old NA V-Tec of the same power category. I'd just suggest you to make a choice in such a manner that you do not regret this choice of yours for the upcoming college years.

Wish you luck for your search mate. And all the best for your boards lol. Cheers!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th April 2022 at 16:13. Reason: trimmed quote / spacing for readability
k.e.s.h.a.v.57 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 10:23   #863
BHPian

Quote:

VW Polo
Honda Jazz
Ford Figo...

Quoting my response from another thread:

I would strongly suggest the Maruti Suzuki Ritz, having driven it around for a year (petrol), it's a fun to drive little hatch. Not the fastest around but that K12 engine is revv happy and would be a great beginner car. It is as much fun as a Swift but more spacious and practical. The diesel is a great choice too (fuel efficient).Also comes with the advantages of being a Maruti and has good mod potential. And I think the Ritz looks great even today.

Good luck with your search

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd February 2022 at 15:07. Reason: trimmed quote
DIV17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 22:08   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManualTribe View Post
Garage Update

Im going to mix it up a little here, and bring to you both ownership reviews of my babies.
Lovely, lovely post! I like your unbridled enthusiasm, and your passion clearly shows. The student bit resonated with me. You’ve got quite a lot of interesting tales to tell, I feel, and it’s a shame that the VTEC has to go! Wishing to learn a lot more from you on the forum.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 22:43   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are upgrading to a new Tata Nexon around my birthday. I'm apprehensive of driving our brand new car, considering this is our first new car after a wait of more than 12 years. So my dad has suggested me to buy a beater car to hone my skills in and around Bangalore.
Unless you guys really have use for 2 cars at the same time, there is no point in getting an old used car just for honing driving skills. You already have some basic driving experience. Enrol in a good driving school to hone your skills while getting your license and take on the Nexon, with some initial handholding from your Dad. You should be good.

Dual cars means twice the time/effort/money, not to mention the maintenance baggage that comes with used cars.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 00:20   #866

Thanks so much @thehelix0202! Here to learn along the way and yes, many more tales to come !

I agree. the VTEC going is a shame but I'm hoping it allows me to quickly figure out a new fun daily

Looking forward to interact with you and everybody else on the forum more
Old 23rd February 2022, 00:23   #867

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Lovely, lovely post! I like your unbridled enthusiasm, and your passion clearly shows. The student bit resonated with me. You’ve got quite a lot of interesting tales to tell, I feel, and it’s a shame that the VTEC has to go! Wishing to learn a lot more from you on the forum.
Thanks so much! Yes its a shame she has to go but im hoping that makes way for a fun daily in sometime

Looking forward to share more and have more interactions with likeminded enthusiasts like you !
ManualTribe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 14:01   #868
SJB

Hi everyone!

I'm a 24 yrs old banker based out of chennai and I've been driving a fiat Grande Punto for a few years and I really love that car! However it lacks a lot of specifications considering it is the base model. And since it's getting old now I find it a bit difficult to maintain as well (spare parts) but luckily it didn't make me do any major mechanical works until now.

However I'm planning to replace my car with an used car under 6 lakhs, and I'm looking for Renault duster at the moment. But is there any other car which I go for? And the next car should be with me for the next 5-8 years so I really need a car that is reliable

And I'm looking for sedan or SUV as I've owned hatchback for years however if there any hatchbacks I'm open to that as well.

I've been driving petrol cars for years however I'm open to diesel options as well.

Please help me find my next car. Any suggestions will be helpful. TIA
SJB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 07:17   #869
BANNED

So.....The thing is that, I posted earlier on this thread about getting a car after my school days for like 2L. I was suggested to buy an SX4 1.6 because of it's NA 1.6 engine which would be perfect for Kashmir. But all the cars i looked for were beaten down. So i figured i can wait. Now fast forward to today, i'm in college and i really need a car. But the thing is that i might need to commute to kashmir from jammu, and i don't like turbo cars now because of my bad experience with turbo cars in kashmir, it's something about the altitude and people not idling their cars after extensive trips and destroying their turbo. So an NA car would be a good choice i guess. But please tell me if I'm wrong about the turbo thing cuz I'm not sure. I need something with good linear power.

So what's different today is that i have a new budget and a good one. It's less than 6L.
So what i want to know is the most cliche thing ever,
What's a good car with good linear power which i can take to bad roads and can be fun.
And i know the brio is fun and all, but i would prefer something slightly more spacious. See i would prefer a high seated car, but i can also do with any other as long as it can take me from A to B with bad roads and sometimes snow....and......can also be fun when it's not snowing.
I did find an AWD Duster for 5.30L but it was a second hander which somehow only had 65k. I don't want a jeep like car because it's getting too cliche and is not worth the inconvenience just to have some big and thick tires which i don't like now because every normie in college owns one. I know dusters are common as well but they are subtle and powerful. But I've heard there are better cars which are not necessarily SUV's.
So someone please spare me some of there car scene knowledge so i can use the last of my remaining brain cells to understand and get a nice car that might be cool. I really don't care about the interiors but do care about space and power.

The car scene here in India is so frustrating sometimes. I wanna cry.
Old 6th April 2022, 20:13   #870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaam View Post
So what i want to know is the most cliche thing ever,
What's a good car with good linear power which i can take to bad roads and can be fun......I did find an AWD Duster for 5.30L.........The car scene here in India is so frustrating sometimes. I wanna cry.
If AWD is a must then you will unfortunately have to stick with an SUV if you need something reliable. A Yeti if Diesel is your flavor or if you too prefer the nectar of the gods, then a 2.4L Grand Vitara would fit the bill perfectly and the best part is you can even start by asking your local Maruti dealers since most of the GVs visit the ASC only and even the owners of these dealerships might themselves currently own a Grand Vitara

Or else the only options you have are like buying a Cedia in good nick for cheap and then burning money trying to fit it with AWD and a boost to its performance capabilities. Or a Forester but these are not simple cars to deal with and maintain in India so I cannot personally recommend going this route.

Car scene is definitely pretty sad in India the only way to get something fun is by taking up the headache of building it yourself.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed