Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2022, 15:57   #871
BANNED

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If AWD is a must then you will unfortunately have to stick with an SUV if you need something reliable.
I don't need an AWD in particular.....but a good crossover or suv would be good, but if any other car can do the job, i am completely fine with it.
It just needs to be powerful for the snow and some fun.
The grand Vitara 2.4 is quite hard to find but i can wait, i did stumble into a 1.6 s-cross but it sold out in the last moment. I was just a poke away from crying. It had just run 40k and was an alpha for 5.5 from true value.
Tbh, it was the perfect car. Anything similar can suffice.
Either way, thanks for the suggestions.
Old 25th April 2022, 02:32   #872

Looking for an affordable project car to work with

Hi there, fellow petrolheads! (dieselheads? ev-heads?)

I'm new to the forum, so apologies if I'm breaking any forum rules with this thread.

Some background, I'm almost 21 and have been driving for a quarter of my life. I have been into cars and bikes for as long as I can remember.

(I remember a conversation I had with my uncle when I was 6, telling him that I wanted to make engines for Lamborghini when I grow up. When he asked me why not the entire car, I replied, "The car is too colourful on the inside. I don't like it, I prefer Porsche for that." Little did the 6yo me know about the VAG group's structuring.)

All grown up now, I have clocked a couple ten thousand KMs on the family cars, and my two bikes, a Hornet 160, and a G310R.

My car journey started with a humble swift, as my father was reluctant that I absolutely must learn driving a manual first. Super grateful for that. After the Swift, my family switched to a Honda City and now a Nexon EV. I've had good experience driving all of them. A couple of times a month, I get to drive my friends' 520d and W222 S-Class, when we go out for breakfast drives. So you could say I have amassed quite some experience driving all kinds of cars.

As much as I love driving the family cars, I have to stay respectful of the fact that everyone in the family uses them, so I try not to push them too hard or take them out for long very often.

Which brings me to a solution, getting a car of my own. Having been into the mechanical aspect of things for a long time, I want to get a car that I can work on myself, and push hard when I want to, knowing that I'll be able to fix it without a large dent in my pocket.

Also, I have always had a thing for old Japanese cars, and always wanted to get one as my first car. I am least concerned about interiors or plushness. My main criteria is reliability, build, ride quality, and basic safety. My budget would be around 5L for the car alone, plus 50k-1L on repairs if needed.

The cars I have shortlisted are the following

1) Used Mitsubishi Lancer: A legendary nameplate globally. However, I'm told that the model released in India wasn't all that good. Secondly, difficult to find in good condition for a good price.

2) Used Toyota Corolla: Absolute rugged engine, definitely won't give too many problems. Would be convenient for the family as well as it is a comfortable car. However, not too driver focused. And all second hand examples for sale have been used for 80-100k km already.

3) New Tata Tiago: WILDCARD. Not my top option. However, if worst comes to worst, this car is a good new option that can be had with a lil budget stretch. The engine is extremely dull, however, it can take some abuse.

4) Used Honda Civic: Can be had for 2-3L easily. However, having a Honda in the garage, I am well aware of the bloodsucking average that it gives. That is honestly my only gripe with it, other than the difficulty of getting parts.

5) Used Honda Accord: Same problems as the Civic + expensive servicing if I do decide to get it done from a dealer.

That's the extent of my knowledge on the sibject. I would love to hear more options. If not, which one would you suggest from my list, and why?

Would love to know your thoughts! Thank you so much!
iceguy101 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 09:34   #873
BHPian

Welcome aboard iceguy101!

Sorry, but I am not sure if I understood your requirements correctly?

- Do you wish to buy a car and get your hands dirty on it? Like a resto-mod kind of a job?
- Do you wish to buy q car for your daily commute, with some added fun and no hassle of sharing it with rest of the family members?
- Do you wish to build something ground up, use it and feel a sense of accomplishment?
- What is the kind of budget you are ear marking for your project car?
Etc etc., I hope you get a drift!
Old 25th April 2022, 18:44   #874
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking for an affordable project car to work with

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceguy101 View Post
4) Used Honda Civic: Can be had for 2-3L easily. However, having a Honda in the garage, I am well aware of the bloodsucking average that it gives. That is honestly my only gripe with it, other than the difficulty of getting parts.
Wouldn't the Civic give the same mileage as a Corolla? Both use 1.8L NA Petrols engines at the end of the day. Maybe the Corolla gives you more torque lower in the rev range and as a result better fuel efficiency in the city but it cannot be that bad. Besides, the more pressing point would be that while reliability of these cars is great, parts would still definitely cost a lot probably in 15-30k range for a headlight or a bumper just as an example. If you are okay with that, then why not consider the Cedia? It handles better than the Civic, doesn't mind if the roads aren't too good and like the Corolla, it has a more tractable motor.

Fabia 1.6 and SX4 1.6 are both the cheapest fun to drive and own options that I can think of
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 20:08   #875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Which brings me to a solution, getting a car of my own. Having been into the mechanical aspect of things for a long time, I want to get a car that I can work on myself, and push hard when I want to, knowing that I'll be able to fix it without a large dent in my pocket.

Also, I have always had a thing for old Japanese cars, and always wanted to get one as my first car. I am least concerned about interiors or plushness. My main criteria is reliability, build, ride quality, and basic safety. My budget would be around 5L for the car alone, plus 50k-1L on repairs if needed.

2) Used Toyota Corolla
4) Used Honda Civic
5) Used Honda Accord
I'd look at the above three from your shortlist, and also throw in the 3rd Generation Honda City and the Toyota Etios 1.5P.

I'd skip the Lancer : no basic safety, build in newer models took a beating, and it's just too old so finding one will be difficult. I'd have recommended the Cedia, but spares of those too will be hard to come by.

The Corolla is a good reliable machine and will serve you well but the Civic would handle better & be more comfortable - Original parts would be expensive, but given how popular the Civic was in the market & after-market space - lot of options would be available for routine maintenance parts.

The Accord is a powerful barge : not a nimble handler, but a good cruiser due to it's soft suspension.
Expect a FE of 5-7kmpl on this one, expensive spares.
If that doesn't deter you, I'd find a nice 2007 Accord V6 (with the updated gearbox) for a little over half your budget & keep the balance for parts + fuel.

The City on the other hand is compact, has the advantages of the Civic : low seating, smooth gearbox, etc., but is also quite popular making spare availability and running costs acceptable.

Similarly the Etios : it has scored well in the GNCAP, has mature ride & handling, a peppy 1.5L engine, is super nimble in the city, and can tackle any road surface you would encounter in the urban jungle, etc. but one that is let down by the poor interior and exterior.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 20:35   #876

Advice for a pre-worshipped car

Greetings, fellow enthusiasts!
The long awaited moment is finally here. Yours truly has graduated from medical school, and has been granted his wish of buying himself a 4 wheeled screeching roaring bundle of joy.
So here I am, asking for your help, much like the Bernie Sanders meme, trusting your expertise to help make the right choice for me.

Some points to consider -
  • Budget is a total of ₹5-6 lakh, split between car cost and mods/restoration
  • Will most likely be a pre-worshipped car, looking at the current (sad) market offerings
  • Performance and Handling are two clear priorities (the archetypical "enthusiast car")
  • Leaning towards Manual trannys, but could consider a good autobox if it's reliable
  • Aftermarket support is desirable, plans to take the car upto stage 2 eventually
  • I don't care much about small bells and whistles, all I need is a good AC, and a sweet aftermarket stereo.

Some options I have pondered over are -
  1. Skoda Laura TSI ('09-'12) (My favourite of the lot)
  2. Abarth Punto (Rare, and the prices are on the higher end)
  3. VW Polo GT TDI
  4. VW Jetta 2.0TDI

Any thoughts and discussions are very welcome. I hope to make a well informed decision on this matter, and all options and opinions wild be helpful!

Cheers
Dr.Torquefreak
Torquefreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 16:04   #877
BHPian

Re: Advice for a pre-worshipped car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquefreak View Post
Greetings, fellow enthusiasts!
The long awaited moment is finally here. Yours truly has graduated from medical school, and has been granted his wish of buying himself a 4 wheeled screeching roaring bundle of joy.
So here I am, asking for your help, much like the Bernie Sanders meme, trusting your expertise to help make the right choice for me.

Some points to consider -
  • Budget is a total of ₹5-6 lakh, split between car cost and mods/restoration
  • Will most likely be a pre-worshipped car, looking at the current (sad) market offerings
  • Performance and Handling are two clear priorities (the archetypical "enthusiast car")
  • Leaning towards Manual trannys, but could consider a good autobox if it's reliable
  • Aftermarket support is desirable, plans to take the car upto stage 2 eventually
  • I don't care much about small bells and whistles, all I need is a good AC, and a sweet aftermarket stereo.

Some options I have pondered over are -
  1. Skoda Laura TSI ('09-'12) (My favourite of the lot)
  2. Abarth Punto (Rare, and the prices are on the higher end)
  3. VW Polo GT TDI
  4. VW Jetta 2.0TDI

Any thoughts and discussions are very welcome. I hope to make a well informed decision on this matter, and all options and opinions wild be helpful!

Cheers
Dr.Torquefreak
At that budget nothing can touch an Accord 3.5 V6, it’ll be the fastest car you can buy with a 6.6 sec 0-100 time and 278 hp. Is also reliable and inexpensive to maintain.

Test drive one and floor it, you’ll forget the VW 2L diesels in a heartbeat.

Last edited by AJ56 : 3rd May 2022 at 16:14.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 18:14   #878
BHPian

Quote:

Would love to know your thoughts! Thank you so much!
Hi Iceguy. In some ways, you kinda resemble me. I have such a insatiable lust for cars and bikes, there was a time when I used to eat only once a day to fuel my Ikon 1.6 coz with my salary, forget a car, it was difficult to maintain a motorcycle. I used to love that car to bits. I never had access ro luxury cars like you, the cars I can access are much more down to earth, like Creta, Nexon, Innova etc.

Coming to the choice you have, I think, since your family already owns reliable cars for family trips, for your project, I would suggest the Ford Fiesta 1.6 S, or atleast the Ford Fiesta 1.6. Trust me, it is a hoot to drive. You'll fall in love with its handling. I think you can get a good example around 1 - 1.5 lacs which leaves a lot of moolah to plan the mods. The car's interiors have aged well and does not feel old like few other cars. Civic is a fantastic choice too. If you're looking for a car with character and not outright speed, and interested in off-roading, you could also buy an old beat-up Gypsy and restore it with lift kit, off-road tyres and a free flow exhaust. If you really want something out of the box and have patience of mother Earth, a HM Contessa would be an ultimate flex car. But the spares I think are almost non existent.

Last edited by Knighted06 : 3rd May 2022 at 18:19. Reason: Added a few lines
Knighted06 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 16:00   #879

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

Fabia 1.6 and SX4 1.6 are both the cheapest fun to drive and own options that I can think of
I never really considered these options, but wow! They make a lot of sense. Thank you so much!

And yes, both the Corolla and the Civic sport 1.8L workhorses, but due to the nature of Toyota's tuning, I've found that the FE isn't quite as bas as that of the Civic. But true, it wouldn't be too far off!
Old 1st June 2022, 16:06   #880

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I'd look at the above three from your shortlist, and also throw in the 3rd Generation Honda City and the Toyota Etios 1.5P.

I'd skip the Lancer : no basic safety, build in newer models took a beating, and it's just too old so finding one will be difficult. I'd have recommended the Cedia, but spares of those too will be hard to come by.

The Corolla is a good reliable machine and will serve you well but the Civic would handle better & be more comfortable - Original parts would be expensive, but given how popular the Civic was in the market & after-market space - lot of options would be available for routine maintenance parts.

The Accord is a powerful barge : not a nimble handler, but a good cruiser due to it's soft suspension.
Expect a FE of 5-7kmpl on this one, expensive spares.
If that doesn't deter you, I'd find a nice 2007 Accord V6 (with the updated gearbox) for a little over half your budget & keep the balance for parts + fuel.

The City on the other hand is compact, has the advantages of the Civic : low seating, smooth gearbox, etc., but is also quite popular making spare availability and running costs acceptable.

Similarly the Etios : it has scored well in the GNCAP, has mature ride & handling, a peppy 1.5L engine, is super nimble in the city, and can tackle any road surface you would encounter in the urban jungle, etc. but one that is let down by the poor interior and exterior.
Thank you so much for your reply! I do not mind saving on the car to spend on parts and repairs later. However, the only reason I'm not able to convince myself for the Accord is that the availability is uncertain. If there is a surety, it's no problem spending on repairs. However, if I do get unlucky, one can't say as to how long it'll take to get the car working. :(

And you're right, I should probably skip the Mitsubishi for the best.

While the City is a great choice, we already have one in the garage. I wouldn't want another one, given that ours is relatively new and probably the best handling generation of the city so far.

As for the Etios, that is a great suggestion! Thank you so much. I'll surely consider it
Old 2nd June 2022, 15:17   #881
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for your reply! I do not mind saving on the car to spend on parts and repairs later. However, the only reason I'm not able to convince myself for the Accord is that the availability is uncertain. If there is a surety, it's no problem spending on repairs. However, if I do get unlucky, one can't say as to how long it'll take to get the car working. :(
I’ve had a 2010 Accord for 12 years now, I assure you spares are a non issue, it was a very popular model globally and one can even have them imported in a worst case scenario. Have a trusted mechanic, avoid the delaerships. Spares are not expensive at all, it’s the dealer markup that’s unreasonable. Servicing is cheap as well.

Also, comparing Accord with Etios or City is like comparing apples and oranges, test drive both and you’ll see what I’m saying.
Old 14th June 2022, 16:02   #882

On the same topic as the thread title, I am also in the market for used car which is fun to drive(would be my first) and have shortlisted the following on Spinny:

1. 2011 Swift Zxi. I don't know if it has the fun to drive engine because I remember some posts suggesting to buy the >2012 model. 4.14L

2. 2012 Vento Highline. Concerned about running costs.

3. 2011 Swift ZXi

4. 2013 Polo Highline

I would like a hatchback ideally as it would be easy to learn but open to options. Safety and running costs are some of my main priorities since the rest can be uprgraded post purchase.

Request Teambhp help to evaluate the cars(price) and/or suggest better alternatives. Thanks.
Old 17th June 2022, 15:16   #883

Suggestions for a project car in India.

Hey everybody,
Before I go on, I want to make it clear that this is purely only theoretical. I am a student and will not be able to afford any of the cars or upgrades. I just wanted to see what car I'd be able to purchase as my own later and upgrade myself or with the help of a tuner.

With that in mind, here's what I know so far. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

- There is no point tuning any huge cars, like Scorpios or Thars. You're more likelier to get better performance for that same money from a smaller car.

- Older cars are generally better interms of aftermarket parts, spares and tunes.

With all these stated, what would be some good cars to tune in India? I'm talking only about vehicles that have been released in India. No imports. Let the discussions begin!
Old 17th June 2022, 17:53   #884
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for a project car in India.

If one is sufficiently late on a Friday night in my erstwhile neighbourhood I'd invariably come across a rich kid in a Porsche, Lambo or an Audi R.

I know every inch of the tarmac of my neighbourhood, the scars, speed breakers and pockmarks where a supercar has to slow down.

The hunt goes so - Old man in an old Nano. Give chase to a supercar, no douche bag can tolerate being overtaken by a Nano. He will overtake you, so wait until he's forced to slowdown and overtake.

Then he overtakes you until the next speed breaker where you rub it in again. And suddenly you disappear into a narrow bye lane without giving him the satisfaction of overtaking you one last time. The Missus who generally does not approve of me trying anything risky in a car loves supercar hunting with me.

The plan is to eventually put in an old superbike engine to replace the old 2 pot in the Nano and strip the vehicle light and smoke those supercars! Or find someone to electrify her to make me a nice little starter EV.

Could work for you too. A Nano is the perfect project car for us with big dreams, bigger cojones and small budgets.
Ferruccio is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 04:14   #885

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaam View Post
So what i want to know is the most cliche thing ever,
What's a good car with good linear power which i can take to bad roads and can be fun.
Hey Usaam,
I see your set of very specific requirements you have from a car.
All I can suggest is that you can go ahead and check out for a Fiesta / Classic 1.6 Petrol. The car is a sweet handler and once you get core down towards the balance of comfort and enthusiastic driving pleasure of the car, you would never wanna look to the modern cars with all the new electrical gizmos. The car could well run up for your daily needs only if you are fine with the low ground clearance. Not only will it make you stand out from the generic crowd of the "normie" kids present up at college but will also serve you for longer considering if you ever want to create a more professional impression. The linear petrol power requirement you mentioned in your post would be the best in the 1.6 engine. Also look out for the 1.6S model if you can hunt them anywhere in the used car market. The pocket-friendly nature of this machine lined up with the decent amount of power would be a great mixture for anyone who has intentions for going out on several roadtrips or long drives.
Apart from that, the only issue you could face is with the service considering the company is only going to offer it for the next 5 years officially. The low cost of the car in the used car market would surely make up for such an issue though.

Also coming from someone who is a huge supporter for sedans, you can check out the 2012 Honda City if you find one in the budget. It has got a good petrol engine down the hood and would again serve you the purpose of both comfort and enthusiastic driving with the professional look of the car. I would have suggested you the Kizashi or the Civic too but both the cars come with their own set of problems and are better to be kept off the daily charts according to me.
Keep the updates coming up.

Quote:
Hey iceguy101,
I see the lineup of all different sedans in there and I am really delighted just to see the people up for saving / loving these old sedans (Considering the takeover by compact SUVs these days)
Anyways,
The Lancer.
At first in my opinion is a great car to get your hands dirty on but I would say you should be ready with a good funds with yourself to spend on the smallest of expenses you would have never thought to experience. You can also check up the Cedia but the story still lies with the fact that the maintained models are not up for sale and the ones up for sale are not maintained prop erly.

The Corolla.
Legendary machine. Bulletproof engine. The car has somehow been always in the best lists for the pre owned markets but straight up is not fun to drive as you mentioned. The car would be a lovely spot for the family and the maintenance but it heavily lacks the feel you would expect from an enthusiast's point of view.

The Civic and Accord.
These both are my favourite picks. You just cannot go wrong with either of these. The Civic can be the best daily considering the timeless design and the best project considering the ability to turbocharge and get a laptop . The accord however would be more focused towards the comfort side of things. It will be powerful and will give you all the fun of working on a good engine, but the car is not your best bet on Indian roads. The suspension is too soft for tracking and the car is like a mammoth with comfort to the utmost level. It will give you the pleasure of the power in a straight line but surely not in the corners.

Apart from all of these good cars you can also look out for a Skoda Octavia / Superb. These car come in with powerful TSI/FSI engines with turbo kits and aftermarket support with nothing else in comparison. You can also look for the older 2008 BMW 3 series models with the inline six engines. They still hold the char of an NA engine better than anyone else just taking in mind the heavy expenses it can land on your plate. I hope you go well with your search. Wish you luck sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquefreak View Post
Some options I have pondered over are
Hey Torquefreak,
I really love the list of cars you have mentioned. These cars are like the undying love for an Indian enthusiast. Someone who would choose the car for the way it drives instead of the way all the gizmos impress them.

The list has a good variation and in my opinion you should stick to the
VAG cars for the balance that you would hunt for considering if you daily it. The Jetta TDI and the GT TDI would be your best bet if power and good fuel economy is what you are looking for. The Laura is best if you keep it as a daily only if you have a running of 1000km/month or less. The Laura however, is my favourite and we have got one in my car group here in Lucknow with a Stage 2 Map and a Revo exhaust. It is surely the finest build in the city. The comfort of the car and the road presence make it a complete sleeper for the people who have no idea on how good Skoda is in terms of upgrades and drivability. The 1.8TSI would be your best bet if you ever look to tune or upgrade the car in any manner. There are people churning out 350+ horses out of the engine and dailying the car with proper maintenance and that gives them the hassle free experience of pleasuable driving.

However, if more travel with decent power is what you are looking forward to, the TDI engines are a saviour for you. I recently went for a trip in the GT TDI and it returned me an easy average FE of 20km/l. The Jetta won't be far away. Also take in mind that the low end torque would be different kind of an experience to you and you would love to have it in your hands.

Keep the updates coming. Good luck with your hunt.
Cheers to driving

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th June 2022 at 05:17. Reason: Back to Back posts merged. Trimmed quoted posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks