Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2011, 22:57   #46
BANNED

Re: MapMyIndia Navigation - Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasuray View Post
Sorry guys, I've two silly questions. Road Pilot or VX140 S which one is better? Though prices are nearer for these two. Secondly, updates for maps are how much required?
Regards.

IMHO MMI UI interface design is not worth the more expensive devices. Just get the cheapest RP and be happy.

--Ragul
Old 25th August 2011, 09:26   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
IMHO MMI UI interface design is not worth the more expensive devices. Just get the cheapest RP and be happy.

--Ragul
Sorry but i disagree. When you are spending a 8K for the device. and the difference to get a better unit is only 2K. I highly recommend going in for the better device.
along with the below mentioned advantages.
There are a few more which you can compare on the MMI website.

Open the respective PND pages.
and click on Harware.
You will see that the screen resolution as well as the battery of the VX 140 S is better than that of the Road Pilot.

So spending the extra 2K does gives you some decent advantages.
Old 25th August 2011, 10:31   #48
BHPian

Similar to the CASKA unit , I use MMI ver 6 on my Witson. I use the sygic ver 10 on my N8. Works like a charm. No issues so far. Has always been accurrate, provided you have entered the correct spelling of the place. As mentioned in this thread, in both the Win CE version and the Sygic version, just typing in the initial few characters suffices to give you options. I guess both versions are the same, except for the interface being different. POI ,s are aplenty in both versions. I have used it extensively for travelling within kerala and from cochin to wayanad to bangalore to trivandrum.
Have tried all modes- shortest (takes you through very narrow roads (within kerala) and is fun to travel by as its a very scenic route with very sparse traffic, Fastest- takes you via the road frequently travelled. Sometimes , though i wonder how it decides the same as the shortest route , takes longer cuz of the narrow roads. the fastest route also takes time cuz of the traffic congestion.

Yet to update to ver 6.1.
ventolute is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 18:20   #49
BHPian

MMI website is saying that VX140S is equipped with windshield mount and dashboard mount but actually it contains only windshield one. How it is possible?Battery for this is also very poor performance.
Old 30th August 2011, 20:24   #50
Senior - BHPian

The 'dashboard' mount is quite likely a round disc with a round double-sided tape on one face, and a smooth surface on the other. One is supposed to stick the tape side to the dash, and mount the suction cup of the Windshield mount on the smooth side of the disc! Even Garmin has the same type. Check for the disc in the original packing.
Old 30th August 2011, 21:44   #51
BHPian

Folks,

I will be doing a weekend vacation with family towards Chikmagalur and surrounding areas starting 2-sep to 4-sep where I will be rolling off my MMI for the 1st long drive after I did the Mysore trip during my initial review.

Shall update you more on that once I am back.

Cheers,
Kiran
Old 31st August 2011, 00:43   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The 'dashboard' mount is quite likely a round disc with a round double-sided tape on one face, and a smooth surface on the other. One is supposed to stick the tape side to the dash, and mount the suction cup of the Windshield mount on the smooth side of the disc! Even Garmin has the same type. Check for the disc in the original packing.
Question, even i got a similar mount with the Smartphone stand i bought. But i could never fit it to my Cedia's dash as it's curved and would never hold. How do you put it on dashboards which are not flat.
Old 31st August 2011, 10:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

First find the most convenient 'almost flat' area on the dash where you would like to mount the disc. Trial mount the disc there (without removing the waxy paper on the tape). Note down how much are gaps in places where the dash is not touching the disc. Cut and trim some strips of double sided tape to compensate for the gaps.

After that, remove the waxy paper from the disc and one side of the ds-tape strips, stick the ds-tape strips to the disc. Clean and dry the dash area, and stick the whole thing to the dash with some pressure. Check if the adhesive area is in contact with the dash all around. Make sure the disc has not bent or buckled, otherwise the suction cup will not adhere well.

Last edited by DerAlte : 31st August 2011 at 10:25.
Old 31st August 2011, 14:28   #54
J.Ravi

While exploring my MMI Lx130 navigator with v6.1 maps today, I found out that in the Settings>Language>Indian English option too in addition to English US. The previous version 6.0 did not have that Indian English option. I observed that while English US had two voice options, viz., male and female, the Indian English has Sangeeta only; no male voice option.

Old 6th September 2011, 21:12   #55
BHPian

Friends,

Glad to announce that I have recently come back from the long weekend vacationing at Chikmagalur covering Sringeri ->Agumbe->Shravanabelagola using the MMI v6.1 on Caska and trust me it did not let me down even for a single moment throughout the journey.

I will be updating the thread with detailed review on this and much more to follow in my travelogue soon.

Cheers,
Kiran
Old 6th September 2011, 22:45   #56
Senior - BHPian

Folks , I have a query . I am interested in buying a hand held GPS system . Its heartening to read the various nice reviews of MMI . I wanted to know if MMI can work abroad too ( of course post loading the relevant map which I will buy separately ) . I know it works for Garmin but given the nice reviews of MMI and the good maps of India I am more inclined to go for the MMI - wanted to ensure that the equipment can be used abroad ( Europe / North America) too . Would the SD slot of MMI be similar to Garmin , do these follow any industry standard ?
Old 7th September 2011, 08:49   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc
Folks , I have a query . I am interested in buying a hand held GPS system . Its heartening to read the various nice reviews of MMI . I wanted to know if MMI can work abroad too ( of course post loading the relevant map which I will buy separately ) . I know it works for Garmin but given the nice reviews of MMI and the good maps of India I am more inclined to go for the MMI - wanted to ensure that the equipment can be used abroad ( Europe / North America) too . Would the SD slot of MMI be similar to Garmin , do these follow any industry standard ?
Sourav won't it be better to go for a good mobile phone with 4 inch resolution or so? MMI uses Sygic for mobiles and Sygic works globally, provided you get the license for respective countries. Also, the cost of MMI on mobiles is 1990.
Old 8th September 2011, 22:04   #58
BHPian

Folks, may I request for some help please? I'm looking to update the maps (MapMyIndia) on my in-dash device (Kenwood). The model is this: MapmyIndia Navigator In Dash Car Navi box : With India's best maps and driving directions | Turn-by-turn directions | Travel across India

Mine came with the ICE which was already fitted onto my Ford Endeavour on purchase.

Two questions:
- How do I update the maps for this model?
- For a start, how do I find the MapMyIndia ID in the Ford Endeavour, and how can I check the version of the maps that's currently in the device? The dealer gave no manual for the sat nav system

Anybody help?
Old 9th September 2011, 21:52   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Folks, may I request for some help please? I'm looking to update the maps (MapMyIndia) on my in-dash device (Kenwood). The model is this: MapmyIndia Navigator In Dash Car Navi box : With India's best maps and driving directions | Turn-by-turn directions | Travel across India

Mine came with the ICE which was already fitted onto my Ford Endeavour on purchase.

Two questions:
- How do I update the maps for this model?
- For a start, how do I find the MapMyIndia ID in the Ford Endeavour, and how can I check the version of the maps that's currently in the device? The dealer gave no manual for the sat nav system

Anybody help?
Dude,

To find the version, you can go to Menu->scroll all the way down and go to about option. There you will find all the information related to the Device and also regarding MMI version.

This is how I found out in my MMI that has been integrated with CASKA HU via SD Card.

For updating the version, you will have to plugin the SD card on to your pc, then go to MMI website and register your device for updates. Select the desired update option (onetime update per year should do that costs 2K), make the payment by entering all details

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Kiran
kirantp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 10:48   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
For updating the version, you will have to plugin the SD card on to your pc, then go to MMI website and register your device for updates.
Kiran, very informative and helpful; thanks! I now only need to know where the device is fitted in my vehicle so that I can take out the SD card. Do you/anyone else know this? If the device is within reach or involves just a couple of screws or nuts, this is a DIY job.

I spoke to the listed MapMyIndia Service Centre in Chennai and they also didn't have an idea where the device is in the vehicle.

Thanks again, Shyam

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks