Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2022, 03:58   #901
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by barath_rudraksh View Post
Thanks alot for clearing me up. I seldom hear someone praising petrol engines better than their diesel counter parts. Btw, what is the FE of Etios Petrol in city rides?
Really? Perhaps that is the norm when you compare 1.2 liter petrols constricted by our tax regulations or 1 liter 3 cylinder turbo petrols. But if you've got an appropriately sized 1.5/1.6 liter NA petrol or 1.2/1.4 turbo petrol then no 1.3 multijet or 1.5dci diesel will be able to compete. Trouble is there are cycles where the market favors either diesel or petrol due to tax regulations and never both thus you will be hard pressed to find a car with appropriate engine options in both diesel and petrol variety to fairly compare. At the end of the day there is a reason why sports cars are petrol and not diesel because dynamically speaking, a petrol mill is better suited to driving spiritedly. I would imagine an Etios petrol would give you anywhere between 12-14 kmpl in the city depending on aircon usage and traffic density. Although that is par for the course, if you find it too low, the car will make up for it by being far more fun to drive than the diesel variant (hence why TRD was only sold in petrol flavour) and also by requiring far less maintenance expenditure since everything from the mounts to the suspension to the driveshafts and the chassis itself will face far less stresses than if it were a diesel plus the fact that it is not turbocharged and runs a lower compression means that engine internals will also be far less stressed and require less maintenance in the long term.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 18:30   #902

Hello, I'm in the market to buy a used car under 4 lakhs.
Recently came across a Ford Aspire 2017 1.5 TDCI titanium model with 86k on odo in excellent condition. Car has another year of is extended warranty and also has zero dep insurance. Looks clean and drives well. Seller will most likely be willing to part for 3.8L

My only issue is the really hard clutch and stiff gear shifts. While this is a known issue with Ford diesels, driving this car will be a pain in the city.

Looking for your comments/suggestions.
Thank you
Old 14th May 2023, 05:49   #903
BHPian

Hello all,
Need some advice!!

I'm in the market with a budget of 5 lakhs. This is an all inclusive budget, which mean the cost of the car + service+ parts cost should be net 5 lakhs. For example If I buy a car for 4.25 , I might spend 75k for new tyres + probably new struts+ a proper service including brake pads.

Here are my requirements.
1) Fun to drive car. Should handle well. HB or Sedan will do.
2) Shouldn't cost more than 15k annually to maintain.
3) Parts should be easily available.
4) No diesel. Should be a petrol only, leaning towards non turbo from the long term perspective as I will keep the car for 5 years.
5) City FE upto 13kmpl or more.

Here are my considerations please add more if I've missed any.
1) 2006 to 2009 Swift ZXI ( I prefer the better brakes + I won't need to spend on alloys when I change to a good brand of tyres)
2) 2008 to 2012 Honda City ( ANHC) ( Just worried about GC and the reviews say it's an average handling car more for ride comfort only. )
3) 2010 upto 2016 Swift ZXI with the K series engine, not sure if I'll get a good car at my price point under 75000kms??
4) Honda brio ( I am 6 feet tall. I don't think I'll be comfortable in the car plus I feel It won't stick around in my garage for 5 years as I'll be tempted to upgrade)
5) I like the Figo and Polo. No doubt lovely cars. They handle perfectly but I am not confident about their petrol NA engines performance and parts availability 5 years down the lane.
6) any other good sedan like Civic or Octavia will not offer the 13kmpl in the city plus I'll be haunted with the GC issues apart from the obvious parts cost.

Hoping to hear suggestions, have I missed anything?

Last edited by Crazy4.Cars : 14th May 2023 at 05:52. Reason: Missed a word
Old 14th May 2023, 07:05   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
Here are my requirements.
1) Fun to drive car. Should handle well. HB or Sedan will do.
2) Shouldn't cost more than 15k annually to maintain.
3) Parts should be easily available.
4) No diesel. Should be a petrol only, leaning towards non turbo from the long term perspective as I will keep the car for 5 years.
5) City FE upto 13kmpl or more.

Do consider the petrol Toyota Etios. It is really fun to drive and matches your requirements perfectly.

Swift is the next best option (and a much better handler) followed by the City. Ground clearance issues in City were sorted in 2011-13 models if I'm not wrong but handling was still a weak point.

Last edited by self_driven : 14th May 2023 at 07:06.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 10:53   #905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Do consider the petrol Toyota Etios. It is really fun to drive and matches your requirements perfectly.

Swift is the next best option (and a much better handler) followed by the City. Ground clearance issues in City were sorted in 2011-13 models if I'm not wrong but handling was still a weak point.
Unfortunately ETIOS is a no because of the center console Speedo. That is an absolute mood turn off the minute I step into the car.

I wonder why city was not a good handling car since it came with a good steering unit which was hydraulic assisted. Only in 2014 they went with the electric one right?
Old 14th May 2023, 23:59   #906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder why city was not a good handling car since it came with a good steering unit which was hydraulic assisted. Only in 2014 they went with the electric one right?
Hydraulic steering was present in the first-gen City only. All generations after that came with EPS. Actually the car's mediocre handling is more to do with the soft rear suspension than steering feel/feedback.

Honda did come out with an improved (stiffer?) suspension on the 2011 refresh model that took care of the bottoming out issues as well. However I've never really been in the refresh model so can't comment on that.

Last edited by self_driven : 15th May 2023 at 00:01.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 00:42   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post

Honda did come out with an improved (stiffer?) suspension on the 2011 refresh model that took care of the bottoming out issues as well. However I've never really been in the refresh model so can't comment on that.
That actually helps a lot. I was always unsure about the handling aspect of the 3rd gen city.

So even if I increase my budget from 5 to 7 L still there nothing better than the swift for my criteria's?
Crazy4.Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 09:37   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That actually helps a lot. I was always unsure about the handling aspect of the 3rd gen city.

So even if I increase my budget from 5 to 7 L still there nothing better than the swift for my criteria's?
Higher budget will definitely give you options with more snob value but if all you want is a peppy petrol car that is fun to drive and easy on the pocket, Swift is the safest bet followed closely by the 3rd gen City. You can consider SX4 too if you find a clean example. I've heard praises for its performance although the running cost would be quite high.

As the used car market is very unorganised, I'd suggest utilising your budget flexibility to pick up a well-kept example within the shortlisted models.
Old 18th May 2023, 10:28   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SX4 and Fabia 1.6 Apart from being a Maruti, the SX4 shares a lot of parts with the Swift so it is super easy to maintain. The car is also ergonomically sorted. The Fabia is more spacious than the Polo so if you feel like experiencing a simple German hatch, nothing like it.
Old 18th May 2023, 16:57   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
SX4 and Fabia 1.6 Apart from being a Maruti, the SX4 shares a lot of parts with the Swift so it is super easy to maintain. The car is also ergonomically sorted. The Fabia is more spacious than the Polo so if you feel like experiencing a simple German hatch, nothing like it.
Thanks. Hey I've driven the SX4 a few years ago. Yes it's refined but not a good handling car. Pity bouncy rear end and loads of body roll.
Fabia the new generation is good in the diesel avatar, but I don't think the 3 cylinder petrol is great in terms of NVH and overall refinement

Last edited by Crazy4.Cars : 18th May 2023 at 16:59. Reason: Change in a sentence
Old 22nd May 2023, 02:53   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Hey I've driven the SX4 a few years ago. Yes it's refined but not a good handling car. Pity bouncy rear end and loads of body roll.
Well my experience testing a 2007 model left me thinking it handled quite well. Anyway, with your budget there should be loads of aftermarket suspension options and braces to stiffen the ride to your liking.
Quote:
Fabia the new generation is good in the diesel avatar, but I don't think the 3 cylinder petrol is great in terms of NVH and overall refinement
I think you're mistaking the 1.2 liter Fabia petrol with the 1.6 that I mentioned. 1.6 is a 4 cylinder same unit as the one in the Polo 1.6 (before the GT line existed) and as the Vento/Rapid used to come with.
Old 22nd May 2023, 03:07   #912
BHPian

Quote:
I think you're mistaking the 1.2 liter Fabia petrol with the 1.6 that I mentioned. 1.6 is a 4 cylinder same unit as the one in the Polo 1.6 (before the GT line existed) and as the Vento/Rapid used to come with.
Oh yes got your point now. Indeed the 1.6 is a 4 cylinder, but what's the FE in the city. I doubt it'll meet my parameter.
I have no doubt about the fabia or the polo's handling capabilities. Also if I wish to keep the car for a good 5 to 7 years I have my doubts about the refinement and maintenance/ parts of VW 1.6 unit.
Old 22nd May 2023, 03:16   #913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes got your point now. Indeed the 1.6 is a 4 cylinder, but what's the FE in the city. I doubt it'll meet my parameter.
11 with a light foot. I suppose if you need more than that you'd be better off sticking with a 1.2/1.3 liter unit. G13B or K12 Swift, K12 Ritz and Brio should all be capable of 13kpl in the city. That said you should be able to find the car well within your budget so remaining funds can be invested leaving you to worry less about fuel economy.
Quote:
I have no doubt about the fabia or the polo's handling capabilities. Also if I wish to keep the car for a good 5 to 7 years I have my doubts about the refinement and maintenance/ parts of VW 1.6 unit.
Considering VW does not seem intent on moving away from India any time soon and considering the Fabia, Polo, Vento and Rapid were made in India products, you should not face any issues with parts availability even 5-7 years down the line Most VAG horror service stories tend to be about their sometimes pathetic aftersales service (specific dealers) or pertain to their overly complex models but the Fabia 1.6 never came with any DSG or cylinder deactivation to worry about.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 22nd May 2023 at 03:20.
Old 22nd May 2023, 03:26   #914
BHPian

Quote:
11 with a light foot. I suppose if you need more than that you'd be better off sticking with a 1.2/1.3 liter unit. G13B or K12 Swift, K12 Ritz and Brio should all be capable of 13kpl in the city. That said you should be able to find the car well within your budget so remaining funds can be invested leaving you to worry less about fuel economy.
Thanks, since my usage is approximately 1000km a month of which 80% is in mixed city conditions, I doubt 11kmpl is gonna work out. I'll have to stick to the K12 or honda 1.2 unit in the Brio.

I have owned a Ritz vdi abs diesel from 2011 to 2014. That time my monthly usage was 1700km. Now I am definitely not looking at a diesel because of the ban that's gonna come eventually in 2027 on new cars plus looking for a more fun to drive chasis.
Old 13th August 2023, 16:10   #915
BHPian

Help required with buying a 1st Gen Octavia or a Ford Mondeo

Hi, this is my first post on TeamBhp. I am not sure if this is the right section for this thread. If required, Mods, please do the needful. I have been trying to locate a clean, less driven Octavia (2002-2010), here in Chandigarh for the past 5 months but am yet to come across a car worth picking up. I have spoken to a lot of people in Punjab, Chandigarh and Haryana but no luck. I would really appreciate if anyone on the forum could share some leads.

Meanwhile, I also tried scouring for a Ford Mondeo and came across two in the tricity. It was my dream to own one since I was something like 6 or 7 years old (about to touch 18 now). I love the Gangsta’ looks of the Mondeo. The first car I came across was almost in an abandoned state and did not have valid papers. The second car belongs to a Doctor and he is the third owner. The car is in ‘okay’ condition mechanically but needs to be repainted. It’s a 2004 petrol Mondeo and has valid papers for another 9 months. The current ownership is from 2010. The owner had imported some spares from the UK, around 5-7 years ago which come with the car. These include the complete AC Assembly, headlights, taillights, brake lights, fusebox, and some other items. The car needs new “gear-shifter cables”, which would be needed to brought over from the UK and would cost around 15k INR, as suggested by a fellow enthusiast from Ludhiana. The gear lever is free at the neutral position. Even after slotting it in a gear, there is a lot of play in the lever. The final price quoted by the owner is 1.2 lakhs. Please advice whether getting this as a fun-project would be sensible. It would not be subjected to highway usage and will only be driven in town.

I am open to getting an Accord or a post 2011 Jetta as well, but most of them are again driven 1 lakh plus and come with pretty high price-quotes, here in Punjab. For an immaculate Octavia, driven under 90k kms, I can spend up-to 3 lakhs as a complete package, which includes the cost of the car and the RTO tax (In case the car is not from my home state).

The reason I am more inclined towards the Octavia is because I practically grew with one. My father has a 2009 Octy which I’m extremely fond of, but his taste in vehicles differs from mine and I don’t feel giving it the sort of treatment I would like (some nice alloys and a few more veeeeeery basic mods) would please him. This is why I’m looking for another, for myself.

A clean, well-cared for Octy is what I want, but have not been able to get any in the last 5/6 months I’ve spent looking for one. Please share any leads you might have for a clean Octavia/Old Laura/Mondeo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks