Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2022, 07:12   #886
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

I have seen pics of some nicely done up (Cosmetically) Etios' and Etios Liva's from Kerala, Indonesia and Brasil. Just wondering if these can be suitably modified to be enthusiast cars. I understand the 1.5 engine from the Etios had a different head in other countries and produced more power.
Old 20th June 2022, 20:16   #887
BHPian

Hey everyone!

So I'm a 28 year old University Professor and the other day I was chatting with some coworkers who are around my age about their vehicles when they asked me, "Given your love for cars, how come you don't own one? You definitely earn better than us! You could afford one, could you not?" And I was like, "That... is a good question."

I've always been a car enthusiast. But I guess I've never had the guts to even consider buying one. The ownership costs, as detailed in the "The real cost of owning a car", have scared me off. Also, I'm lazy. I love driving but don't like maintaining cars. I've driven all of two cars, both owned by my father. The first one was 2010 Chevrolet Beat LT. And the current one, which is registered in my name, is a 2021 Nexon EV XZ+. Sure, when I discussed this at home, my father said, "You do own a car! Our Nexon is yours." But I know he's just trying to placate me. Deep down, I'm also kinda scared of proposing to him that I want to own a car. We bought the Nexon because we were tired of the ever-rising fuel costs and he'd flip at the mere suggestion of me buying another car and that too an ICE one because I can't afford an EV for sure.

So given my apprehensiveness about all this, "hypothetically" speaking, if I were to toy with the idea of owning a car, I think I'd go with a pre-owned one at first. Keep the risks as low as possible, you know? Maybe something affordable to get me started. Now I obviously did my research (mostly on TeamBHP forums) and found a useful thread from a couple years ago where GTO recommended a few cars that are reliable pre-owned:

1. Toyota Corolla Altis E140 VL AT

2. Toyota Etios (Diesel)

3. Honda City

Love the recommendations! But let's take a look at what my requirements might be.

1. I stay wherever I am working but my major trips would be to my parents' place (Greater Noida) and being in NCR, we frequently visit Delhi. Yeah, the same city which has banned any Petrol vehicles older than 15 years and Diesels older than 10 years. So preferably, a 2011 or above Petrol model.

2. I say Petrol model because all I know about Diesels is that they pollute the environment more and need to be driven regularly. If anyone can convince me otherwise, feel free to. With the rising fuel costs, I'd like to keep the usage limited anyways. I may be a petrolhead but I've suffered the public transit of this country long enough to take that as and when required. Probably won't be relying on the car too much.

3. I'm a lazy ass and absolutely loathe getting bogged down with boring tasks, such as taking the car for frequent trips to the service center or washing it (my sincerest apologies to fellow enthusiasts but that's just who I am). So my priority is to find something reliable. Which, by the way, spells Toyota to my untrained mind.

4. Budget needs to be constrained. Like 4-5 Lac constrained (although the lesser, the better). This will be my first ever car and if something were to go wrong, I shudder at the mere thought. I've always been risk-averse which is how I've managed to last this long without a car despite having a job and a decent salary. Still don't want to take a huge risk. I want to start small and build some confidence before I become and actual enthusiast with some fancy wheels.

5. I am single but whenever I'm at home so my parents might use it so... that's about it for my use case, I think? I'm crazy for all things "swiss-knife" so a car that has a go-anywhere, do anything attitude would be my preference. Building on that, at one point I considered the Ford Ecosport because it's a CSUV with enough GC and I assumed Ford exiting India might mean I might score a deal on one but I'm sure I'm missing the finer points of the argument which more experienced members might be able to highlight. (Spare parts availability becoming a potential issue maybe? Idk).

With that in mind, any suggestions for this "hypothetical"? Just considering it a fun thought experiment at this stage. Nothing too serious. But if I do end up pulling the trigger, can someone remind me the rule of thumb that went something like, "Your car EMIs should be 1/4th of your monthly salary" or some such? I earn 7+ lpa.

Sure, I probably don't exactly need a car right now. But sometimes I think life's too short to hold off on your biggest dreams. Maybe I should take the plunge. Besides, GTO's thread on "The not-so-obvious advantages of buying a pre-owned car" has convinced me that even if something were to go wrong, I probably won't end up losing a big deal.

Any inputs are welcome.
Old 22nd June 2022, 03:39   #888

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGION_FIVE View Post
1. Toyota Corolla Altis E140 VL AT
2. Toyota Etios (Diesel)
3. Honda City
Hey LEGION FIVE,
After going through your posts and understanding the requirements, I would say that you can look forward to a handful of reliable sedans for yourself which would be a charm to drive in the city. Being in Delhi helps you in many ways here as well. You have a lot of workshops which work as better if not compared to the official service centres and also offer a vast inventory for aftermarket product, whether it's in the tuner culture or the cosmetic modifications.

As you say you will not be relying much on the car and yourself are not someone who loves to take care of the car in everyday terms, I would suggest you best opt for a good Japanese sedan. The Honda City and the Civic are your best bets upfront. If reliability is something you keep up as your priority you should even consider the Corolla Altis. The SX4 is another good option with the best service band you can have across the country.

Something from the Laura/Jetta/Octavia trio would also be really nice as a pre-owned machine but be ready for a handful of problems at first and then the frequent visits to your tuner/mechanic. However, the cars are good enough that with time to time maintenance and proper care, you get a driving experience like no other car in the price bracket. Also with some bizarre tuning capabilities for huge power figures and even what I can say the biggest aftermarket support for a manufacturer.

The Fiesta or the new Figo Blu could be a good pick for you too but do consider the fact that the official service is only to be offered for the next 5 years.

Quote:
With that in mind, any suggestions for this "hypothetical"? Just considering it a fun thought experiment at this stage. Nothing too serious. But if I do end up pulling the trigger, can someone remind me the rule of thumb that went something like, "Your car EMIs should be 1/4th of your monthly salary" or some such? I earn 7+ lpa.
Being a Student I can only help you up till here. I am what you would describe as a "young blood enthusiast". Hence, all I can say here is buy what you love to drive because you cannot drive a house, but you can live in a car.

Keep the updates coming. Cheers to driving.
Old 22nd June 2022, 09:03   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.e.s.h.a.v.57 View Post
Hey LEGION FIVE,
After going through your posts and understanding the requirements, I would say that you can look forward to a handful of reliable sedans for yourself which would be a charm to drive in the city. Being in Delhi helps you in many ways here as well. You have a lot of workshops which work as better if not compared to the official service centres and also offer a vast inventory for aftermarket product, whether it's in the tuner culture or the cosmetic modifications.
No, no, I meant to say that we live near Delhi but I go wherever I am needed. For example, I recently switched and whereas I was in Punjab for the last 2 years, I am now going to be moving to Uttarakhand. Needless to say, it might be used on highways often which is why I'm considering the Corolla Altis strongly.

Thanks for the suggestions though. My only worry with the Corolla Altis is that since it's a D-segment sedan, parts might be expensive to replace. But like I said, it's at the top of my list of consideration. I was looking at a 2013 VL AT on OLX with 50k on the odo but the asking price is 5.25 Lacs, which I feel is a bit on the higher side especially given the scratched and dented front and rear bumpers. Then on top of that I'll have to get a once-over done after I acquire it so need to set some funds aside for that too.
Old 22nd June 2022, 14:14   #890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey everyone!

Any inputs are welcome.
Buy a Maruti. A swift, or upwards, which will come within your budget. Paucity of funds and time that I see mean that a higher segment car , and anything other than a Maruti/Hyundai will make your life difficult. With Maruti, you at least know that any neighbourhood mechanic will help sort you out on the cheap.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 14:50   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Buy a Maruti. A swift, or upwards, which will come within your budget. Paucity of funds and time that I see mean that a higher segment car , and anything other than a Maruti/Hyundai will make your life difficult. With Maruti, you at least know that any neighbourhood mechanic will help sort you out on the cheap.
Thanks for the suggestions. I avoid Maruti vehicles because I don't support Suzuki's unsafe cars, exploitative marketing tactics and lack of innovation on moral grounds but that's a discussion for another day. As for Hyundai, I haven't heard much from anyone about them on the reliability front which is my numero uno requirement.
Old 23rd June 2022, 00:10   #892

Quote:
No, no, I meant to say that we live near Delhi but I go wherever I am needed. For example, I recently switched and whereas I was in Punjab for the last 2 years, I am now going to be moving to Uttarakhand. Needless to say, it might be used on highways often which is why I'm considering the Corolla Altis strongly.
The Corolla Altis would be your best bet probably then. You can even consider the Jetta / Octavia TDI if you're using it for munching miles on the highway. Be ready for a big blow in the face right at the start though. You will easily spend up a heavy amount in bringing such saloons to their right shape and the best driving output. It would be fun in my opinion though. But as per the post you should also consider the SX4 as you move around different places and the service network is not going to be the best everywhere. I would have suggested you a Chevrolet Cruze just for the driving experience and the looks but you are not someone who would be down to give time in maintaining such a mammoth right now.

Quote:
My only worry with the Corolla Altis is that since it's a D-segment sedan, parts might be expensive to replace.
The parts are going to be moderately priced and last really long. Make sure the car you have seen has actually done only 50k kilometres and there's no tampering with the odo. 50k sounds like a warm-up for any Toyota engine. Keep your hunt up. Do know that the Corolla Altis has almost no tuning potential or aftermarket support if by any chance you ever get into any such interests.

Cheers to driving.
k.e.s.h.a.v.57 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 07:04   #893
BHPian

Quote:
The Corolla Altis would be your best bet probably then. You can even consider the Jetta / Octavia TDI if you're using it for munching miles on the highway. Be ready for a big blow in the face right at the start though. You will easily spend up a heavy amount in bringing such saloons to their right shape and the best driving output. It would be fun in my opinion though. But as per the post you should also consider the SX4 as you move around different places and the service network is not going to be the best everywhere. I would have suggested you a Chevrolet Cruze just for the driving experience and the looks but you are not someone who would be down to give time in maintaining such a mammoth right now.
I have been cautioned against buying European sedans for that very reason. They'd require a more trips to A.S.S and FNGs than I'm comfortable with, at least initially.

I was reading through some threads yesterday and some folks swear by 2010 Accords apparently? I must admit they look and feel much more upmarket and posh than the Altis but that's just the kid in me going dreamy-eyed. I know the practical choice would be the Altis considering the horrible mileage of the Accord in comparison to the Altis. Besides, Accord's GC is lower than that of the Altis and I don't have any idea as to the service costs of the Accord either.

As for SX4, like I said in my other reply, I generally steer clear of Suzuki vehicles on moral grounds.

Quote:
The parts are going to be moderately priced and last really long. Make sure the car you have seen has actually done only 50k kilometres and there's no tampering with the odo. 50k sounds like a warm-up for any Toyota engine. Keep your hunt up. Do know that the Corolla Altis has almost no tuning potential or aftermarket support if by any chance you ever get into any such interests.
Glad to hear Altis' parts would be affordable. Not interested in modding my first car though.

50k km on an Altis? Now that would be a difficult find! In case it needed to be said, I'm looking for the E140. Preferably VL AT trim. From what I've seen, it's getting extremely difficult to find well-maintained examples around 50k. G trims are ubiquitous but pre-worshipped VL ATs are becoming rare finds.

Last edited by LEGION_FIVE : 23rd June 2022 at 07:12.
Old 3rd December 2022, 10:31   #894
BHPian

Should I go for it?

Getting a 1.2 lac driven 2015 Skoda Octavia 1.8 AT TSI Petrol for 8L in Bangalore. Second owner, who bought it at 55K in 2018 and is in my society. I am yet to check the service records but current owner claims it is serviced at Skoda and I can have a look. Recent work history he told me was complete repair of the engine cooling system. I am guess it must be the water pump failure.

What are the dangers of owning a ~8yr old Skoda TSI AT?
Should I expect some heavy maintenance bills?
What should I look for to ensure?

I am looking for pre-loved automatic cars in Bangalore and don't want to break the bank with a new car.
Old 5th December 2022, 17:04   #895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So given my apprehensiveness about all this, "hypothetically" speaking, if I were to toy with the idea of owning a car, I think I'd go with a pre-owned one at first. Keep the risks as low as possible, you know?
I will cut straight to the chase and let you know that you should chuck any thoughts of buying a D-segment car out the window immediately. There is no way you can keep costs of ownership with these things low regardless of whether it is a Toyota or not. I would begin by doing some research on the cost of spares before believing in any such thing as a cheap Corolla in our country. That said, if you have other cars in the house to rely on, you can pull the trigger but you might also want to add petrol Jettas to your list. They only came in manual guise but with a small and extremely frugal 1.4 TSI that managed to offer enough pep without breaking the bank

I would urge you to look toward something like a used SX4 which is a well built car (feels sturdier than a Honda City) that comes with a robust 1.6 petrol mill, dirt cheap spares and easy ergonomic qualities. A Ritz is another well built Maruti that you can take advantage of buying in the used market. If you want to go for a Honda, the City, Jazz and Brio all make for excellent choices (with the latter two offering you as the buyer, better depreciation to take advantage of) but cost of spares will never be as cheap as a Maruti so you better enjoy the V-Tec Cars from the Chevrolet stable that were made in India are also cheap to maintain like the Beat, Spark, Aveo etc however they come with very unremarkable engines that I would not recommend to anyone inclined towards cars. A Ford Fiesta classic 1.6 might also make for a good choice if you don't mind its slightly constricted cabin feel but then if you've got the patience you can also wait to find a 1.5 petrol Fiesta which feels a lot more modern.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 5th December 2022 at 17:13.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 19:00   #896

Re: Looking for an affordable project car to work with

Mod note: Please avoid quoting entire large post for replies. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceguy101 View Post
Hi there, fellow petrolheads! (dieselheads? ev-heads?)
==========
That's the extent of my knowledge on the sibject. I would love to hear more options. If not, which one would you suggest from my list, and why?

Would love to know your thoughts! Thank you so much!

Hi iceGuy101 and fellow bhp-ians, I find myself very resembled to iceGuy101's taste and love for cars. I'm looking for a fun to drive yet reliable car. I'd tolerate a little premium on the spares costs (not skoda-level though).

I'm finding it hard to determine which factor of a car decides it's fun to drive nature. Thus my favorite cars are scattered over segments and different price ranges.

1. Punto/Linea - always wanted to buy one for no reason at all. But later heard that these cars are absolute joy to drive. Yet I don't see anyone suggesting a fiat in this thread.

2. Duster - Haven't driven one. But the combination of a good diesel engine + HPS + good suspension setup has always attracted me.

3. Toyota etios cross diesel - Haven't driven this too. Just attracted by how it looks plus the reliability of a toyota. (yes I love the ugly ducklings among gen old cars).

4. Sx4 Diesel - The only car that I want to own used from Maruti.(except for the sCross which is far out of my budget). I have no idea if this is fun to drive or not. But the cabin doesn't interest me at all.

5. 3rd Gen Honda city - love the Honda gearbox and the 1.5vTec. But low GC bothers me cauz roads around me are very poor. Also FE is comparatively lower than the diesel cars.

I have driven a few Polos and didn't like them at all. Wanted to own mk1 octavia badly. But feared by the maintenence costs, decided to totally stay away from the VW group.

The civic is definitely an urge. But low fe and high maintenance makes ownership experience bitter.

I have also thought of owning a bolero (the raw suv kind) but not sure if it would suit my daily commute.

By reading this thread, came to know many other options too (the 1.6 fabia, fiesta 1.6s etc.) Great suggestions!! But I keep myself away from the rare/limited edition models just to stay clear of the lack of spares (eg. Abarth Punto). The etios cross is an exception because of the Toyota badge and good FE.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th December 2022 at 19:46. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Old 6th December 2022, 23:26   #897
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking for an affordable project car to work with

Quote:
Originally Posted by barath_rudraksh View Post
I'm finding it hard to determine which factor of a car decides it's fun to drive nature. Thus my favorite cars are scattered over segments and different price ranges.
Unfortunately I have never found many diesel cars to be fun to drive simply due to their laggy throttle response on high rpms thus being averse to hang at high rpms, and also their weight over the front is too much; robbing any eagerness to corner. So even though my response may not be useful to you, I also liked a lot of the same cars that you considered albeit in petrol guise so felt like I shall leave my comments on those.

Quote:
1. Punto/Linea - always wanted to buy one for no reason at all. But later heard that these cars are absolute joy to drive. Yet I don't see anyone suggesting a fiat in this thread.
Not sure if the 1.3 multijet can be considered fun to drive it is adequate but definitely not fun. But the 1.4 abarth is absolutely fabulous. Don't know if spares should be an issue considering the t-jet motor was sold for ages in the Linea with a high level of localization (I'm assuming). Back in 2018 when my family was mulling over buying a new car the Abarth Punto seemed to represent the most value for money under 20 lacs. Powerful engine, easy clutch, solid ground clearance, yet planted steering abilities. It just felt natural to drive yet slightly indulgent with its levels of zip and all for around 8 or 9 lacs back then not sure exactly how much but it was being offered on heavy discounts because it was being discontinued I think. Some serious value for money.

Quote:
2. Duster - Haven't driven one. But the combination of a good diesel engine + HPS + good suspension setup has always attracted me.
Good car but the interior quality of construction and ergonomics leave a lot to be desired. Not a very enjoyable cabin at all.

Quote:
Toyota etios cross diesel - Haven't driven this too. Just attracted by how it looks plus the reliability of a toyota. (yes I love the ugly ducklings among gen old cars).
You would be missing out if you did not just drive a 1.5 petrol etios and see how enjoyable that motor is. It is normally aspirated so very simple and reliable and crisp throttle response plus it is an appropriate displacement and the car never feels weedy at any rpm always eager. Good no nonsense pick

Quote:
Sx4 Diesel - The only car that I want to own used from Maruti.(except for the sCross which is far out of my budget). I have no idea if this is fun to drive or not. But the cabin doesn't interest me at all.
I haven't driven an SX4 diesel but I have driven the Ciaz, Brezza, Punto 90hp all with the 1.3 multijet and that motor simply did not feel like enjoyable in any instance. Never pissed me off or anything like that but never pleased me either. So I am assuming the SX4 diesel would also feel bad. In petrol 1.6 guise it is an absolute peach though.

I'd recommend going through ownership threads to check on availability of spares but I don't think they should be an issue for any of the cars you mentioned.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 6th December 2022 at 23:29.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 23:38   #898

Thanks alot for clearing me up. I seldom hear someone praising petrol engines better than their diesel counter parts. Btw, what is the FE of Etios Petrol in city rides?
Old 7th December 2022, 00:36   #899

Hello Experts,

I have come across a used S Cross 1.6 D and below are the details.
Reg year - 2016 (Feb)
Manufactured - late 2015
Odo: 43K
Variant - Alpha

Its in top condition mechanically and electronically.
Have taken it to MS SC and the mechanics feedback is very positive.

Pros:
Drives brilliantly.
Interior is very well maintained
Regularly serviced at Nexa
all 4 tyres were replaced last year (though Goodyears but new nonetheless)
windshield and all 4 windows have Garware ice shield films

Cons
Bonnet has been replaced coz a tree branch fell on it. It was only a scratch and no impact to the engine bay.

clutch fluid was leaking (owner could not explain it properly). But since work was being done owner got the clutch plate replaced. No issues with the flywheel. I too did not face any issues with the clutch nor the MS mechanic. Infact it was very light.

The asking price is 7 lacs. Should I go for it..?

PS: The seller is not a dealer but an individual and seemed very genuine and humble.
Old 7th December 2022, 00:38   #900

Hello Experts,

I have come across a used S Cross 1.6 D and below are the details.
Reg year - 2016 (Feb)
Manufactured - late 2015
Odo: 43K
Variant - Alpha

Its in top condition mechanically and electronically.
Have taken it to MS SC and the mechanics feedback is very positive.

Pros:
Drives brilliantly.
Interior is very well maintained
Regularly serviced at Nexa
all 4 tyres were replaced last year (though Goodyears but new nonetheless)
windshield and all 4 windows have Garware ice shield films

Cons
Bonnet has been replaced coz a tree branch fell on it. It was only a scratch and no impact to the engine bay.

Clutch fluid was leaking (owner could not explain it properly). But since work was being done owner got the clutch plate replaced. No issues with the flywheel. I too did not face any issues with the clutch nor the MS mechanic. Infact it was very light.

The asking price is 7 lacs. Should I go for it?

PS: The seller is not a dealer but an individual and seemed very genuine and humble.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks